Start by marking “Overthrow: The War with China and North Korea--Fall of an Empire (Dan Lenson, #19)” as Want to Read:

Overthrow: The War with China and North Korea--Fall of an Empire

(Dan Lenson #19)

The United States and their Allied forces struggle to survive world war with China in this compelling, realistic thriller, the next in the Dan Lenson series

World War III continues in Overthrow, the next novel in the acclaimed series featuring Admiral Dan Lenson as the Allies converge against China, North Korea, and Iran in an explosive series of events. Admiral Lenson lea
Published December 3rd 2019 by St. Martin's Press

Start your review of Overthrow: The War with China and North Korea--Fall of an Empire (Dan Lenson, #19)
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Wow. So much to think about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a highly intense read and sometimes, in certain parts, it almost was too realistic. I don’t usually read about military action exclusively. It’s usually a part of other stories, like espionage, or the like. So it took me a bit to really settle into this book. But I am so glad I did!

I have to admit there was a lot of military jargon that I did not understand. But regardless of that fact, the intensity, action, and description of everyth
Nathan Albright
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge-2019
[Note:  This book was provided free of charge by Adams PR Group.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.]

I get the feeling that I would have enjoyed this book a bit more had I been more familiar with the characters of this particular novel in previous volumes.  Even so, starting at this point it was easy enough to tell that the various main characters here all had a past and, with a fair amount of divine providence, all had a future as well, even if it was sometimes against their will at the time
David Rubin
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Overthrow” is the fourth book in David Poyer’s series about a future war between China and the United States, including their respective coalition allies. Dan Lenson, whom we followed all through his naval career, is now an admiral. He has played a large role in the naval battles during this war and his participation is featured in this book as well.

The cast of supporting characters remains as strong as ever: Dan Lenson’s wife contests the political battles in Washington and seeks a path to pe
Larry
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The 19th Dan Lenson book is also the fourth to involve a war with China that damages both combatants severely. As usual, Lenson (now a provisional two-star, i.e., until he has won) is at the point of the spear. There's one more novel in the series-within-a-series. This one is subtitled "Fall of an Empire," and the 20th novel is entitled "Violent Peace," so draw your own conclusions.

There are four story lines, though the one featuring Lenson, now heading a task force on a do-or-die mission is, of
Frank Mihlon
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The good news is this was more interesting and credible that its predecessor, Deep War. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Because the series has developed so many varied characters representing the full suite of skill sets that might be involved in major war (Blair, Teddy, Nan, Hector, Cheryl, etc.), the novel offers a broad view of might be happening at all levels in such a conflict.

To the negative, the lead character is now so senior in command that that fans of Lenson will be disappointed that his role
Skip Hagan
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another five stars

The entire Dan Lenson series I hard core Navy. Anyone who has served at sea will will instantly feel the authenticity Mr. Poyer has imbued in his works. This title is no different.

This tale takes the reader where we hope our nation never goes, nuclear war. The characters come alive in these pages. So, too, does the horror and tragedy that are part and parcel of man’s ever more violent conflict with his fellow man.

Followers of Dan Lenson’s career will be pleased to see character
Earl Perkins
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dense with detail, action and realism

One of Poyer’s best in the series, with well-paced action sequences, a good pace and the usual attention to detail that he is known for. Having worked for many years in the tech industry, I found the capable use of military tech to be realistic, though perhaps more advanced than would seem likely at the supposed year this all happens. Nevertheless, that doesn’t detract from the great story and the inevitable pointing to the final book in the series. I look fo
Marianne
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Difficult read in many respects. One being the highly complicated technical terminology that always confuses me; second being the descriptions of the effects of war on individuals and groups. I’ve always thought war is insanity. It occurred to me while reading this book that for anyone experiencing war to ever believe it is possible to go back to living “normal” life again is foolhardy.
And somehow, this story didn’t seem so fictional to me in these days. I started reading Poyer’s books many year
Gordon Eeten
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read every book in the Dan Lenson Series since it started. I found many of the books too real and compelling to put down. In these last few books, I dont really understand the side stories with the Marine and the insurgents. They dont seem to be related to the main story line or the main characters so what are they doing here.
Warren
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not impossible

I will not critique the military portion of this book, as everyone has an opinion. Potter's writing is, as usual, compelling and gripping. Fans of Lenson will not be disappointed, but one wonders just how much he can take. Cheryl continues grow as does Nan. Blair has an unenviable role, but is maneuvering the "minefields." An excellent read.
Gary Weinman
Aug 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of this series. However, I admit I tend to like the Navy parts. When the focus on Hector (the marine) or Oberg (the Seal) I don't find those story lines as interesting as the Dan parts. I can live with the Blair parts and I will have to see what happens with Nan. Seems odd to bring her in as a character in book 19.

D.F. Haley
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Continuing to spin out a story that requires many books to tell. This felt like a holding pattern despite an apparent shift in the relative stance of the great nations and situations of the major characters involved in the conflict. Nice to get updates, but looking forward to wrapping this all up soon. Very satisfying, while a bit frustrating as well... Waiting for the next installment.
Johnny
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardback
Richard L Toye
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Typical Excellence

A multi character, multi front, story well told with action, violence and the mind and mental challenges the characters face in order to persevere over their antagonists.
Kevin Collett
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book.

The pace is relentless and the writing is compelling across the various different storylines.

I also appreciate that it doesn’t glamourise war.

Really looking forward to the next book.
Mike
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent, ready to read the next in the series!!
Tom
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Solid entry in the Dan Lenson series
John Cates
scary mil-tech tale of an unimaginable near future
William
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read!!

Like the previous books in this series, great character
development, lots of military tactics and technical detailsfast paced page turner!
Joe
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great story; lots going on.
Sloppy editing in some spots- not the author's fault, I'm sure.
I wonder how this saga is going to end.
Chris B.
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
David Poyer once again delivers. Mr. Poyer is the reigning master of the techo-triller genre. Much better than #18.
James P Rogers
It seemed that Dan has been overthrow.

The book seemed to drag in places and left the Savo hanging on. What is next for Dan and Savo ????
William VanDenburgh
The book is hard to read in some areas because of the constant switching from various subplots the book is built on. The story would flow much better if the author had stuck with the main story line.
Stephen E. Cullinane
Great series

I've enjoyed the entire series. The last seemed too bring everything together. Not overly far fetched for sure! Great book!
Anna Lopez pugsley
War

Once again the Lenson Series has kept me up too late ! I had a lot of trouble putting the book down, it's an exciting read from cover to cover.
Daniel
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Good one, Continues Poyners China war series and quite a good series that explores greatly the way China could infiltrate technology and how it would be if there was such a war..
Samuel
Mar 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
complete waste of time..... gave up on page 152.
Jesse Deleon
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is Wow!

I am left speechless after reading this book about a all to real event happening. Thank you David Poyer. A fan!
Jonathan Pratt
Dec 14, 2020
Mark
rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2020

• The Nugget
  • Global Strike (The War Planners #6)
  • Gateway War (Hammond’s Hardcases Book 3)
  • The Hooligans: A Novel (P. T. Deutermann WWII Novels)
  • There's No Plan B for Your A-Game: Be the Best in the World at What You Do
  • Your Battles Belong to the Lord: Know Your Enemy and Be More Than a Conqueror
  • Before the Devil Fell
  • Christmas from the Heart
  • Rescue Me
  • Met Her Match
  • Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)
  • Once Upon a Cowboy Christmas (River Ranch, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (The Expanse, #4)
  • Okinawa (Future War #2)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6)
  • Eagle Station (Patrick Universe, #24)
Aka D.C. Poyer.

DAVID CHARLES POYER was born in DuBois, PA in 1949. He grew up in Brockway, Emlenton, and Bradford, in western Pennsylvania, and graduated from Bradford Area High School in 1967. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1971, and later received a master's degree from George Washington University.

Poyer's active and reserve naval service included sea duty in the Atlan

Dan Lenson (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Med (Dan Lenson, #1)
  • The Gulf (Dan Lenson, #2)
  • The Circle (Dan Lenson, #3)
  • The Passage (Dan Lenson, #4)
  • Tomahawk (Dan Lenson, #5)
  • China Sea (Dan Lenson, #6)
  • Black Storm (Dan Lenson, #7)
  • The Command (Dan Lenson, #8)
  • The Threat (Dan Lenson, #9)
  • Korea Strait (Dan Lenson, #10)