Start by marking “Ruby’s Worry: A Big Bright Feelings Book” as Want to Read:
Ruby’s Worry: A Big Bright Feelings Book

Ruby’s Worry: A Big Bright Feelings Book

Published August 1st 2018 by Bloomsbury Children's Books (first published July 18th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Ruby’s Worry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruby’s Worry

Start your review of Ruby’s Worry: A Big Bright Feelings Book
Mischenko
Ruby Finds a Worry is an excellent children's book that deals with anxiety. Ruby is a young child who develops a very small worry that slowly gets larger over time. It becomes so huge that it begins to overcrowd her happiness. At a park one day, she finds another child with a problem and feels compelled to speak to him. After talking with each other about their problems, they both begin to feel better.

My daughter and I both loved this book. It's such an important subject and will help children
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Tom Percival, the author and illustrator of Ruby’s Worry, taps in children’s emotional needs in his latest picture book, Ruby’s Worry. In today’s busy world, young children are presenting with anxiety issues and are often unable to discuss their worries. Tom Percival has recognised this and has composed a children’s picture book that opens up the vital channels of communication around this sensitive subject area.

Ruby’s Worry is about a typical little girl, R
The Library Lady
Okay, my normal shelf for books like this is entitled "Bibliotherapy is a crock."
So why does this get 4 stars?

Because, for once, (and probably only once), here is good, REALLY good bibliotherapy!

Ruby's "worry" is seen initially as a small yellow creature--like a dust ball. But the "worry" grows and grows and GROWS until it takes up half the school bus, and many rows in a movie theater, and it's a fun story, just as a story!.

The resolution could have been awful and Berenstain-like. But a paren
Julie Kirchner
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love that there are books popping up to normalize things that we struggle with, especially around the topic of mental health. These books are so important and necessary to help kids process their worries. This is a fantastic book.
James
Apr 03, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a nice book, with laudible aims and with its heart in the right place. Unfortunately however, 'Ruby's Worry' is not quite what it aims to be - it's sadly not as insightful, affecting and effective as it aspires to be, a missed opportunity perhaps. ...more
Wendi Lee
This was a perfect book for my anxious five year-old. She loved the idea of worries as manifestations, and that kids have the power to make them disappear. We read it, and she immediately wanted to read it again!
Alice Bennett
This reminded me of the book ‘The Worrysaurus’. Ruby is a happy little girl, until one day she discovers that she has a worry. The more she worries about the worry the more the worry (represented by a cartoonish yellow blob with eyes) grows and grows. It progresses throughout the pages and children will notice this and the impact it has upon Ruby as she becomes more and more unhappy and her emotions change as well.

Once Ruby learns to share the worry with someone else who also has a worry, she d
Sabrina
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I relate to Ruby hardcore. Growing up, I also used to think that I was the only one with these worries that wouldn't go away and I couldn't really talk about it because that just wasn't what you did.

I am loving all of the new children's books that deal with the topics of anxiety, depression, and just mental illness in general. Having books like this available will hopefully let the kids know that they aren't alone and that they can talk about the feelings they are having.
Jillian Heise
For SEL & anxiety. I just wish the "worry" wasn't illustrated with the same scribbles as Ruby's hair. ...more
Kris
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable art with a well-intended story, but the simplistic solution , ironically, made me worry a bit. All kids have worries. A lot of them think they are alone. The worries can grow if you try to ignore them. Knowing you are not alone can help. This is all true, and this is all the great part of the book. But Ruby finds another child who also has a worry (great!), and they talk about them (wonderful!), and the worries go away (you were so close!).

I have anxiety. More importantly, I parent a c
Rod Brown
Nice art and story, even if the solution to worrying is super simplified, causing much scoffing from my wife who has spent a great portion of her life engaged in worries.

My tags: (view spoiler)
Kris Dersch
I love this. It's gentle, well-drawn, and I'd use it with a variety of ages. The worst thing to do with a worry...is worry about it and I love that Ruby finds her resolution in helping someone else. My anxious 5-year-old loved it. ...more
Lisa
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that Little Lisa really would have connected to.
Maria
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: worries
Truly great book for children to feel comfortable with sharing their feelings. Ruby’s worry is based around a little girl who was a small worry which then begins to grow. She seeks for a way to to get rid of the worry.
Due to covid 19, children may have a few worries so this book would work well with a PSHE lesson.
Alex Simkin
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Suitable for 3-7 year olds. This story shows the personification/embodiment of 'worry' as an increasingly-massive blob-scribble as Ruby, a little girl, becomes increasingly concerned about an unstated worry. She doesn't tell anybody about her worry, so it just gets bigger and bigger, and she feels worse and worse, until she stumbles across someone else, who is also worried about something. They talk to each other, then their respective worries shrink and Ruby goes back to normal. The story is si ...more
Christina Reid
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that will be useful in any primary classroom or library as it talks about how Ruby comes across a worry...and that worry begins to get bigger and bigger the more she tries to ignore it. Soon the worry gets so big that it is getting in the way of her sleeping or doing the things she loves - what could she do to make her worry go away?
I am planning to read this with my class and use it to spark a discussion about how worries won't go away if we just avoid them and ignore them, as we
Shaye Miller
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diversity
Ruby has a worry. But when she attempts to ignore it, it only grows bigger. No matter what she does, it is always with her in school, on the bus, and even in the movie theater. Obviously, it is dominating her life. Eventually, she learns that everyone has worries and that sometimes the best thing you can do is talk about them. I love the adorable illustrations in this story and am so happy to see this important message available for children who suffer from anxiety (and for those who need empath ...more
Jasmin Davis
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is a great way to make children aware on how they can deal with their own worries and it shows them that they're not alone as everyone gets anxious or worried at some point of their lives.
Mental Health is a major problem at the moment with the cases of children with mental health issues on the rapid incline, it is vital that mental health is spoken about to children.
Also, it is great to see the main character of this book being of minority ethnicity.
This book uses a great use of colo
Maddie
One day Ruby gets a worry, and as time goes on the worry grows and grows until she can't focus on anything but the worry. Ruby thinks she's the only one with a worry until she meets she sees a boy at the park who also has a worry. And talking to him she discovers how to make her worry smaller.

For someone who struggles with anxiety and worries about things a lot, this book is such a great description of it. It does a great job of making it tangible and the imagery of the book is wonderful. I love
Chrisanne
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Therapy for children(and children in older bodies). Loved it.
Niamh
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
JoEllen
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
‪Adding Ruby’s Worry to my collection of titles that may help children address the reality of anxiety and fears that can be overwhelming. Similar to Jack’s Worry and Small Things but helpful to discuss how to handle/get rid of fears- by talking about them. Great for morning meetings/responsive classrooms.
Villain E
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is great. Though I would recommend reading it to your child when they're actively worried about something, not before. The child in the story has an unspecified worry. The feeling of being worried is very accurately described. Ultimately she finds that talking about it helps make it manageable. ...more
Bethlyn Allmey
A lovely book with beautiful illustrations that deals with the topic of worrying very well. It’s such an important subject and will help children to understand that worries can be normal, however it is important to acknowledge them and speak about them. Would definitely use this book in the classroom.
Olivia Mortimer
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book which can be used to help explain to children (particularly KS1) that having things that worry them is perfectly normal and the best thing they can do about it is to talk to someone else. The use of colour versus black and white in the pictures is particularly interesting and helps to emphasise the point of the story through a medium other than words.
Ellie Matthews
This picturebook would be perfect for addressing emotions in a KS1 classroom. The physical image of a worry and the feelings that Ruby has when it arrives perfectly address how children can deal with this emotion, whilst reminding them that it is something that everyone experiences.
Richa Kedia
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply love the book especially the illustrations are so unique and stunning that I can keep looking at them. The colors used are brilliant. Also the story is simple and can be appreciated by all age groups.
Elizabeth Majka
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl finds a worry one day, and has to learn how to stop it from growing.
Allison
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a chronic worrier, I love this story!
Meg
I like the message overall, but if someone came and sat next to me on a bench and started telling me all of their problems I'm pretty sure that would just add to my worries. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Fate of Fausto
  • Two for Me, One for You
  • High Five
  • I'm Sticking with You
  • What Does an Anteater Eat?
  • A Crazy-Much Love
  • Goodbye, Friend! Hello, Friend!
  • Unicorn Day
Tom Percival writes and illustrates picture books (you know, for kids) as well as illustrating books written by other people. The most well known of these is probably the excellent Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy.

He grew up in a remote and beautiful part of South Shropshire. On reflection this seemed rather more remote than beautiful, owing to the fact that he lived in a small caravan w

News & Interviews