Start by marking “Chapter Two Is Missing” as Want to Read:
Chapter Two Is Missing

Chapter Two Is Missing

Chapter Two is Missing is a hilarious picture book mystery starring a hopelessly lost narrator, an unqualified detective, and a very sneaky janitor, who are all surprised to discover that second chapter of the very book of which they are a part is--gasp--missing!

Do not be alarmed, but the second chapter of this book appears to be missing! It was here a minute ago, but
Published October 29th 2019 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Chapter Two Is Missing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chapter Two Is Missing

Start your review of Chapter Two Is Missing
Heidi
Chapter Two is Missing is a funny picture book that's been divided into chapters. Unfortunately, chapter two appears to be missing. Thus the narrator sets off on a furious journey to find it. The book janitor and police detective though seem to get in the way more than they seem to assist him in his efforts. In fact, the janitor keeps swiping letters and grammatical marks and the detective is clearly lacking in competence. There's even a chapter that clearly doesn't belong in the book that gets ...more
Edward Sullivan
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quite silly work of metafiction and mystery.
Brian
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have not laughed so much while reading for a long, long time. Josh Lieb’s cleverness and irreverence is reminiscent of Jon Scieszka’s The Stinky Cheese Man. He engages the reader from the start, well..at least from chapter 2! And he weaves in concepts of print in a fun, creative way. Loved it!
Brian
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, kids
I loved this book....but why, oh why did the publisher glue down the rear dust jacket is there was crucial information there?!?!?
Michele Knott
Don't be surprised when readers take this one with them to the bathroom.... for a very valid reason!
Pop Bop
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
MetaFiction For the Elementary School Crowd

At the outset I thought this might end up being a sort of "Monster at the End of This Book" kind of tale. I was wrong. This is a sly, witty, and marvelously inventive book with an exceptionally sophisticated approach to word play, drawing, and the idea of what a book is. The fact that it is funny and entertaining, and that it is perfectly accessible to even the youngest reader is pretty amazing.

The premise is simple enough. Chapter Two of the book has
Jill
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
The children’s book Chapter Two Is Missing has some problems. First of all, and I hope that this is not a spoiler for you, but the second chapter has gone missing. Punctuation is in the wrong place. There are M’s all over the floor. And one chapter seems to be from a different book. But don’t worry. Detective McGarrigan is on the case. And with the help of you as the reader, Milo the janitor, and a hapless narrator, we might be able to crack the case after all.

It won’t be easy. Things keep
Tasha
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
The book begins with Chapter One, of course, where it is discovered that Chapter Two is missing! A phone number for the police, an email and even a place to tweet is offered to the reader. When the page is turned to Chapter Two, the reader only sees some erased and illegible text on a few pages. Then the book picks up again in mid-story. The chapters move past quickly, with even the characters noting the brisk pace. The detective arrives, the janitor redecorates with M’s and messes with ...more
Jessica (Spooky KidLit & We Who Walk Here, Walk Alone)
This wild and witty story is an exciting picture book debut from author Josh Lieb. The hilarious dialogue obliterates the fourth wall, drawing the reader in and guaranteeing that this will be a read-aloud favorite. Kevin Cornell’s clever, playful illustrations work perfectly with the text, adding deliciously absurd details and making big laughs even bigger. Kids will love this brilliant combination of humor and mystery.

My thanks to Razorbill and Edelweiss+ for providing an advance copy in
Lisa Swope
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A whodunit for the ages!
In the spirit of "The Monster at the End of this Book", Milo breaks the fourth wall to engage the reader in helping him find chapter two, unaided by a blundering detective, and actively hindered by a nefarious janitor who, among other things, heaps all the "M"s from one entire page, into a neat little pile. A creative story for nonlinear thinkers.
Andrew
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whether one reads it by themselves, or reads it with another, this mystery is bound to make you laugh. The personality in this book flies off the pages, much like Chapter Two seems to have. The grammar puns and literal playing with words and letters is a hoot! Will we get Chapter Two back? Read inside for the full scoop.
Mollie
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm in between 2 & 3 stars. This wasn't bad, there were some clever bits and sight gags that made me chuckle. But it felt kind of long, whereas I've read books that did similar things more succinctly and, I feel, more successfully.
Deana Metzke
Really it's a 4.5, the only reason it didn't get 5 from me was I didn't particularly like the name calling. Otherwise, this is a very funny book, a simple mystery that had me and my kids laughing out loud.
Sue
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very fun book about a missing chapter in a book. The characters are trying to figure out who took it and are determined to find it. Throughout the book, other things are taken like the letter m and punctuation marks.
Erin
There was a lot of unnecessary "stupid" and "idiot" being thrown around that dated this. The humor could have been retained without the insults, and it was unfortunate because there were a lot of funny things to discover here.
Emily
This could be fun as a class read or a mystery reader read-a-loud.
Peter
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 19nov
So so good!
Jj
Thanks to Penguin Young Readers for the review copy.
Jaymie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Wordy for a picture book. Silly premise with interesting execution. Might not be a great fit for reading to a group - might work better in lap reading or for kids who can read it themselves.
Ellon
Weird but oddly fun and charming at the same time.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Grab
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
rollicking
Alice
Nov 01, 2019 added it
I did not really miss chapter two.
Alexis Drake
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, ebook
Very original and interesting story. It's perfect for a younger reader, and the illustrations are cute and really funny.
However I had a lot of problems with my copy: my phone and my e-reader cannot open it, and I had to read it on my computer, and sometimes it couldn't open a page, maybe because the illustrations were too big to download.
Relyn
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Relyn by: Sent to me by the publisher for Show Me Nominee consideration.
This is witty and hilarious and way too long for most picture book readers.
Tonya
Nov 09, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Who Wet My Pants?
  • Kevin the Unicorn: It's Not All Rainbows
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
  • The Perfect Seat
  • High Five
  • Llama Destroys the World
  • Just in Case You Want to Fly
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • The Hike: (Nature Book for Kids, Outdoors-Themed Picture Book for Preschoolers and Kindergarteners)
  • Gross as a Snot Otter
  • Just Because
  • Grumpy Monkey Party Time!
  • Another
Josh Lieb is an Emmy-winning Executive Producer of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, and has worked on such shows as The Simpsons and NewsRadio.

I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President is his first novel. He lives in New York with his wife and family.