Start by marking “I Miss You When I Blink: Dispatches From A Relatively Normal Life” as Want to Read:
I Miss You When I Blink: Dispatches From A Relatively Normal Life

I Miss You When I Blink: Dispatches From A Relatively Normal Life

“I've spent my adult life prowling bookshelves for the modern-day reincarnation of my favorite authors—Nora Ephron, Erma Bombeck, Jean Kerr, and Laurie Colwin—all rolled into one...Good news: I have finally found their successor.” —Elisabeth Egan, The Washington Post

Acclaimed essayist and bookseller Mary Laura Philpott presents a charmingly relatable and wise memoir-in-ess
Published April 2nd 2019 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about I Miss You When I Blink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Miss You When I Blink

Elyse Walters
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook.. narrated by the author.

Mary Laura Philpott is so enjoyable!!
.....wise, savvy, smart, funny!

“What happens when you check off off the boxes on your to-do list and realize you might need to reinvent the list—and yourself?”

Maybe.....that’s why most of us never complete our to-do lists....we’re afraid to reinvent ourselves. Ha!

Very satisfying Audiobook.....
looking at life in CHUNKS!!!!

“I Miss You When I Blink”..
is marvelous!!!!

Tyler Goodson
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
This book will make you feel better. Mary Laura is open and honest about personal anxiety, family life, professional complacency, and, of course, the existential damage wreaked by Atlanta traffic. She makes you feel less alone, and encouraged, and confident. It's like hanging out with your best friend, your life coach, and your favorite writer all at once. I Miss You When I Blink is an impossibly perfect reading experience.
Janelle • She Reads with Cats
Thank you so much Atria Books for my free copy!

I MISS YOU WHEN I BLINK is a personal, witty, and heartfelt collection of essays where every sentence is pure gold. Philpott writes beautifully and with such authenticity I felt like I was getting to know a friend. Like everyone, there are milestones in my life that I want to go back and revisit but the moments are gone and memories are all that is left.

“You can stand by your past decisions even if they took you to a present where you don’t belong
Skyler Autumn
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 Stars

Ummmm, this was not great and I'm a little surprised by that. This book is quite hyped up and being compared to a personal favourite read of mine The Rules Don't Apply by Ariel Levy so I did go into this book expecting a lot more substance than was actually delivered.

I Miss You When I Blink was slated as a collection of personal essays that address feelings of depression, anxiety and inadequacy amidst having what most (everyone honestly) would classify as a very successful, loving and
Jessica Jeffers
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Believe the hype on this one; it's flippin' brilliant. More to come.
lit.erary.britt
Smart, witty personal essays are some of my favorite reading. Philpott reminds us that being an adult, even one who seemingly has everything, is hard and periodically sucks. Sometimes we have to step back and assess ourselves; tweak a few things or make drastic changes. As someone who has moved a lot, I understand that urge (though, like Philpott, I currently reside in the Nashville area and quite like it). I enjoyed these stories, but feel like they scratch the surface. I’d read the hell out of ...more
Renee (itsbooktalk.com)
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up
“I know already how much I miss things that happened in the past- how they’re right there behind my eyelids but also gone forever. “

This quote and so many others in @marylauraphilpott ‘s new memoir really spoke to me. As a mom to one son already in college and the next (and last) son heading there in the fall, I often wish I could go back in time, just for a day and revisit them when they were young children. Those moments are right there in my memory, but as Mary said...gone fore
Kristy K
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I’m learning that I really like memoirs in essay form, or maybe just essays in general. Philpott fills hers with relatable anecdotes and a great mixture of humor and authenticity.

I received an advanced copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.
Kelsey (Kelseylovesbooks)
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
I Miss You When I Blink spoke to a spiritual level within me. At times, it was like Mary was looking into my soul and saying “As a type-A person who likes control, I know you need to hear this.” And within the essay titled “A Letter to the Type a Person in Distress”, that is literally what she was doing. I felt seen by this book, I laughed during this book, and I gained permission I didn’t know I needed from this book.

Several essays are about Mary’s life with children, and while I do not have ch
Brittany | thebookishfiiasco
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(@atriabooks #partner)
this was one of the most pleasant, funny, real, honest, and friendly reads i’ve ever read. every time i had this book with me and read a few of the stories, i felt like i was with a friend. that’s some pretty stellar writing, if you ask me. each story encapsulated a bit of wisdom, a bit of humor, and a lot of realness, which is pretty much all i’m ever looking for.

i think it’s that authenticity that made this book the great experience that it was for me. i felt like i wal
Melanie  Hilliard
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars with the caveat that if you’re a certain class of white woman on the far side of 40, this might hit a little too close to home. Also, full disclosure: I won this in a Goodreads give away!

Charming. Thought-provoking. And infuriating in the all the ways today’s upper middle-class white women can be. Or maybe I just related to Philpott’s essays more than I’d care to admit. I imagine if I had children, this book would describe my adult experiences to a tee.

For all the overachievers in the
Andrea (Born and Read in Chicago)
This collection of essays was super high on my to-be-read list. Two of my favorite books of 2018 could be described similarly (Heating & Cooling and Tell Me More). And on paper, this practically shouts YOU ARE THE TARGET AUDIENCE. I was born a year before the author and have checked all those boxes and, yes, can sometimes be type-A and a little anxious. Plus she works at Parnassus! It's blurbed by Ann Patchett! Although, while relatable in many ways, it didn't engage me like I hoped it would ...more
Megan C.
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5. I'm not a huge nonfiction reader, but this collection of essays hit me in the feelings and the funny bone. Mary Laura is so real and relatable - she mad me feel SEEN. Highly recommended!
Jaclyn Crupi
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Smart and funny essays. ‘Good Job’ hit particularly close to home. I do prefer essays from minority voices and this is definitely from a wealthy, privileged white woman but her voice is authentic and her experiences her own.
Deb Coco
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I grabbed this book after 3 friends AND one of my daughters told me I had to read it ASAP. And I'm happy to report that clearly, they all know me well because I loved it. Essays aren't usually my cup of tea, but I connected with the authors story on SO many levels it was crazy. Type A? Check. Post-It note abuser? Check. Obsessed with the safety of my children? Check. Love animals so much it hurts? Check. And on and on and on. Mary Laura Philpott articulated so well what it feels like to be a wom ...more
Jaclyn (sixminutesforme)
This was a fun and light read, but not one that will leave any lasting impression on me 🤷🏻♀ ...more
Ashlee Long
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF. Okay, so some of these essays may have made me giggle, but, ultimately, what’s the purpose of this? This is going to sound harsh, but it’s clear that some people get to publish a book just because they have money. This book is an affluent white lady’s blog in print. I want a book to do more for me than this...I want a bit more substance, even if we’re simply talking essays.
Nancy Davis Kho
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book and tore through it in <2 days. Some memoirs are great because they show us experiences most of us will never have; this one was great because it puts the experiences so many of us have had into context, with empathy and humor. The writing is sharp and funny, but what makes this memoir-in-essays collection special is the humanity, humility, and hope on every page.
Andrienne
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for Type A personalities or who want to understand them. These essays are about a woman who has everything -children, spouse, work and dares to ask for more. Self-effacing, the author speaks her mind but takes care not to offend. She doesn’t like small talk or doing status quo stuff, but she always follows up with something articulate and reasonable.

Some parts really made me guffaw. However, I really loved her letter to a type A person in distress the most. She really got it for those w
Janet
This book kept me company during two bouts of insomnia, and I'm forever grateful to Mary Laura for that. I messaged the author on Instagram to say this: "I was up from 2:30 until 6 finishing your book. I love it so. I am encouraged to polish many essays/stories I've written myself but never shared with the world. Thank you! I am dying to take you to coffee to list all the ways you are my secret twin and how a few of your essays were paralleling my life in real time."

I adore Mary Laura, and I un
Rebekah Patin
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, short-stories
“I Miss You When I Blink” by Mary Laura Philpott. I was fortunate to win this book in a giveaway and was able to read it before it publication date of 4/2. I want to put this book on every woman’s radar. It is a collection of essays in memoir style telling very honest and heartfelt stories from the authors life. The writing is hilarious and moving. I would find myself laughing til I cried through some of the essays and deeply touched by others. Some of the essays were like a window into my inner ...more
Kaitlyn Vella
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Wow.

This is one of those books that I know is going to stick with me for the rest of my life. Mary Laura Philpott's words have already changed my life in ways that I truly never thought possible. I can't thank her enough for writing something so brilliant and letting us into her inner thoughts and into her life.

I never write in books. It's just something I never found myself able to do. Instead? I'd write on post-its and stick them on the pages I wanted to go back to. I found myself writing in
Heather Fineisen
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are some really strong essays here including the title, which I love. Children, insecurities, deprecating insights into the Author's world. A tribute to Nora Ephron was memorable as we're other literary references. I will definitely be on the lookout for more from Philpott.

Copy provided by the Publisher and NetGalley
Amy
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved I Miss You When I Blink! Each essay contains obervations that are spot on descriptions of experiences & feelings that I relate to or have at some point experienced as a Type A first born female. The author’s authenticity, honesty, & willingness to "go there" are what makes each essay so relatable.
I’m looking forward to reading more by this author & am keeping my fingers crossed that she’ll be visiting a local bookstore or library as part of a book tour for this book.

***Thank
Kim
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays, nonfiction
I really loved this collection! They were the perfect length, as well as so smart and funny and charming. I think everyone can find something to relate to here. [ARC provided by Netgalley. All thoughts are my own.]
Rachel | mrs.bennett.reads
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
NB: thank you to Netgalley and Atria Books for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Have you ever read a book and thought...HOW did this person see directly into my soul? Did I actually write this book and not even know it? Reading I Miss You When I Blink was that sort of experience.

Philpott is open about the struggles and triumphs she has experienced in her life. I appreciated that she maintained perspective about her privileged and blessed life situation wh
Genevieve Trono
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I Miss You When I Blink is a collection of memoir-style essays. Like with any collection of short stories or essays, I connected with some more than others. I found Philpott's writing witty and approachable and she had so many accurate descriptions of life as a middle-aged white mother who is balancing career, family and the forever pull of wondering if what we have done with our time has been worthwhile.

There is a great balance of humor and I appreciated that she was able to acknowledge her pr
Amy (TheSouthernGirlReads)
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“It’s fine. We have plenty of time. Try it again, more like you.”
Mary Laura Philpott
I have been listening to this gem for the past few days. When I heard that last line...I thought...hello, new life quote.
This book of essays is one I will be pushing for a very long time to come. Every single chapter or errr, essay had something completely relatable. It was insanely smart. Very funny and all out fantastic. The fact that Mary Laura is southern just made me love her more. I love when southern wom
Jenn
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been meaning to gush about this book but never have found the time or my ARC copy in front of me. I'm not a person to write in books and don't normally have a writing instrument at the ready while I'm reading, but I found myself writing notes, ah-ha's, and exclamation points. On several of the entries I noted which of my book friends (NG-my BBF and LR) I was thinking would love or relate to them. [I will hopefully come back to this review, note my favorite essays and add my margin notes.]
I
Rhiannon Johnson
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I received an e-ARC of this book from the publisher and Netgalley*

Occasionally I come across a book that I just want to shove at everyone I know. That’s how I feel about I Miss You When I Blink. To all my friends who consider themselves Type-A personalities 🙋🏼♀do yourself a favor and read this one...I highlighted almost every page. When you get to the part about chicken salad, know that I was laughing so hard there were tears running down my face😂
Similarity 1 3 Apr 02, 2019 02:20PM
  • Hard to Love: Essays and Confessions
  • The World is on Fire: Scrap, Treasure, and Songs of the Apocalypse
  • Southern Lady Code
  • What My Mother and I Don't Talk About: Fifteen Writers Break the Silence
  • The Fame Lunches: On Sadness, Writing, the Promise of Fame, and Other Imperfections
  • Can You Tolerate This?
  • I Wrote This Book Because I Love You: Essays
  • Betwixt-and-Between: Essays on the Writing Life
  • Save My Place
  • Working the Room: Essays and Reviews: 1999-2010
Mary Laura Philpott is the author of the memoir-in-essays I Miss You When I Blink. Her writing has been featured in print or online by The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, McSweeney’s, The Paris Review, and other publications. She’s the founding editor of Musing, the online publication of Parnassus Books, as well as an Emmy-winning cohost of the show A Word on Words on N ...more
“What a job, to raise someone from birth to adulthood, bestowing upon them your knowledge and your values and, despite your best intentions, any number of traits you've inherited yourself. What a loaded task, to make every move, every day, in such a way that the impressionable larva-person in your home will see your example, process it into something with herself, and grow layers of muscle and soul over it until she is a fully developed human being. And all the while, the little person you're nurturing is fighting you - spitting out the broccoli, not wearing the helmet, rolling her eyes at your carefully chosen words of advice - and you become constantly worn down even as you pour your energies into loving her.” 3 likes
“Maybe we all walk around assuming everyone is interpreting the world the same way we are, and being surprised when they aren't, and that's the loneliness and confusion of the human experience in a nutshell.” 2 likes