Start by marking “Functional-Light JavaScript: Pragmatic, Balanced FP in JavaScript” as Want to Read:
Functional-Light JavaScript: Pragmatic, Balanced FP in JavaScript

Functional-Light JavaScript: Pragmatic, Balanced FP in JavaScript

Functional-Light JavaScript is a balanced, pragmatic exploration of Functional Programming in JavaScript.

Functional Programming (FP) is an incredibly powerful paradigm for structuring code that yields more robust, verifiable, and readable programs. If you've ever tried to learn FP but struggled with terms like "monad", mathematical concepts like category theory, or symbo
Published November 27th 2017 by GetiPub & Leanpub

To ask other readers questions about Functional-Light JavaScript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Functional-Light JavaScript

Start your review of Functional-Light JavaScript: Pragmatic, Balanced FP in JavaScript
Divyanshu Maithani
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple and concise introduction to functional programming constructs.
Arminas Katilius
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the best introduction to FP books. A lot of concepts mentioned in this book are already used in JS quite widely, but here they are analysed and explained in world of functional programming really well. Although I expected more advanced topics, and did not nececesary agreed on all things author mentioned, I still really enjoyed the book. When someone will ask what book yo read to learn about FP, I will definitely recommend this book.
Sina Sadrzadeh
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
First few chapters were so practical for me, since this is the first book I read regarding what is functional programming. However, I just skimmed through other sections since they were weird to me at the moment. I believe I have to put it aside and get back to it one more time in the future once I become more familiar with FP.
Dayton Outar
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Why did I buy this book?! Because of Kyle Simpson. I remember reading his entire series on JavaScript called, "You Don't Know JS". It was insightful. I stepped up a notch in my JS programming. So, when I saw this new book by Kyle Simpson, I just went for it.

This book is a thorough treatment of how to arrange functions and their parameters in a style where functions flow into other functions. It's written pretty much like a thesis on how to write fluent programs.

This is not an easy read. The read
Finlay
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software, javascript
Pragmatic and light-weight, as promised, but I felt the examples were not convincing -- it kind of assumes you already understand and agree with the motivations for writing in a more functional style. YMMV, of course. I got more out of Professor Frisby's guide and videos.

BTW, Loved his "You Don't Know JS" series for Javascript fundamentals, which you should read if you haven't yet.
Benjamin
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book fits description exactly; it is one of the best get-your-skills-up introductions to a mode of programming that I've seen.

If you don't love writing Javascript after reading this book, I got nothing for you. It puts the essence of clean, fun coding into the language.
Jon Jones
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this to help my understanding of functional programming concepts in Javascript. Like other Kyle Simpson books, this was very well written and I learnt a lot from it. I definitely recommend this book to al javascript developers.
Henry Cooksley
May 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not a huge fan of the style, and I think you could learn this content better elsewhere.
Sean Smith
An incredibly deep set of functional programming lessons in ES6. Read and re-read to extract all of the lessons.
Lance
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finished it today. I have to admit that the last chapter will take more study for me to really grok it, but it's already been a good book for me; I've applied some techniques like partial application already.

I liked the introduction to Observables; I teach them with Angular Boot Camp, but this was a new approach.
Hynek Vilímek

• RESTful Web Services
  • Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja
  • The First 90 Days: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels
  • Design for Hackers
  • The Complete Guide to Drones: Whatever your budget - Build + Choose + Fly + Photograph
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters
  • Writing That Works
  • Selected Poems 1934-1952, New Revised Edition
  • The Poetry of Robert Frost
  • The Best American Poetry 2005
  • Kaddish and Other Poems

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Kyle Simpson is an Open Web Evangelist from Austin, TX, who's passionate about all things JavaScript. He's an author, workshop trainer, tech speaker, and OSS contributor/leader.

News & Interviews

“code that you cannot trust is code that you do not understand. The reverse is true also: code that you don’t understand is code you can’t trust.” 0 likes