Start by marking “Ms. Marvel, Vol. 9: Teenage Wasteland” as Want to Read:
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 9: Teenage Wasteland

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 9: Teenage Wasteland

(Ms. Marvel (2014-15) (Collected Editions) #9)

Kamala Khan has vanished! But where has she gone, and why? Jersey City still has a need for heroes, and in the wake of Ms. Marvel's disappearance, dozens have begun stepping up to the plate. The city's newest super hero Red Dagger and even ordinary citizens attempt to carry on the brave fight in Kamala's honor. Somehow, Ms. Marvel is nowhere...but also everywhere at once! ...more
Published July 31st 2018 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Ms. Marvel, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ms. Marvel, Vol. 9

Start your review of Ms. Marvel, Vol. 9: Teenage Wasteland
David Schaafsma
“We like to think we choose the people we love. But we don’t, really. Life puts those people in our path. We love them because we’re in it together. Maybe it’s destiny, maybe it’s something else. Whatever it is, it’s something real.”

Kamala Khan is AWOL for the first three issues, so friends Zoe, Nakia, Mike and Gabe try to fill in. This reminded me of a time when Buffy the Vampire Slayer was gone and the Scooby Crew tried to fill her shoes, which kind of makes a good point about superheroes vs.
Chad
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Ms. Marvel's friends try to cover for her as she's completely MIA from the first 3 issues. The Inventor also returns. There's something just missing without Kamala in the book. Eventually she returns but the book instantly turns into poor romance comic with a love triangle instead of focusing on Ms. Marvel fighting bad guys. Nico Leon's art looks like it belongs in an issue of Highlights magazine. I prefer a more traditional Marvel look.
Rincey
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
OH DANG, THE LAST ISSUE IN THIS GAVE ME SOME FEEEEELINGS
Scott
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

I was skeptical at first about Teenage Wasteland. Kamala Khan is noticeably absent for approximately the first half of the volume. Can her well-intentioned friends / Coles classmates pick up the slack?

They can. In fact, I'd say Zoe ("I've been doing Crossfit . . . Prepare to feel the pain of several hundred dollars worth of specialized strength training!") is the M.V.P. here, jumping into action - assisting Red Dagger - on the streets of Jersey City. The Inventor is causing trouble
RG
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I didnt like the start of this. The first few issues deals with The Inventor but majority of it without ms marvel. It just didnt seem to have the same fun as the previous. After Bruno returns it brings the story back to the main arc and begins the reasons for why this series was so much fun to begin with.
Paul E. Morph
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this volume of Ms. Marvel, although I really missed Kamala in the first half. It was adorable watching her friends try to fill in for her in her absence, though. The artwork was consistently great throughout, which is always nice.
Diz
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Surprisingly, Ms. Marvel doesn't show up in the first half of this volume. While she is missing, her high school friends masquerade as Ms. Marvel in order to maintain the illusion that the hero is still protecting Jersey City. The substitute Ms. Marvels are fine, but there's nothing like the real Ms. Marvel.
Kristin
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5

It's telling that the best issues of this trade are the ones without Kamala in them.

The first 3/4s of this volume is Kamala's friends group trying to fill her embiggened shoes and having wacky street-level superhero encounters. As soon as Kamala comes back it's back to bullshit love triangles and half-baked teenage philosphy.

Ms Marvel started out as a friendly neighborhood superhero and slowly turned into an angsty tragedy magnet, like Spider-man before her, and I really hope Wilson manages
Amanie
One of my favorites so far, and just so funny. I appreciate the way that the visiting Wakandan referred to America as a developing country and referred to American teens as "disadvantaged youth." I really really loved the part where Kamala is just so overwhelmed by her feelings that she goes to her Imam, expecting to get yelled at. Instead, he is wise and embracive, with many good things to tell about how elders tend to be stern and forget how to teach young people what to do with their feelings ...more
Ashley
Should I just copy and paste things from my previous reviews of this series so as to just really hammer the point home?
"Okay, so Ms. Marvel is probably my SECOND favorite comic, definitely my favorite superhero comic. I love Carol Danvers probably as much as I love Kamala Khan, but the last couple of Captain Marvel trades have fallen a little flat for me, and meanwhile G. Willow Wilson continues to absolutely KILL IT with Kamala." -Me, three years ago

"How does this series continue to be SO GOOD.
Lauren Stoolfire
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even though Kamala herself is missing for the first three issues, this volume overall still works. I enjoyed seeing her friends trying to fill her shoes during her absence because that's what superheroes are supposed to do. I was also pleased to see the return of the Red Dagger, Captain Marvel, and Bruno this series. I can't wait to see what's next up Kamala in volume ten.
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
After that incredibly intense cliff-hanger in Vol 8, I finally got my hands on a copy of volume 9!

Libraries are awesome!

Anywho, obviously I loved this one. It's not filled with as many deep and meaningful insights as Mecca, but a lot of old enemies pop up and Kamala is no-where in sight. Plus there is the underlying theme of what makes a hero a hero—do you need superpowers? Do you need to be young? And what is the worth of someone who can't "contribute" to society? Okay, it's a little deep.

And
Rod Brown
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Kamala Khan spends the first half of the book in hiding, and frankly I didn't much miss her. The side characters stepped up and carried things along quite well with quite a bit of help from a feisty WWII veteran named Harold. (I'm totally up for a Harold and Zoe spin-off series.)

Then Kamala comes back and everyone gets pretty mopey through the end of the book dealing with all their romantic entanglements. It's a good thing that all the teen angst is so well done, because the super villain action
Joe
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Ms. Marvel title with Ms. Marvel missing for the bulk of the book? And it's still amazing?! You better believe it. Ms. Marvel has some soul searching to do so her friends pick up the Ms. Marvel mantle (say that three times fast) and try to keep Jersey safe. So much to love about this books:
- Real friendships
- Real religious differences dealt with in real ways
- Hilarious villains
- Entire plots that revolve around sandwich delivery

Read this book nerds!
Wing Kee
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve always loved the tone and the message of this book and this is just more of the awesome same.

World: The art is amazing, the characters are so full of personality and character. I love art that’s a bit more stylised and this is it, the characters are drawn nearly manga style with their expression faces and body language, awesome. The world building here is solid, it continues what has been built since the series started and pulling pieces from the past is always fun, especially when a writer
Renata
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
(Read as single issues)
I loved seeing Kamala's friends team up and I know there were some ~issues~ to work out but also I missed Kamala :( Let's return to the super status quo pls
Kimberly
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
What happens when Ms. Marvel disappears? Her friends take up the mantle until they have to call in the big guns, Captain Marvel! Kamala Khan is at a private school & doesnt know how much she is missed back home. What will happen when she returns to Jersey City?
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer:
May contain spoilers on previous issues.
Disclaimer #2:
This isn't a review so much as a pile of squee.

My fellow Kamala Korps members - what do you think of our girl's love life? I'm totally team Kareem, not team Bruno. Why? Because Bruno falls into the sidekick role way too easily. It messes with his confidence. Bruno does this with Kamala; but we also see Bruno going along with Loki's wacky schemes (in Vol #4 Crushed), and Kwezi's mad-scientist vibranium heist (in Vol #8
Rob
Story
I started this one incredibly confused. Where was Ms. Marvel? Eventually I found out, but I can't recall if I was forgetting something important from the last volume or what. I'm still not really sure. I didn't read it that long ago, but I found the start of this pretty jarring.

Once I got my bearings, this was another enjoyable volume. It's a little bittersweet for me since it was announced this week that Ms. Wilson will be leaving the series next year. That means I don't have much longer
Katie Florida
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this volume. I enjoy the focus back on Kamala's personal relationships; it's a part of her narrative that I've always enjoyed. And of course, the writing was smart, the perfect balance of witty, and left me anxious for the next volume already!
Joana Veríssimo
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was really GOOD and fun!! Very action packed, but also the most conclusion is that Kamala has the best friends in the world, and they don't even know the truth... It was just so great seeing them working together and trying to improvise things
This volume was really fun!! I still really like this series!!!
Tova
These are always so fun, and this one got spicy. RTC
Dan
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
More like 2.5 but meh it was ok
Lara
I enjoyed this one a lot, possible mainly because Bruno. Also Zoe--I kind of love Zoe. There are a couple of weird bits...like how Red Dagger just very conveniently decides to go home pretty much out of nowhere. But there are parts that so make up for it, like when Kamala talks to the imam and it's kind of hilarious and adorable and sweet. I'm still all in when it comes to this series!
Maggie Gordon
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: super-hero
The ninth volume of Ms Marvel deals with some of the lasting repercussions of prior events, to the extent that Ms. Marvel herself takes a hiatus for the first part of the volume! Did not love the short-lived love triangle, and I would love to see a return to the original cast. Plus, this has the sweetest and more hilarious scene between our favourite protagonist and her iman :)
Nina
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
*4.5 This was the closure that I needed for Ms. Marvel. Even though the ending didn't wrap up every loose thread, it was enough that I feel satisfied with her story arc. Just am all around enjoyable read and a great character dive.
Lenny
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
In one of Stan Lee’s most famous Spider-Man stories, (and arc for the regrettable second Spider-Man film), “Spider-Man No More!”, Peter Parker gives up the life of Spidey to just be normal ol’ Peter. Even though crime happens as usual, Peter finds that he’s actually happy in his school, personal and dating life – but he eventually finds out that being Spider-Man isn’t a choice. It’s part of who he is. If Kamala Khan is this generation’s Spider-Man – and in many respects she fits the bill – this ...more
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read Ms. Marvel Vol. 9 as single issues through the Marvel Unlimited app.

I’ve been a bit behind on reading Ms. Marvel lately, and with her series about to be rebooted (it’s going to be called the Marvelous Ms. Marvel now), I really should try to get caught up. So here I am, and I have to say that I’m really happy to have an excuse to come back to this series!
I love Ms. Marvel’s concept. I originally gave her series a try because I loved the Carol Danvers version of Ms. Marvel, and was
Matthew Lloyd
If I have one overall criticism of the wonderful Ms. Marvel comics, it's this: Bruno aside, Kamala's friends don't get the attention they deserve. Following the events of the final arc of the previous volume, Ms. Marvel, Vol. 8: Mecca , Kamala Khan and Ms. Marvel have both disappeared, and her friends (who don't know that Kamala is Ms. Marvel) are picking up the superhero slack while worrying about what's happened to their friend. Naturally, this means that they get some of that attention I've ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 10: Life is Too Short, Squirrel
  • Champions, Volume 2: The Freelancer Lifestyle
  • Ms. Marvel Team-Up Vol. 1
  • Champions, Volume 4: Northern Lights
  • On a Roll (Lumberjanes, Vol. 9)
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Vol. 4
  • Runaways, Vol. 2: Best Friends Forever
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 7: I've Been Waiting for a Squirrel Like You
  • Spider-Gwen, Vol. 6: The Life of Gwen Stacy
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 11: Call Your Squirrelfriend
  • She-Hulk, Volume 3: Jen Walters Must Die
Award-winning writer of comics and novels including MS MARVEL and THE BIRD KING.

Ms. Marvel (2014-15) (Collected Editions) (10 books)
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal