Start by marking “This Place: 150 Years Retold” as Want to Read:
This Place: 150 Years Retold

This Place: 150 Years Retold

Explore the last 150 years through the eyes of Indigenous creators in the graphic novel anthology, This Place: 150 Years Retold. Beautifully illustrated, these stories are an emotional and enlightening journey through magic realism, serial killings, psychic battles, and time travel. See how Indigenous peoples have survived a post-apocalyptic world since Contact.

This is one
Published April 30th 2019 by HighWater Press

Start your review of This Place: 150 Years Retold
Jane
This Place: 150 Years Retold is fantastic! This anthology of 10 powerful stories told by different Indigenous authors shows a range of talent and different art styles. Not all of the art appeals to me, but the writing is all very strong and it is fascinating to learn some lesser-known stories that, well, really shouldn't be so obscure.

I'd love to see copies of this in classrooms across Canada. The graphic nature of this book makes the material highly approachable and easy to absorb. I love that
Faith Simon
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh my god ya'll, I had better see this on absolutely everybody's TBR.
This is amazing, this is important, and this is wonderfully encapturing. From the many different art styles, I got to experience, to the rich story-telling from different authors, reading this was an experience I've never encountered before.
This book is so important, to have been written and to be read in turn. We are coming to see a lot more diversity in fiction, such as a lot more books written by authors of colour about
In all the hoopla about Canada's sesquicentennial, where were the indigenous peoples? Where was their celebration? Was there even a celebration, since as this book points out, in story after story, Canada has done everything in its power to make sure the native peoples are corralled, stripped of their tradition, their language, their land, every change they got.

Each contributor to this volume draws on stories of the Metis, Inuit, and First Nations, that happened in the last 150 years. And
Maxine
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The graphic novel, This Place: 150 Years Retold, showcases the voices of eleven Indigenous writers as well as several Indigenous artists. It is a powerful telling of 150 years of Canadian history from the perspective of different First Nations members, Inuit, and Metis, voices rarely heard in our history which is told mostly from the perspective of European settlers.

As in any anthology, the art is somewhat uneven and varies from black and white to full eye-catching colour. Overall, though, it
Biblio Curious
An amazing blend of story telling with non-fiction history. A variety of writers came together with visual artists to bring us through a journey of Canada's history from their perspective.

Each story begins with a timeline of events that can help us to dig deeper into the history surrounding these events. From these timelines, we can begin to see why Canada's indigenous people are not able to 'get over it' or 'put the past behind them.' The simplest reason is the past is still here, happening
Anna (lion_reads)
Fantastic! An immediate must-read for anyone living in North America.

The short stories in this collection are a reclaiming of Canada's history, injecting a healthy dose of the Indigenous perspective into 150 years since Canada's confederation. Each story is preceded by an introduction from the author a short timeline of the relevant time period. The introductions set the stage for the story—often explaining in a touching way why the author chose a specific event to portray, or about the
Elizabeth
This Place: 150 Years Retold, edited by Alicia Elliott, is everything we need from history and everything we need from comics right now.

This variety of perspectives of Indigenous history in what we know as Canada is incredibly necessary. It makes me realise how woefully lacking my knowledge in that area is, but I'm so glad that there are comics like this collection to introduce us all to these incredible stories. We could all do with a better understanding of Indigenous history and this is a
Kim
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic graphic novel anthology with gripping stories of First Nations peoples of Canada. A variety of art styles and stories: a chilling recognition of the sameness of exploitation. Many of the stories are rooted in the 150 years of history mentioned in the subtitle. Many make clear the interrelation of the people, the land, and their legends/spiritual practices. Utterly beautiful and necessary.
Cortney
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
“That’s exactly what this anthology does. It takes stories our people have been forced to pass on quietly, to whisper behind hands like secrets, and retells them loudly and unapologetically for our people today.”

Once again my library has come through for me. I asked them to purchase this beautiful graphic anthology of Canadian Indigenous stories and they did. The artwork included in this collection really brings these stories to life.
Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)

This is an eye opening graphic novel that highlights some of the atrocities that Indigenous people of Canada have endured and are enduring. I liked some comics more than others such as Peggy, Nimkii, Razor Slash, and Warrior Nation. The others were hard to follow. Each comic is prefaced with an introduction and a timeline of historical context.
Barbara McEwen
4.5 stars - Meant to pace myself but got hooked and couldn't stop reading. Loved the range of stories in the collection and the intoductions and timelines before each story. The illustrations vary but wow such a strong collection.
Punk
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Indigenous People already live in a post-apocalyptic world, and have since contact.

This graphic novel is an anthology of ten stories about and by the native peoples of Canada and the indignities, injustices, and atrocities they've suffered under the Canadian government and its centuries' long attempts to outlaw their way of life, steal their children, and poison their land. It's not a pleasant read, and all of it was new to me except for the residential schools and the DAPL pipeline.

Each story
Steff Pasciuti
This is the first time I've ever read a graphic novel that is a collection of stories rather than one single tale and it was certainly a rather interesting experience.This Place; 150 Years Retold is a collection of short stories in a graphic format which tell the tales of real people from the past of Canada whose stories have been told by people who do not even share their race or stories that simply may not have been told at all. Indigenous authors Kateri Akiwenzie-Damm, Chelsea Vowel, ...more
Mauri
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A collection of Indigenous/First Nations of Canada stories, told and illustrated by Indigenous writers and artists. The stories are arranged chronologically and each is introduced with a short explanation of the historical background, written by the author, as well as a selected timeline of indigenous related events from the same time period of the story.

Some of the stories are biographical, some illustrate particular moments in history, some particular policies (such as the horrendous history
Autumn
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I was a kid, I loved reading the creation stories & tales of tricksters & spirits from Indigenous & Inuit cultures. The act of storytelling as preservation of one’s culture had me enamoured. I devoured stories of Gitchi Manitou and Sedna, but could not tell you much about Louis Riel - a man executed by hanging in my hometown for leading the Red River Rebellion. And I really only had the vaguest notion of what the Red River Rebellion actually was. The myths and legends seemed ...more
Ben Truong
This Place: 150 Years Retold is an anthology of ten short stories in graphic novel format with a forward written by Alicia Elliot, which is a collection of graphic short stories written about the Indigenous by the Indigenous.

For the most part, I really like most – if not all of these contributions. This Place: 150 Years Retold contains ten graphic short stories, which showcases eleven Indigenous writers, eight illustrators, and two colorists. It present Canadian history over the last
Emily
This graphic anthology is fantastic! Honestly a must-read, especially for white North Americans.

This Place: 150 Years Retold is a look at Canadian history from the perspective of First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples. It is a collection of ten short comics that focus on important events and figures in Indigenous history. There wasn't a weak story out of the bunch, which is almost never the case with anthologies. The comics are in chronological order, and there's a timeline of important dates
Sicily
I received this book as a pdf from NetGalley for an honest review. I loved the concept of short stories collection about Canadian's Indigenous groups, their untold history, struggles, and legends. I enjoyed the educational aspects of the graphic novel. For example, before each story, there is backstory and a timeline. This was helpful for me since I didn't know very much about Canada's indigenous history. I enjoyed the various artwork of each story from the realistic to more experimental.

Cy
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
a pretty good anthology of stories by indigenous creators, exploring canadian history through an indigenous perspective.

i really liked how the anthology was organized--each story starts with a timeline and blurb about when the story takes place in canadian history, and what was happening between indigenous people and colonizers at that time. this was all completely new to me, because i'm from the u.s. and know absolutely nothing about canadian history. at times i felt a little lost--the blurbs
Shannon (That's So Poe)
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
This collection of graphic short stories presents the history of a variety of tribes, people, and events that have shaped the indigenous experience in Canada over the past 150 years. The stories range from nonfiction to historical fiction to mythological historical fiction to science fiction, but each one provides insight into the struggle for survival of indigenous peoples in Canada. It's both enlightening and moving, although there was some unevenness in pacing in a few of the stories. The ...more
Claire Hennighan
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't know a huge amount about Canadian history or the struggles of indigenous people. This graphic novel is an Interesting and thought-provoking read, which fills in some of the holes.

Each story is introduced by a foreword from the author, and a timeline of events surrounding the narrative; these where both fascinating and added to my appreciation of each story. Beautifully drawn, with a different style being used for each story, This Place is a book that all teenagers should read.
Carolyn
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book is such a cool concept! A compendium of collection of graphic short stories. This Place: 150 Years Retold features stories by Kateri Akiwenzie-Damm, Katherena Vermette, Richard Van Camp, and other star-studded names. And a forward from Alicia Elliott that was *brilliant* and set the tone. I enjoyed all of the stories, super rare for me when I'm dealing with different authors. It is a high 4.5 stars, maybe a 5. I'm ruminating on it still! This theme stuck with me: it has been
Anna Bunce
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! So many fantastic stories from Indigenous authors across Canada highlighting Canada's history and future. The stories and teachings in this book will be sticking me for years to come and this might be a book I need to buy a copy of for my personal library.

The idea that resonated with me the most is the idea that Indigenous people are already living in a post apocalypse world and having been living in a post apocalypse since colonization. Powerful stuff.
Kelly K
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2019
Apparently I'm terrible at reading the whole description of books because I didn't realize this pertained to the Indigenous people of Canada. As usual with these anthologies, I really enjoyed some of the stories, I wasn't that into some of the stories, but they all end abruptly.
Michelle
If I could give this book more than 5 stars I would. The collaboration and collection of stories, artist, and authors is amazingly powerful.
Laurann
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The stories are beautiful. I learned a lot about indigenous history. The way the stories weave together but each keep their own style is amazing. LOVED
Savannah
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for all Canadians.
Colinda Clyne
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The history of this land, from Indigenous perspectives, in graphic form. It doesn't get much better than this. One of the best books of the year.
Samantha
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Each story managed to anger me and make me hopeful at the same time. These stories barely scratch the surface, as each story is given an average of 30 pages, but it is a nice introduction to indigenous history and a motivator to find out more.
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of This Place through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This Place: 150 Years Retold is part of a larger Canadian project called the New Chapter Initiative. The goal is to retell history through the eyes of Indigenous people. You know the saying; history is decided by those that won? Well, this is sort of a twist on that. This is history from the perspective of people who normally don’t have the opportunity to share their side of things.
This is an
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Surviving the City (The Debwe Series)
  • Red River Resistance
  • Empire of Wild
  • NDN Coping Mechanisms: Notes from the Field
  • Pemmican Wars (A Girl Called Echo)
  • Moccasin Square Gardens: Short Stories
  • A Mind Spread Out on the Ground
  • An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States for Young People (ReVisioning American History for Young People Book 2)
  • The Crossover
  • Frying Plantain
  • 7 Generations: A Plains Cree Saga
  • Crow Winter
  • The Okay Witch
“But just because stories are unwritten for a time, it doesn’t mean they’ll be unwritten forever. And just because stories don’t get written down, it doesn’t mean they’re ever lost. We carry them in our minds, our hearts, our very bones. We honour them by passing them on, letting them live on in others, too. — foreword by Alicia Elliott” 0 likes
“You want to keep reading comics about justice, or you want to come fight for justice?” 0 likes