Start by marking “Functional-Light JavaScript: Pragmatic, Balanced FP in JavaScript” as Want to Read:
Functional-Light JavaScript: Pragmatic, Balanced FP in JavaScript

Functional-Light JavaScript: Pragmatic, Balanced FP in JavaScript

Functional-Light JavaScript is a balanced, pragmatic exploration of Functional Programming in JavaScript.

Functional Programming (FP) is an incredibly powerful paradigm for structuring code that yields more robust, verifiable, and readable programs. If you've ever tried to learn FP but struggled with terms like "monad", mathematical concepts like category theory, or symbol
Published November 27th 2017 by GetiPub & Leanpub

To ask other readers questions about Functional-Light JavaScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Functional-Light JavaScript

Arminas Katilius
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the best introduction to FP books. A lot of concepts mentioned in this book are already used in JS quite widely, but here they are analysed and explained in world of functional programming really well. Although I expected more advanced topics, and did not nececesary agreed on all things author mentioned, I still really enjoyed the book. When someone will ask what book yo read to learn about FP, I will definitely recommend this book.
Finlay
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software, javascript
Pragmatic and light-weight, as promised, but I felt the examples were not convincing -- it kind of assumes you already understand and agree with the motivations for writing in a more functional style. YMMV, of course. I got more out of Professor Frisby's guide and videos.

BTW, Loved his "You Don't Know JS" series for Javascript fundamentals, which you should read if you haven't yet.
Lance
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finished it today. I have to admit that the last chapter will take more study for me to really grok it, but it's already been a good book for me; I've applied some techniques like partial application already.

I liked the introduction to Observables; I teach them with Angular Boot Camp, but this was a new approach.
Hynek Vilímek
Andrew Zheng
Mar 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Kyle Simpson is an Open Web Evangelist from Austin, TX, who's passionate about all things JavaScript. He's an author, workshop trainer, tech speaker, and OSS contributor/leader.
“code that you cannot trust is code that you do not understand. The reverse is true also: code that you don’t understand is code you can’t trust.” 0 likes