Start by marking “Llama Llama Red Pajama” as Want to Read:
Llama Llama Red Pajama

Llama Llama Red Pajama

(Llama Llama)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  40,370 ratings  ·  1,418 reviews
Llama, Llama red pajama waiting, waiting for his mama. Mama isn’t coming yet. Baby Llama starts to fret. In this infectious rhyming read-aloud, Baby Llama turns bedtime into an all-out llama drama! Tucked into bed by his mama, Baby Llama immediately starts worrying when she goes downstairs, and his soft whimpers turn to hollers when she doesn’t come right back. But just in ...more
Published May 5th 2005 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Llama Llama Red Pajama, please sign up.

·  40,370 ratings  ·  1,418 reviews

Start your review of Llama Llama Red Pajama
Jonathan
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oscar-s-faves
RIP. Deeply saddened to hear of Anna's death today after a year-long struggle with cancer. I loved reading her books to my son, and he loved them too. These stories, and her wonderful illustrations, will always mean a lot to me. They are perfect reading material to share with your little ones.
Archit Ojha
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sweet little ball of fur it was. Adorable characters - Llama Llama and Mama Llama.

Teaches small readers to have patience with absorbing illustrations.

Suggested for young learners.
Amy Bruestle
I was gifted this book shortly after my daughter was born...
And we love it! The whole Llama Llama series is adorable! We have 3 of the llama llama books so far!
Dawn
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love reading this one aloud to my daughter, Therese! The rhyming is so perfectly cadenced and she always giggles at the scrunched up mad face little llama makes when he is sooooo tired of waiting on his mama. A fun, fun read and good to remind "baby llamas" that mama is always there.
Jeremy
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Llama llama whining still?
Llama llama needs to chill
Lest he's turned into a snack
Or forced to bear a heavy pack.

Watched it here.
 Chele
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
September 3, 2016
**RIP Ms. Dewdney. My children and grandchildren enjoyed your stories.
babyhippoface
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
LOVE llama llama, even when he tries every trick in the book to avoid bedtime. Even more, LOVE Mama Llama when she has had ENOUGH!

Baby Llama’s impatience turns to worry, anger, and fear waiting for Mama Llama to bring a drink of water in this delightful rhyming bedtime tale. Adorable paintings of baby Llama in various stages of distress are a perfect match for the all-too-familiar nighttime scenario; the deep blue hues give the reader a sense of calm in spite of little llama’s escalating “llama
Megan
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This has quickly become one of our favorite books to read. It is so cute and I just love. A bit long for a baby, so sometimes my almost one year old isn't able to sit long enough for the whole thing. I'm going to have buy more Llama Llama books!
Ellenjsmellen
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-lit
Adorable story. This was read to us at storytime at the library. I hear there's a sequel. Going to check that out now.
John Yelverton
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun little children's book, but Mamma should have spanked this little llama.
Rachel
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Even though this is a children's board book, I am including it in my adult shelf. Because I think this book might have saved my bacon.

My two-year-old has not been sleeping well. She fights off sleep at bedtime, asking for "more song" and "mama sleeps too" and "mama sit," and no matter that I do what she asks, she immediately wants the opposite. And heaven help me if I just *leave the room*. But when a different family member takes the point on naptime or bedtime, she lays down quietly and falls
midnightfaerie
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Finally got a copy of this and my kid's loved it. A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Clare
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This review is on behalf of my toddler who has gone back to this book time and time again while we’re under the stay-at-home order. Nothing makes her happier than the little stuffed llama throughout the book and the kisses she gets on her head whenever we read about Mama Llama giving kisses.

Also, I wanted this book on Goodreads because I am counting this book in my 2020 reading challenge under the prompt “Children’s Book.”
Westminster Library
It's bedtime and a little llama is freaking out. Where could mama llama be? Young readers will enjoy the gentle rhythm of the rhymes as well as the illustrations that capture the wide range of emotions. Young ones and parents alike will enjoy the reassuring tone of this book.

Find Llama Llama Red Pajama at the Westminster Public Library!
Amanda Hoffman
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this book! I chose this book because I read this book to my kids. I absolutely love how accurate this book is when it comes to bedtime and kids. Never fails this is how my children behaved at bedtime. I like how its a book of reassurance to kids and they can see it. They can see in the book that mama sometimes is doing other things, it doesn't mean she is gone.
Michael
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The llama drama for the mama llama is enough to soil the red pajama, but in the end baby llama learns to keep everything shama-llama with the ding-dong.

"Baby llama don't cause such a tizzy, sometimes mama llama's busy!"

Gets better with every read.
GinaRose Cristello
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lorenzo-s
"anh anh ANH" that is lorenzo pointing at the books in the stack beside his chair until I am touching Llama Llama.

then we read to the page where mama runs upstairs... and he makes me start over, and over, and over signing "more!". best.story.ever!
Jessica Smith
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book. I like that it can be sung to a tune. Deep characters. That Momma sure is something! ; )
Kyra
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oddly enough, I did not view a video containing the entirety of the text of the book being read aloud and some of the pictures being shown for any reason having to do with my brother's imminent baby.

That said, it's probably a lot more enjoyable when you do have a small child around to experience it with you!
Neil
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My youngest child loves this book. Can't get enough of it. It's fun to read with a 1-year old.
Kathy
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
We all love Llsma llama
Meg
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, playtime
Rapped this one along with Ludacris for my playtime. I'm not a huge fan of all the books in this series, but the original does make for a good rap!
Catherine Woodman
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the cadence that this is read at and the message of patient for toddler's to master. The Washington post recently did a list of books to read each year between 1 and 100 and this was the 2 year old installment (the Hungry Caterpillar is for one year olds and Where the Wild Things Are is for three year olds, in case you are wondering). Highly recommended.
Villain E
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I don't get why this is so loved. Baby llama has separation anxiety at bed time and has a tantrum. Mama llama reassures him that she'll always be there. The end. Anyone with kids knows that one reassurance won't change behaviour. And, if your kids don't already have separation anxiety at bedtime, DON'T READ THIS TO THEM! Baby llama's anxiety is illustrated dramatically and will definitely put the idea in their heads.
Delia
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was one of my first favorites when I started working at a daycare. The infants and toddlers loved hearing this story over and over again and again. I think what they children loved most was the expressions illustrated in the story. You can see the many emotions little Llama and Mama Llama feel such as worry, anger, impatience and contentment. While reading this book aloud I love to emphasis those emotions. The rhyming in this story make it a fun and catchy read a loud.
Amara
I didn't read this, exactly. And even though I labelled this in my shelf of audiobooks, I didn't exactly listen to the audiobook either. But! I did listen to Ludacris rap it, sooooo that counts, right?

Update: I actually read the physical copy. And listened to like...5 other rappers "read" it.
Christina
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Every time I read this book I hear the Ludacris version in my head - he killed it! 🙌
Chinook
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Kait loves this. We read it as pink pajamas because she happens to have some pink pjs with llamas on them. And of course, when I read it I hear the rapped version in my head each time.
Moira Burke
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such expressive paintings and perfect rhyming meter. Bonus points for having the phrase “please stop all this llama drama.”
SaraLaLa
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
My husband, daughter, and I all love the Llama Llama books, but my husband and I refuse to read this to our 2.5 year old. Our daughter just happened to be going through some sort of sleep regression when we took this book out of the library. She would wake up and start yelling/screaming for us to come get her out of the crib just because she was awake. Not scared, not in need of a diaper change, just awake and wanting to play. In the story, Llama Llama pretty much has a temper tantrum when his m ...more

• No, David!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • Giraffes Can't Dance
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • The Rainbow Fish
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)
  • Max and the Tag-Along Moon
  • I Am a Rainbow
  • The Kissing Hand
  • Good Night, Gorilla
  • Go, Dog. Go!
  • The Pout-Pout Fish

Llama Llama (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Llama Llama Mad at Mama