Start by marking “This Place: 150 Years Retold” as Want to Read:
This Place: 150 Years Retold

This Place: 150 Years Retold

Explore the last 150 years through the eyes of Indigenous creators in the graphic novel anthology, This Place: 150 Years Retold. Beautifully illustrated, these stories are an emotional and enlightening journey through magic realism, serial killings, psychic battles, and time travel. See how Indigenous peoples have survived a post-apocalyptic world since Contact.

This is one
Published April 30th 2019 by HighWater Press

Start your review of This Place: 150 Years Retold
Jane
This Place: 150 Years Retold is fantastic! This anthology of 10 powerful stories told by different Indigenous authors shows a range of talent and different art styles. Not all of the art appeals to me, but the writing is all very strong and it is fascinating to learn some lesser-known stories that, well, really shouldn't be so obscure.

I'd love to see copies of this in classrooms across Canada. The graphic nature of this book makes the material highly approachable and easy to absorb. I love that
Dani
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I knew from the first page. I knew because upon seeing the lush illustrations I gasped and as I read I realized I was experiencing something truly special. This Place: 150 Years Retold is a graphic novel anthology with ten stories written by eleven Indigenous contributors as well as a powerful foreword written by Haudenosaunee author Alicia Elliott.

Not only are we visually absorbing breathtaking illustrations but we are absorbing important stories of powerful Indigenous individuals across vario
Faith Simon
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh my god ya'll, I had better see this on absolutely everybody's TBR.
This is amazing, this is important, and this is wonderfully encapturing. From the many different art styles, I got to experience, to the rich story-telling from different authors, reading this was an experience I've never encountered before.
This book is so important, to have been written and to be read in turn. We are coming to see a lot more diversity in fiction, such as a lot more books written by authors of colour about ma
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Holy shit.

This took me on a mind-bender and flipped a lot of my thinking around. I don't know if I'll look at another dystopian the same way, particularly with the fascination of the end of society on a continent that has already experienced it with its indigenous peoples.

I loved the breadth and scope of the cultures represented in this graphic anthology, and all of the history represented. It was heartbreaking and hopeful, from peoples who have experienced colonialism and genocide at the hands
In all the hoopla about Canada's sesquicentennial, where were the indigenous peoples? Where was their celebration? Was there even a celebration, since as this book points out, in story after story, Canada has done everything in its power to make sure the native peoples are corralled, stripped of their tradition, their language, their land, every change they got.

Each contributor to this volume draws on stories of the Metis, Inuit, and First Nations, that happened in the last 150 years. And Chelse
B. P. Rinehart
"...We...are awakening to see the truth of the system of genocide that has been imposed on us, and we will not go back to sleep." - Frank T'Seleie

This may be one of the best "books I read because of the cover." This is a comic book anthology that covers 150 years of the Indigenous People in Canada which covers the First Nations, Inuits, and Métis (the French-Canadian version of Mestizos). Growing-up here in the United States it was a struggle to learn about Indigenous people in this land, but I
Rod Brown
May 05, 2020 rated it liked it
This anthology of nonfiction, dramatized, and science fiction stories about and by the indigenous people of Canada is pretty consistently good. Skipping around to so many pinpoints in history piques the interest more than sates though. The subject matter is pretty heavy since so much of the history involves abuse and betrayals, so be prepared to be depressed, shocked, and/or outraged.
Maxine
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The graphic novel, This Place: 150 Years Retold, showcases the voices of eleven Indigenous writers as well as several Indigenous artists. It is a powerful telling of 150 years of Canadian history from the perspective of different First Nations members, Inuit, and Metis, voices rarely heard in our history which is told mostly from the perspective of European settlers.

As in any anthology, the art is somewhat uneven and varies from black and white to full eye-catching colour. Overall, though, it i
Lauren
▪️THIS PLACE: 150 Years Retold [graphic story anthology by 20+ writers and artist collaborators], 2019 by Highwater Press.
This visually stunning anthology of short graphic works - ranging from the biographical & historical to the innovative & speculative of Indigenous North American storytelling - was both a sensory and creative experience.

I would finish one story and think "that was my favorite one..." Only to think the same thing with the next one! Each story varied in artistic vision and wr
Cortney
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
“That’s exactly what this anthology does. It takes stories our people have been forced to pass on quietly, to whisper behind hands like secrets, and retells them loudly and unapologetically for our people today.”

Once again my library has come through for me. I asked them to purchase this beautiful graphic anthology of Canadian Indigenous stories and they did. The artwork included in this collection really brings these stories to life.
Tobey
Dec 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I must preface this with a little something about graphic novels. I don't read them often and I'm not sure why, especially since I grew up with comic books. I was a huge Archie fan, I was even published in an issue when I was knee high to a grasshopper. Sure, I know they are not the same things but one evolved from the other somewhat.

This Place which I've seen around my library a lot, is a beautifully illustrated novel told in short stories. It tells of the history of Canada's Indigenous People
Cynthia
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This Place: 150 Years Retold is aesthetic, monumental, essential, wise, infuriating, poignant and powerful. Some stories were easy to comprehend, others were difficult to follow. The only subjects familiar to me were residential schools and the DAPL pipeline. My favorite story was Like a Razor Slash. The illustrations are varied and all quite extraordinary. I was particularly drawn to the artwork with unusual color choices in Tilted Ground, Rosie and kitaskînaw 2350.

My dad was Canadian, from Sas
ElphaReads
This collection of graphic short stories by Indigenous authors in Canada was an awesome read. THIS PLACE: 150 YEARS RETOLD strives to give voice to Indigenous people throughout parts of Canada's history after Western Imperialism/Colonization. The stories range from history to biographical to mythology and Sci Fi, and they were a wide array of well done tales. As someone who is unfamiliar with Canadian history, I really appreciated that each story had a bit of background and a timeline that the s ...more
Carolyn Klassen

This book is such a cool concept! A collection of graphic short stories. This Place: 150 Years Retold features stories by Kateri Akiwenzie-Damm, Katherena Vermette, Richard Van Camp, and other star-studded names. And a forward from Alicia Elliott that was *brilliant* and set the tone. I enjoyed all of the stories, super rare for me when I'm dealing with different authors. It is a high 4.5 stars, maybe a 5. I'm ruminating on it still! This theme stuck with me: it has been post-apocalypti
Kelsey Brennan
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"It seems to me that the whole point in living is to become as human as possible. To learn to understand the world and to live in it. To be part of it."

Full of beautiful art, wonderful storytelling, and meaningful history (from 1867 to 2018), This Place is a must-read for anyone who was let down by the Canadian educational system in terms of their knowledge of Indigenous history.

My particular favourites were:

- Like a Razor Slash by Richard Van Camp, with illustrations by Scott B. Henderson and
Anna (lion_reads)
Fantastic! An immediate must-read for anyone living in North America.

The short stories in this collection are a reclaiming of Canada's history, injecting a healthy dose of the Indigenous perspective into 150 years since Canada's confederation. Each story is preceded by an introduction from the author a short timeline of the relevant time period. The introductions set the stage for the story—often explaining in a touching way why the author chose a specific event to portray, or about the author'
Elizabeth
This Place: 150 Years Retold, edited by Alicia Elliott, is everything we need from history and everything we need from comics right now.

This variety of perspectives of Indigenous history in what we know as Canada is incredibly necessary. It makes me realise how woefully lacking my knowledge in that area is, but I'm so glad that there are comics like this collection to introduce us all to these incredible stories. We could all do with a better understanding of Indigenous history and this is a gr
Steph Myers
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stories that most us don’t know, because they have been handed down orally over generations. I’m new to Northern MN and trying to learn what I can about the northern tribes and the tangled history of their peoples and lands. Granted, the focus here is Canadian tribes, it is still relevant and fills a void. Each story has a timeline of events that breaks down what happened when, which I appreciate. The stories show small, but meaningful wins that are otherwise overshadowed by the more we known hi ...more
Megan
This fantastic graphic novel anthology tells stories about famous people and important events in the history of the Indigenous peoples of North America, focused on what is now called Canada.

Being from the USA, I’ve always assumed things were better in Canada, but they were not. I learned a lot of Canadian history, was introduced to Indigenous heroes I wish I’d known about sooner, was heartbroken over children being taken from their families to be “assimilated,” enraged at the racism, lack of re
Victoria R.
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This Place: 150 Years Retold, is collection of forewords and short comics recounting some key persecutions and oppressions experienced by Canadian indigenous peoples. I grew up with little to no education regarding these injustices. My social studies and history classes in school were dominated by white colonial accounts of Canadian history and I wish this novel would have existed for me to read. This novel is a stunning and captivating medium to educate oneself regarding this matter and I recom ...more
Petra
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Wonderfully done. This set of stories shows the resilience, courage and strength of Indigenous People in Canada. Their stories need to be told and continued to be told, explained, explored and taught.

Many of these people and situations were unknown to me. This book shows me that I have a lot to learn about the history and stories of the People who founded our land. I'm looking forward to that personal exploration.

I hope that the Indigenous People everywhere continue to make their voices heard.
Niki
This Place: 150 Years Retold is an incredibly powerful collaboration of many Indigenous authors and artists. I added to my understandings of Canadian history and the injustices that Indigenous peoples have and continue to face. This Place: 150 Years Retold is an important read as an ally. I feel that I will need to reread this stunning graphic novel anthology a number of times to fully grasp its wisdom.
Rebecca Meyrink
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021
150 years of Canadian history in graphic novel form. Each chapter is by a different indigenous author and tell a short historical story. Before each chapter is a timeline that helps ground the story as well as give a larger context for that chapter. This is the history they don’t teach you in the Canadian public school system. Very informative and the graphic novel format makes it very engaging and accessible.
Kim
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic graphic novel anthology with gripping stories of First Nations peoples of Canada. A variety of art styles and stories: a chilling recognition of the sameness of exploitation. Many of the stories are rooted in the 150 years of history mentioned in the subtitle. Many make clear the interrelation of the people, the land, and their legends/spiritual practices. Utterly beautiful and necessary.
CJ
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-favs
This is an absolute must read. Recounting the 150 years of violence and discrimination faced by Indigenous Peoples, perpetrated by the Canadian government and people, each story teaches a small snippet of vital history. The art styles are distinct and incredible, the accounts are powerful and unyielding. Social justice advocates, history buffs, and graphic novel readers alike will appreciate the art and importance of the collection.
Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)

This is an eye opening graphic novel that highlights some of the atrocities that Indigenous people of Canada have endured and are enduring. I liked some comics more than others such as Peggy, Nimkii, Razor Slash, and Warrior Nation. The others were hard to follow. Each comic is prefaced with an introduction and a timeline of historical context.
Elizabeth A
Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2021, kids-ya, stories, graphix
I was so excited about this graphic novel anthology, and was rather disappointed when it didn't meet my expectations. I will say that there is an idea posited in this one that I found mind blowing - for that alone it was worth reading.

My video review: https://youtu.be/caiLPfnhK9k
Ashley Kempkes
Amazing graphic novel. I cannot recommend this highly enough.
rachel ~ trans rights are human rights
EXCELLENT. indigenous and first nations people share their stories, how they should be told. reclaiming their history from the hands of those who have tried so hard to erase natives from history. great art, and i loved the forewords between each story.
Barbara McEwen
4.5 stars - Meant to pace myself but got hooked and couldn't stop reading. Loved the range of stories in the collection and the intoductions and timelines before each story. The illustrations vary but wow such a strong collection. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Surviving the City (Surviving the City, #1)
  • Red River Resistance (A Girl Called Echo, #2)
  • Northwest Resistance
  • Pemmican Wars (A Girl Called Echo)
  • From the Roots Up (Surviving the City, #2)
  • If I Go Missing
  • The American Dream? A Journey on Route 66 Discovering Dinosaur Statues, Muffler Man, and the Perfect Breakfast Burrito: a Graphic Memoir
  • A Match Made in Mehendi
  • Old Souls
  • My Time Among the Whites: Notes from an Unfinished Education
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • For Black Girls Like Me
  • Animal Farm: The Graphic Novel
  • The Skin We're In: A Year of Black Resistance and Power
  • Commute: An Illustrated Memoir of Female Shame
  • The Search For Black Panther (Shuri #1)
  • Bloodlust & Bonnets
  • Love After the End: An Anthology of Two-Spirit and Indigiqueer Speculative Fiction