Start by marking “The Good Egg” as Want to Read:
The Good Egg

The Good Egg

In this follow-up to Jory John and Pete Oswald’s popular picture book The Bad Seed, meet the next best thing: a very good egg, indeed!

The good egg has been good for as long as he can remember. While the other eggs in his carton are kind of rotten, he always does the right, kind, and courteous thing. He is a verrrrrrry good egg indeed! Until one day he decides that enough
Published February 12th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Good Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Egg

Start your review of The Good Egg
Calista
We loved this book in our house. There were lots of things to laugh at. All the eggs in a carton had some funny faces and the niece and nephew laughed and laughed at all the rhyming names. There is also a picture of the egg escorting an old granny bacon across the street and they laughed at that. Eggs were in the toilet and sliding down stairs. I kept pointing out all the things happening in the book that both kids do. We laughed.

The good eggs lives with 11 other bad eggs and they stress him out
Kendall
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This book teaches kids that you don't always have to be perfect, but doesn't teach them that they don't have to put up with being bullied and taking loads of shit from their "friends". Seemed to me like Egg settled because he was lonely and kids need to know they don't have to settle or give in. Loved the illustrations.
David Schaafsma
My family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books every year. This is book #6 (of more than 20) of 2019, and we were all over the map on this one, from 1-4.5 stars. A sequel to The Bad Seed?

Lyra (12): 4. Treat people the way they want to be treated! Yeah! I like the cute eggs.

Hank (13): 1. The "good," unrunny eggs.

Tara: 4. Cute. But he should not have gone home.

Harry (14): 4.5. Good drawings, and I agree with Mom. [sure, because he's the oldest!]

Dave: 2. I thought it was just
La Coccinelle
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Having read The Bad Seed last year, I was eager to give The Good Egg a try. I actually like this one a little more than its predecessor... mostly because I can really relate to the main character!

The good egg is verrrrrry good. He's a perfectionist... but it doesn't extend just to himself. He gets annoyed by the other eggs in his carton (who have amusing names; I won't spoil that for you) when they don't live up to his standards. So he decides to strike out on his own. After taking some time
Sara Grochowski
I really identify with this little egg.
Deborah
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. Cute. How a good egg rose above the carton of a dozen bad eggs. After cracking up, he leaves to find himself and to appreciate his fellow eggs.
Abigail
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Good Eggs Who Worry Too Much About What Others Are Doing
Shelves: picture-books
Author Jory John and illustrator Pete Oswald, who previously collaborated on The Bad Seed , join forces again in this entertaining new picture-book. The eponymous Good Egg, having been virtuous and well-meaning from the first moment of his existence, finds life with the other eleven eggs in his carton rather rough. Eventually going off on his own, when his efforts to make the other eggs be good lead only to stress, and the development of cracks in his shell, he learns to decompress and take ...more
Tina
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wonder-years
Being perfect is overrated...and puts one under a pressure-cooker until...crack, your shell is showing a bit of wear & tear. It was great reading this today at story time because last week we talked about how to breathe and take it easy on ourselves...which is showcased in this picture book...one good egg in a bad carton will do it to you every time.
Sara
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bad Seed was pretty good but The Good Egg was absolutely amazing!! I wish I had read this when I was a kid because I was high strung as heck and could have used the message that it's okay not to be perfect all the time.

ps. The views expressed in this review are my own and do not reflect the views of Indigo Books & Music Inc. or any of its subsidiaries.
Joshua Gross
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good little book, entertaining illustrations. An uptight busybody of an egg gets too worked up about what everyone else is doing and forgets to care for himself. A good lesson in self care and not worrying so much what everybody else is doing.
Natalie
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So this is a picture book, but it is absolutely adorable!! I also love the message. "Not everyone is perfect. And I don't have to be either." Such a CUTE picture book!! ...more
Rod Brown
Nov 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Goodreads Choice Awards Project: Read as many of the opening round Best Picture Book nominees as possible. 11 to go!

I thought Humpty Dumpty already proved that eggs make lousy protagonists. Our ovoid hero has fallen in with a carton of bad eggs. He goes on a quest to become okay with the fact that you cannot change other eggs, only your attitude toward them. He then returns to the carton to eat their shit for the rest of his life. End of story.

Abusive relationships are okay? Not a moral I'd want
PuPilla
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-english, 2019
I needed something easy and silly after the torments of Anna Karenina, and it seemed like The Good Egg might be the one for me now. ;)
And while I found it entertaining and funny, it also manages to teach a lesson about slowing down, taking care of yourself, and not letting the burdens of life and bad behaviour of others crush you. It focuses on important stuff, on a basic level.
I liked its nicely drawn images, my favourite being where the little good egg is at the doctor's, getting an infusion
Cassie
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I remember a few years ago a parent asked me for books for a 7 year old about being a perfectionist and anxiety about others being less than perfect. This would have been a great story for that kid! Egg is so sweet and well-meaning and drawn so adorably.

The only thing that bothered me is that it appears that he becomes ok with being treated badly by the other eggs. They look like such jerks and I just wanted him to ditch them and find a better group of friends! Otherwise I think it's a great
Amy
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those titles that makes me so happy to be a children's librarian. That there are such talented authors and illustrators in the world who dedicate their time to bringing joy to children and adults through such charming works is a blessing.
Once again, I realize I am a sucker for any title with naughty characters (I love all the bad eggs in the dozen) and I adore this book. Can't wait to read it for storytime!
Ashlee Tominey
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I really relate to this egg. Perfectionist that starts to actually crack up takes time for himself and learns to live with the 11 other less than perfect eggs in his carton.
Punny. Lots of action in illustrations. 4.5 year old is a fan.
Woody Chichester
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Jory John, and this collaboration with Pete Oswald is just as good as The Bad Seed. The Good Egg is a tale kids need (adults too!) Slow down! You can't change others. You can't do everything for everyone! Self care is important. Good messages all around.
Michal
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What a beautiful story! Love this book and love the message even more!
MaryLibrarianOH
Fun egg puns make this a great choice to share with elementary school listeners.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
An egg is always good, always helping others, always doing the right thing. After a while, he begins to notice that he is starting...to...crack...up. He takes a break and feels calm and peaceful again, and he finds he can return to his life with his other egg friends.

It's a perfect story for today's overworked, always-on-alert parents and kids, complete with tips for de-stressing.
Cara Byrne
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A favorite of both my kindergartener ("those eggs are so silly! They drew him underwear!") and my toddler ("EYES! OOO! EYES!"). Clever story that emphasizes the need for self-reflection and some alone time.
Molly
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing story with wonderful illustrations.

I loved Jory John’s, ‘The Bad Seed.’ My last year’s Year 1 class adored it! No seriously, I had children waiting desperately for their turn to read the book at story time! So I had to buy The Good Egg when I saw it on the shelf at the book shop.

Like The Bad Seed, John creates another charming, funny, intriguing and relatable (for little ones and adults alike) character. The message in this book is so heartwarming and translates to adult and
Annese
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm such a nerd. I genuinely laughed out loud at the bag of yolk!
BiblioBickie
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not sure what to make of this one; it left me wondering, "what?" I don't like binary descriptions of beings as "good" or "bad"; eventually, the nameless good egg (the other eleven eggs have egg-y names or are named "Frank") decides they don't need to be perfect, just like their "friends" aren't. However, at the end, Good Egg decides they're too lonely to be away from the other eleven and returns, even though the others don't seem to treat Good Egg any better than before. Good Egg takes part in ...more
robyn
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book had the chance to really be something but instead it took the easy way out. Changing our behavior and taking care of ourselves is great, but continuing to be bullied and used by bad people for their own entertainment is not, especially if THAT is the reason you have to take extra care of yourself. The Good Egg doesn't do his fellow eggs any favors and neither does this book. It also implies that you to go away and be alone to take care of yourself. While a good option, it doesn't take ...more
Shae McDaniel
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book SO MUCH. I didn't think anything could top The Bad Seed, yet here we are. As a rule-following perfectionist eldest child, this book resonates so much. I love the message of "Yes, raise your children to be good, but also let them be kids or they're going to crack."
The Reading Countess
Kids of all ages need this gentle reminder to step back and breathe deeply when life comes at you so hard that you begin to crack. THE GOOD EGG normalizes every day frustrations, legitimizes self care and places value on presence over perfection. Timely. Needed. What’s not to like?
Becky
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
LOVE the illustration style. Story itself is great for a perfectionist who is trying so hard to be perfect and make everyone around them just as perfect that they are starting to, well, crack.

A healthy book... with the CUTEST egg.
Amanda
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little long, but really enjoyable. Call me crazy, but I'm not so sure that he really is such a good egg through and through. (If someone painted MY house like that, there would be trouble!) No pun intended, this cracked me up.
Raven Black
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sadly, a preachy story about being the "good egg" but then learning to "take care of yourself" and it's okay to "not be perfect." Very modern story that you're going to love or hate. By the author of Bad Seed.
Final Round
3,807,830 Votes Cast

• Because
  • A Piglet Named Mercy
  • What If Everybody Thought That?
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Just Because
  • Another
  • Vacation for Dexter! (Dexter T. Rexter, #3)
  • Say Something