Start by marking “Evil Has A Name: The Untold Story of the Golden State Killer Investigation” as Want to Read:
Evil Has A Name: The Untold Story of the Golden State Killer Investigation

Evil Has A Name: The Untold Story of the Golden State Killer Investigation

The monster who preyed on Californians from 1976 to 1986 was known by many aliases. And while numerous police sketches tried to capture his often-masked visage, the Golden State Killer spent more than 40 years not only faceless, but nameless.

For his vict
Audible Audio, 220 pages
Published November 15th 2018 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Evil Has A Name, please sign up.
Erin You would be fine without I'll Be Gone, but both are great in their own ways. Evil Has A Name gave me a really satisfying conclusion or epilogue for…moreYou would be fine without I'll Be Gone, but both are great in their own ways. Evil Has A Name gave me a really satisfying conclusion or epilogue for I'll Be Gone, but if you read both I would also recommend some time between because it can seem repetitive since it's the same case. Both are great, but can be read separately.(less)

Start your review of Evil Has A Name: The Untold Story of the Golden State Killer Investigation
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
I have had this on my audible wish list since I saw it was being released months and months ago. I became a little bit obsessed with the case after listening to Ill Be Gone in the Dark last year. Quickly after listening to that I went a bit nuts, reading all the articles, listening to all the podcasts on it and informing all my friends and family (much to my husband's annoyance) of the case and the fact that the guy had NEVER BEEN CAUGHT!! Stuff of nightmares!

So imagine my surprise when
Kemper
This isn’t really a book. It’s a podcast.

I’m not saying that’s a good thing or a bad thing because I like podcasts. In fact, I’ve listened to several hours of them about the Golden State Killer already. The difference is that those I downloaded for free while I used one of my monthly credits for this Audible Original so I’m feeling a little cheated. Plus, I already had read or heard about 99% of the information in here already so calling it 'the untold story' isn't exactly true either.
Kathleen
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This compels binge listening! This Audible Original is comprised of interviews with both investigators and victims. It feels very much like a true crime documentary; and is the perfect follow-up to Michelle McNamara’s book, I’ll Be Gone in the Dark.

Catching the Golden State Killer (also known as The East Area Rapist, The Original Night Stalker, and The Visalia Ransacker) involved the use of DNA evidence and genealogical research. This aspect was fascinating. Investigators used t
Peter Monn
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg this was so good! If you liked I’ll Be Gone in the Dark you’ll love this. My full review will be up on my booktube channel at http://YouTube.com/peterlikesbooks
Natasha Niezgoda
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime, audiobook
Gimme all the Golden State Killer updates!

So my friend Heather told me about this very telling audiobook 🎧that covers the forensics 🧫 collected throughout the Golden State Killer’s case (from 1976 to 1986) which ultimately led to the arrest of De Angelo last year. And I had to give it a listen!

description

What’s unique about this GSK story is it ends! For the past 40 years, the
Natalie
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this “book” but I can’t honestly review it without stating the obvious: This is clearly an Audible podcast series that they decided to change into a “book” so that they could charge for it knowing that most Murderinos and fans of I’ll Be Gone in the Dark will buy it because Paul Holes is a goddamn angel. He is essentially the Patron Saint of catching old creeps and Audible capitalized on the fact that we would, at this point, probably listen to him read a take out menu and pay for it.

Bu
Kaitlin
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
After just having read 'I'll Be Gone in the Dark' which tells the same story as this audible show, I found it perfect to lead straight into this. The book 'I'll Be Gone...' is written by a woman who investigated the crimes of this rapist and killer from the comfort of her home, this series is the in-depth analysis from the detectives who worked the case both when it first came to light and later as a cold case.

We have a whole load of people involved in the operation to find out who this killer
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.0 Stars
This is an excellent true crime audiobook that provided a comprehensive account of the investigation into the Golden State Killer. Produced as an Audible exclusive, this felt more like listening to a podcast than an audiobook. Compared to I’ll Be Gone in the Dark, the information was much better organized and edited in this book.

I appreciated that the narrative was victim-centered, giving voices to those affected by the crimes. I was most interested in the last few chapters
Renee (itsbooktalk)
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chilling and the perfect companion to I'll Be Gone in the Dark
Laura Peden
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’ve read I’ll Be Gone In The Dark by Michelle McNamara and you’re craving more, look no further..This is an Audible only book, you can’t even get you’re hands on an ebook or hardcover...you have to actually listen. This book is comprised of recordings from the investigators, witnesses, and victims/survivors. It’s chilling. You won’t find any fiction out there that’s more terrifying than reading this book. Especially when you’re listening alone at night, OUTSIDE with one candle on the deck. ...more
Nicole
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
english review
audible audiobook/podcast

THIS IS EVERYTHING. SERIOUSLY!!!

This was intense, frustrating, heartbreaking and wonderful all at the same time. The story is all kinds of awful but it was so very well told and handled so very respectful. I had goosebumps, I had some tears in my eyes, towards the end of the book I may have cried a few tears of joy. What a rollercoaster ride.

Also, I could listen to Paul Holes reading the names and numbers of the telephon
The Story Girl
The first 5 of 6 hours of this is just a re-hash of what was already covered in Michelle McNamara's I'll Be Gone in the Dark, which was excellent, but that made this quite a disappointing read. It might just be that I had different expectations, but I thought this would be a sequel to that, with it focusing more on how they caught him, and maybe go more into detail about him/what he had to say after he was caught/did he give any interviews, etc. But that was only the last hour of this, and even ...more
Katherine "Kj" Joslin
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019rrjanuary
Absolutely amazing! It's a very well put together story of all the hard work that went into the capture of The Golden State Killer. I am so amazing at all the detail that was put into this Audible. I may have to go back and listen again to pick up any things I may have missed in my excitement!
Brendan Monroe
I've gotten really into the true crime stuff recently, and this is about as recent as true crime stories get outside of the newspaper.

The case of the "Golden State Killer" — aka "the Original Nightstalker", aka "the East Area Rapist", aka "the Visalia Ransacker" — was only solved last year. This is hot off the press stuff, and it is fascinating.

That "Serial" podcast everyone was going bananas over a couple years back (booooring)? This is WAY better than that.

After committing like 50-something rapes and s
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
Listening to this audio book was like watching a well-made documentary. The cast is outstanding – investigators, police, criminologists, a genealogist, a journalist, a profiler and the poignant voices of some of the victims and family of the victims. The narration was perfectly delivered.

This is a narrative that will remind you that crime, violent crimes in particular, have a heavy impact not only on the victims but on the friends, family, the first responders, the investigators a
 Sarah Lumos
I know this isn't a book, but it's free for audible members and I would highly recommend listening to it if you have a membership. I listened to this podcast awhile ago, but I never got around to reviewing it because of its sensitive content. When it comes to true crime, I try to remember that these are real stories. They feature real people, emotions, and devastating outcomes.

Evil Has a Name is an engrossing listen. I started listening to it before I went to bed and ended up finishing it in
Jade Wright
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What's great about Evil Has a Name is that it's all about HOW they caught The Golden State Killer. The East Area Rapist. The Original Night Stalker. The Visalia Ransacker. The hideous man with many aliases.
Michelle McNamara's book, I'll Be Gone in the Dark, is about how she researched the case. Her book was published when Joseph James DeAngelo was still at large - Evil Has a Name was after his capture in April 2018.

I do recommend reading I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara first. It'
Elyse
I started listening to this as soon as I finish listening to I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer. So yes, some of it was repetitive of that but also not because this was the perspective of law enforcement and IBGITD was the perspective of a civilian and amateur sleuth. So both of these books are valuable and have interesting information. Plus this one has interviews with survivors and relatives of victims which amped up this book a notch. It was completely ...more
Nicole
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! If you're interested in true crime and the golden state killer, you will find this fascinating like myself.

It's a free audible series, it's totally worth a listen!

For me, what I liked about this was the fact that it focused on the victims and the victims stories. I think that's really important in true crime books aimed at the public. This book does not trivialize and romanticize the actions of the golden state killer in any way, which other true crime books t
Allison
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, 2018
There was a time when I read all the true crime I could get my hands on. Then I stopped. A friend told me about a true crime podcast and that she enjoyed The Golden State Killer episodes. I also knew that Michelle McNamara's book, I'll be Gone in the Dark, was being released in audio and snatched that up immediately. It stands to reason that I had to listen to this as well. Although I don't think there was more detail here than in McNamara's book, being able to hear it from the people that were ...more
Donald Powell
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthropology, other
Audio book. Very well done with narration, personal interviews, revelation of fascinating facts and, like anything with the Goldenstate Killer/East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker/Visalia Ransacker, creepy! The dedication of law enforcement is very inspiring. Law enforcement takes so much criticism. It was a relief to see publication of a book, albeit an audio one, documenting the dedication, hard work and diligence that solves horrible crimes. The production of the book was very well done an ...more
Wulfwyn
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, crime
Listening to this book was definitely different for me with all the different voices. The story of the crimes and investigations was interesting and would have kept me reading. What made this book unique for me was knowing some of the victims were telling their stories. As difficult as that was to listen to, I could not stop. They deserve to be heard. I had chills more than once and tears stained my face. I wasn’t expecting to hear from them. I appreciated the end of the book, when we got to hea ...more
Sara
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything I hoped for and more. . .
Grace
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing how they finally caught this guy!
Well done audio.
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Informative, thoughtful, respectful of the victims and their families, while also remaining engaging and terrifying.
Kalei
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly worth the listen!
Tarynbeth
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a phenomenal listen, although I can't say that it felt like a true audiobook. The format felt more like a true crime podcast, as it was mostly comprised of victim testimony, and detectives' recounting of the 20-year-long investigation. For me, the podcast-like feel was engaging and exciting; I was listening to this book at every opportunity I had! Highly recommend if you're a fan of true crime. Do not recommend if you're sensitive to descriptions of crimes/crime scenes.
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Evil Has A Name" is the first podcast I ever listened to and I really enjoyed it. I loved learning more about how forensic sciences developed over time and how it helped identify the Golden State Killer.

It was really interesting to hear about how the police tried to find suspects and how the victims dealt with their past.
Lauren
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's amazing that they were able to create a narrative that was so comprehensive while remaining so accessible. I can't say I loved it, because you can't love the story of what this man did, but it was satisfying to hear the voices of his victims and how they were able to triumph in the end.
Lindsay
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Paul Holes is my nerd hero.

Audible is up to something really interesting here re: the book format. This story unfolds with similar editing techniques to miniseries. At times, the story doesn’t offer enough depth, but I suspect that’s a result of the GSK case still being in process.

• Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders
  • Putin: Prisoner of Power
  • Damned Spot- Audible
  • My Lost Family
  • Killer by Nature
  • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #.5)
  • The Killer Across the Table: Unlocking the Secrets of Serial Killers and Predators with the FBI's Original Mindhunter
  • The Real Sherlock