Start by marking “Engineering a Compiler” as Want to Read:
Engineering a Compiler

Engineering a Compiler

The practice of compiler construction changes continually, in part because the designs of processors and systems change. For example, when we began to write Engineering a Compiler (eac) in 1998, some of our colleagues questioned the wisdom of including a chapter on instruction scheduling because out-of-order execution threatened to make scheduling largely irrelevant. Today ...more
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition, 1113 pages
Published July 9th 2018 (first published September 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Engineering a Compiler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Engineering a Compiler

Start your review of Engineering a Compiler
Will Semin
The book is full of valuable insights and good, elbaorate explanations. Well worth the read.
Peter Sichevsky
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
I hate to say this, but I wasn't as impressed with this book as I thought I should have been, GIVEN its place in the pantheon of programming books.

However, I still list this as a must read for all developers.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Given that this can easily be made into a very confusing and convoluted subject, this book does a really good job of simplifying Compiler Engineering. Still I must give a warning that this subject is not for the faint of heart.
Gregory Blake
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engineering a Compiler is an excellent introductory text on compilers. I particularly enjoyed the textbook's clean layout and design and cleanly written algorithms placed very close to the paragraphs where they are relevant.

Particularly after reading Muchnick, I found the amount of text explanation with a lack of concrete examples to be disturbing. Whole sections pass without any accompanying code examples. While I didn't think that pseudocode would have particularly enriched these topics, and I
Yury
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may be a great introduction, but I will never know. The problems with books like this is that they skim over topics not going deep into the subject ever. This book has some good chapters. The content in the book is not dense, it’s written in very dry academic style. In plain english, it is just boring. I cannot see anyone reading this book from cover to cover. And yet it is not a reference. I do not recommend it.
Dave
Aug 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-books
Alright book if you are looking for a good overview of compiler concepts. I read this while using the Dragon Book as a reference, and I think in the future I will definitely use the Dragon book to look up information, but this book did a much better job of explaining concepts in a non-technical way first.
Irvi
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed how the author clearly explained how algorithms in the compilers is working, especially the layout part that I think also contributed to the fact that it’s easier for me to read it.
Qinglai
A lit bit boring, filled with well-known facts, very weak front-end. But after all this is just a intro to compiler.
Nick Black
GT Barnes & Noble 2009-01-0x. I've been reading too many books and papers about compilers the past few months to really enjoy this book very much, especially compared to Kennedy's and Muchinek's. This is kind of the "West End" or perhaps "Goals 2000" of the trio they form, with the least rigorous presentation and most minimal coverage. I think we're using this in CS6241 only because so many MS students are gormless waste-wits, admitted only to collect some tuition (I'm coming to loathe introduci ...more
Vipul Chawathe
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Engineering students
Engineering a Compiler is the default follow up for Engineering students after having just completed theory of computer science course laying common foundation with pure science.
Megs
Nov 29, 2018
Dmitry
Oct 13, 2016
Arul
rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2017
J Nathan Kocurek
Dec 12, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Operating Systems: Three Easy Pieces
  • Building Secure and Reliable Systems: Best Practices for Designing, Implementing, and Maintaining Systems
  • Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
  • A Theory of Fun for Game Design
  • Functional Programming in Scala
  • "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!": Adventures of a Curious Character
  • L'Assommoir
  • La Conquête de Plassans (Les Rougon-Macquart, #4)
  • La Bête humaine
  • La Curée

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »