Start by marking “Elixir in Action” as Want to Read:
Elixir in Action

Elixir in Action

The Elixir language blends the battle-tested power and stability of the Erlang virtual machine with an approachable and expressive syntax. Revised and updated for the Elixir 1.7, Elixir in Action, Second Edition teaches you how to apply Elixir to practical problems associated with scalability, fault tolerance, and high availability. Along the way, you'll develop an ...more
Unknown Binding, 2nd Edition, 384 pages
Published January 2019 by Manning Publications (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Elixir in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elixir in Action

Start your review of Elixir in Action
Mark
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Programming Elixir: Functional > Concurrent > Pragmatic > Fun presented different valuable topics --it went more into macros nearing the end, which I appreciated--however, it didn't seem to build knowledge for the reader as well as Elixir in Action. Nearly a third of this book is devoted to managing and scaling an example application in Elixir/OTP. At certain points during Programming Elixir, I felt the need to skim and move forward quickly. This would've been impossible with Elixir in ...more
Sebastian Gebski
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elixir (as a young tech) has a good start in terms of books - PragProg's "Programming Elixir" is decent & "Elixir in Action" is very nice as well (even if we had to wait a bit until it leaves MEAP stage).

Pros:
1.) VERY good introduction to the language & its syntax
2.) VERY good introduction to OTP & gen_server: imho better than the one in "PE"
3.) Great code examples -> readable, concise, but properly set in context of current topic

Cons:
1.) Very little about the practices around
Jan
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very straightforward and gentle introduction to relatively complex ideas like OTP and distributed systems in Elixir. Highly recommended to anyone new to this topic.
Jeffrey
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little dated (e.g. Map usage), but the content here is great. I feel like this is a deeper dive than Programming Elixir but the latter is more up-to-date and more fun to read.
Bjoern Rochel
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
the only book about production grade elixir applications that I've read so far. I'll revisit this one in the future, that's for sure
Alvaro Tejada Galindo
Pretty awesome book on Elixir...I already knew Erlang so it was easier to catch up...but still the books does a pretty good job on explaining things in an easy way...

My first book on Elixir and I'm glad I chose this one to start -:)

Lots of examples and good explanations...totally recommended...and as for Elixir as a language...very interesting and pretty well designed...
Luis
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Juric does an excellent job of structuring the material, starting with language basics and moving into gradually more complex content. His code examples are clear, concise, and easy to follow.

Well done book!
Dana Klymentovska
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it
Informative and easy enogh to follow
Romenig Lima
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excelent book to learn how to deal with Elixir in concurrent, distributed and fault tolerant systems.
Shashank Sharma
Very well written and covers great ground. Highly recommend it !
Vitor Cavalcanti de Albuquerque
This review represents really well what I felt about this book. In a few words: it was worth for every single page.
Philip Sampaio
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitively a must read if you want to learn Elixir and start to build OTP applications. The book is fun, and the examples are easy to understand. The application Saša uses as example is very simple, and it is developed though the most part of the book.

This book has some complex subjects and skip the very basics, so I don't think is for Elixir beginners. For those, I recommend Dave Thomas's Programming Elixir book.
Berislav Babic
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to learn a great new language. Sasa also teaches you about functional programming, and the whole Erlang/OTP history. I would recommend this book to anyone that wants to find out more about the elixir language.
Dominic Wong
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly the book I am looking for. It doesn't waste time telling you how to do really basic things in Elixir and it puts its focus on Elixir's important parts such
as concurrency and distributed system. It helps me a lot to understand why Elixir matters.
Max Claus nunes
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gives a pretty good idea about many important concepts of Erlang and Elixir eco system. And all the presented concepts are a preparation to building distributed fault-tolerant applications with Elixir for production.
Mircea Ŀ
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elixir is going to be what hipsters will use a couple of years down the line. The book is well written, gives you enough to make you curios, but does not even pretend it's an exhaustive treatment of Erlang,OTP or even Elixir itself.
Dimitrios
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, gives powerful insights on how to push your code to production, prepare releases and monitor your applications. I wish the debugging sections was a bit more expanded and maybe a few examples on performing code updates on a running system.
qcam
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to get started with Elixir!
Michael Dubakov
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good intro to Elixir and Erlang platform. Much better then Programming Elixir.
Anantha Kumaran

• Metaprogramming Elixir
  • The Little Elixir & OTP Guidebook
  • Phoenix in Action
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • The Imposter's Handbook (Imposter's Handbook, #1)
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Learn Functional Programming with Elixir: New Foundations for a New World
  • Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code
  • The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride
  • Erlang and OTP in Action
  • Mastering Emacs
  • Let Over Lambda
  • The Art of PostgreSQL
  • Functional Web Development with Elixir, Otp, and Phoenix: Rethink the Modern Web App

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Software developer with many years of experience building server systems, as well as desktop applications, with a special focus on developing backend systems using Elixir and Erlang.