Start by marking “You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together” as Want to Read:
You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together

(You Read to Me, I'll Read to You)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  479 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
From New York Times best-selling author and Children's Poet Laureate Mary Ann Hoberman comes a new collection of fresh read-aloud takes on eight favorite fairy tales, including "The Three Bears," "Cinderella," and "Little Red Riding Hood."

Designed with emerging readers in mind, each of the tales is told in short rhyming dialogues--with each character's lines indicated by a
Published May 1st 2004 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about You Read to Me, I'll Read to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Read to Me, I'll Read to You

Matt
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fairy tales come to life when rhymed, especially for the curious Neo. He seems to like this series and we have a few others to tackle later.
Ginget Poulton
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Had fun reading this with Samuel
Dawn Draper
What a creative little book. It will be great for students reading in pairs or a teacher reading with a child. A great way to introduce reading parts, as in a play, as well. The book is set up in "parts" to be read by different readers or one reader using different voices. The "parts" are differentiated by color. Stories include; The Three Bears, Jack and the Beanstalk, Cinderella, Three Billy Goats Gruff and a few more. Each story ends with, "you read to me and i will read to you." which is a f ...more
Betsy
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I have been having a lot of fun reading this book together--short fairy tales arranged as easy-to-read antiphonal poetry. Each person's "part" or column is color coded so the new reader can easily find his/her part. Even one of my twins has been able to read with my daughter. Bonus: the illustrations are cute and nicely varied in ethnicity. I think children will enjoy this more if they have a good background in the usual fairy tales first (Little Red Riding Hood, Princess and the ...more
Whitney
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Norah and I loved reading this together. The fairy tales are rearranged to avoid offending those who believe children should only read stories where everyone is nice and a good role model - but other than that, it's a great book.
Saige Holcomb
May 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Saige Holcomb
Eng 12-1
5-17-17

Personal Response
I thought You Read to Me, I'll Read to You was a very enjoyable and bonding book. The reason I liked the book was because when I read it to my little sister Esthur, there were paragraphs that both of us had to say at the same time. We both joined acting out the story by saying the quotes in a certain way.

Plot
You Read to Me, I'll Read to You is about doing a little twist on several fairy tales. One of the fairy tales was Jack and the Beanstalk. It was
Ali Gunns
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
You Read to Me, I'll Read to You is an an absolutely adorable, short collection of fairy tales. The book is made up of common fairy tales such as, The Three Bears, Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, and many more. The stories are a condensed version of the original story. I think this book would be perfect in a K-2 classroom.

I would use this in my classroom as a reader's theater or as a play. The words are written in different colors so it would be easy to assign different students a role or p
Anna Marie
Very cute two part "plays" on some of the popular fairytales. The pictures are entertaining too.
Carole
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-books-read
Traditional fairy tales briefly retold in verse. Very interesting, funny, and humorously illustrated.
Nicole Scheu
Summary: This book is a collection of traditional literature books of our favorite fairy-tales. The book is set up with two voices, in two colors for yourself and another person to read. This book has traditional reading techniques such as alliteration, rhyme, repetition, and short sentences.

Characteristics that support the genre: These stories are traditional fairy-tales that have been passed down for generations.

Mentor writing traits:
Ideas-Each story has its own theme. Most of the themes sh
Natalie Sabbath
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it
You Read to Me, I’ll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together
Main Characters: All kinds of Fairy Tale Characters
POV: First Person

Summary: “You Read to Me, I’ll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together,” retold by, Mary Ann Hoberman and illustrated by Michael Emberley, is a fun and interactive collection of fairy tales provided in an original way. There are eight different fairy tale accounts retold in “You Read to Me, I’ll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Toget
Allison Moore
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"You Read to Me, I'll Read to Yo: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together" is a great folklore book for all ages! This book takes the reader through 8 fairy tales that have a new twist on them. Each fairy tale is written in two columns and three different colors. These colors represent who will read each small stanza. You can read this in pairs, alone, or all together. The fairy tales are also set in poem form, which allows the text to flow with a rhythm.
This book would be a great way to incorp
April Poulter
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january
I LOVED this book! It has to be read out loud with a partner to get the full effect, but it is truly a fun read! I really like the way it is formatted so that two readers are each assigned a part. The rhyming verses of each story make it easy to read. I really like how Mary Ann Hoberman put the reader in the shoes of the characters and showed different perspectives. I also really like how she made it so that the characters became friends in the end. Besides being a lot of fun, this book teaches ...more
Lindsay
Theme: Poetry reading, twist on fairy tales

The book is set up for two voices (each voice written in either orange or magenta). Eight fimilar fairy tales are told with humorous pictures to go with each tale. The tales all end with a line for both readers, "you read to me, I read to you."

I know this will become an instant favorite in the classroom where the kids will be able to read it with a partner. I am excited to use the poems in guided reading groups as well.

Classroom Connections: Read the p
Jameisha
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
I think this would be a good read aloud book because it is something that can be read together as a class or by a few students in the class. Children would enjoy this book because it is different fairy tales, told in rhyme, that tell stories they know a little bit differently, because the characters tell their story in the conversation they are having with each other. For example, Cinderella is one of the fairy tales in the book. Cinderella talks then her step sisters talk, and it goes back and ...more
Tina
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading Level: Pre-K
Genre: Picture Book, Folklore
Review: This is part of the You Read to Me, I'll Read to You series. Stories are broken up into speaking roles. They are written simply and rhyme throughout. This series has been said to help children read, and I can see that it would be helpful in doing that, as it would allow an adult to help a child work through simple material. The folktales in this book are not traditional, however, and have been changed to be more comedic and relevant for a
Hope
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In poetic context, this book is perfect book for partner reading. I love the fairy tales, The Three Bears, The Princess and the Pea, Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, The Three Little Pigs, The Little Red Hen and the Grain of Wheat, The Three Billy Goats Gruff. Offered from different perspectives, this book is one of my favorites. I love the different colored lines used for the text. Depending on reading levels, I say this book can be used for grades 2nd to 4th. --Love ...more
(NS)Jennifer Reiner
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book has eight fairy tales. The book is laid out so two voices can read-aloud each poem. The placement and different colored text show the different parts. One line is shown in orange, and the other, magenta. Each fairy tale poem ends with the line, "You read to me. I'll read to you." The entire fairy tale is not used in each poem, instead, a selection is chosen and used to retell experiences that will keep the children engaged and reading. Each selection has a happy ending. Each poem is sm ...more
Haily Kokinakis
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january
I love love LOVED this book! I read it with a friend in class and we were having so much fun with it! I think this is perfect to read with your children during story time or even bedtime. The fairytales are short enough but not too short. This would also be great for a child who is still getting a grasp on the whole idea of reading. It allows them to learn and participate in reading time. I really enjoyed this book and will be getting myself a copy for my future class room!
Emily Miller
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This series of books is great for young readers, but also fun for any reader. This poetry book takes fairy tales, condenses them, and adds a fun twist to the traditional tale. There are color coded lines which enable to readers to read back and forth. They would be great for shared reading or even to turn into a short reader's theater in the classroom. I think students would enjoy the idea of reading with someone and taking ownership of certain parts.
Kayleena Nielson
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book because first off I love fairy tales and second off I love reading with people and taking turns. These stories were so cute! With the princess and the pea I loved how it helps the students see the perspectives of both the pea and the princess. The art work was really great too. Not only that, but color coding each person and when they speak together just made it flat out amazing.
Kalee
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was such a fantastic readers theater type book for children! The short renditions of classic fairy tales are really brought to life in a fun and exciting way! Would be great to use in a young children's theater class or at home with your children! They are nice and short and easy to read for young readers. They are also rhyming which could go great into a English lesson and make it fun and exciting for the students!
Kaylee
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theater
I really loved reading this book. It was entertaining, and very engaging. I think it would be awesome to have students read together, because they are able to use their imagination and creativity to make the voices and possibly even set up props. I liked that the fairy tales were slightly modified to add an element of surprise and some humor. The passages are also fun because they rhyme, and you can talk with a rhythm.
Alexis
Nov 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 2nd-4th grade
Shelves: poetry, do-not-own
Abbreviated fairy tales told in a poetic manner. Many of these tales were either told from a different perspective than the original story or went beyond the text. I think it's a great way to expand on folklore and ease kids into some poetry as well. The poems were short and easy to understand. Many of them were told in a conversational manner which is a good way to demonstrate how poetry comes in many different forms. This is a good story to read on many different levels.
Katie Hogge
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
These short scripts were so cute. I really enjoyed reading them allowed with another person, and they actually made me laugh. The "You Read to Me, I'll Read to You" books have such a unique take on different stories children have heard all growing up. I especially loved this one because of the twists on the classic fairy tales. They're stories familiar to children, and they create a fun environment for kids to play and act on.
Mari
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is such a wonderful book. The stories in this book are clever. These stories are what happens after the actual fairytale story. This is a fun read with kids and is easy to act out. I love how you can read with children and add character to the voices in the story. The illustrations are very fun and add to the story. It is not enough to just look at the pictures. It makes you use your imagination. It is a great read and a wonderful theatre book.
Brittany
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I loved this book. It would definitely be fun to read out loud in any setting, but especially in a classroom. I had a lot of fun doing it myself! I would give this book a five out five. The book is colorful, fun, the poems are written in a clever way, and it explores the same childhood tall tales we have been reading in a different light. It was great!
Ruth Ann
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A perfect full participation book for two groups or two readers. The print is in two colors so it is easy to distinguish turns to read. The stories each add a twist to the original version and end with the characters reading to one another. GREAT FUN and a book that will be read again, and again, and again! I think it is even better than the original New York Times bestseller!
Karissa
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 06-theater
I think these dialogue books are awesome! They are great for kids to read together or for parents to read with their children. Children can practice dramatizing their voice while working on fluency. For teachers, they can extend these mini scripts into dialogue performances - possibilities are endless :)
Whitney Summers
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theater
This book was a fun interactive way for children to read. The stories were darling and not like all other fairy tales. I can see this being very popular among kids who are learning to read or trying to get interested in reading because this is something both child and parent can do together or just students can do together.
  • Wolf! Wolf!
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Doo, Creak, Pop-Pop, Moo
  • A Second Is a Hiccup: A Child's Book of Time
  • Barbie: Thumbelina
  • May I Please Have a Cookie?
  • Suki's Kimono
  • Say Hello
  • A Hatful of Seuss: Five Favorite Dr. Seuss Stories: Horton Hears A Who! / If I Ran the Zoo / Sneetches / Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book / Bartholomew and the Oobleck
  • Silent Letters Loud and Clear
  • UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings
  • Goldilocks and Just One Bear
  • Waking Beauty
  • Yours Truly, Goldilocks
Work with her local Connecticut chapter of the Literacy Volunteers of America inspired her to create this series of books to encourage reading. She enjoys reading with her grandchildren.

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You (4 books)
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Stories to Read Together
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Mother Goose Tales to Read Together
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Scary Tales to Read Together