Start by marking “Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System” as Want to Read:
Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System

Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System

How do you detangle a monolithic system and migrate it to a microservices architecture? How do you do it while maintaining business-as-usual? As a companion to Sam Newman's extremely popular Building Microservices, this new book details a proven method for transitioning an existing monolithic system to a microservice architecture.

With many illustrative examples, insightful
Published September 4th 2019 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Monolith to Microservices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monolith to Microservices

Start your review of Monolith to Microservices: Sustaining Productivity While Detangling the System
Sebastian Gebski
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sam Newman did it again. He has written a very good book on microservices.
The one which is technology-agnostic & in the same time - very practical.
What I like most is that Sam doesn't try to avoid answering uncomfortable questions - e.g. what to do when we have queries spanning across separate storages. Another positive fact is that we're not getting 100th description of what is CQRS & Eventsourcing.

What else? There's no zealotry, no expressed preferences regarding any particular tools (except S
Max Wolffe
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall I found this book to be an excellent, practical guide to approaching a monolith decomposition, though I have a few issues with it.

The Good:
- Newman starts by presenting all of the reasons why you might want to do microservices and how you could solve them WITHOUT doing microservices. This was the main complaint with "Building Microservices" which presents microservices without being too critical about when one would want to avoid microservices.
- There's a great section describing how o
Jakub
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What I liked a most in the book is that is short and dense. It have everything in proper amount of length, giving a good overview of the problems, and provide some of possible solution to them with a bit of “what I would do”.

Really good book.
Victor
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-tech
Practical advice on how to move to Microservices. It also discusses the reasons you would want to migrate your app to a Microservices architectural style and even gives alternatives that might help you achieve the same goal without migrating. I liked the realistic examples, trade-off analysis.

I enjoyed Chapter 4, on Decomposing the Database the most, because I think that's probably the hardest part when migrating to Microservices (and the one that gets the least amount of coverage in many resour
Mahmoud Tantawy
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
One word: BORING
The book is basically 2~3 chapters and bunch of filler chapters.
If you have some experience or got your hands dirty already with microservices, then probably the majority of the book is known to you, the material you read and watch online on daily basis covers the majority of the book.
If you don't have any experience with microservices AND you've been living in a cave to avoid online material about microservices then it might be a good book for you.
Denis Romanovsky
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice book with lots of recepies, patterns and best practices for breaking monoliths into microservices. Not too detailed into tech stuff, but still good anough.
Luboš
May 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I went through many of mentioned problems in hard way. Anyway, it was a good opportunity to stop and think. I like that this book does not push microservices for everything. Architectonic hints described in the book could be handy for any modular system.

I got a free copy via nginx
David Stevenson
A great thing about this book is that it covers a lot of the non-technical prerequisites that need to be considered within an organization, before even bothering to attempt to migrate to a microservices architecture. Basic questions about “why” an organization would even want to do that are not-so common sense, but essential. Without knowing why your organization wants to make such a move most likely condemns the “IT department” to merely creating the legacy systems of tomorrow.
There is also cov
Xanan
Sep 11, 2020 rated it liked it
The book approaches the problem of migrating an existing monolithic architecture to a microservice architecture.
The book considers technical as well as non-technical issues involved in the migration.
The technical part of the book (Chapters 3 and 4) is still very high level. No programming language is used and no code examples are given.
Potential problems and possible solutions are clearly illustrated with pros and cons.

The first chapter introduces the monolithic design, its defining characterist
Regis Hattori
Mar 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book has some good advice on how to manage an application or database migration in small steps.

The first and last chapters are just an introduction to microservices and their problems. Nothing new especially for those who have already read "Building Microservices".

The second chapter helps us to plan the migration including the soft skills required. But more interesting than that, it shows us that depend on the problems we are trying to solve there are some easier and cheaper alternatives t
Vinayak Hegde
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written book on the different problems that you are likely to encounter when migrating from a monolith to a distributed systems microservices architecture. The book is neatly divided into different parts that cover different technical and non0technical aspects of making the move such as figuring out if microservices architecture is the right path for you (Chapter 1), getting the right team and team structure in place and also management buy-ins (Chapter 2), breaking down code and migratin ...more
Bartłomiej Falkowski
Mar 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
It's so hard to write a good book about software architecture. I think you have two options: digging deeply into the technical details or trying to be technologicaly agnostic and relying only on "abstractions". This book is of the latter type - word "Docker" is used only once and word "Kubernetess" is used less than five times :) And this is a really good book.

What I liked:
- Simplicity. All the patterns short and well explained. Moreover, we always have a context of usage - it's easier to put it
Saran Sivashanmugam
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it
Another great microservices book from Sam Newman. I felt this is a sequel to his earlier book, Building Microservices. Sam updated some concepts from recent microservices evolution such as choreographed vs orchestrated Sagas, added infrastructure evolution such as Kubernetes. I loved the depth he covered the monolith database refactoring and the simple but elegant solutions he proposed using schemas and views in existing database engine for refactoring. I'm a fan of Sam's pragmatic approach when ...more
Koosh Doc
Apr 07, 2021 rated it liked it
This book seems to be a step 1 if an organization is flirting with the idea of moving from a monolith to microservices. I like the fact the author is honest about evaluating your needs before allowing yourself to be swept by the herd. Since I am a part of an organization which has already made the decision to switch to using microservices (and rightly so!!), it's interesting to know that some issues are quite widespread regardless of which organization you work for and actually see them in front ...more
adnan rafiq
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure excellence - must read

It is an amazing book. It covers everything from start to end. If you want to travel the road of Microservices.

It’s structured in a way that fits the mental model of monolith developers but to evaluate Microservices architecture. It’s going to serve a glossary of what to do & what not to do when doing Microservices.

Starts with simple 3 questions, during the journey you would feel yeah it feels very real. But without single line of code. You will get answers along th
Fermin Quant
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very well written book, which shows in every page the experience of the author on the topic. It really puts into perspective the huge task of moving to microservices from a monolith, the most common pitfalls, and provides possible solutions to them.
The book is mostly useful as a reference for your journey of moving to microservices, it is not an absolute proven guide of not failing, but more a collection of very well organized experiences that will help you avoid most common problems and kind
Damian Zydek
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Why Sam Newman wrote this book? (IMO)

Because as Martin Fowler wrote, "You must be THIS tall to use microservices".

When should I move to microservice architecture?
What are the pros and cons of microservice architecture?
Which module of my system should I move as first?
What is the process of refactoring to microservices?
What are the best practices for refactoring to microservices?
What new problems will occur after moving to microservice architecture?

This book will help you grow to "THIS" tall by a
Lazar Dilov
Mar 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Honestly in the past years I have read a lot of titles about microservices architecture but this one turned out to be actually useful for me and my job. For the last two years I was desperately trying to get rid of monolithic structured applications and this book gave me the best approaches to do that! It is fairly simple but really practical and useful! Congrats to Newman! Although there were many thing I already knew, there were also some observations and simple advices that can definitely cha ...more
Rafael Gorski
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This a review for the first chapter of the book... I like the written approach/style of the book. It initiates from core concepts of coupling and cohesion which are the core principle and linked well with microservices decompositions and common scenarios.

Thoughts for an extension for the book:
I thought this chapter one is a good link to the requirements phase. The requirements being decomposed in the same way as a pre-design phase to then prepare for microservices design.
Christopher Tobin-campbell
Good overview - pretty basic if you’ve had Microservices experience before

The first 4 chapters go over patterns of migrating from monolith to Microservices, the pros and cons of Microservices, and other such things. If you’ve done any work with Microservices, much of this will be familiar.

I found chapter 5 to be the most interesting chapter. It discusses the growing pains you’re likely to run into, and gives some good advice on how to address those pains.
Viktor Malyshev
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not really a super technical book. It's about thinking about microservices, resolving problems with it. And thinking about how to solve those problems. Key ideas from the book: give yourself time to get better at building microservices and get enough information before actually deciding to go into MS world.
I recommend reading this book to all who are struggling with a monolithic approach where microservices can do the job.
Ebouks
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Good introductory to transforming a monolith into a microservices-based system. It lays out the main ideas nicely. However, it’s a bit naive and doesn’t touch on real-world systems which are way more complex.

Buy the ebook now:

Monolith to Microservices: Evolutionary Patterns to Transform Your Monolith 1st Edition
Sindhu
Apr 15, 2021 rated it liked it
This book can introduce you to micro service patterns, case studies and potential issues ! This can definitely be used as reference when you have a huge monolith(db or service) and you don’t know where to start your decomposition!

P.S.: Chapter 5 is just a brief summary on all the downsides he has been discussing in each section! Skip it if you have already understood the core idea!

I would give 3.5/5!
Tom
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good, very practical review of the thought processes and real-world symptoms and consequences when considering a move to microservices. You'll need to think for this one, as the author doesn't hand you the answers, but if you do think through this material, you'll be equipped for the squishy world of actual professional software development. ...more
Ibrahim Tasyurt
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The author puts together the challenges&opportunities when a transforming monolith to micro-services. Also compiles the patterns to migrate the code and data. The patterns described in this book is not only applicable to micros-ervices transformation but any kind of re-write and migration cases.
Jack
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
Newman compiled a decent survey of the different patterns you can use to break apart a monolith. Unfortunately with this type of book most of the patterns don't apply to your particular situation. Having said that, the patterns were well explained and for visual learners it includes clear diagrams to illustrate designs. I'll report back once we break apart our monolith :) ...more
Aaron
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great content, very helpful. The meat of the book could have been organized a bit better, and some topics could have used a bit more expansion. Could have used more depth on data migration strategies -- the dual write strategy almost completely ignores possible consistency issues due to partial failures.
Boyan
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I have been working with microservices for the past 6-7 years, reading this book I learnt I lot more. I like the way the author has structured the book with concrete examples for different cases.
Isaac Perez Moncho
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good book, if you are thinking about microservices you must read it.
It explains the different ways you can migrate from a monolith to microservices, but also tries to explain how to understand if this move is right for you.
A brief summary would be: "strangler patter" and it's not easy.
Hosein
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fundamental book which introduces the problems and approaches of the migration to Microservices.
I was already familiar with some topics but enjoyed reading it because there were some edge cases also explained there.

• Fundamentals of Software Architecture: An Engineering Approach
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • A Philosophy of Software Design
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • Implementing Domain-Driven Design
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Gradle Effective Implementations Guide - Second Edition
  • The Software Architect Elevator: Transforming Enterprises with Technology and Business Architecture

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“As developers, we often react badly when we see duplication. We worry about the extra cost of managing duplicate copies of information, and are even more concerned if this data diverges. But sometimes duplication is the lesser of two evils. Accepting some duplication in data may be a sensible trade-off if it means we avoid introducing coupling.” 0 likes
“Importance of Incremental Migration If you do a big-bang rewrite, the only thing you’re guaranteed of is a big bang.” 0 likes