Start by marking “Red Kayak” as Want to Read:
Red Kayak

Red Kayak

(Red Kayak)

Brady loves life on the Chesapeake Bay with his friends J.T. and Digger. But developers and rich families are moving into the area, and while Brady befriends some of them, like the DiAngelos, his parents and friends are bitter about the changes. Tragedy strikes when the DiAngelos’ kayak overturns in the bay, and Brady wonders if it was more than an accident. Soon, Brady ...more
Published April 6th 2006 by Puffin Books (first published September 23rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Red Kayak, please sign up.
Sam Miller this is going to be a good book because I think the ending is really good
Alley page 140, when he's examining his sister's photograph, it says he has dark eyes and curly brown hair

Start your review of Red Kayak
Angie Field
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book. I laughed. I cried. I was totally connected and hooked from the beginning. This book tugs on our heart because sometimes the cost of doing what's right is too high. I would love the opportunity to use this as a novel study or a literature circle book with my students. The characters are easy to relate to and come from diverse families that are anything but perfect. The writing was wonderful and kept the level of suspense high - you won't want to put it down, and if ...more
jv poore
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had no idea what this was about when I picked it up. Heavier than I expected a Middle-Grade book to be, but certainly not in an "too much" kind of way. It was one of those books that I may consider pseudo-challenging because often "the right thing" is the harder thing, so while I'm making decisions based solely on emotions, I'd have to have my head buried in the sand to not see that the harsher decision is the right one.

I'm glad that I read this. It was recommended to me by an 11 year old
Elizabeth
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
As a high school teacher, I had to read Red Kayak as it was assigned to my freshmen as a summer reading book. I wish I could tell my students how much I sympathize with them. Although I powered through this book, I found the main character completely unrelatable and having little personality.

In all fairness, Red Kayak explores the difficult situation of what happens to a friendship when one person crosses the proverbial line. Do you tell others what your friend has done, thereby "selling them
Wyatt Smith
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Juice WRLD
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I RATE IT 6 STARS OUT OF 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tanvi  N. 8B
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
love this book too good!!!
Noah Koh
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I think that the book was WAY too dramatic, and the problem and solution were suggested to quickly. But, I did like the plot and the unique idea of the story. So I rate it an overall 3 star.
Eugene Krabs (Amberlyn)
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was yet again really suspenseful and amazing. I'd recommend it to anybody, it's not that bad!
Isabel Bocanegra
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Red Kayak is a good book the main character, Brady has a great life on the water in the Chesapeake Bay. He has two friends that he calls J.T and Digger some new people called the DeAngelos have bot Digger's grandfather's farm, Digger plans to do something with J.T that Brady doesn't know.
Samantha
3.5
This book was a fun middle grade/ young adult mystery with interesting characters and a cool plot. I think it’s really good if you’re starting to read thrillers and you need something easy to follow and get involved in. It’s also good if you want to read mystery/ thriller but don’t want a gross book full of gore and fear. It’s suspenseful, but not so terrifying that you won’t be able to sleep at night.
Kearden
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tena Edlin
This book would be a great addition to my 6th grade moral dilemma literature circles. It explores the struggle people face to do the right thing, especially when the right thing might hurt someone they love. The story is suspenseful, and I really liked the characters. They seemed very real to me. I think boys and girls alike would enjoy reading this book.
Elizabeth Conway(Bieber Feaver)
Really loved this book! Had the picture really running through my head. Whenever I get a chance I will want to read this again. GREAT BOOK!(:
Sebastian Attlan
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Red Kayak, a realistic fiction book by Priscilla Cummings, is a great thriller with twists and surprises throughout. It ingeniously makes a riverside school setting into a story about revenge and ethics.
On the Corsica River in Maryland, Brady, the protagonist of the story, and his friends JT and Digger, were demoralized when their only source of fun, a dock on the river, was bought out by the Diangelo's. Despite his anger towards the family, the protagonist still befriends the Diangelo’s 3 year
Disa Banker
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great hook within the first few chapters of the book. Continued to be engaging and interesting, but I thought the ending was a little bit too perfect.
Ezari Washington
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing because there so many surprises and there's a huge twist in the middle i rate this 5 stars.
Gretchen Taylor
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story with important lessons for adolescents - the writing style was tricky for me to enjoy, though
Tara Smalley
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit
Brady is a fourteen-year-old boy who confronts a tragedy and must determine what action he should take - what is the "right thing" to do. I thought Brady's narration was very believable. His voice sounds very authentic, and the author does a good job of depicting his inner torment. I also really liked the description of the natural world. The reader gets a very good image of the Chesapeake Bay. Also, the book discusses the economy and problems this region faces. This book deals with numerous ...more
Bryce Kimble
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Claire Epperson
*Real rating - 3.5 stars

This book was really good for me. It had suspense where suspense was needed. It had dialogue where dialogue was needed. But it just didn't seem . . . original.
My theory is that an author writes a book for themselves. Not for the pleasure of others. But when they start to write according to what they think the audience would like to happen instead of what they personally want to happen, you get a book like this. Stop reading now unless you want a serving of spoilers.
Of
Teri
Mar 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
I was asked to read and review this book by the children's librarian at my local library.

I'm a fast reader, and while I whipped through the book in a little over an hour, I still felt that I spent too long reading the book. The characters were very, very flat and dry, they didn't have a definite voice, and the story was choppy and didn't flow well. I also felt like the book was written to appeal to boys, so it was plot-driven, but not driven very well.

Thematically this book reminded me of the
Avery
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Dolly
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
Recommended to Dolly by: Deborah Taylor
This book was one of our required readings for my YA lit class, as part of my MLIS program. It's a very emotionally driven tale that really covers a lot of different topics. The loss of a child, loss of a sibling, gradual loss of a person's livelihood, the acute illness of a parent, spousal abuse and discord, loyal friendship, bullying, etc. It seems the list goes on and on.

I was drawn into this story and read it fairly quickly. I felt like the plot was a bit too drawn out and the situation was
Rohandevulapally
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Red Kayak by Priscilla Cummings is a realistic fiction/mystery novel. The main theme of the book is that a person should always tell the truth no matter how difficult it may be. The book takes place in Maryland in the present. Brady finds out that his friends are responsible for a murder. Brady can’t decide if he should tell someone or not, which depresses him. After a couple of months, Brady finally opens up to his worried parents. His two friend have to go to a school for discipline for nine ...more
Mia M
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This summer I read a book that I really enjoyed. It is called Red Kayak and it is by Priscilla Cummings. The theme of Red Kayak is don’t do something stupid that you know will end badly because it can get you in more trouble than you predicted. The genre of this book is fiction and it is set on the Corsica River, Maryland. Brady loves to go out each morning to get his crab pots with his best friends JT and Digger when a new family moves into JT’s property forcing him to move away, but not to ...more
Will S.
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*Warning: Although this review does not spoil the main plot this review may spoil more of the book than some reviewers want to see*
Red Kayak by Priscilla Cummings is a great book that shows the best decision is the honest decision.
Red Kayak is a realistic fiction novel that takes place in a town in Maryland near a river. Brady is an eighth grade boy and enjoys spending time on the river crabbing. Brady and his best friends, J.T. and Digger, have been friends since he was little. In the
Noah Rucks
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Personal Response:
I read the book Red Kayak by Priscilla Cummings. I thought the book was very good. I liked the book, because it was about a guy who liked the outdoors. It also kept me wanting to read the book, because it was relatable to me.

Plot:
Mrs. DiAngelos and her son, Ben, headed out, but they did not know what lied ahead of them. Ben was a four year old boy who drowned. Brady ,who found Ben, was very heartbroken, and it was hard for him to overcome from Ben dieing. He started working
Braxton Schieler
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic book. Priscilla Cummings takes an eighth grade boy, a character that the world would almost never look up to, and makes him an incredibly relatable and loveable human being, which in it of itself takes tremendous skill. Her writing is simple, the story is simple, yet it explores deep human themes. This book is definitely a 4.5, 4.75 star book, a one of a kind, and left with a powerful moral. Excellent story.
Libby May
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I did not enjoy this book. It was hard to follow, the plot was thick, but the ending was not satisfactory. Plus I had an issue with the printing, the book I got had the middle reprinted instead of the end, so I had to get a new printing in order to finish the book.

Anyway. That's all. Some of the language was unnessacary, as well.

That's my review. :)
Dylan Encarnacion
I hink the red kayak was an AMAZING book it was so thrilling and had me on the edge of my seat at times.There were even times when i was not reading the book ... i was still thinking about it . the way priscilla cummings wrote this mystery novel made me chill with the way i could just see things i was reading ..SHe did an amazing job writing this book and i would definatly recommend to a friend.
Best Fishing Kayak 1 3 Aug 29, 2018 01:45AM
1st Discussion 10 6 Apr 18, 2017 07:50AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Childrens book- boy drilled holes in a canoe resulting in a neighbor boy drowning [s] 4 51 Sep 22, 2014 09:18AM
How good is this book? 2 10 Oct 27, 2013 08:37PM

• The Broken Blade (Pierre La Page #1)
  • Soldiers Heart
  • Soldier's Heart: Being the Story of the Enlistment and Due Service of the Boy Charley Goddard in the First Minnesota Volunteers
  • Touching Spirit Bear
  • Becoming Naomi León
  • Smile
  • Hoot
  • A Night Divided
  • Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #2)
  • Wintering (Pierre La Page #2)
  • Freak the Mighty (Freak The Mighty, #1)
  • Wonder

Red Kayak (3 books)
  • The Journey Back
  • Cheating for the Chicken Man
“My dad says stop thinking that way. “You be lookin’ backward all the time, Brady, you’re gonna have one heck of a crook in the neck.” He smiles when he says that. But I know what he means deep down, and it’s not funny. You can’t keep dwelling on the past when you can’t undo it. You can’t make it happen any different than it did.” 7 likes