Start by marking “The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design

The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design

• Authors are top game designers

• Aspiring game writers and designers must have this complete bible

There are other books about creating video games out there.
Sure, they cover the basics. But The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design goes way beyond the basics. The authors, top game designers, focus on creating games that are an involving, emotional experience fo
Published January 8th 2008 by Lone Eagle (first published January 8th 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design

Start your review of The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design
Jodie
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
So there are some good tips and knowledge in this book. It would be great for people interested in writing for games.
However, it is quite dated. Mostly in its really uncomfortable gendering of developers and players. In some cases it says things that are just wrong about players and the market, even for ten years ago. It also has a strong leaning towards the genre of shooter games and ignores the breadth of game genres. Whilst a book can only cover so much it would have been much stronger if it
Chris Marcatili
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book should really be entitled 'Beginners' Guide to Writing for Games.' There were a lot of chapters explaining the absolute basics of characters and storytelling elements in games. The kind of stuff that anyone with enough passion for writing and/or gaming will probably know already.

By the end I still have no solid understanding of what game writers and designers actually do. This important information - what to do as a writer for games - is mostly glossed over, with way too much focus on
Amanda Farough
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design, geeky, writing
By far, one of the best books I've ever read on writing, let alone writing for games. The templates and action items are enough to keep any aspiring designer busy until they're ready to get started on the collaborative process.

I've read it twice. Cover to cover. Fantastic.
Michael
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: video-games
This book plainly and clearly explains what it takes to write for video games from a business perspective and the actual writing of the game. I found it very helpful.
Kunal Tengase
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a succint and a practical book on the subject with real examples. A great introduction to writing and design in games. It has been a while since the book came out but it is still relevant in 2019. If you can find this at a bargain price, you will not regret it. This is a hidden gem.
Marcie Lacerte
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A decent book outlining the fundamentals of game design and creative writing, but innovative insights were few and far between.
Nikki
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Very useful even if a little dated. The practical writing prompts can help people who want to write(not just video games) to start thinking like the professionals.
Krzysztof
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a pretty useful and insightful book, but lets get one thing out of the way: there's nothing "Ultimate" about it. Taking just around 200 pages, the book focuses on Writing first and foremost, and for writers wanting to get into the video game industry this is clearly a good resource. But Design gets the short end of the stick, to a point where I think the entire guide would benefit from cutting out those parts and focusing on the authors' forte.

The best parts of the book concern the day-t
Anushka Aritri
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-read
Was a pretty solid read for me. As a newbie who was looking for a good comprehensive guide on Game Writing and Design - I got various my time's worth. The honest insight, the rich narrative full of game references, the very useful templates and milestones that the book covers, really is relevant to the aspiring game writer or design that is about to embark into the gaming industry.

The only thing - if I must be nitpicky at all about the reading experience - was that at times the writer went off
Janelle
May 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
I read the first 20 or 30 pages and found them reasonably engaging and informative. The book faced two problems in sustaining my interest, however. The first was that it read very much the same as a million other writing advice books. The second was simply that it is hard to find advice--no matter how good--interesting in the long term unless you are faced with a specific project or problem to which to apply it. At this point in time, I am not. I may return to this book in the future, hopeful wi ...more
Ryan Relyt
May 29, 2014 marked it as to-read
I'm very good with video games and I have a wide imagination so when I grow up I want to be a game designer. So recommend this book for people with great technology experiences, and a great imaginative mind. When I was a little younger I was always told you creative imagination of building or making is unable to do. This is what I say to that if you can think it then it's possible even if it's small like a model.
Adam Vine
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ultimate intro guide to story writing for games. Should be in any upcoming story-teller's arsenal, though, along with the DC Comics guide, Alan Moore's book on writing for comics, and King's "On Writing".
Lucas
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. it gave a lot of food on game design, I am surprised how similar it is to create writing.
Micah
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good view of the process of creating a game -- from the game designer's perspective. Don't expect any code here.
Behnam Riahi
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Due to length, this review can only be found at http://behnamriahi.tumblr.com/post/10.... Thank your for your consideration. ...more
Cortez_jk
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine
I didn't have to read much. I was only assigned to read a few chapters. What I did read I did enjoy. It's a good insight to another genre that I am fairly new to.
Nov 21, 2018
Jun 17, 2010
Andrea Resmini
Mar 13, 2014
Rebekah
rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2019
Nick
May 12, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Slay the Dragon: Writing Great Video Games
  • Blood, Sweat, and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made
  • Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting
  • In a Lonely Place
  • First Contact: A 21st Century Discovery
  • Lanny
  • Dexter: An Omnibus (Dexter, #1-3)
  • I can start your business: Everything you need to know to run your limited company or self employment - for locums, contractors, freelancers and small business
  • Sarum: The Novel of England
  • Into the Woods: A Five Act Journey Into Story
  • The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses
  • Level Up!: The Guide to Great Video Game Design
  • The Beach
  • Brutally Honest
  • Law of Attraction for Amazing Relationships: How to Drastically Improve Your Love Life and Find Ever-Lasting Happiness with the Law of Attraction!
  • My James: The Heartrending Story of James Bulger by His Father
  • Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires
  • Creative Visualization: 33 Guided Visualization Scripts to Create the Life of Your Dreams (Law of Attraction in Action)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »