Start by marking “Serpent (NUMA Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Serpent (NUMA Files, #1)

Serpent (NUMA Files #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  7,682 Ratings  ·  228 Reviews
On the bottom of the icy sea off Nantucket lies the battered remains of the Italian luxury liner, Andrea Doria. But few know that within its bowels rests a priceless pre-Columbian antiquity—a treasure that now holds the key to a puzzle that is costing people their lives. For Kurt Austin, the leader of a courageous National Underwater Marine Agency (NUMA) exploration team, ...more
Published 1999

To ask other readers questions about Serpent, please sign up.

Rob
Jul 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
Meh. Think there's a reason why I haven't picked up one of his books for at least 5 years. In my defense, I was on vacation and finished the books that I had brought along and this 'novel' was one of the only reasonably good choices available at the hotel gift shop.

At one time in my life, I thoroughly enjoyed the Dirk Pitt series of books from Cussler. Sort of a modern swash-buckling adventurer who always knows the right thing to do, the right thing to say and always gets the girl and the villa
Renee
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"I'm a Dirk Pitt fan so when I first picked this up my first thought was "Who's this Kurt Austin guy?" But I started reading anyway. Glad I d...moreI'm a Dirk Pitt fan so when I first picked this up my first thought was "Who's this Kurt Austin guy?" But I started reading anyway. Glad I did. Kurt is a great guy, has a fun sidekick, lots of NUMA people make an appearance (I LUV MAX!) and the plot rocks. I like the historical and archeology details. My only complaint is the chauvenism of the genre
Matthew
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
3.5 stars.

I read this book for a book club pick. The first 200 pages or so were rather boring. I found consistently the author was using very rich, lengthy description, reminding me a bit of The Fellowship of the Ring, but rather than describing the strange and wondrous, he seemed to be always only describing the boring and mundane. He didn't give rich descriptions of the Mayan ruins at the center of the story, instead reserving most of his description for cars, planes, boats, faces, hair, eyes,
Barbara ★
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a seriously convoluted tale revolving around the Spanish mafia from Christopher Columbus's time and the Mayan culture. Two things that really shouldn't have anything to do with each other. Did Columbus really discover America? That is the ultimate question and if not, who did? And why are archeologists being killed when they find certain types of artifacts. A skillfully woven tale that is wholly believeable. The death defying adventures, the life threatening artifact thieves and the unde ...more
Mark
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, fiction, thriller, cc
Probably the worst Cussler book I'll ever read, from what I hear, and so far it is the worst I've read. The plot is awesome and very detailed but the story moves slow and a few times he even insults the readers intelligence. I know it was writen in 1999 but I know what a Hovercraft is Clive and I knew then too...shesh! I didn't find the ending that exciting either and I would suggest that people only read this book if they are fans of Cussler. I would never let a new reader have this as thier fi ...more
Sonia189
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot is a bit too far fetched and several scenes even more but as an adventure story and intriguing historical information, it was enjoyable to read.
Manuela
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: avventura
Lento e prolisso. Le parti più adrenaliniche si perdono nelle troppe pagine e nei tanti avvenimenti narrati con ritmo troppo altalenante.
Edwin Kort
Jul 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audioboek, 2017
Sorry, Clive Cussler, maar dit is een van de slechtste, zo niet het slechtste boek dat ik ooit van je heb gelezen.

Het plot van het boek is goed, daar niet van. Misschien ligt het aan het feit dat Clive nieuwe hoofdrolspelers moest schrijven, (Kurt, Joe, Gamay en Paul), maar het verhaal loopt traag.
Het einde van het boek was niet geweldig, en nog steeds weet ik niet waar het verhaal precies over ging.
Andrew
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Cussler is famous for bringing together numerous seemingly unconnected strands and not only explaining their connections but also making it sound like of course they are connected didn't see it. This book is no exception from the traditional historical event that kick off the show to the grand finale which in this book happened too quickly and felt a little flat as compared to some show downs. However the pace was fast and furious and once it to it the 450 odd pages soon passed although it did f ...more
Karla
May 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Don't let the title fool you, it has nothing to do with animals or sea creatures. Pure mystery and a very well written mystery at that. Very much enjoyed the interaction between the characters and it had a very good flow, all in all. Very interesting theories as well. I believe Clive Cussler is now in the top 5 of my favorite authors.

Brian
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Although the expected fun Clive Cussler adventure I had anticipated, this one seemed to be a bit too contrived. There was far too much to wrap up at the end of this novel that all seemed to just fall into place perfectly as if the author knew he had 20 pages left to write to finish. He finished on time. But the story suffered at bit because of it.
Mary couch
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another Clive Cussler thriller! This is book one of another series by Cussler. As usual, lots of action and a fast read.
Rosemary Rampton
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Predictable outcome but interesting non the less
Jason Sta. Maria
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was good and exciting! Specially the tandem of Kurt Austin and Joe Zavala! This was the first book of Clive Cussler that I've read and that's why I keep on reading his prized novels!
Simone Perren
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I made a video review on my Booktube channel, Me, Simone & I!

Paul
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Cheap adventure for the sake of book sales. This is a rather typical Cussler novel with constant action, but this one would take a prize for more technical inaccuracies than his other ones. It seems as if he simply does not care, or maybe he considers it all "artistic license." As long as he throws in a bunch of "details" about something, correct or not, he thinks he is doing well. A .357 caliber pistol that somehow shoots .50 caliber, The Peten spelled "Petan" and many other mistakes fill this ...more
Hortensia
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó aunque a ratos me pareció largo. Algunas escenas son frenéticas pero otras se pierden entre tecnicismos que si bien aportan algo a la historia no son en sí demasiado importantes. Demasiadas licencias artísticas, pero es parte del show.

Me gustaron todos los personajes; son fuertes y decididos, inteligentes y aventureros. El final me pareció un poco flojo, ya que la caída de los malos fue demasiado, por decirlo de alguna manera, fácil y me pareció que ya era como por terminar.

Es el primer
Kberger
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is almost really good. There is some depth to the maritime and archaeology things in the book, but really it's just an adventure type story.

First book I ever read from this author. The author is talented, and I think he probably has written some good books. The author can write science and history stuff that can appeal to a nerdy person like myself. Too much of the book is fist fights and gun fights for my taste.
Steven
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-completed
I've read many Cussler books, and this is one of the best. It moved at a fast pace and the main character is pretty much identical to Dirk Pitt from the previous books. My only gripe, and it's a minor one, is the bad guy's plan. There's always been some crazy megalomaniac with a plan that's pretty "out there". This one had a plan that made no sense and didn't even come close to being plausible. It was too silly to work. Other than that, this book was fantastic!
Johan
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clive Cussler is geen groot schrijver, hij doet wel veel research. Als je eens wat tijd te verdrijven hebt en zin in een gemakkelijk boek hebt, kan een Cussler een goede keuze zijn. In vergelijking met zijn boeken uit de jaren 70, is de NUMA-reeks al wat vrouwvriendelijker. Vrouwen mogen al eens iets zeggen, mogen een eigen carrière hebben en initiatieven nemen, maar moeten wel door de mannelijke helden gered worden.
Haarika
Clive Cussler is pioneer in high octane thriller writing. The book gives you exactly what it promises on the cover.
I usually shelve such books as “cheat day” books. It’s read time is equal to an overnight train journey in India. While it adds nothing to your thought process, it’s good for your soul to indulge in these thrillers.
Fast to read, easy to adjust, exciting.
Fredrick Danysh
The usual plot of Cussler novels, beautiful woman at risk from evil organization out to conquer the world saved by member of NAMU. In this one archaeologists studying are finding pre-Columbus artifacts are disappearing along with their discoveries. The evil organization is plotting conquest of the American Southwest.
Frenchie
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like his other books, I enjoyed the way many different storylines were all related. It seemed like this book had less cursing & violence than some of his other books. The only thing I didn't like was the abrupt ending.
Jasen
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Има интересна историческа история и не са толкова непобедими героите. Иначе всичко си върви по шаблона.
Tom
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Book.
Richard Page
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a good book but not one of Clive Cusslers best.
Stephen
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good holiday reading, fast paced and gripping.
Sally
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was warned about this one - fans who put it down and have never read a Clive Cussler again, and the warnings didn't go far enough. He's published about 14 books to date - a seasoned writer, and one I've loved - all 4 and 5 star books. But this is the first of a new characater - Kirt Austen and the Numa files - and it seems like he freaked out and fell to pieces.

Kirt Austen and his side-kick, Joe something, are a Dirk Pitt and Al Giordino with the details slightly swapped around, and all of the
Caitlin
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll review more in-depth when my headache stops! I read for hours straight (booktubeathon you know!) but I did really enjoy this book!!

[EDIT]
Intriguing with lots of action and globe-trotting. Fans of Indiana Jones would enjoy this first novel in Cussler's NUMA (National Underwater and Marine Agency) series. Some of the parts felt a little disjointed, but overall, a very fun summer read! I can't wait to read the rest of this series!
  • The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer, #3)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • Satan's Tail (Dreamland, #7)
  • The Arctic Event (Covert-One, #7)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
  • Dourado (Dane Maddock #1)
  • Clive Cussler
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Alexander Cipher (Daniel Knox, #1)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...

NUMA Files (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Blue Gold (NUMA Files, #2)
  • Fire Ice (NUMA Files, #3)
  • White Death (NUMA Files, #4)
  • Lost City (NUMA Files, #5)
  • Polar Shift (NUMA Files, #6)
  • The Navigator (NUMA Files, #7)
  • Medusa (NUMA Files, #8)
  • Devil's Gate (NUMA Files, #9)
  • The Storm (NUMA Files, #10)
  • Zero Hour (NUMA Files, #11)
“Unfortunately we have to remember we’re scientists, not writers of popular semifictional archaeological claptrap.” 1 likes