Start by marking “The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)

The Lady in Question

(Effingtons #7)

How did this young lady's reputation become so questionable?

Once she was lovely, respectable Miss Del
Published November 25th 2003 by Avon (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady in Question, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady in Question

Start your review of The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)
Julianna
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Lighter Regency Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"3.5 stars" I’ve really struggled with Victoria Alexander’s books thus far. I genuinely want to like them, and there are certainly things I have liked about them. But despite that, the majority of the ones I’ve read so far have only rated in the 3-3.5 star range for me, which is just an OK read on my ratings scale. Unfortunately The Lady in Question was yet another of her books that didn’t quite make it out of that OK range. I liked the characters pretty well. Both the hero and heroi
Judy
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Cassandra and Philedelphia Effington are identical twins. Everyone keeps an eye on Cassie as she is the one who is outspoken and most likely to cause a scandal, they thought.

Seems Delia wanted the exciting grand adventure and found it in the flirting a well known rogue, Charles Wilmont. She is soon married to avoid a scandal and within four days, a widow.

Delia went into hiding with a distant aunt and now she has returned to London in her mourning clothes. It has been six
Patria
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Cheryl Mclaws
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I listened to the audiobook version. The narrator was great, but the story dragged. I skipped through a lot of the tracks because it was so drawn out and I got frustrated with the writing being so long-winded and taking forever to get to the point. Had I been actually reading the book I would have been skimming through it as well to get to the important parts. There was too much unimportant fluff going on, in my opinion. **Minor Spoiler** I also had an issue with the fact that toward the beginni ...more
Donna
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was my first in the series, and I found it very enjoyable. Likable characters, several unexpected and fun plot twists, and classic mistaken identity switcheroos (ah yes! But she doesn't know that I know she knows!).

It started well, and had an excellent finish, but felt a little long in through the middle. At around the 50% mark, the action seemed to slow down noticeably, and there was quite a lot of dialog that didn't seem to advance the plot. This minor flaw was very excusable,
Lauren
4.5 Stars

Identical twins in looks but nothing in manner, sensible Delia and mischievous Cassandra Effington took London by storm. No one expected Delia to be the one that got herself into trouble. On a whim Delia attends a ball posing as her sister and there meets the dashing Viscount St. Stephens. What Delia doesn't know is that as an agent for the Crown, St. Stephens has been posing as a butler in her own house.

This one was really good. I loved the interplay between the
Carrie
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh.

2.5*... didn’t hold my interest, so I probably missed the main points.
I’m not really sure why everyone falls in love with Delia at the drop of a hat, not sure how they developed a relationship in a week, and REALLY not sure why there was such a convoluted story for Tony to be in her house. I think I’d have rather read about Wilmont & Mrs. Miller instead.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Nice, entertaining romance but I would have loved to have seen a little more suspense, given the plot of the story.
Helen
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Twins--double trouble--and Delia is definitely in trouble after her impulsive marriage and subsequent, almost immediate, widowhood. Good thing her sister Cassie is available to help her find a life again, although not in exactly the most respectable manner when she meets Anthony St. Stephens. I enjoyed this immensely, thanks to delightful banter and a believable, if brief, courtship between two engaging, likeable characters and a lively supporting cast. There's a mystery too, and more than one d ...more
MPSchaff
If your heroine spends the vast majority in the dark about how the hero is tricking her, that's a problem. It means your heroine is not too bright, and your hero is willing to lie to his partner no matter if telling her the truth is clearly the right thing to do. In this case, telling the truth would also have solved the primary mystery much sooner. For a book about spies and intrigue, these two are about as interesting as watching paint dry.
Janet
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Ioana
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute. 😊
Julie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Twins that makes this story very interesting.
Shannon
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wasn't very impressed with this story and halfway through, I just skimmed through the rest of the book. It was moving so slowly.
Written Melodies
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars
Adam
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks-a-z
Post listen review: I went into this thinking I would want to give it negative stars and chuck it out the window which is how I have felt about most of the romance books I have listened to in my effort to listen to all the fictional audiobooks at the library. But to my great surprise this one was actually ok. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying anyone should go out and read romance books (they mostly suck really badly) but if you absolutely have to read or listen to one, this is the one you ...more
Maura
Tonileg
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Original historical romance with a smart 22 year old heroine who runs off to marry an infamous rake after only a month of secret meetings (very few of those because of the strict social obligations), then after only a few days of marriage he mysteriously disappears and is probably dead which leaves Miss Delia Effington, suddenly the married then now the widowed Lady Wilmont. Strangely karma strikes quickly because Delia is the most scandalous lady of the winter because of her actions and embarra ...more
Sylvain

Identical twins, sensible Delia and mischievous Cassandra Effington were the most delicious debutantes to ever waltz across a London ballroom. They looked alike in every way . . . but no one ever expected Delia to be the one to get into trouble . . . How did this young lady's reputation become so questionable? Once she was lovely, respectable Miss Delia Effington, but an impulsive decision—and subsequent disaster—forces Delia to retire from society. Until one night, desperate for diversion, she

Jessi
Lady Wilmont, formerly Delia Effington, was married for a little less than three days when her husband was murdered. She married him somewhat precipitously, causing a scandal, but now she's been in mourning for seven months and it's beginning to feel like punishment. What she doesn't know is that her former husband was a spy and left some very important papers hidden in her house. Now a new spy, Anthony, Viscount St. Stephens, has been installed in her house, disguised as an elderly butler. The ...more
Miriamgreen
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
another book read out of order, and in the effingtons series the plot suffers from lack of mise en scene. reading over reviews i now remember the story and have since read several more effingtons titles, giving me again, a new perspective. i may have to read this title again, but remembering a series of events am recasting my rating and encouraging those to read the series is some sequence.
Am about to read Cassandra's book and not remembering the twin was disconcerting. yes i know all of G
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Delia married a rake, was widowed, and went into a self imposed seclusion six months ago. Everyone thought that if there was trouble of a proper young lady in the Effington family it would be Delia's twin Cassandra because Delia has always been the quiet, well behaved, favorite of the two. Coming back to London to live in her late husbands house is a great change for Delia, who is used to people around and the noise of family. She has only a few servants and is very lonely, so she befriends her ...more
Farrah
Jan 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Thoroughly enjoyed this historical romance by Victoria Alexander. Adventure, wit, passion, and mystery as we solve the who's and whys of the novel Alexander created. Strong characters who "fall" from their expectations of love and marriage after being with one another. After reading about Delia Effington, I now want to find out about her twin sister's story next.

Picked this one up from the library and while I enjoyed the story, I doubt this would be one I'd run to get a copy of to ke
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, effingtons
Karen  Boruff
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I struggle in some ways with this authors books. She throws in unbelievable elements which I can't seem to overlook. Makes time and place errors, and other mistakes that keep making consentrate on those and not the story line. However, it is a fun, light read and will keep many less "picky" readers happy throughout. I will read her again, but will not search her out. Something to infantile about the story lines to pull me to them.
Bark the Overwrought Keyboard Warrior
I stuck with this one but it was a heck of a chore. As I feared, I have a feeling I'm just thoroughly burned out on historical romances, having read one too many of them over the past decade. The twin switching and the identity falsification of the hero was cute but something I'd read many a time before. The love story was sweet and at times made me smile. I particularly enjoyed the exchanges between Delia and her butler. Still, sadly I found the book too easy to put down.
Sharyn
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Looks like I read this just 3 months ago. Now I listened to it and didn't remember it at all. Also, my 3 stars remained the same. This is not my favorite Alexander book, obviously. Too much mistaken identity and dithering. The plot was relatively unique, twins, scandalous marriage, mysterious death (and I was surprised again by the murderer). Now I am off to get the audio of the twin sister. I am determined to read all of her books.
Abigail Stevens
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not bad. Worth keeping. Ending bugged me a bit. Many typos. The character dialogue was trying a little too hard to be witty. It seemed like the characters were both trying to get in the last word and that was annoying. The hero's statements were a little too syrupy sweet sometimes - more like what someone would write in a romance novel then what a man would actually say. All that said. It has no fatal flaws. It's good. Hot 4/10.
Joan
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun refreshing book about a young lady who makes a mistake, makes the best of it and finds adventure,friends and love in the processes. Nice strong personalities in the main characters, storyline moved at a great pace and not alot of whining about woe is me and my situation. That makes all the difference to me. Introduction of secondary characters was well done and left you wanting to know more. Good marketing for getting the next book. A really good read.
Cathy
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: january-2012
I enjoy Alexander's historical romances. I am slowly reading all of her books. This one was a good change after having spent the month of December reading paranormal and urban fantasy books. I needed a change to cleanse the pallet.

I really rated this 3.5 but I am still learning how to do my ratings here.

• Thanksgiving
  • 25 Days 'til Christmas
  • A Rogue of Her Own (Windham Brides, #4)
  • Immortal Born (Argeneau #30)
  • The Trouble With Vampires (Argeneau #29)
  • To Wed a Wild Lord (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #4)
  • The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3; Windham, #3)
  • One Kiss From You (Switching Places, #2)
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • Brighter Than the Sun (The Lyndon Sisters, #2)
  • To Wed a Scandalous Spy (Royal Four, #1)
  • The King of Fire
  • Of Swine and Roses
  • A Small Blue Key
  • Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish (The Duke's Daughters, #1; Windham, #4)
  • Viking's Moon (Children of the Moon, #6)
  • Beyond Seduction (Bastion Club, #6)
  • Mortal Enemy, Immortal Lover

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,

Effingtons (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1)
  • The Husband List (Effingtons, #2)
  • The Marriage Lesson (Effingtons, #3)
  • The Prince's Bride (Effingtons, #4)
  • Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons, #5)
  • Love With the Proper Husband (Effingtons, #6)
  • The Pursuit of Marriage (Effingtons, #8)
  • A Visit From Sir Nicholas (Effingtons, #9)
  • When We Meet Again (Effingtons, #10)
  • Let It Be Love (Effingtons, #11)