Start by marking “Bloom” as Want to Read:
Bloom

Bloom

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  6,121 ratings  ·  1,524 reviews
Now that high school is over, Ari is dying to move to the big city with his ultra-hip band—if he can just persuade his dad to let him quit his job at their struggling family bakery. Though he loved working there as a kid, Ari cannot fathom a life wasting away over rising dough and hot ovens. But while interviewing candidates for his replacement, Ari meets Hector, an easygo ...more
Published January 29th 2019 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Bloom, please sign up.
Amy It's inferred. Hector mentions finding his grandma's recipes which are Samoan and describes Ravani as "The most Samoa-y Greek food" he's ever tasted,…moreIt's inferred. Hector mentions finding his grandma's recipes which are Samoan and describes Ravani as "The most Samoa-y Greek food" he's ever tasted, Ari being Greek. (less)

·  6,121 ratings  ·  1,524 reviews

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Julie Zantopoulos
I am such a sucker for soft, queer boys. MY HEART.
Riley
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was so adorable!! if you're looking for two soft boys baking and falling in love, look no further!
Larry H
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know exactly what led me to read Bloom , the wonderful new graphic novel by Kevin Panetta and Savanna Ganucheau, especially considering that I had read exactly one graphic novel before this, and it didn't quite make an impact on me. But something about this story of friendship, love, family, and baking captured my attention, and it has definitely piqued my interest in reading more graphic novels in the future.

Ari's family owns a bakery that has fallen on hard times. They're struggling t
Tucker
I plan on re-reading and re-reviewing this because the below review is absolute sh*t
************
I was having a really crummy day but then I decided to read my ARC of this. It was so fun and easy to read. A great story that took my emotions for a ride.
Thank you to First Second for providing me with an ARC

Bottom Line:
5 Stars: Yuri on Icing 😉
Age Recommendation: 13+ (Occasional swearing, brief kiss)
Cover: 3/5
Plot: 4/5
Characters 5/5

Goodreads | Blog | Twitch Pinterest | Buy | Reddit
Lola
I just want everyone on this planet to read this lovely queer graphic novel. Is that too much to ask?

I have no idea though why this book was published in FEBRUARY because it is 100% a summer read and for a second there, after finishing it, I wondered if the snow outside had perhaps melted.

AS IF.

Regardless, it made me long for summer even more than I already am and that’s quite alright. Summer means no more school, means exams are over, means summer trip if my passport ever arrives. I feel all
Whitney Atkinson

I saw so many glowing reviews for this that I basically harrassed my library into buying a copy, but I'm sad that my lasting impression of it is that is was just kinda average? There were certainly things I loved about it like the character development and the setting at a bakery and the gorgeous art style and how Hector would call Ari out when he was being a baby or manipulative, but I thought the rest of the plot was just kinda typical. Small town, summer, slow burn romance, family dr
C.G. Drews
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just want all the soft queer baking stories of ever. This was such a ME graphic novel, set in a bakery in a quiet seaside town. Ari was a totally rumpled disaster, sensitive and explosive, while Hector was a solid and quiet force who loved baking and giving second chances. They meshed so well together, like the intense cuteness leveless were just 🙌🏻 I also loved how Ari's family was Greek and there was loving family culture in there too.

I did so feel for Ari, with the whole "I wanna do somethi
Carmen
I found this book very frustrating.

Ostensibly this is a romance between two young men (18 or 19?). Although nothing romantic really happens until about two-thirds of the way through the book.

What frustrated me is that Ari, the character who is working in his dad's bakery, is a selfish, self-absorbed, whiny, immature, pouting little brat. And I'm supposed to think Hector falls in love with him!!!!

When they finally kiss, I'm like, "NOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! Don't kiss him, Hector!!!!!!!" And
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-physical
so so so sweet and soft!!!
Len Evans Jr
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first graphic romance novel that I have every read and although it was a bit weird reading it at times I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The artwork for it was outstanding and really added a lot to the read. The story was sweet and totally adorable. Loved it a lot!
Dylan
4.5 stars.

This was ADORABLE, had amazing art, some really well written parts, and I LOVED that it discussed not knowing what you want to do with your life post high school-which is so important as a huge amount of teens have the same inner struggles.

4.5 stars from me though because I needed more of the adorable romance because it only started to take off maybe the last 15% of the book.

Thanks so much to Fierce Reads for sending me an early copy for review!
Romie
that was absolutely adorable! I'm so glad I got to buddy read this with my friend Laura because we were both in a cute mood and it was perfection! I loved how baking is such an important part of this graphic novel, you can see how much it means to both characters and how baking shaped most of their lives. the romance was also adorable, with a little slow burn, from strangers to best friends to lovers. perfect! and the art is absolutely beautiful! (4.25)
•°• gabs •°•
THIS WAS SO GOOD AND SOFT AND CUTE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Hollis
Basically what I'm learning is that no LGBTQ+ graphic novel will ever come close to the soft adorable hilarious brilliance that is CHECK, PLEASE.

I feel like I waited for this hold to pop up f o r e v e r and wow what a disappointment.

Bland characters, shitty characters, perfectly predictable pious characters.. not to mention a lack of direction or cohesion; overall just.. nothing to recommend it. I can't even round up.
Vicky Who Reads
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
so sweet and cute and the art is FREAKING AMAZING

all the baking scenes had me drooooooling
Teal
DNF @ 20%

None of the characters interest me. In fact, most of them seem unnecessarily obnoxious. I don't want to spend time with them.

Plus, it looks like it's going to be all about family drama. Ugh.

Plus plus, it's devoting pages to scenes of food prep, which is a dealbreaker right there. Reading about cooking/baking/food prep is exactly as exciting to me as reading about doing laundry, mopping floors, or cleaning toilets. In other words, holy shit that stuff is boring!

But it's my fault for not
Emma
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute graphic novel with two soft boys who like to bake, what more could I ask for?
Plus it's all in blue tones and it's the nicest thing ever. I'm totally biased because blue is my favourite colour, but who cares?
This story was really sweet. I liked all the baking they did and I'll make sure to check out some of the recipes because it all seemed so goooood.
Ari and Hector were the cutest and I was really glad to see them find their own way and connect with each other.
I highly recommend this gra
Lauren Lanzilotta
4.5 glowing stars

I don’t know who you thought I was but I’m definitely the person sitting in the back of the book store reading graphic novels.

Bloom was unbearably cute; something of a sweet love story involving two boys and a family run bakery.

Wonderful art if the cover doesn’t tell you as much. The use of sololy white and blue hues made for some really eye-pleasing drawings.

As for the story, it was so easy to fall in love with; every character was amazing in a simplistic way. This was a great
tammy
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, 3-star
”be what you love.”

meh it was okay. i already forgot the characters names and it’s been like half an hour, if that says anything.

the tall white guy friend was pissy and acted like a douchebag the entire time.

i appreciated the soft moments between the mcs, but the climax was bleh. they were cute tho.

aha yeet this is my 69th book of 2019 🤪🤝

heartstopper is still the best gay graphic novel, nothing will ever surpass its excellency 🤠

before reading: a gay graphic novel centered around baking??? sign
Acqua
Bloom is a contemporary graphic novel set in a coastal small town. It follows Ari and Hector, two boys - respectively of Greek and Samoan descent - as they work together in the Kyrkos family bakery and fall in love.

It is as adorable as it sounds, but I think that anyone who wants to get into this should also keep in mind that it follows a very insecure (and immature) main character who is dealing with a lot of self-doubt and with a friendship he doesn't realize is toxic, and there's also some mi
Julie Zantopoulos
I got this as an arc and the file was corrupt and unreadable but I was able to get about 65 pages into it and was intrigued enough to purchase a finished copy and I'm glad I did. It was a sweet story about Ari who doesn't want his life to consist of his parent's bakery and Hector who only wants to bake. It's about a boy who wants to be in a band, to get out from under his parent's expectations and a boy who makes him see how wonderful things are right where he is.

I didn't love Hector as a chara
TheYALibrarian
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh, lgbtq
Rating 3 Stars

Pros:
-The art style is cartoony and adorable.
-The monochromatic blue pallete was interesting and worked well.
-The world doesn't deserve Hector he's so pure and wonderful.

Cons:
-Ari is a whiny little brat that I couldn't stand.
-Ari's friends are dicks to Hector and to basically each other.
-Ari throws Hector under the bus more than once.
-Just Ari period. Hector deserves way better.
-Dialogue was all stilted and weird with abbreviations. It was like the author forgot how teenagers talk.
anna (readingpeaches)
Blog | Twitter Instagram | Bloglovin | Reads Rainbow

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Ari is Greek and his parents own a bakery, where he helps out. But his real dream is to finish school and move to Baltimore with his friends to play music. That all changes once he meets Hector, a boy who came to this little town to take care of his late grandma's house. It's not the typical love story you might expect at this point, though, where the power of love
Kyle
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 2.75

I really dug the muted colors— all blends of blue/blue-grays/blue-greens/black & white. Oftentimes, simple coloring is necessary, and it worked well here. The art itself wasn’t overly-detailed, either. I noticed some of the production sketches in the back of the book, and they were full of little details, and I sort of wished we had more of that and not just the vague strokes of the finished product. The story was also more on the simplistic side with your typical Summer ‘
Melissa Veras
2.5 stars. This was not what I was expecting. I was so hyped for this, but I was not ready for Ari to be such a little shit. Hector deserves way better.
Flora ❀
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Cute boys ... in a cute bakery ... during the summer ... what else do you need in life? maybe air but that's it. this is all you need!
anna
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
we love boys who explore tender masculinity and sexualities !!!! ok but wow, reading Bloom was like receiving a warm hug. the artwork w/ the teal color palette was so beautiful. i adored the wide panels of the beach and the boys baking in the bakery... like! my heart! the boys were very well-rounded characters, especially ari. ari is a bit on the angsty side because he's trying to figure out his life; watching him grow into a better person was amazing. hector was just, ugh, the absolute dream bo ...more
Alexa
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Closer to a 3.5 stars. I really loved the art style, and the entire set-up for this story and how it plays out was pretty great. I did wish we had a touch more when it came to the events leading up to the resolution of Ari’s story though, but I definitely have a soft spot for how adorable things were by the last panel.
Sahitya
A solid 3.5.

Very cute story. Lots of baking which made me really hungry. Ari can be clueless but he and Hector together are adorable.
biblioleah
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
★★★★★ | wholesome. fluffy. perfect.

okay, so i loved this. wow. it was just... EXACTLY what i needed to read right now and made me so happy and giggly and reading it was just the best feeling ever and i can’t wait to buy my own copy and reread it as many times as my queer heart desires.

that was a lot of gushing. sorry 😂

one day i might be able to form coherent thoughts about this book and write an in-depth review but to be honest i don’t think it needs one.

just trust me, if you’re looking for so
What We're Reading March 2019 1 5 Feb 14, 2019 06:36PM

• How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom
  • DeadEndia: The Watcher's Test
  • アゲイン!! 1 (Again!!, #1)
  • A Place For Wolves
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
  • O Human Star, Volume One
  • Hold My Hand (One Man Guy, #2)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • ひだまりが聴こえる-幸福論 [Hidamari ga kikoeru - Kōfukuron]
  • Spinning
Kevin Panetta is a Washington, DC based comic book and graphic novel writer. He has written licensed children's comics from Boom! Studios. His first creator-owned series, Zodiac Starforce, debuted from Dark Horse Comics in August 2015.
“What was that for?"
"Nothing. You're just cute and I love you.”
1 likes