Start by marking “Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja” as Want to Read:
Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja

Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja

Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja uses practical examples to clearly illustrate each core concept and technique. This completely revised edition shows you how to master key JavaScript concepts such as functions, closures, objects, prototypes, and promises. It covers APIs such as the DOM, events, and timers. You’ll discover best practice techniques such as testing, and cross- ...more
Published January 17th 2013 by Manning Publications (first published 2008)

Start your review of Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja
Denis
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Since JavaScript is the most popular language on GitHub, it is reasonable to assume that at some point any decent programmer will use it. For a long time, however, it has not been obvious whether we have to actually learn JavaScript. Some would even argue that CoffeeScript is a better language and we should skip learning JavaScript altogether.

In my opinion, this is a faulty path. Although some people, especially those with Ruby background, may find the syntax of CoffeeScript rather appealing, it
Jeanne Boyarsky
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
“Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja” has four parts. Two are awesome, one was ok and one went over my head. Let's look at each section in turn.

Preparing for training
The first two chapters cover some important concepts such as how to test, log and watch out for performance problems. I'll be honest. At this point in the book, I was thinking the book was “fair.” There was important information but it was a little dry. And there was page of code without any footnotes explaining it and only a brief desc
Naum
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I believe I purchased this book back in 2008 or 2009 -- it was an early purchase, with rights to read the developing digital text. Well, in 2013, a physical paper copy finally showed up on my doorstep.

Have seen criticism that this book doesn't cover asynchronous module loading and definition, newer javascript frameworks and/or that it looks like just a blatant money grab by jQuery creator and esteemed Javascript hacker emeritus John Resig. The latter charges are beyond silly and the beef about
Ryan Chong
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the most clear cut, humorous and entertaining javascript book I have ever read.

When it comes to programming books, most of them are understandably quite technical and dry. Some may sound very academic and one just have to plow through the pages with lots of coffee to keep us awake.

But this book is different. Right from the attention-grabbing title, the authors turned the usually dry technical details into a highly entertaining book that peels away many mysteries of Javascript. Arm
Phat Nguyen
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the best books to read to become an excellent Javascript developer. The main difference between this book and others is that the author is amazingly experienced in writing Javascript code, and their understanding of the languages and new features is so deep that their main focus is to make sure the readers will gain a much deeper understading of the new features on the ground and the below mechanics underground.

The exercises are added to this new edition, but they serves mainly
Sebastian Gebski
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another JavaScript book? What would be the point of reading another JavaScript book? These were exactly my thoughts, but I've reconsidered when I'd found out that it's author (John Resig) is creator of jQuery - it's certainly some kind of a proof that this dude is surely capable of telling you something valuable about JavaScript. Of course being a good programmer doesn't make you a good writer, but I was eager to take the risk.

So, the book is good, maybe even very good. I love the way he approac
Warren Bank
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It goes without saying that John deserves all the respect in the world. When he speaks (or writes a book), the wise thing to do is to be quiet and listen/read.

Having finished this book, my over-all review is that this was definitely a worth-while read. The reader shouldn't expect the skies to part and a beam of light to shine down. Personally, I found a few pearls.. very useful tips that I wasn't aware were possible (passing a callback function to String.replace to operate on regex capture group
Cristian
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m a bit torn giving 3 stars to this book, since it’s packed with good info and I’d definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to learn JavaScript. Unfortunately, I felt it overly repetitive; most, if not all, of the relevant content can probably fit in half the amount of pages.
Doniyor
Mar 30, 2019 added it
Shelves: js, coding
Really great book. I have got many knowledge from this book. I was't sure about how this keyword works in JS, after reading book I am confident with them
Sergey
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic book for anyone serious about his/her JavaScript skills.

In my opinion there are two categories of people who will benefit from reading this book. First - someone who has basic JavaScript knowledge and maybe used it for some time (couple of months). This person might want to enhance his/her JS skills and this book would be perfect for this. The second type is someone who is coming from another language but already has some programming knowledge. This book will help such pers
Alex Panayi
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I feel like i'm going absolutely insane. And no, it's not because of javascript.

To start off with, this book does an exceptional job in explaining the fine nuisances of the language, and provides clear examples to solve problems that you normally would not encounter in other languages. It does seem like most issues with Javascript is because Javascript is how Javascript is.

If you come from a programming background, this book is quite easy to understand and it really does do a great job of teach
Lim
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is THE JavaScript book. I stumbled upon this book while searching for some alternatives to the crude JavaScript: The Good Parts. There is nothing wrong with Douglas Crockford's book; it's just too ... boring for me. John Resig has a more creative way to make you remember his teachings; every example chosen is a winner, and relevant as well, which is to be expected of the jQuery's inventor. This book will educate you from the language's basic to more advanced concepts such as the navigating ...more
David Maixner
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: odborna
awesome, this is real improvement over first edition, all that ES6 coverage and great examples of all different javascript aspects in assert form, really nice... what could be reduced is this duplicated text, like the explaining text in example followed by the same (or almost same) explaining text in paragraph, but once you get this scheme, it can be read much faster... I would like to read more about Node.js, I think javascript ninja should be familiar with server development as well... also so ...more
Jon Gauthier
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Web developers who don't use a JS library (jQuery, Mootools, ..)
Some parts of the book were genuinely useful and interesting, providing introspection into things like closures and the unusual JS prototype model. The rest of the book, however, concerned itself with pointing out IE loopholes and minor points of things like eval and the DOM API. This may be interesting to some, but most web devs I know nowadays don't need to (and don't want to) worry about these things.
Daniel Dent
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Provides building blocks to understanding JavaScript (and JavaScript Frameworks) at deeper level. The depth of knowledge required by authors to write this book is incredible and often intimidating. If I could be 10% as good as them when writing JavaScript code I'd be content. This book feels like fundamental step on that journey.
Mandarinsoda
Aug 29, 2008 is currently reading it
Jquery is an excellent library.
Wayne Burkett
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
The book is divided into three sections, which I'd describe like this:

1. The first third is about intermediate-to-advanced JavaScript topics (functions, closures, prototypes, timers, regular expressions) and it more or less holds up. Anybody could benefit from that section.

2. The middle section is about cross-browser stuff (styles, and with statements (for some reason?)). I read through this stuff much faster and it's mostly irrelevant to developing modern JavaScript. Devoting an entire section
Ryan
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
There was some useful content in this book. John Resig, author of jQuery, obviously knows what he's talking about. The book reinforced and augmented my JavaScript knowledge, but the overly verbose writing style and lame attempts at humor made getting through it feel like a chore. It's also kind of dated at this point, having been published in 2013. Because of this, there's no coverage of ES6 or latest browser enhancements. The later chapters that build up apis illustrating techniques used in jQu ...more
Zack
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. Be prepared for some skimming if you already have years of programming experience, even in another language. I started this books after using JavaScript full time for a few months and didn't find too many surprises. Also if you're using Node or modern fully-featured frameworks, there may be better bang for your buck books.

"JavaScript ninja" makes it sound more advanced than it is. More of an low "intermediate" book.
Arthur
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best content on JS I've personally come across. John does a great job in his explanations and his friendly approach by using ninjas makes concepts that much simpler to wrap your head around. This book is great if you want to get a better understanding of the fundamentals and what's going on under the hood as well as getting ramped up with writing great modern JS. Book is full of awesome visuals depicting what's going on as well.
RecursiveHaiku
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A solid read for anyone who wants to start writing JS or wants to learn more in depth concepts.
The book has a good pace and explains even more difficult concepts like prototypical inheritance in a way that is easy to understand.
This book does not come up nearly enough when people talk about what to read to get started with JS, but i definetly should!
Willie Loh
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would give it 6 stars because the book (and ES6) changes my perspective towards javascript.
Thanks to its detailed line-by-line code explanations and diagrams, even a beginner like me was able to understand how javascript works internally within a javascript engine. (e.g. execution stack, event-loop)
David Maixner
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: odborna
really great overview of javascript, even though nowadays I would pick the newer edition, which is covering lots of stuff from ES6... for this first edition, I especially enjoyed that function-related parts, which seems to be the most valid today, but there are some already outdated or not so very often used things, like browser bugs, eval and with...
Wilson Jimenez
One of the best books to turn your JS knowledge from intermediate to advanced, I loved every chapter. Concepts are explained in such a granular way that even if you haven't read about it much before hand, you'll be able to get a grasp of it and follow along.
Ilyes Hachani
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book to go beyond JavaScript basics. The testing section could be expanded other than that the Author did a great job to explain JavaScript features and quirks (common pitfalls).
The book assumes that you are fami9liar with JavaScript or a c like language so not for an absolute beginner.
John Weis
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comp-sci
One of the most helpful books in my career.
Frank Palardy
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: javascript-cloud
Wasn't so impressed as other readers. Bit over explained. JavaScript is tricky to understand well though.
Omar
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like eveything javascript, this book is already outdated
Jagadeesh Rampam
Hands down! the best material I have come across on JS, second edition includes on ES6 features, promises and also bit of ES7, implementation of async/await and more.
Wudongnoodles
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first and probably the only JavaScript book you need to read if you do not have much time
« previous 1 3 next »

• Head First Design Patterns
  • You Don't Know JS: Types & Grammar
  • Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • You Don't Know JS: Scope and Closures (You Don't Know JS, #2)
  • The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • The C Programming Language
  • High Performance JavaScript
  • Soft Skills: The Software Developer's Life Manual
  • Introduction to Algorithms

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »