Start by marking “Simple Chinese Cooking” as Want to Read:
Simple Chinese Cooking

Simple Chinese Cooking

Cooking Chinese food at home has truly never been easier--all you need is this book, a wok, and a quick trip to the supermarket Simple Chinese Cooking offers Kylie Kwong's philosophy of marrying the freshest ingredients and the simplest techniques to create amazing flavor. Kylie grew up devouring the mouthwatering heartiness of her mother's traditional Cantonese cuisine. ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Avery Publishing Group (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Simple Chinese Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simple Chinese Cooking

Start your review of Simple Chinese Cooking
Justin Walshaw
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Kylie pushes the envelope and attempts to cook a Chinese person. It doesn't end well.
Maggie Leayr
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting take on some classics
Matthew Gatheringwater
Aug 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning non-Chinese cooks.
Shelves: cookbooks
This big, beautiful, cookbook with lots of recipes really is simple--too simple, if you ask me. The flavor profiles of the recipes are all pretty much alike! Some non-Chinese cooks will find this a convenience, since it means they won't have to look for exotic ingredients, but adventurous cooks may find it disappointing.

I like the way the cookbook is divided into techniques and I was encouraged to move on from stir-frying and to try some of the steamed dishes I have enjoyed so much in
Vom
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. On the plus side, it's an all color, beautiful book. On the negative side, I found the recipes were quite repetitious. There is one dish that is shown with seafood, then chicken, then pork, then beef. Why not simply say that the meal can be made with either seafood, pork, chicken, beef, etc?

The recipes are also not very interesting or tasteful. I felt that other cookbooks, such as Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian, had recipes that were simple and
Jim
Jul 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beginning cooks
The six or so recipes I made from this book tasted good. The salads are particularly interesting.

More importantly, the recipes actually are simple as promised and help you gain an understanding of cooking. Generally, there is a sauce or marinade, and then vegetables or meat to chop up. Anyone can handle it, yet the result is restaurant quality food (well, at least better than the local carryout places) that you couldn't produce by improvising.

The instructions are mostly very clear. The only
Ade
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I can say this is the best cooking book I read since I've been here in Sydney. All of the recipes are make sense. We can cook it in no time and no fuss. Following these simple recipe made me like an expert in Chinese cooking (hahah, exaggerating!).
My fav recipe is Gai Lan in Oyster sauce. I can simply make this beautiful cooking in 5 minutes. No kidding. That suits a very busy (hahaha) fulltime working Mum like me.
I also love to cook steamed silk tofu with spinach in soy sauce. It works. I
Terri
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i CRAVE these flavours.....and when i discovered this book for a novice like me, i simply had to try it. so far i've started with bok choy with oyster sauce and it was simply amazing - all the flavours i longed for now in my kitchen.. made me very happy. i will move onto poultry or tofu next. we'll see... my sister plans to prepare the sweet corn and chicken soup.

p. 196 bok choy with oyster sauce is one of my favourites. yes, it requires three different oils and oyster sauce but its wonderful.
Hannysan
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Truly a collection of simple recipes that can be learnt very easy even for someone who never cook Chinese Food before!

What I like from this book is: Kylie also descriptively and visually explained the brands of all ingredients that she had used - this is awesome as usually cooking some recipes will produce a bit different taste to what we expected since we do not know exactly the brand of ingredients/spices that should be used to produce the desired outcome.

Have tried cooking some of the simple
Angela Aroozoo
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A small collection but quality recipes for home cooking. Balance in flavours and sauces cannot be faulted. I bought it so that my husband and kids could replicate the food that used to be learnt by hanging around family kitchens.
Toni NB
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful cookbook with, indeed, simple recipes. Many of the recipes use the same basic flavors: garlic, onions, ginger, soy sauce, oyster sauce, etc. and yet each recipe has it's own unique flavor. Enjoyed the large, colorful images as well. I always like to see what I'll be eating!
Stephanie Cox
Jun 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Looking forward to trying several of the recipes in this book.
Michelle Howell
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love this book. It's taught me a lot about Chinese flavours. All the recipes I've made I have loved
Naomi
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love this book! I keep coming back to it over and over. Really authentic flavours and the sweet and sour sauce is brilliant.
Jane Louise
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. It's the best one of hers if you're just begining to cook Chinese. It's simple, straight forward, authentic and fun...love herrrrrr
Elsie Lo
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
very clear and simple recipes to follow for Chinese home-cooking
Doron Yam
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
A realy easy chinese cooking for everyone.
Jess
Sep 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: food, 2011, nonfiction
Well laid out and easy to understand, this cookbook has some merit. Still, it is terribly repetitive and because of this, many dishes taste similar ( at least the few I tried.)
Anne

• The Silmarillion
  • Diabetes: From the Ebers Papyrus to Cell Technology
  • How to Live Well with Diabetes
  • Chinese Cooking for Dummies
  • The Low-Carb Diabetes Cookbook: 100 delicious recipes to help control type 1 and reverse type 2 diabetes
  • China: A History
  • Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking
  • A Wizard of Earthsea
  • Flavors
  • Unbearable! (Uncollected)
  • The Complete Asian Cookbook
  • Unreal! (Uncollected)
  • The Cabbage Patch Fib (The Cabbage Patch Fib, #1)
  • Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home
  • A Taste of India
  • Uncanny! (Uncollected)
  • Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible
  • Unbelievable! (Uncollected)
Kylie Kwong is a restaurantuer and TV Chef in Australia, specialising in Chinese cooking.

News & Interviews