Start by marking “Game of Stars (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #2)” as Want to Read:
Game of Stars (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #2)

Game of Stars

(Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond #2)

When the Demon Queen shows up in her bedroom, smelling of acid and surrounded by evil-looking bees, twelve-year-old Kiranmala is uninterested. After all, it's been four months since she last heard from her friends in the Kingdom Beyond, the alternate dimension where she was born as an Indian princess. But after a call to action over an interdimensional television station a ...more
Audio CD, 2 pages
Published February 26th 2019 by Scholastic Audio Books

To ask other readers questions about Game of Stars, please sign up.
Leah Yes they are so beautiful. I love looking at the edgings of the back covers. I think this one was the Rakhoshi Queen
WhiteRaven
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Game of Stars (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #2)
halfirishgrin
So Princess Kiranmala is back!! And she has to save Prince Neel from where he has been kidnapped by the Serpent King by competing in Who Wants To Be A Demonslayer? a new reality TV show in the Kingdom Beyond.

I really enjoyed the first book of this series, The Serpent's Secret, but this book took everything that was great about book one and made it better! The worldbuilding is both fantastic and hilarious, the characters become more complex (and can I just say I am absolutely in love with t
Victor The Reader
Kiranmala’s return to the Kingdom Beyond to rescue her friends puts her back into the struggling spotlight and against a new enemy: game show television. A- (91%/Excellent)
Stephanie
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-fiction
Book One in this series, The Serpent's Secret, was one of my very favorite books in any genre last year, but I think Game of Stars is even better, which is saying a LOT.

This series is filled with so much exuberant, over-the-top, 100% delightful FUN and silliness and true heart, along with really dazzlingly imaginative scenes. In this book, Kiranmala is thrown into a reality TV show in the Kingdom Beyond that's been organized by her evil birth-father, the Serpent King. She's forced to fight again
avaa
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I don't know if it was my insane sleep deprivation or whatever but this book is sO FUNNY PLEASE READ THIS SERIES ...more
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I freaking love this series. Its such a fresh diverse middle grade series! Kiranmala is just so damn smart, caring and adventurous. I adore just how smart she is! She just keeps leadnjnf and tackling each challenge as it comes. I also love incorporating like...a "Survivor" game into a book. Its just so random but fun. ...more
LyraFirefly
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some of the parts were pretty predictable, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It was a good book and I recommend this to everyone I know. If you like books like Aru Shah and Percy Jackson, you will like this.
Annie
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The idea of having a reality TV show in a magical dimension with all kind of mythological creatures is sheer brilliance. Also, hilarious. (Princess Demon Slayer! Lol)
Loved the sub-plot discussions of rakkhoshi not all being evil and how Kiranmala overcomes her prejudice.
And of course any mythology with flying horses is awesome, the end.
Bina
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book 2, such a wild ride! It was super fun, I loved the riddles and all the characters as well, especially the pink Sari resistance skateboarding girls! Excited for book 3!
BookWaffle :3
May 20, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-books
This was a more enjoyable read than the first book! "Game of Stars" was more intense, and Dasgupta gives more time to different characters other than the girl whose point of view we have been following.

Without spoiling anything, "Game of Stars" is a mix-and-match of science and Bengali folktales, with many crazy characters and I LOVE IT! Dasgupta has such a calm, collected and funny way of writing which can hold your attention for a good time!

I am unsure how I am going to rate this, it is bette
Lisa
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful romp through the Cosmos! I really enjoyed this second story of Kiranmala and her adventures. The pace is quick and the action is almost non-stop. There is much nonsense in the book that students seem to enjoy. The creatures of myth and the odd characters really keep readers on their toes. I have students reading these books and they are laughing at antics and thrilled by the action. I can't wait to read the next one!! ...more
Tim
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have never driven an auto rikshaw through a rip in the fabric of space-time created by two giant, hippopotamus-sized birds, I strongly recommend wearing a bike helmet when you do so. And if your rikshaw doesn't have a seat belt, you should probably consider duct-taping yourself to the seat. Because I have never been on such a bumpy, upside-down, mentally and emotionally disturbing ride in my life. And I've been on some doozies.

This story is not as complicated to follow as the first on
Devann
A great sequel to the first book! Kiranmala is such a fun character and it's cool to read a series that has mythology I am not very familiar with [and I also love that the author includes notes on the origins of some of the elements in the story at the back]. This book focuses more heavily on Kiran than the first book, with Lal and Neel taking a definite back seat. But there are plenty of cool new characters to help Kiran out and it looks like Lal and Neel will be more front and center in the ne ...more
Alice

This surpassed the 1st book by quite a bit!
Michelle Leonard
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Princess Kiranmala is back home in plain old New Jersey, trying to readjust to normal middle school life. Just four months ago she was battling her birth father, the Serpent King, in the Kingdom Beyond, the alternative dimension where she was born. When the demon queen shows up at school and tells her she must find her way back to Kingdom Beyond to save Prince Neel from the Serpent King, she has no choice but to join the reality TV show Who Wants to Be a Demon Slayer? and attempt to rescue him.

B
Xiomy's Book Tales
Aug 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Again, I know I'm not the intended audience and I firmly believe that many can relate to Kiranmala and will enjoy this book; unfortunately, for me the sequel fell flat.

I will not deny that in Game of Stars we still have more riddles, an adventure to venture through, and the fascinating continuation of Bengali Indian folklore and mythology.

The core of my problem with this story is the romantic interests being woven into a middle grade because again it is the first one I read that includes such fe
Cara (Wilde Book Garden)
Still a fun series, but I didn't enjoy this one as much as book 1!

For one thing, my favorite character was barely in the book.

I also wasn't wild about the plot--it took a while to get to the main event (the competition), which was then barely in the book in favor of other plot stuff, but then that other plot stuff also didn't seem to matter that much in the end? The story in this one just felt mostly like filler between book 1 and book 3.

Also I feel like the writing and humor was less fun and mo
Julia (Shakespeare and Such)
3.2/5 stars, full review to come! I think this series is so cute but for some reason I felt less invested than I did in the first book. There was just SO MUCH going on that I'm still not sure how some of it tied together. (view spoiler) It seems to me that Kiran doesn't actually do that much problem solving, more like she realizes what's going on a little bit too late and then does her be ...more
Joan
I had a blast reading this book! As I said about the first book, the story doesn’t take itself too seriously, although you can see from the afterword how carefully the author used various Bengali and Hindi myths in this book. Kudos to Dasgupta for being willing to have her character overcome prejudices against the bad guys of mythology, the rakkoshi! She has Kiranmala first disregard and turn away from them, then realize that there can be exceptions to the rule that they must be “bad”! This is b ...more
Erin
Dec 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Demon Queen begins visiting Kiranmala in her dreams. Soon after, Kiranmala learns about a new gameshow competition, Who Wants to Be a Demon Slayer. She learns that Neel has been kidnapped by her father's minions and that Sesha is trying to get the two magical stones that will give him immortality. Kiranmala journeys back to the Kingdom Beyond to try to stop Sesha and rescue Neel. Along the way, she makes some unlikely allies.

This is a fun second book in the series. I loved that Kiranmala had
Kayla
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Kiranmala: Game of Stars was even better than the first book! It was a little corny, with the quirky talking monkeys and rhyming Rakkhosh, but it added to the fun. It reminded me of a scale downed version of the Triwzard tournament but Indian mythology style. The Pink Sari Skateboarders were awesome too.
Teagan B
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I absolutely love this book and can not wait for #3
Melanie
This was such an entertaining sequel! I loved that the book was focused on the demons/monsters' side and I particularly liked the plot of the sequel more than the first one!

It was also a funny book and made me really excited to read the third book!
Gail
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-readers
I read this one aloud to my kids. I liked it and I think I would have liked it even more if I had read it first before reading it aloud (like I did with book 1).
Moriah
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5

It was good! It wasn’t my favorite story, but I liked it and had to keep listening. I’m invested now!
Brit
Apr 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wrs
This book was much better than the first. The author found her groove and the characters were well developed.
Michael Kott
Sep 02, 2019 marked it as indefinite-dnf  ·  review of another edition
With apologies to the author, I am temporarily putting this book aside. The barrage of unfamiliar terms (made up or of another language) makes reading this difficult. I will probably come back to it in the near future. 9/2/19
Shivali Sisodraker
Mar 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It was a very fun read! And a lot of parts made me laugh out loud. It just felt a little too predictable and boring at times. Overall, I really enjoyed it!
Books And  Chocaholic
I am continuing to really enjoy this series and look forward to seeing what happens next. I still love the world, characters, humour and interpersonal relationships. I also love how intelligently written these books are while still being fun and compelling!

Overall I feel this is a really enjoyable and entertaining series for it's target audience and beyond.
Captain123
good good and good
Tammy
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came upon Game of Stars by Sayantani DasGupta after reading the first book, The Serpent’s Secret. The story continues with Kiranmala. This book focuses more heavily on Kiranmala than the first book. There are new characters to help Kiran out. The demon queen shows up in Kiranmala’s bedroom and tells her she must find her way back to Kingdom Beyond to save Prince Neel from the Serpent King and attempt to rescue him. After watching some intergalactic television, Kiranmala sees Lal, who pleads he ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality (Pandava, #5)
  • Paola Santiago and the Forest of Nightmares (Paola Santiago, #2)
  • Aru Shah and the City of Gold (Pandava, #4)
  • Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes (Pandava Quartet, #3)
  • Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • Pahua and the Soul Stealer
  • The Shadow Crosser (The Storm Runner, #3)
  • Tristan Strong Keeps Punching (Tristan Strong #3)
  • Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)
  • Paola Santiago and the River of Tears (Paola Santiago, #1)
  • The Storm Runner (The Storm Runner, #1)
  • Sal and Gabi Fix the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #2)
  • The Dragon Warrior (The Dragon Warrior, #1)
  • City of the Plague God
  • The Fire Keeper (The Storm Runner, #2)
  • The Last Fallen Star (Gifted Clans, #1)
  • Tristan Strong Destroys the World (Tristan Strong, #2)
  • The Fallen Hero (The Dragon Warrior, #2)
See top shelves…

Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond (3 books)
  • The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1)
  • The Chaos Curse (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond #3)