Start by marking “You Can't Go Wrong Doing Right: How a Child of Poverty Rose to the White House and Helped Change the World” as Want to Read:

An unforgettable account of a quietly remarkable life, Robert Brown's memoir takes readers behind the scenes of pivotal moments from the 20th century, where the lessons he learned at his grandmother's knee helped him shape America as we know it today.

Called "a world-class power broker" by the Washington Post, Robert Brown has been a sought-after counselor for an impressi
Published January 15th 2019 by Convergent Books

To ask other readers questions about You Can't Go Wrong Doing Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can't Go Wrong Doing Right

Start your review of You Can't Go Wrong Doing Right: How a Child of Poverty Rose to the White House and Helped Change the World
Heather

My first thought reading this book was, "Why have I never heard of this man?"  My second was, "This is like real-life Forrest Gump."  The man popped up at many of the major events of the 20th century in two countries.

When I finished I had to take a minute to review how this had happened.

He was born in poverty in the south but was able to get an education over time.
He took the police test for research but ended up scoring really high.  He became one of the first black officers in his are
Nancy Sampson
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very unlikely hero. A young black man born into poverty in 1935 in North Carolina, who touched the lives of power brokers here in the United States and in South Africa. He gave advice to Woolworth's during their lunch counter boycotts, he worked for Martin Luther King in Alabama, he worked for Richard Nixon during his first term working to provide funds for minority businesses (and refused to get dirty during his time in Washington!), and he did work in South Africa with Nelson Mandela. During a ...more
Abhishek Kumar
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Touched and inspired by this book. Great 1st person account of soneone who shaped workd events but you probably never heard of him. Incredible read about civil rights era. Set plans do not work. Have some basic principles and march on in life. The book somehow also reminds of famous FG quote- "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get." Sections where he helped organizations navigated difficult racial situations based on his upbringing and good principles make for e ...more
Stacey Bates
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book really brings the Civil Rights movement to life. I was raised in Southern California, and all of those stories of Freedom Riders or people who dared to sit at the "whites only" counter seemed very distant. I recently relocated to North Carolina and have relatives in High Point, so reading the story of Robert Brown, who was raised there, made a huge impact on me. (I'm making plans to visit the old Woolworth's Diner turned Museum in Greensboro soon to see more of this history for myself. ...more
Sheryl Sorrentino
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an inspiring and uplifting memoir—all the more so because the author is probably not someone you've ever heard of. For those of us who still feel awestruck by the unwavering effort and personal sacrifice of 1960s Civil Rights leaders and protesters, this book offers an insider's view from someone who worked tirelessly behind the scenes and avoided the limelight. Many of the passages and stories will bring you to tears. Mr. Brown deserves congratulations for his laudable life's work.
Adele
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a remarkable man! I've finished reading this book during the rioting and looting in towns across America while wondering what Robert Brown's counsel would be to the current Administration. I don't have words right now to say how this book has touched or perhaps even changed me. I am surely glad I have read it.
Carolyn
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I stumbled across it randomly at the library. It was a delightful surprise to read the story of this man who rose above so much. His character shown through it all. And he thanks God and his grandmother. Heart warming!
Chloé Olsen
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
An insightful read into the civil rights era and the incredible work of one behind-the-scenes man. Roberts perspective is sage and refreshing. I loved the message of this memoir.
Kathryn
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hoping they craft a young readers edition of this book - should be mandated reading for all!
Dorothy Alva
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved learning and reading about this man. What a great example and leader.
Carolina Castillo
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amazing story!! Listened to the Audiobook.
Mary
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful memoir by Robert Brown who I had never heard of before.
Robert Rush
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The remarkable life story of one of my mentors. A remarkable first-person account of a man whose shaped world events whom you’ve probably never heard of. You will be touched and inspired.
Jacqueline White
Apr 30, 2020
Jamie Mager
Oct 15, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Walking with Henry: Big Lessons from a Little Donkey on Faith, Friendship, and Finding Your Path
  • Memorial Drive: A Daughter's Memoir
  • Mercy House
  • Dandelion Summer (Blue Sky Hill #4)
  • Living Unafraid: Lessons on Hope from 31 of the Bible's Most Loved Stories
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • Draw the Circle: The 40 Day Prayer Challenge
  • Simon Peter: Flawed but Faithful Disciple
  • A Honeybee Heart Has Five Openings
  • Flash: The Homeless Donkey Who Taught Me about Life, Faith, and Second Chances
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • Faith: The Abyss We All Face (Morgan James Faith)
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • The Advocate
  • Malorie (Bird Box, #2)
  • Sisters in Law: How Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg Went to the Supreme Court and Changed the World
  • The Flight Girls