Start by marking “One False Move (Myron Bolitar #5)” as Want to Read:
One False Move (Myron Bolitar #5)

One False Move (Myron Bolitar #5)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  17,022 Ratings  ·  735 Reviews
She's smart, beautiful, and she doesn't need a man to look after her. But sports agent Myron Bolitar has come into her life -- big time. Now Myron's next move may be his last.

Brenda Slaughter is no damsel in distress. Myron Bolitar is no bodyguard. But Myron has agreed to protect the bright, strong, beautiful basketball star. And he's about to find out if he's man enough t
Mass Market Paperback, 383 pages
Published May 11th 1999 by Dell (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about One False Move, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Heather Mooney
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is somewhat of dark turn for Coben and Myron Bolitar. For a while I was thinking I might go three stars with this because it felt so different and much rawer than I am used to (rawer sounds weird to me, but according to spell check, “more raw” is not correct!). But, towards the end of the book I started to appreciate the more vulnerable and flawed Bolitar.

I am thinking that some of the changes I saw were because this is book five in the series and maybe Coben felt it was time to re-ima
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am steadily working my way through this series and here I am at number 5. Myron remains one of my favourite book characters but Win comes a close second! I loved the banter between them in this book and the way they operate as a team. The ending was very sad and made me want to go straight to number 6 just to find out how our hero copes:)
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Quick thoughts before I write a review after holidays. I love how Myron and Esperanza are best of friends. I love Myron’s honesty. I love Myron’s style of integrity. I love that Win always has his back; and their banter can’t be beaten. I love that Myron is considering all his options regarding Jessica. I love that I am hooked for more.
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before Myron Bolitar was introduced to Brenda Slaughter he said he wasn’t a bodyguard, so wouldn’t take on the job of keeping her safe. But once he saw her, he agreed without a lot of hesitation. A very intelligent young woman, Brenda was a basketball star – Myron represented sports stars in his business, MB SportsReps, so it made sense. No one needed to know of his added role with her. As Myron learned about Brenda’s tragic past, he determined there was more to her problems that it seemed – and ...more
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
One False Move is in my opinion, the best Myron Bolitar entry yet!! Myron and Win just get better and funnier! Parts had me laughing out loud with their funny remarks, and other parts just had me deep in surprise and excitement!

I think the Myron Bolitar series just might be my new favorite murder/mystery series. And of course it makes all the difference that it's written by one of my all time favorite mystery writers, Mr. Harlan Coben!
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One False Move by Harlan Coben is a 1998 publication.

Five books into the Myron Bolitar series, and Coben’s writing really begins to hit a stride!

When Myron is hired to keep an eye on women’s basketball player, Brenda Slaughter, the last thing he ever expected was to find himself dealing with one of the most powerful families in the city, mobsters, and twenty year old secrets.

With Brenda’s freedom, and maybe even her life hanging in the balance, Myron enlists Win to help him find Brenda’s missi
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2016
I did read this book as a response on several people I do follow and have befriended on the Goodreads site reading installments of this Myron Bolitar character.

So this is the one installment in this series that I found first to read in this series. And to be honest the characters had some great dialogue and some of it was quite funny and intelligent, and other stuff left me somewhat baffled which is the case if you jump into a series somewhere in the middle of that series.

The mystery was somewha
Maureen DeLuca
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another FANTASTIC read by Harlan Coben in the Myron Bolitar series.... If you never read this series- pick up book 1 and keep on reading !
3.5 stars- Harlan Coben with Myron has myriads of mirth, quips of humor and far more than usual excelling banter for the genre. He's great at it. And in this one that quality dominants the book, but at the same time with the references to current nuance and tv, media etc. it is also quite dated. Because I read it out of order and this is in an early Myron state of life, I find both he and Win not as layered. They get much more so later in the series. It's a point of insight (that later character ...more
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime

A solid entry into the Harlan Coben/Myron Bolitar series, without ever truly excelling.

I’ve read quite a lot of Harlan Coben’s work now but the last standalone novel I read, “Hold Tight”, just tipped the scales for me and went into the realms of stupidity and a sense of deja vu to some of his other works. I was less than impressed with that book and decided I needed to leave the author alone for some time.

That was a couple of years ago and I felt it was time to read another of his entertai
Joe Stamber
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014, paper-read
If you're considering One False Move as your first Harlan Coben novel then don't bother. I would suggest Tell No One as a good choice. If you're considering One False Move as your first Harlan Coben novel featuring Myron Bolitar then don't bother as it's the fifth in the series.

The rest of you must already have read several books in the Myron Bolitar series. What do you want to know? It's Harlan Coben. It's Myron Bolitar. Imagine how you would expect it to be and that's exactly how it is.

Paul Lyons
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
With One False Move, Harlan Coben crafts yet another fine Myron Bolitar with a wonderful mystery full of nifty twists and turns. Okay, along the way, we already know how one small part of the mystery is going to play out-- still-- Coben manages to keep it fresh and moving forward with his cast of characters.

Myron's wit is probably the best part of these novels. He always has something funny to say in the face of danger-- and sometimes even asks himself, as a person would do, "Why did I say that?
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One False Move is the 5th book in the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben. Sports agent Myron Bolitar is hired to protect Brenda Slaughter, a beautiful basketball star. Her mother disappeared twenty years ago, and now her father is missing too. First the clothes were gone, then the money was gone.

If you're a Bolitar fan, you know that he is more than just a sports agent. And you know he's a sympathetic person who loves to help and save his clients. You should also be familiar with his team: Es
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit of my memorabilia from this session. I liked one of the character's argumentation toward honest animal killing/eating vs. mind-absent non killing (and maybe killing of insects/small animals when plowing... ). Also agreed with the notion that all addicts simply have addictive personalities and the best way to "cure" them is to substitute the harmful habit with the good/less harmful one.
Nancy Ellis
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Coben at his best! He just keeps getting better and better. His clever lines and snide remarks kept me laughing through most of the book, but when it was time to get serious, he practically had me in tears. What a talented author! I love Myron and his buddies!
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the Bolitar series. Coben has created an interesting set of characters. They are not all original or novel for the genre, but the admixture is unique and works well.

This installment was very good. The set up and mystery were well crafted. And we get some character growth and development with Myron, Win, and Esperanza. The ending was even a bit of surprise.

The only thing that bothered me was how dated it felt. It was only published 1998 but it feels like an alien world. Every time one of
Ann-Helene Persson
Ny författare för mig, kommer läsa fler av hans böcker.
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kitap fena değildi.Polisiye türü sevdiğim için okunacak türden ama tabi ilk olarak diğer yazarlara öncelik verip onların kitaplarını bitirip daha sonra Harlen Coben'in kitaplarını okurum diye düşünüyorum.
There used to be a time when I gave every Harlan Coben book I read 5 stars. And when I wasn't completely blown away by it, I toned it down to 4 stars. I've become a bit more sceptical and critical over the years (still not sure whether or not that's a good thing, but alas), so I don't give books 5 stars just because I 'liked' them. 5 stars is the best score you can give a book. There's no topping that. So when you give every single book you 'liked' 5 stars, what does that say about your judgemen ...more
Amanda McGill
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I found that it was hard to get into the 5th novel of the Myron Bolitar series. There wasn't as much sports talk and not even many sporting events that Myron attends.

In One False Move, Myron basically drops everything, including his work, when he is asked to be a bodyguard to rising women's basketball star, Brenda Slaughter. There is a tangle of lies and secrets that are linked to a murder 20 years ago that Myron needs to solve in order to find Brenda's father and keep Brenda safe.

The ending wa
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite from Coben
May 15, 2017 added it
always am pleased with Harlan Coben's books, good read.
Midwest Geek
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Only the most dedicated Myron Bolitar fans.
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
I've enjoyed many of Coben's mysteries, but this one is a bit over the top, more complicated than a never-ending, daytime TV soap. The characters have the depth of a comic book. Although Coben can write well and is often humorous, I think this will be the last of the Myron Bolitar series I will read.
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This early Myron Bolitar has all the requisites. Secondary characters--Win, Mom and Dad, Esperanza, Big Cindy all put in appearances. The mystery this time includes a WNBA basketball player and a missing mother. A decent mystery read.
Aug 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
I picked this audio book up at the library because I am a new fan of Coben's. I didn't realize that this particular book is the fifth installment of the Myron Bolitar series. And I was already several chapters in before I realized it. It didn't seem to matter and it functions fine as a stand-alone novel (the only drawback being that I now know things that have happened in previous books).

I like Myron. His character is drawn pretty well and I laughed out loud several times at his sense of humor.
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coben
This is my second time around with the series, in anticipation of a new Bolitar installment coming out in September this year! There are a few reasons why this is my favourite in the series. It goes to an emotional depth that none of the other books come close to while still maintaining that wit we all love. Win - so faithful, it breaks your heart, Myron - caring and justice seeking that it makes him self sacrificing and Myron's Dad - a man that would give up everything for his son. You see this ...more
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Myron is asked to be a bodyguard for Brenda Slaughter, a rising star professional basketball player whose father played an important role in his life. Problem is, Brenda's not looking to be protected and Myron's not a bodyguard. They forge a wary relationship and when Brenda's father turns up missing, it becomes Myron's mission to figure out what's going on and look out for her interests.

This is the most trying case to date for Myron and he's tested to the limit. He's walked into a real mess wi
Lynn Pribus
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I like Coben's Myron Bolitar books better than some of his others because they are usually less weighted down by bodies, but this one had a goodly number. Not quite as light as some other Bolitars.

For most of the book, the tone is lighter -- more Robert Parker-ish with a wry, sarcastic delivery a la Spenser. This one involves a young black woman who is a top basketball player in a WNBA-like league. To protect her, Myron becomes her agent. But events 20 years earlier and lots of lying by lots of
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite Myron Boltiar book up to its point in the series. The pace is well done and things move quickly, but not so fast that you get lost. No excessive characters to murk up the plot. Also, nice to have things get so personal for Myron. The twists and turns keep coming and ends with one of the best shockers I can recall from a mystery story. All of this and the wit and pop culture references you'd expect from the series. A great read if you're a Coben fan or just looking for a grea ...more
Do you like standalone book OR a series of a character? 7 17 Feb 06, 2015 04:51PM
  • The Forgotten Man (Elvis Cole, #10)
  • Bad Guys (Zack Walker, #2)
  • Stolen (Tavistock Family, #2)
  • Mind Scrambler (John Ceepak Mystery, #5)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • Live Bait (Monkeewrench, #2)
  • Rough Country (Virgil Flowers, #3)
  • Buried (Tom Thorne, #6)
  • Rage (Alex Delaware, #19)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

Myron Bolitar (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar #1)
  • Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar #2)
  • Fade Away (Myron Bolitar #3)
  • Back Spin (Myron Bolitar #4)
  • The Final Detail (Myron Bolitar #6)
  • Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar #7)
  • Promise Me (Myron Bolitar #8)
  • Long Lost  (Myron Bolitar #9)
  • Live Wire (Myron Bolitar #10)
  • Home (Myron Bolitar #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Burnable Book (John Gower, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • The Stockholm Octavo
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Cocoa Beach
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kingdom of Darkness: A Novel (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase series)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Tide (Ty Hauck, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What We Saw
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
“I remember everything about her. The way she looked. The way she smelled. The way she’d come home from her job so tired she could barely put her feet up. I don’t think I’ve talked about her five times in the past twenty years. But I think about her every day. I think about why she gave me up. And I think about why I still miss her.” 1 likes
“They’re politicians,’ Win said. ‘They’d lie and evade if you asked them what they had for breakfast.” 1 likes