Start by marking “Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar, #2)” as Want to Read:
Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar, #2)

Drop Shot

(Myron Bolitar #2)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  28,011 ratings  ·  1,356 reviews
In the second Myron Bolitar novel from Edgar Award–winner Harlan Coben, a young woman’s tragic death spirals into a shattering drama of menace, secrets, and rage. Suddenly Myron is in over his head—and playing the most dangerous game of all.

Once, Valerie Simpson’s tennis career skyrocketed; now, the headlines belong to a player from the wrong side of the tracks. But when V
Mass Market Paperback, 341 pages
Published February 5th 1996 by Dell Publishing Company

·  28,011 ratings  ·  1,356 reviews

Start your review of Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar, #2)
Suzanne
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-donated
Reading has turned me into a bad mother. I jest. Honestly, I just read at any chance I can get. I am known to walk and read, in the house mind you, not even out and about. I was fraught to put this one down. Mr Coben has delivered again, just as I knew he would. My Goodreads friends know I’ve a wee crush on him, or would that be Myron? (Yes you read that correctly).

Our protagonist here, Myron Bolitar, is an ex superstar sportsman but now super witted and super smart Sports Agent. He’s not a mobs
Jeffrey Keeten
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, sports
”Tennis needed new blood, and Duane Richwood was the most exhilarating transfusion to come along in years. Courier and Sampras were about as exciting as dry dog food. The Swedish players were always a snooze-a-thon. Agazzi’s act was growing wearisome. McEnroe and Connors were history.

So enter Duane Richwood. Colorful, funny, slightly controversial, but not yet hated. He was black and he was from the streets, but he was perceived as ‘safe’ street, ‘safe’ black, the kind of guy even racists could
Kemper
Myron Bolitar makes me feel lazy and unmotivated for being a simple cube farmer. He could have been a basketball star but blew out his knee after being drafted by the Celtics. His consolation prize was a law degree from Harvard and then a job doing some shady stuff as some kind of secret government spook. After he got tired of that, he decided to be a sports agent and started his own business.

Myron’s got a new client in rising tennis star Duane Richwood who is tearing through the US Open. Valer
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
I listened to the audiobook of Drop Shot. It was a fun, entertaining and an easy one to listen to that didn’t require my full focus. I was thoroughly entertained by Myron’s wit, charm and sarcasm. I loved the twist and ending to this mystery that I didn't see coming.

Matthew
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2015, library, mystery, humor
A nice, quick, humorous little murder mystery. Only my second Bolitar book, but I can already say I am looking forward to reading more of the adventures of Myron and Win.
Lisa
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
I just love love love Harlan coben he is such a prolific storyteller & his characters are so endearing & believable Drop Shot had me in from the first chapter it had everything a thriller should have. being a tennis fan the plot sold me I felt all this hits & misses that this book contained such a high standard of writing had me intrigued right to the very last chapter.

Valerie Simpson was found shot after the U.S Open she was at the end of her career Myron was brought in to find out who killed h
Phrynne
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable book. I love the main character, Myron Bolitar but really Win his off sider deserves points for being the best invention ever in this type of book. Usually the good guys are moral and ethical and thus have a disadvantage against the baddies who have no such restraints. Win has no moral issues to contend with resulting in the excellent scene in this story where he and Aaron are supposed to be fighting fair with no guns and Win whips out a second gun and shoots Aaron in the head ...more
Rob
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
Number two in the Myron Bolitar series.

Harlan Coben is indeed a master story teller.

For those of you that don’t know Myron’s history he was a superstar athlete in the making until a serious injury ended his dreams. But he’s a man of many talents and now he is a successful sports agent and lawyer. With his best mate Windsor Horne Lockwood 111, a sociopath with a conscience, an oxymoron I know but you have to read the book to understand, he tries really hard to right the wrongs of the world.

On th
Strawberry Fields
This guy is becoming one of my favorite authors very quickly! This is the second Myron Bolitar book in the series. I didn't think this one was as good as the first one, but I really liked it anyway.

The best part of the book is the witty banter Myron pulls out with just about everybody, even people who want to kill him. His wonderful sarcasm spikes all throughout the books and I just love that. Win is also one of the better characters I have seen in a while. He has some despicable behaviors, but
Ellen
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coben, mystery-sleuth
Drop shot by Harlan Coben.

Let me begin by stating that I like (very much) the lead character, Myron Bolitar.

Myron is at the U.S. Open as an observer, a fan and a sports agent. One of the tennis stars of yesterday has been murdered outside the stadium. Myron begins his own investigation only to discover that another unsolved murder took place 6 years prior to this murder. Is there a connection?

I was so pleasantly surprised to find that this author is capable of entertaining on yet another level
Dorothy
Jul 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The stench of testosterone emanating from the pages of this book made me want to open a window to get some fresh air while I was reading it. Or maybe go outside and take a walk in the sunshine instead of reading it.

This is the second in Harlan Coben's sports agent/detective Myron Bolitar series. I read the first one for my Mystery Book Club last year and I liked it well enough to give the second one a try. I have two more in this series on my Kindle but I don't think I'll be turning to them anyt
Harry
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beginning to exhaust my hunt for the loner, the hunter as a singular and main hero...a new trend seems to be emerging, the disassociation of the hunter and conscientious hero into two separate characters: the main character and his loner side-kick. Several authors embrace this genre motif: Robert Crais's Elvis Cole and his side-kick Joe Pike and of course Harlan Coben's Mylor Bolitar and his elitist side-kick Win.

Of this genre, Coben is probably the most adept at creating complex and winning cha
Shorty
This novel was a bit better than the first one. It's a solid series, with interesting characters, and a driven plot line. I had no idea who the killer was, until the end. Which was different from the Big Secret. I had thought I had the Big Secret figured out in the first quarter of the novel, and had seen it coming a mile away. But then the big twist got even twisty-er, and out twisted me....darn good one, too.
What happened to one slightly more important female character at the end was really a
Jenny
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
Drop Shot is book two in Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben. Myron Bolitar was watching one of his clients at the US Open when Valerie Simpson was shot and killed. Myron Bolitar decided to investigate her death when he found out that she was trying to contact him and a friend of Win. However, he did not understand the consequences of the investigation would have on him and everyone associated with him. The readers of Drop Shot will follow the twist and turns in Myron Bolitar investigation into ...more
Victor *I Miss "FREE HUGS"*
Turns out my light bulb wasn't dim after all ;)
Rhonda B
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: harlan-coben
Myron and Win are back to their detective antics in this second book of the series and they certainly entertain me with their banter. The entire story had my attention trying to figure out which of the characters were IT. Harlan kept the plot stirring until the very end, oh man, you got me!!!! NICE
David
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed
Coben has invented a formula for making his hero more human. His formula works wonders as his hero goes about solving mysteries that usually revolve around the professional sports world.

First, give your hero an unassuming name like Myron. It isn't the most masculine sounding name and I don't mean any disrespect to Myrons out there in the reading world. Even John Wayne opted to change his name from Marion in order to create the persona we later called the Duke.

Second, give your hero a fascination
Corey
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun humor-filled quick murder mystery. Myron Bolitar and Win may be one of my favorite book duos, their relationship is similar to that of Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh from the Lethal Weapon Franchise.

Sports agent Myron Bolitar is about to become the advisor for Tennis pro Valerie Simpson, she is killed by an unknown assailant right outside the Tennis stadium during a match. And Bolitar, along with Win investigates the killing, and also uncovers a connection between the shooting and a 6-ye
Holly
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harlan-coben
Myron Bolitar has just been added to my list of favorite characters. He's right up there with Alex Delaware. I like him more and more with each book I read. Highly recommended!
Colin Mitchell
Myron Bolitar has a new "hot shot" tennis player signed to his agency when a fallen former teenage female player who is trying to contact Myron is shot dead at the US Open while his coming star, Duane Richwood is moving his way into the semi finals.

Needless to say the Ache brothers are connected to this world of threats and try to strong arm Myron. His friend Win his psychopathic friend is there when things start to get nasty as Myron digs into the past killings of a senators son and an apparent
Gary
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
The 2nd book in the Myron Boilitar series by Harlan Coben and for me a rare case. I am normally a big fan of Harlan Coben's work and this series in particular but this book failed to grab me like the others have and I felt that I could only give it a 3 star rating. I have marked so many of his books 4/5 stars which is certainly the case with his latest novel The Stranger but this one did not quite hit the spot. I am sure the next one will be back up there.
Jim
Good characters in a twisty mystery. Nothing too special about it & the big reveal was pretty obvious early on, but it was still an interesting journey. The story was self-contained, but I'd still recommend reading the series in order, especially the first book first due to the recurring characters. They're the main focus. Well narrated. ...more
Shauna
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
I have been looking forward to reading a Myron Bolitar mystery for a while, but this one did not live up to my expectations. The much-vaunted humor was repetitive, and the plot itself just wasn't all that compelling. Sorry, Myron; I really DID want to like you.
K
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Neighborhood book boxes are a bit like Costco used to be-- one never knows what treasure will turn up, but occasionally, there's a nice surprise. Such was the case for me with Drop Shot. This is the 2nd in the "Myron Bolitar" series, but the first for me with this author.

Having some experience in the tennis world, I was more than a little curious how this plot would combine the U.S.Open with a murder mystery. Pretty well, as it turns out. I know Coben is both prolific and popular, and I can und
Rebeka
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mystery
I don't think I can explain how much I love Harlan Coben writing style. Amazing.

This book is hilarious and it made me laugh even though it's a murder mystery. I recommend it (or any Harlan Coben book for that matter) to everyone who is new to this genre. He's one of the "lightest" mystery/thiller/crime authors that I've read so far. It's perfect for someone who can't stand a very picturesque description of victims and he's the author I pick when I need a break from hardcore psychological thrill
Mahoghani 23
Myron Bolitar looks at the world as black and white but truly knows there is gray matter within. Mr. Cohen took us on a journey into the tennis world and within, it can be just as scary as life on the street. This story deals with the love of a mother and how far she's willing to go to save her son from people who don't care about taking a life to cover their secrets.

Within this story there's murder, pedophilia, love, secrets, dysfunctional family members and how money makes people do selfish th
Baba
Myron Bolitar book 2: Set in the world of professional tennis; Myron looks into 2 related murders 6 years apart; Aaron's back; and we get to really understand Win. Some solid mythos building in this book, the second in the series, which I've only now managed to get my hands on. 6 out of 12.
Katherine "Kj" Joslin
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2020-march
I am loving this main character, Myron Bolitar is witty and smart, Win Lockwood III with his black and white sense of justice. I am enjoying the new series and the characters.
Sakina Carter
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this series years ago, although bit in order because I don't remember reading this one.

Myron is such an enjoyable character to read about. This was a good suspense, I was more than halfway through the book before I started putting the pieces together.

As always, Win the sociopath best friend to Myron was my favorite. I love him so damn much.

Eddie Owens
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Goodreads Librari...: Add published date 6 18 Jul 05, 2016 12:18AM

• Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine #2)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Harlan Coben: Series Reading Order
  • Camino Winds (Camino Island #2)
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport #30)
  • One Good Deed
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Forgotten Man (Elvis Cole, #10)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Scarecrow (Jack McEvoy, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #19)
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • Dark Sacred Night (Renée Ballard, #2; Harry Bosch, #21; Harry Bosch Universe, #31)
  • The Reversal (Mickey Haller, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #21)
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • The Guardians
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut

Myron Bolitar (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar, #1)
  • Fade Away (Myron Bolitar, #3)
  • Back Spin (Myron Bolitar, #4)
  • One False Move (Myron Bolitar, #5)
  • The Final Detail (Myron Bolitar, #6)
  • Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar, #7)
  • Promise Me (Myron Bolitar, #8)
  • Long Lost  (Myron Bolitar, #9)
  • Live Wire (Myron Bolitar, #10)
  • Home (Myron Bolitar, #11)