Start by marking “Absolute Zero: Being the Second Part of the Bagthorpe Saga” as Want to Read:
Absolute Zero: Being the Second Part of the Bagthorpe Saga

Absolute Zero: Being the Second Part of the Bagthorpe Saga

(The Bagthorpe Saga #2)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  260 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The whole Bagthorpe family, with the exception of Jack, thinks Zero is a worthless dog. Jack spends a lot of time building Zero's confidence to make up for the rest of the family. And soon he's proven right, for while the rest of the family becomes obsessed with entering competitions, Zero becomes the most famous and best-loved mongrel in the country.
Published February 28th 1986 by Puffin (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Absolute Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absolute Zero

Nathalie
This book I read was about when Uncle Parker had won a luxury cruise, the whole family was going competition crazy. Though, Jack and his dog, Zero, were staying out of it. Here are the scenes I liked about this book:

Chapter 2, Page 30:

The house was full of Bagthorpes similarly engaged. Rosie was sucking her pencil over a Slogan for aftershave (made difficult by her uncertainty as to what this product was actually supposed to do). In the end, she settled for 'You may be no saint, but X will make
Nancy
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had forgotten about the Bagthorpe series until I reminded on a librarian's email list. Children's librarians were sharing titles that they wished were back in print. I grabbed up this title at their recommendation and I'm so glad I did. Great British language. Wonderful humor. Wild and crazy characters. I laughed and laughed and laughed. I highly recommend Absolute Zero!
Linnea
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bagthorpes! I love these books. This one's my favorite because they peel all the labels off the canned food and then they have to guess each one by the sound it makes when they shake it (spoiler: they don't guess correctly).
Grillables
Mar 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fiction
Floods! Fire! A plague of competitions! Great stuff. I enjoyed this one a bit more than the first in the Bagthorpe saga, perhaps because it seemed to have increased zaniness. Very funny.
Thorn MotherIssues
I laughed until I cried. Twice!
Alfreda Morrissey
This book was even more funny than the first one. I love the unholy alliance between Daisy and Grandma. It was really hilarious to see more development of their personality. In the first book, I find them to be kind of annoying, but this book brings out the youthful, mischievousness in Grandma and paired with the inexhaustible ideas of Daisy really helped me to connect with these characters.

It is so nice to see Zero finally get recognized for the great dog that he is. I have to admit there was a
Rachael Eyre
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is where the Bagthorpe Saga really gets into its stride, with some outstandingly funny set pieces. It's a sharp critique of consumerism and the fickle world of celebrity, and prefigures reality TV by some thirty years. Indeed, if I had to nominate my favourite instalment in the series, it'd be this or Bagthorpes Unlimited.

Most significantly for fans, it's where the Unholy Alliance between Grandma and Daisy, so key to the humour in later books, is forged.
Rachel
Bought this as I remembered it from childhood - and in fact, this was the book with the 'all the bees are ded" line that made me choke with laughter at twelve. That happened again a few times at twenty-five, although there was the inevitable loss of pathos in the name of humour that I didn't note half my life ago. Very, very clever books for 'children', though, and amazingly well-realised characters. However, Jack as the hero of the piece plays into the boring Everyman trope. Team Uncle Parker!
Edward Davies
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-reads
More excentric fund with the competitive Bagthorpe family, this time entering competitons to better the cruise won by their Uncle Parker. Filled with subplots that might go over the heads of some younger children, this is a well written funfilled extravaganza.
Samantha
I love these so much. I've read the first four all four times each, including aloud to my daughter. it seemed to be a lesser known series in the US, which is too bad. the language is pretty sophisticated and the books are HILARIOUS. the characters are fantastic.
Jessica
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to as an audiobook in the "Kayray Reads to You" podcast as I fell asleep each night. Just as amusing as the first in the series, and, while not a young reader classic, but definitely an enjoyable and worthwhile read/series.
Elevetha
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone
Recommended to Elevetha by: Biblia Fyle
Very good. Humor abounds. Quirky likeable characters. Highly recommended.
Margaret
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have this same version. I really like the illustrations.
Veronica
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This family is so funny. I love them
Susan
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack's dog is fairly ordinary, despite Jack's efforts to train him. When the dog achieves a breakthrough, though, the rest of the family isn't as delighted as Jack had hoped.
MB (What she read)
Re-read 5/16/10.
Penny Jensen
Sep 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For whatever reason, this book was not my kind of humor. I tried to like it, but it went nowhere. Oh well.
Lauren Magee
Aug 14, 2007
Jennifer Heise
Sep 17, 2014
Judith Kalleberg
rated it did not like it
Oct 06, 2017
Crowinator
Feb 06, 2011
Seth
Aug 15, 2007
  • Keep a Lid on It, Pandora! (Myth-O-Mania, #6)
  • The Xanadu Adventure (Vesper Holly #6)
  • Jennings Goes To School
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • The Exiles at Home (The Exiles, #2)
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • Wizard at Work
  • 5 Novels: Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars / Slaves of Spiegel / The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death / The Last Guru / Young Adult Novel
  • Son of Interflux
  • The Ogre Downstairs
  • Spinky Sulks
  • The Adventures of Elizabeth in Rügen
  • Hot-Air Henry
  • The Adrian Mole Diaries (Adrian Mole #1-2)
  • "There Are Rocks in My Socks!" Said the Ox to the Fox
  • Flower Fairies of the Trees
  • Journey to an 800 Number
  • The Cottage at Bantry Bay

The Bagthorpe Saga (10 books)
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • Bagthorpes Unlimited: Being the Third Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #3)
  • Bagthorpes V. the World: Being the Fourth Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #4)
  • Bagthorpes Abroad: Being the Fifth Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #5)
  • Bagthorpes Haunted: Being the 6th Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #6)
  • Bagthorpes Liberated: Being the 7th Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #7)
  • The Bagthorpe Triangle (The Bagthorpe Saga, #8)
  • Bagthorpes Besieged (The Bagthorpe Saga, #9)
  • Bagthorpes Battered (The Bagthorpe Saga #10)