Start by marking “Prom Dates from Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #1)” as Want to Read:
Prom Dates from Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #1)

Prom Dates from Hell

(Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #1)

Maggie Quinn, girl reporter. Honors student, newspaper staffer, yearbook photographer.
Six weeks from graduation and all she wants to do is get out of Avalon High in one piece. A sensible nerd would have kept her head down, done her drive-by photo shoot of the prom, and continued the countdown to Diploma Day. But fate seems to have different plans for Maggie.
High school
Published March 13th 2007 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Prom Dates from Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prom Dates from Hell

Start your review of Prom Dates from Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #1)
KatieBookQueen
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed At: http://queenofteenfiction.blogspot.co...

I can’t even begin to express my love for Prom Dates from Hell. This book is brilliant. That’s all there is to it. I love a book that manages to have the perfect mixture of action, humour and a bit of romance and this one defiantly ticks all those boxes.

Prom Dates from Hell follows senior, Maggie Quinn, as she battles a Demon that begins taking down the popular crowd at her school.

I love Maggie Quinn. She is amazingly hilarious with her sarc
Athena
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teens, bored adults looking to pass an afternoon
For adults a 2.5 rounded up to 3, for the teen audience maybe a 3-4 star book

Maggie Quinn, almost-graduated high school senior and in deep denial about her inherited second sight, ends up in the middle of malicious Weirdness that increasingly Seems To Know Her. The plot revolves around her attempting to figure out what's going on and coming to grips with her own gifts. There's a little bit of stereotypical Irish granny and the Jocks/Cheerleaders tropes were in full form although the author did g
Sesana
Apr 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Formulaic at the core, but the surrounding details are pretty good. Maggie is a fun lead, and I liked that she's much closer to Buffy than Bella, and that she has her own life and interests before the story starts. Less thrilled with the super stereotypical bully jocks and mean girl cheerleaders. Not a fan of the proto-romance between a not-yet-18-year-old high school student and a college guy who's finished his undergrad (so at least 22), but at least it's on a slow burn in this book. Will I re ...more
Elyssa Rubin
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
"Prom Dates From Hell" by Rosemary Clement-Moore, is about a High School Senior, Maggie Quinn, who becomes a demon hunter. After witnessing a supernatural injury of one of her friends during swim class, Maggie concludes that there is a demon on the loose. She then undergoes an investigation at her prom to figure out who created the demon and how to destroy it. I thought that this book was okay. When I first started reading it, I pictured this book to be about prom, considering the title. I would ...more
Patrícia
Um Baile de Finalistas Infernal RATING: 3 stars.

A light, fun supernatural mystery for teens with a sassy and cute heroine. The romance part was not very well done (a trend in the author's books) and the mystery was predictable, but overall, a nice read.

-------------------------------
Portuguese review:

ATENÇÃO: Contém ligeiros SPOILERS.
Peguei neste livro com baixas expectativas, confesso. Pareceu-me que ia ser mais um mistério paranormal insonso e pouco original, com uma heroína igualmente inso
Nasty Lady MJ
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
To read series reread recap click here.

This is such a fun book. Even ten years later. It wasn’t as great as I remembered it though. There were definitely parts of the book that dragged, but I still think out of all the books in the series it was probably the best.

Which I guess is sort of downer since there are two other books, but to be fair those books aren’t bad. This one just is the best one out of the bunch.

I think what I like the best about it is Maggie’s sass. It’s in the other books to so
Troi
I love a good supernatural book, especially when the main character also has some supernatural abilities to back her up. This book was no exception.

I was a little bit turned off by the title. It sounded so childish and reminded me of a book I tried reading recently that turned out to be a huge waste of my time. So, I skipped over it every time I saw it, thinking that I wasn't missing out on much.

The reason I finally decided to just give it a try was because I realized that the author, Rosemary C
Apr 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
I, surprisingly, quite enjoyed this book. It was light, fun, and funny. It's a kind of chick-lit with Demons from Hell and a clairvoyant, snarky Nancy Drew.

It's not the greatest book ever, and has the standard fare of a likable, normal (well, with ESP) protagonist and the intentionally extreme caricature of jocks and cheerleaders, as well as two gorgeous boys and a romance that satisfy its target audience. However, I do like the fact that the heroine is a good mix of self-confidence and self-do
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, hilarious
Excerpt: Dad and I had seen the same action movies, so he got into place, all very Lethal Weapon. I mouthed, “One, two,three!” and he yanked open the door so hard it banged into the wall, showering plaster onto the carpet. The crash startled me, and I flung my barrage of salt into the bathroom with a stifled squeak.(...)

“I’m getting too old for this shit,” said Dad, making me laugh, mostly with relief. He examined the big hole the doorknob had made in the wall. “Your mom is going to kill us.”

Thi

Trina Knittle
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This isn't typically my sort of book that I enjoy reading. but I decided to give it a shot. By the end of it I found myself liking it and happy to have read it. it is a great book to read when your in the middle of midterms and want a few laughs from a book. I enjoyed the characters. The suspense in this book was just enough. I will say it was a hard book to put down. I can definitely see myself reading the next book in the future if there is one.
Richard Cardenas
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
a fun, hilarious, spooky, read. :)
Ellie
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 out of 5 Stars
Juniper Shore
Prom Dates from Hell started out well. Our heroine, Magdalena, is a snarky-but-spunky reporter for the school newspaper. She loathes the popular crowd and everything associated with it, especially prom. Unfortunately for her, she has been cursed with ESP, and when someone starts picking off the school's upper crust, she feels she has to intervene.

Weirdly, the book is a sort of police procedural built around supernatural forces. Maggie and her partner, Justin, plod towards figuring out the villai
Bethany Ashlyn
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
My high school self wanted to give this five stars, but my adult self understands this might be a three-star without my bias. Therefore, I'm settling with four stars.

First, I want to acknowledge that this book does have faults. I see why people gave it low scores. The romance is so/so, the story isn't anything unique, and it is heavy in typical high school stereotypes.

However, I love this story, even with all the faults. It was a fun read when I first read it in high school, and it still was ent
Raven R. (AvalonReadsBooks)
Maggie Quinn is a girl after my own heart.

Painfully awkward, the nerd, English major, and aggressively clueless in the way the real world, and the demon world works. Which is problematic cause she's dealing with both.

The write is passable, the mystery was not that hard to crack, the twist at the end with the best friend, would have been a wonderful twist had the author not overshadowed so heavily that I got it the second it was hinted.

Other then that it was a cute read, Maggie was a snarky, s
Jaymie
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a sassy, quirky story, and this definitely qualified! I loved the main character and her friendships with some of the secondary characters. There was a nice twist to this that I enjoyed, too. The story got violent and creepy towards the end - in keeping with the plot - but it was a step or two too far over the horror line for me. I don't know that I will read the rest of the books in the series, but for those who enjoy horror (and this is on the tame side of that genre), be sure to check ...more
Elizabeth Sullivan
A good, quick supernatural read. The characters were well written and the mystery was fairly intriguing, if not a bit predictable. I didn't mind the romance in it as much as I usually mind romance in my books, which is saying quite a bit.
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

Super fun read, witty and sarcastic - I would have loved it even more in high school. Probably going to read the next two.
Catherine Kos
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
A little slow but a good story about a fun and sarcastic girl.
Kirsten
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lot more deeper then you would think for a book called prom dates from hell. Overall just a fun read
Jade
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun, light read with some light humor.
Karla
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining, a great sense of humour, and well written. Plenty to keep the reader entranced. Really enjoyed it, and looking forward to the next in the series.
Shel
Mar 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Clement-Moore, R. (2007). Prom Dates from Hell. New York: Delacorte Press.

308 pages.

Three pages into Prom Dates from Hell I knew I was going to love it. (Talk about a bias!) I loved the sarcastic, smart voice of Maggie Quinn right away. She reminded me of a hybrid of Veronica Mars and Buffy Summers.

...But I guess with dark hair.

Appetizer: After stopping an incident of bullying in the halls, the three most popular girls in the senior grade (all named Jessica) take notice of Maggie and start to m
Laura Martinelli
Excusing my fansquee over Texas Gothic earlier this month, I love most of Rosemary Clement-Moore’s books. They’re funny, snarky, and manages to whip up a good plot.

Prom Dates… is a great little read. I said in the aforementioned review that Amy Goodnight could be cousins with Maggie Quinn, insofar of the fact that they’re both snarky psychics who like to get their Nancy Drew on. While it should be a cliché that Maggie’s defenses for dealing with the banality that is high school. But it’s a refr
Wendy Cantu

I’m blaming being sick for this being the most inarticulate review ever, so if you want to save yourself some time, just know that THIS IS AN AWESOME SERIES. Gushy gushy awesome. I love it. I smiled. I laughed. I cheered. I snorted. I “ohmygawd”ed. Rosemary Clement-Moore is awesome. Read this series.

Now onto the only slightly more articulate review:

After reading all three books in Rosemary Clement-Moore’s Maggie Quinn: Girl vs. Evil series (Prom Dates From Hell, Hell Week, and Highway To He
Steph Su
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
High school senior and aspiring journalist Maggie Quinn just wants to survive the last few weeks of high school without getting sucked into the prom madness. However, there’s more on her plate to worry about when strange and horrible things begin to happen to her grade’s “elite crowd,” lovingly called the Jocks and the Jessicas by Maggie. These boys and girls suffer accidents or lose what is most important to them, and Maggie, with the help of her friends, reluctantly admits that something sinis ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

Maggie Quinn is just weeks from graduating and getting away from Avalon High. But as the end of her high school years gets closer, Maggie gets warped into the wrath that is Prom. This only happens because Maggie had to protect the school outcast, Stanley, who was being picked on by the prime jocks and their girlfriends, the Jessicas. Maggie stops this by taking photos of the action, since she is the yearbook photographer, and t
Cid Tyer
Jun 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-books
I had to order the first two books in the Maggie Quinn series, which was a bummer since the author is uber cool and local. So, please request this book at your local store. Come on, look at the cover! It’s just cool!

The Setting — is a small college town. I don’t think it ever says where it is. Or if it did I don’t remember. Maggie is in high school so a lot of the story takes place between her school and home. I think that a lot of the feel for the book comes through how Rosemary says things. Yo
K. Lincoln
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having only read "Spirit and Dust" (aimed towards slightly older YA) I looked up Clement-Moore's other books and decided to give this slightly "younger" story of a high school journalist's prom from hell (literally) a go.

Such delicious, acerbic wise-crackery, it's almost too much.

Maggie Quinn happens to photograph the Jocks and Jessicas terrorizing a nerd one day on the high school 2nd floor breezeway. All of a sudden, strange things begin to happen to the people around Maggie, and she can no lo
Kavanand (Reading for Two)
Maggie Quinn is an aspiring photojournalist, who stumbles upon an evil demon plot in her high school. She attempts to solve the mystery with the help of her awesome grandmother, a jock who's stepping outside his clique, and a very cute college student.

The plot isn't terribly original, but beyond that, there's a lot to like about this book. For starters, it's really funny, something that's lacking in most YA paranormal novels (the sturm und drang of tortured romance doesn't really lend itself to
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Killer Instinct (The Naturals, #2)
  • One for Sorrow
  • Chiefs (Will Lee, #1)
  • Hot Mahogany (Stone Barrington, #15)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • Old Black Magic (Spenser, #46)
  • Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)
  • The Broken Places (Quinn Colson, #3)
  • Winter Counts
  • The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #6)
  • Death of a Russian Doll (Vintage Toyshop Mystery, #3)
  • Dirty Work (Gulliver Dowd, #1)
  • Mr. Darcy's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #1)
  • The Last Little Blue Envelope (Little Blue Envelope, #2)
  • Kindred (The Kindred, #1)
  • Mr. Darcy, Vampyre

Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil (3 books)
  • Hell Week (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #2)
  • Highway to Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #3)