Start by marking “Full Tilt (Full #2)” as Want to Read:
Full Tilt (Full #2)

Full Tilt

(Full #2)

He lives life in the fast lane and she's along for the ride--with no brakes....

Jamie Swift has one priority in quiet Beaumont, South Carolina: running the local newspaper. Romance runs second. But with the arrival of her silent partner, the notoriously mysterious and sexy Maximillian Holt, Jamie's life gets shaken up. Max claims he's here to give his brother-in-law a vote
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published March 13th 2003 by Headline (first published February 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Full Tilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Tilt

Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I liked this one better than the first one I have to say. I thought Jamie was a stronger female lead and the interaction between them was good enough that I could forgive the male lead for being named Maximillian Holt and I could overlook that she was a struggeling small town newspaper owner and he was a rich sexy batman type. So I guess I am saying that the writing was good enough that you can forgive the cliches.
Marla
Mar 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Same as the first book. Wasn't really interested in what happened to any of the characters, the mystery seemed weak, and things just meandered on until it stopped.
Tara
This is the second book in this series. The first one is set 20 years earlier and was written at least 10 years earlier. Basically JE wrote the first one under a pen name and then Charlotte Hughes joined the team and they updated and expanded it. From there they started a series which is really just based on Max. When we meet Max in the first book, he is 16, he's a child genius, he has been out of HIgh school for 4 years and has been kicked out of several universities. He is an idealist that jus ...more
Leslie Matey
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I always love Janet Evanovich's books. I read some and then also get her audiobooks. For this book, I got the audio version. Lorelei King is amazing at telling the stories and holds your attention throughout. I realize that once I get to the place I am going, I usually sit in the parking lot for at least 5-10 minutes longer than needed in order to continue listening to the books.
Iasa
May 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
ridiculous
Susan
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Janet Evanovich fans
There are lots of zany and eccentric characters in this book by Janet Evanovich who teams up with author Charlotte Hughes in this series. It is a great read for a rainy Saturday afternoon in Phoenix. The story takes place in Beaumont, South Carolina that has a small town newspaper owned by Jamie Swift who is engaged to a wealthy socialite's son, attorney Phillip Standish - that is until the mysterious Maximillian Holt comes to town. Max Holt was a character in the previous book in the series, Fu ...more
Melanie
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
It was good seeing what happened with Max and Deedee. There were almost too many bad guys in this book that made it a bit confusing, but not complex. Felt Jamie was transformed a bit too quickly to fit into future books. Not bad, but had this series been my first experience with Evanovich I probably wouldn't have continued onto the Plum series.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
When I read these over a decade ago, I loved them. But I was a very different and much more naive person back then. Now, I just can't do it. I made it through Full House only because I remembered only having mildly liked it back then, but I'd loved this one, and it's making me cringe so hard now. Why?

1) The writing
2) Max has an ex-wife named Bunny and a fear of commitment.
3) He programmed his fancy batmobile car computer to have a sexy female voice and named the computer Muffin, even though the
Lisa
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Muffin was a bit overdone in terms of personification...a little too sci-fi for me in this scenario. Not that I don't want a car with AI like Muffin; it just seemed a bit over the top.

One takeaway from this book: proper use of trouper versus trooper. I have my normal grammatical pet peeves, as most readers do: your/you're, its/it's, there/their/they're, etc...you know, the mundane ones that elicit groans from even non-editors. However, I also eschew lesser known errors, and trouper/trooper is a
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Full Tilt was very fun, sort of like Knight Rider for written for women. The main star of the novel is a sweet car with a mega-powerful computer. The computer, named Muffin, comes fully equipped with a sexy Marilyn Monroe voice. The actual main characters, Jamie and Max, share a thick romantic tension felt throughout the book.

While I enjoyed the book a lot, I have some complaints as well. Most importantly, the would be killer said some rather obvious things in the middle of the book that, while
Julianne
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is #2 in the new "Full....." series by Janet Evanovich. This one is about Max and Jamie. Lots of quirky characters. Tension. Frankie is running for mayor of a small town in South Carolina, and he suspects someone has been misusing the city's tax funds. He promises to look into possible corruption, and that's when the trouble starts.

Threatening letters, a shooting at the newspaper office, and worse. Max investigates, and brings Jamie along with him. He uses Muffin to help him . "Who's Muffi
CupcakeBlonde
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 05, 2012 added it
Shelves: mom-s
ridiculous and poorly written
Cyndi
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love these books! I really want a car like Muffy. So cool!
Karen
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Co-written with another author. Not nearly as good as Evanovich by herself writing about Stephanie Plum.
Just - The romance reader
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-library
As with all Janet Evanovich I've read thus far, I really enjoyed this book. It was fun and action filled with a nice little romance thrown in.
Dawn
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ok... I am an Evanovich fan girl. I have been reading her books for years. I have fond memories of my father listening to this book. That being said, this is the first time that I've actually listened to the audio book start to finish.

Though I enjoyed the character's mis-matched characteristics, I did find that they didn't expand on all of the characters fully. Jamie and Bennie had a great introduction. Frankie, Deedee and the wrestlers were in the previous book so they didn't need anything mor
Samantha
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full Tilt has the same quirkiness as Full House (with some of the same characters, albeit in a different setting) & Stephanie Plum. The shenanigans are not so outlandish as multiple car explosions, like I've read some readers of Evanovich grow tired of in Plum. The adventure between Max & Jamie kept me wondering "what's next" from page one so much so that every time I had a chance to pick it up, I did not want to put it down. Disclaimer: Full House does not NEED to be read first, but I r ...more
Leanne Crabtree
2.5 stars.

There were a few things that I just didn't particularly like about this: Max was good at EVERYTHING, and I do mean everything; hand to hand combat, survival skills, hacking, attacking alligators, knowing how to disarm bombs etc. Just all seemed so OTT. As did Deedee? and Beenie. They were so annoying in their cliché-ness. Gay best friend of pampered, spoilt rich girl. Ugh. And then Jamie's reaction to every dangerous thing they encountered; to squeal like a banshee and tell Max to move
Lauren
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
if you've ever wanted a series to jump so far forward your mind was completely blown this series is for you. It never really tells us what year it is or how long it's been since we've met some of the characters but you know it's at least been 15 years. this installment is space on no longer young Max Falling in Love with a newspaper editor named Jamie. I'm not a huge fan of the author skipping so much time. Plus she never mentioned the main characters from book 1. it was okay, but it seems like ...more
Brenda
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Though not my favorite Evanovich series, still worth reading. Of course, Stephanie Plum series is number one of all and really quite wonderful. Diesel and Lizzie are also wonderful, just not as many yet. This series, the Full series, is fluff and attempt. I feel as though they are early works and she has improved very much with the Plum series. I don't know when what was written, it is just the impression I have. I still wouldn't miss reading the Full series. READ in ORDER.
Jill
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
It is a "no brainer" book. I had the audio version, which I think made it rather amusing. Max Holt has a highly modified car with a computer called "Muffin". She talks to him, has a personality, shows emotion and a voice like Marilyn Munro. Jamie is the owner of a struggling country town newspaper. She doesn't know that Max is her silent partner. Max can be egotistical and a bit sleazy but you can't help but like him. It's an amusing jaunt!
Batgirl13
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, romance
A very fun romance book. The narrator does voices (a couple of them are a bit hard to listen to-Didi especially) for the different characters and the story moves along quite quickly. Full of action and funny old references to technology that probably isn't as exciting today (one of the main characters could send faxes from his car!). I will definitely look for the next in this series. Fun and just the distraction I needed. :)
Amanda
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, fiction
Millionaire playboy and Tony Stark-esque genius Max Holt arrives into small town South Carolina to investigate threats made against his brother in law and also save the local newspaper.

This is a lazily written book and I can’t believe the creator of Stephanie Plum had anything to do with it. The causal sexism is reminiscent of a made-for-TV 80s rom-com, the characters are flat and the story is boring.

Why two stars? It was well structured and fast paced. That’s all.
Paula Jones
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't think there is any way I could be objective. Everything Janet Evanovich writes is so good. This is an older book but it is just as good as every book of hers I've read. So, as usual, glowing recommendations from me. A fun and awesome read. When I grow up I want to write like Janet Evanovich. :)
El
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, audiobook, library
Easy, light reading which doesn't merit too much analysis. The characters are not uniformly well drawn but the farcical storyline is solid enough to hold the reader's attention. Recommended if you want a book to cheer you up but not make you think too deeply. And special mention of the reader, Lorelei King, who is really very good indeed.
Susan
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book. It is interesting and keeps your attention. the characters are unique individuals. I love "Muffin" the high tech car.
I listened to the audio book and Lorelei King is amazing as usual.
There is a sex scene and some moderate language.
Katie
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Jamie Swift runs the local (failing) newspaper. Millionaire and playboy Max Holt comes to town to support his brother-in-law's mayoral race. Corruption and a murder plot ensue but you can call the mastermind the minute you met the character
Thompson
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Like a trite made for TV movie.
Barbara Schultz
I have read some great psychological thrillers so was kind of in the mood for a funny [Author: Janet Evanovich] novel.
Yikes disappointed .. this didn’t work for me.

Join in the discussions! 1 12 Apr 30, 2009 01:31PM
  • Foul Play
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • Summer Lovin’ (Costas Sisters #2)
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Perfectly Plum: Unauthorized Essays On the Life, Loves And Other Disasters of Stephanie Plum, Trenton Bounty Hunter
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • Don't Look Down
  • It's All Greek to Me
  • Bubbles All The Way (Bubbles Yablonsky, #6)
  • Killer in High Heels (High Heels, #2)
  • Flirting With Danger (Samantha Jellicoe, #1)
  • Devil May Care
  • Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4)
  • Unscrewed (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #3)

Full (6 books)
  • Full House (Full #1)
  • Full Speed (Full, #3)
  • Full Blast (Full #4)
  • Full Bloom (Full #5)
  • Full Scoop (Full #6)
“-You're gloating, Max. It's not flattering. Somebody needs to teach you a little humility.-
-A good woman could do that.-
-She'd have to be armed and dangerous.-”
11 likes
“We're not going to die. You're with me kiddo and it just happens I know a few survival skills."
"Oh yeah right. Like carrying your Visa Gold in case the restaurant doesn't accept American Express.”
6 likes