Start by marking “Dive Into Design Patterns” as Want to Read:
Dive Into Design Patterns

Dive Into Design Patterns

Design patterns are typical solutions to commonly occurring problems in software design. You can’t just find a pattern and copy it into your program, the way you can with off-the-shelf functions or libraries. The pattern is not a specific piece of code, but a general concept for solving a particular problem. They are like pre-made bl
Published December 5th 2018 by Refactoring.Guru

To ask other readers questions about Dive Into Design Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dive Into Design Patterns

Start your review of Dive Into Design Patterns
Temur Tchanukvadze
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Why is Dive Into Design Patterns the best book to learn patterns?
1) Clear and detailed
2) Right to the point
3) A step-by-step explanation of how to implement
4) Real-life examples
5) Explains the relationship between patterns and pros & cons.

Alexandr Shpergl
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most interesting and clear-to understand interpretation of design patterns. Beautiful pictures and grate examples. Thanks!
Artur Parkhisenko
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reminds me "the Gang of Four", but found that book is good for the beginners, i like the examples, they hook me up, easy to remember and to think about. I've bought this book after reading and using online patterns registry on the site of the Author.
Charles Ferreira
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with this book. It's my favorite book about design patterns so far. I'm recommending it to everybody I can. The illustrations are great, I love the writing style, it's easy to read and comprehend for a non-native English speaker. The examples, real world analogies, relations between patterns, pseudocodes... everything is really, really great. Can't recommend it enough.
Ali Nazari
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Surely, the best book to learn design patterns. Everything is comprehensive and detailed. Examples are fun and close to real world and they are solved very clearly.
Daniel-florin Belu
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really like the book. It is very helpful for me and my job as I am in this field (software) for many years(~15).

The Design Patterns are something I was not very familiar with. I already learned a lot from the book and I hope I will be able soon to get a new role in my career and maybe to teach other people about the patterns.

Everything is explained very well, the introductory part includes SOLID and fundamentals of OOP which is very good. I would do more examples if I could. What I would put h
Brian
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I own three books on design patterns and this one is my favorite. Each design pattern is discussed in multiple steps:
- a problem to solve
- the solution
- a real-world analogy
- the structure of the pattern with a UML diagram
- pseudocode
- where to apply it
- tips on implementing it
- pros and cons
- relations to other patterns

There is also an overview of SOLID design principles, and for several of the pattern overviews it is described how the pattern relates to a specific SOLID principle.

One of the t
Ezekiel
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Software Developers
Recommended to Ezekiel by: My teacher
This book definitely makes its way to the top 5 books a Software Engineering student should read. It's a must-have. My teacher recommended it to learn about design patterns and how to use them in projects. Thing is, there are many articles online explaining Design Patterns, but I just couldn't grasp the concepts with those. I needed an alternative, another read.

I found myself going to class with only this book and asking questions about specific cases I thought of as the class went on. I used it
Cardholder Name
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The project in general and the book in particular are making the great impression. It seems there are a lot of books on a subject, but yours is really the best and it's quite funny. Wonderful illustrations, they are amusing and helpful for memorizing.
I've started reading it just after buying. I've learned already how to use couple of described patterns in practice.
The book can be improved by publishing it in print, it would be convinient to give it as a present for example.

Проект в целом, и книг
Anmol Singh
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the book on design patterns.
Every pattern is described in such rich and comprehensive detail.
Not to mention the beautiful illustrations and UML diagrams alongside.
Also appreciate the discussion on SOLID and OOP basics.

I would have loved if it had Python real-world code though, since Python is my primary language.
But I guess, I can translate them from Java as an exercise! :)
Overall, it seems like a worthwhile purchase! No regrets!

A suggestion to the author:

The 'Related patterns' section a
Samuel Taggart
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book! A worthy successor to the GOF. This updated take on Design Patterns is very refreshing. For a computer science book it is quite readable, much more so than the original. The real life examples provided in the book are very easy to follow. The code examples are very also easy to follow and provided in several different languages (C#, Java, PHP, Python,Ruby,Swift, and TypeScript). There are plenty of UML diagrams as well, clearly showing what is going on. He also does a good job ...more
Diego Lima
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is very useful. While reading it,I immediately related to my own projects and how I could employ the design patterns described (especially the Strategy pattern and Chain of Responsibility). I am a young developer who have worked on big projects with national scale in Brazil, and the benefits of employing these design patterns in such large codebases are obvious.

The best qualities of this book are the illustrations and the example applications (this quality includes the UML diagrams and
Bryan Costanza
I rarely buy e-books but this was a great purchase. I read through every summary/intro but I have only skimmed the more detailed implementation and example code. I have been doing moderately in-depth coding projects in school for Creative Technologies but I only heard about design patterns a few days before I bought this book. I think it was a perfect way to get an idea of what I have been missing out on and now I know some better ways to think about coding. All of the examples were quite good a ...more
Younes KHOUBZA
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Dive into design patterns is one of the best books about design patterns,
If I may say the best one in the whole market.

The tips in your book have helped me become more productive! Before this book,
I was wasting so much time figuring out how to write solid code, and apply patterns on my projects.

But the moment I discovered this book, instantly patterns looks simple and understandable:
The illustrations, comments and explanations were all perfects,... etc.

The most enjoyable part for me was the
Lewin
Nov 25, 2019 added it
I'm a 24 years of experience developer and I've always kept design patterns away from me.
Mostly because I couldn't find any practical reason to begin with it and didn't have a good comprehension of it as well.
This is why I have been interested when a collegue of mine told me about this book.
I wanted to have it on paper so I'm currently using the printed version of it, which I recommand in color so you can use it aside of your computer.

What I can say is :
- the explanations are very clear which i
Роман Стоянович
Definitely the best book about design patterns I ever seen and I'm excited reading it.

Though I'm not a new guy in programming (15+ years in active coding), but I've surprizingly found some new ideas for me. By the way - the most amazing thing in this book - perfectly structured information about the patterns with a pretty easy to understand examples.

So I'm sure the book will be useful for everyone - from beginners to veteran developers!

Highly advise to purchase and read this one!

And I hope that
Анна Швец
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book a couple of weeks ago. I hasten to share a review.
I am a novice programmer and your book is ideal for learning patterns. Code with different fonts, laconic narrative, pattern creation algorithm, pseudo codes - all this very methodically puts the material into the head. I come back to her periodically. It will become my handbook so brief and capacious at the same time.
Regarding the e-book, special thanks. It is very convenient to read, the ratio of lines and indents is optimally
Max
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'd like to thank the author for his work. I am only at the beginning of my journey into the OOP world now, and concepts such as "refactoring", "design patterns", "interconnections between classes" and others were far from me until recently. Studying the material from this book, I began to understand better how a good code differs from what I wrote earlier and am writing now)) The book "Dive Into Design Patterns" is well structured, the material is presented sequentially from basic concepts to, ...more
Abhijit Gupta
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Simple is better than complex" - this should be your design mantra. The author doesn't engage in unnecessary obfuscation and offers a dive into design patterns, albeit it's not deep, so to speak. More often than not, the books on this topic are unnecessarily complex. This one, however, is refreshingly succinct.
What I found lacking was the paucity of real-life use cases. I mean, come on, when you're talking about design patterns, the first thing on your mind should be the fact that "patterns ar
Rozaliyana Aushuria
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking funny way to understand design pattern, you need this book. This book provide you image, diagram, funny story

If you are looking a book that can explain you with analogy from real world example, you need this book.

If you are looking a book that have detail code explain design pattern, you need this book.

If you are want learn design pattern with TS code, Alex provide you that code.
Igor Telmenko
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is great book! I had tried to read another books before. But they were very difficult for reading or very useless. But this book doesn't have these problems. Each pattern's description begins from description of a problem. Then you can see UML-schemes of solution, examples of code and steps for building your own implementation of this pattern. All information is very clear and useful.
This is a book that I was looking for so long!
Julien Belmon
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent text, whether you are new to the concept of OOP design patterns or looking for a reference to use while creating software. It is full of concrete examples, language specific implementation details, diagrams and pictures in a very clear and beautiful typesetting. I have been using this book as a reference at work since I've got it and it helps me a lot every day. I can't recommend this book enough. One of the best purchases you can make for your OOP library !
German
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found about this book from a google search on design patterns. I liked the examples and images on the website and I was very happy when I found the book to share the same style.

It was an easy read because Alexander is able to make difficult topics like design patterns easy to understand by using everyday examples.

Dive Into Design Patterns is one of those books that never gets old and you constantly use as a reference.
Avery
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for my learning style. I love how everything is broken down and that there are plenty of illustrations to help solidify key concepts. I am still working through the book, but I highly recommend it to anyone who is learning Design Patterns for the first time or who is looking to refresh their current knowledge of Design Patterns. The website is a great resource as well so be sure to check that out: https://refactoring.guru/ ...more
Jeremy Sigrist
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a solid overview of object oriented design patterns, great for someone who wants and easy to read introduction. It presents a long list of patterns, providing motivation, examples, pros and cons, and comparisons with other patterns. I was able to read it pretty quickly to get the patterns in my head, and I think it will serve as a good reference next time I want to implement one of them.
Raphael
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the very concise language and the extremely well chosen UML examples. Each word has meaning. Every sentence seems to be carefully chosen, to go straight to the core of each concept.
The many excellent and playful drawings make the book so much more interesting to read.

I teach an introduction to programming with Python at a high-school in Switzerland and bought this book to have a better understanding of object oriented programming. It is well worth it and perfectly does its job.
Michael Malinowski
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book exceptionally valuable. The author - Alexander Shvets - has an excellent way of delivering complex concepts in very intuitive ways. After reading this I have found my entire approach to tackling a problem has changed, and I utilise as much as reference as well as a learning tool.

I highly recommend it!
Daniel Graungaard
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great beginners book. It has great explanations for all of the best principles. Also works great for refreshing your memory if you, like me, is more experienced but does not uses the knowledge from this field on a everyday basis. It makes it very easy to look up the concepts that you need, and the chapters are organised in a great way for maintaining overview of the different patterns.
Majed
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am in between reading this book. I found hard to understand design patterns from GOF . The language used in this book is easy to understand and I highly recommend this to everyone who faces a hard time understanding design patterns. Along with good documentation, I also got working code examples of each of the design patterns.
Edward Gulbransen
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on design patterns. It is well-written with easy-to-understand examples and diagrams. The concepts are explained very well. In addition to design patterns, the book also provided a useful refresher on Object Oriented concepts (inheritance, polymorphism, etc.), as well as a brief primer on UML diagrams.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Computer Networks
  • It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work
  • Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »