Start by marking “Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)” as Want to Read:
Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)

Cyclops

(Dirk Pitt #8)

A wealthy American financier disappears on a treasure hunt in an antique blimp. From Cuban waters, the blimp drifts toward Florida with a crew of dead men-- Soviet cosmonauts. DIRK PITT discovers a shocking scheme: a covert group of U.S. industrialists has put a colony on the moon, a secret base they will defend at any cost. Threatened in space, the Russians are about to ...more
Published December 1st 1986 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Cyclops, please sign up.
Zach Franz I'd wondered myself. Remember, on the golf course in the beginning, he went to the bathroom and read the brief that his "caddie" had given him. I'm…moreI'd wondered myself. Remember, on the golf course in the beginning, he went to the bathroom and read the brief that his "caddie" had given him. I'm thinking the information was in there. Cussler just didn't mention it explicitly.(less)

Start your review of Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
M.E. Kinkade
Feb 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
I picked this book up at a charity book swap for a dollar. After that last book, I figured I needed something fun and easy on the brain. I mean, Dirk Pitt is Indiana Jones + James Bond + water! Several Dirk Pitt books have made an appearance as family road-trip fodder, because, while basically predictable (What, this story involves a secret treasure that's probably in the ocean somewhere?! Who would guess!), it's fun. What's not to like?

So when I tell you that I basically enjoyed this book
Bob
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wealthy American financier disappears on a treasure hunt in an antique blimp. Okay, that sounds cool.

From Cuban waters, the blimp drifts toward Florida with a crew of dead men—Soviet cosmonauts. Whoa, now you've got my attention.

Dirk Pitt discovers a shocking scheme: a covert group of US industrialists has put a colony on the moon, a secret base they will defend at any cost. You've got to be shitting me!

Threatened in space, the Russians are about to strike a savage blow in Cuba—and only NUMA’s
Matt
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, 2019-reads
Off the coast of Cuba is a small isle and a shipwreck unconnected with one another until a wealthy financier off treasure hunting in his blimp disappears, soon they’ll connect everything from the moon to a lost Amazonian treasure. Cyclops is Clive Cussler’s 8th Dirk Pitt book in which his titular character flies the skies in an antique blimp, escapes then returns to a secret Soviet base, and save the city of Havana from a fiery fate.

A U.S. ship named Cyclops is carrying a legendary gold statue
Debra Johnson
Cyclops by Clive Cussler

Genres; Action/Adventure, Crime, Mystery, Suspense

3 Stars

Not one of my favorites, but I read it. I liked it. I did not love it.
By the time I read this one I was 33 years old. That was 25 years ago. Already, the steamier the book the more I liked it. The problem I remember about this one was the 'Steam' factor. The adventure part was good. But, I remember being just 'Okay' with this one for numerous reasons.

I understood Dirk Pitt needed the 'get the female' that all book
Ann Keller
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, thriller
Amazingly suspenseful book! I started reading and pretty much couldn't put it down. Really enjoyed it.
Roopkumar Balachandran
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
Plot 1: March 9th 1918, Caribbean Sea, a collier ship, Cyclops carrying 11,000 tons of manganese, more than it can carry sinks with treasure and a soul, American consul general to Brazil, Alfred L.Morean Gottschalk.

Plot 2 :Raymond Le Baron and some of his friends who goes in search of the legendary El Dorado in his blimp Prosperteer goes missing. After a couple of days the blimp passes over Florida where our hero Dirk Pitt is taking part in a race stops the blimp and later the body inside the
Fredrick Danysh
An old blimp is restored and then disappears off the shores of Cuba with its billionaire owner. Two weeks later it reappears in Miami with the frozen bodies of three Russian cosmonauts aboard. Dirk Pitt is persuaded to retrace the airship's route and discovers a secret Russian base in Cuba. Meanwhile, American civilians have built a secret base on the moon that is about to be attacked by the Russians.
David
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: big-white-square
I'm only reading this because the main character is identified as "Dirk Pitt" on the cover. So cool.

===

There's a big gold statue in the story and the head is carved from a massive emerald. But the book cover designer went freestyle and drew a big gold head with emerald eyes.

I think Clive had three stories on the go. A moon base shoot-out, a search for an ugly gold statue with a big emerald head and a Cuban spy drama. But none of them were going to make the mandatory 500 pages, so he stuck them
Clay Davis
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
The battle on the Moon was pretty cool.
Kevin Findley
Not as good as the last one I read (Vixen 03). To be honest, the most exciting part of this book was the emergency landing of the space shuttle; something Dirk Pitt had nothing to do with. Everything was there for a good Cussler novel, but it was like looking at a jigsaw puzzle where all the little pieces were put together, but it was in four or five large sections that didn't quite fit.

Dirk was there in full derring-do mode, but his lieutenants, Monk and Ham (that's a deliberate reference), had
Catherine
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Yet another Clive Cussler book that's just okay, yet entertaining enough for me to consider continuing the series. I think this one probably took me the longest to finish in large part because I didn't find it as interesting as some of the other ones. It may be because I wasn't alive during the Cold War and the Cuban Missile Crisis, but it just didn't suck me in.
Cathy Biggers
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clive Cussler does it again with another captivating, thrilling, NUMA story involving politics, adventure, and mystery intertwined. Thanks for making reading your stories such fun, Mr. Cussler!
Shane Phillips
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
With such snapping writing as Bad Guy: "Dirk. May I call you Dirk? Dirk replies "That's my name", like he is a 6yr on the playground. I don't know how to think about this. I enjoy Cussler's writing but it can be so cheesy and I don't know if its because this is from the 1980's or that's just how he writes. I will learn as I continue this series.
Ralph Carlson
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy the reading of a Clive Cussler novel.
Alistair Edwards
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Jill
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Even for expecting an over the top action/adventure, this one took it just a little too far. While the plot points were interesting, there were too many for one book. A secret colony on the moon; the lost El Dorada statue; several concurrent plots by the Communists in Russia to attack said secret moon colony, have their one secret manned island near Cuba that was basically a giant antenna with a beach, assassinate Fidel Castro, and then blame the CIA for it; secret talks between the Fidel and ...more
Alec
Apr 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no-one
Shelves: abandonded
I should open by stating I picked this up in a charity store while on holiday...which is a good thing as the charity got some money and I didn't have to pay normal price for what is basically pulp.

Sorry to be scathing - it does spin along at a brisk pace, but the characters are thin to non-existent, when not completely unbelievable (which matches the overall plot).

Our main "hero" is beaten up so badly he is passing blood, yet still has the strength to climb four stories of underground bunker
Quinn Zunino
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Dirk Pitt has been beaten to death, swam in the middle of the night across a vast body of water, arrived on the beaches of Cuba with no hope of survival and first thing in the morning he had sex in a drainage pipe????? WTF!! I like Clive Cussler's adventures, especially Dirk Pitt's, but this has been the most weird and outlandish one yet. The story barely holds together as the main plot points are only connected by pure luck. Not the best of Cussler but at least an enjoyable read.
As a typical
Sherry
May 18, 2015 rated it it was ok

Good airplane read.

Silly story of a secret moon colony established by the Americans, an imminent attack on Cuba to kill Castro and establish the Russians as rulers of Cuba, all brought together by a search for El Dorado, a sunken gold, jewel encrusted statue.

Dirk Pitt to the rescue of all.
Larry
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Great adventure/thriller. Another Dirk Pitt novel that will keep you enthralled through out the entire book. Not really believable and a bit on the sci-fi side, but Cussler tells such a great story that it just doesn’t matter.
Greg Strandberg
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Another great Dirk Pitt novel, you really can't go wrong with this series. This is also the book where he gets his prized bathtub, so it's worth reading for that.

All in all, just another in the same mold. Cussler has a good formula here, why mung it up?
Jean-Michel Desire
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
It just baffles me how Cussler finds a way to take us around the globe with his brilliant adventures. I'll admit that these adventures are no brain teasers but they certainly have unexpected elements that render them very entertaining in my taste.
Jon
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty fun
Steve
Jun 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: enemies
Recommended to Steve by: name witheld to protect reputation
Can't bring myself to finish it. It's making "Raise the Titanic" look good.
Dan Ott
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Dirk Pitt book. Needs more Giordino!
Lee
Dec 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was time for some cinematic adventure....Dirk Pitt fills that need for me. The eighth Pitt came out in '86, so he's battling those "evil" Russians again. Another fun action adventure.
Neil
It has been several years since I read this book and I seem to be in a 'Dirk Pitt' kick, re-reading all of his adventures [but not necessarily in 'chronological order', but that may change after finishing this one]. I enjoyed the book, overall. It definitely has some far-fetched moments that one has to suspend their sense of reality, but this is Dirk Pitt and suspending the natural laws seems to be one of his strongest gifts. Well, that and seducing women [until he gets married]. In most of ...more
JP
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Okay, Cussler really jumped the shark (over the moon?) in Cyclops. After the mind control plot of Deep Six, I figured things would stay a bit more grounded this time around.

Nah. Moon colonies. A plot to take over Cuba. El Dorado (or rather La Dorada!). Conversations with Fidel Casto. It's all here. And it's completely ridiculous. I wish there'd been a bit more focus on one or two of the plotlines (particular La Dorada, that's the Pitt I prefer), but so it goes.

We do definitely get back to
Karen Ford
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Each time I pick up a Clive Cussler novel I know that I'm going to be in for a great tale. Admittedly I haven't read many of his Dirk Pitt adventures, but I see reading more in my future.

Cyclops deals with one of the enduring mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle, the naval hauler USS Cyclops vanishing without a trace in that area with strange events leading up to its disappearance. Mr. Cussler weaves a tale involving a billionaire using an airship to search for the wreckage of the Cyclops and Pitt
Connor Ward
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cyclops, by Clive Cussler, is one of many books in the Dirk Pitt series. Cussler does an amazing job including many fantastical elements in his story, yet keeps a sense of realness throughout. The story goes from an antique blimp vanishing over the open ocean, to a sunken ship with a priceless statue, to a battle for a space shuttle and a moon colony, and everywhere in between. Join Dirk Pitt as he tangles with both the Russians and the Cubans, in an effort to save hundreds if not thousands of ...more

• The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx #1)
  • Mirage by Clive Cussler - Reviewed
  • The Cassandra Compact (Covert-One, #2)
  • The Island
  • The Moscow Vector (Covert-One, #6)
  • Nobody Lives Forever
  • Absolution (Interstellar Bounty Hunter Book 1)
  • True Detectives
  • The King's Deception (Cotton Malone, #8)
  • Collected Stories
  • For All Who Wander: Why Knowing God Is Better than Knowing It All
  • Devil Car
  • Soldier's Duty (Return of the Aghyrians, #3)
  • The Illusory Prophet (Singularity #3)
  • The Enemy of My Enemy (Brainrush, #2)
  • Heir's Revenge (Return of the Aghyrians, #4)
  • Cold Call: A Cold Poker Gang Mystery
  • Watcher's Web (Return of the Aghyrians, #1)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
  • Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)
“Laboratory, then waved Hagen” 0 likes