Start by marking “Tracker” as Want to Read:
Tracker

Tracker

A collective memoir of one of Aboriginal Australia’s most charismatic leaders and an epic portrait of a period in the life of a country, reminiscent in its scale and intimacy of the work of Nobel Prize-winning Russian author Svetlana Alexievich.

Miles Franklin Award-winning novelist Alexis Wright returns to non-fiction in her new book, Tracker, a collective memoir of the ch
Published November 2017 by Giramondo (first published October 30th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Tracker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tracker

Michael Livingston
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This mammoth tribute to Tracker Tilmouth weaves together stories from dozens of people who knew and worked with him during his lifelong work to improve the lives of Aboriginal Australians. The stories paint a complex portrait of a fascinating man. They also brought home how little actual detail I knew about issues of land rights and community development in remote Australia - Tilmouth's philosophical arguments about the ways forward are compelling. I missed some sort of more personal perspective ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘A Western-style biography would never do for Tracker.’

‘Tracker’ is a biography of Tracker Tilmouth (1954-2015). It’s no standard, linear biography. Instead Alexis Wright has composed a collective memoir, drawing on interviews with Tracker as well as with family, friends and colleagues. It’s a life recounted in a series of stories, of reminiscences. I started reading the book knowing a little about Tracker Tilmouth, I finished the book wanting to know more.

Tracker Tilmouth was born in central A
Tundra
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF ( I read about half). I really wanted to like this book and for the first quarter I did. The anecdotes, conversational style and different narrators complemented the rugged, gregarious, passionate character I was beginning to admire.
Unfortunately the book lost me from this point. It began to get very repetitive and bogged down in all of the issues that surround the indigenous movement. I wanted the stories about Tracker (the biography) not a blow by blow account of every event that occurred
Anna Baillie-Karas
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A collective biography of Tracker Tilmouth, who was a prominent Aboriginal leader and larger-than-life character. I was keen to read Alexis Wright, but her skill here is collating the stories, not her own writing. Factual & disorientating to read, stories repeat & circle around issues - a different way of getting to the heart of the matter, true to the story-tellers’ culture & I respect her approach, but I struggled with it. Fascinating but tough.
Jillian
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had trouble finishing this book, not because i wasn’t enjoying it, but because it was demanded a lot of thinking - and I had borrowed it on Overdrive. I had to return it before I’d finished and then wait for it to become available again.

Reading it was a new experience - absorbing a narrative as it emerged from a variety of telling and perspectives. Every chapter, every event is built up in the reader’s mind like an oral virtual reality experience. It is, or course, written, but so much of it i
Alison
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every so often a book comes along which makes me wish I had more stars than five: the kind of reading experience that leaves you different. The frustrating thing is, I'm not sure how to articulate what it is about Tracker that is so good. I want to describe it as intensely intellectual: but that risks giving the impression that the sentences are hard to understand, when the opposite is true. Wright's narrators speak in the various patterns of Australia, mixing bombast and laconic humour. At time ...more
James Whitmore
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this a powerful and challenging book. Tracker is a biography of Tracker Tilmouth, who was born in central Australia in 1954, and died in 2015. His family was split when he was about 4 years old, and him and two of his brothers were taken to an island mission north of Darwin. He later returned to central Australia, as an agricultural economist, working with various Aboriginal institutions. He was never a politician, and often worked behind the scenes wheeling and dealing. But this book de ...more
Nov 22, 2018 added it
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating read into a larger than life man who devoted his life to the cause of his people. I learnt so much about Aboriginal land rights vs. native title and the perspectives of a wide range of people involved in Aboriginal affairs across the decades really painted a thorough picture of what has been happening. There were also a lot of amusing stories of how Tracker did business whilst delivering some home truths about the ways Aboriginal Australians have been treated since coloniz ...more
Theresa
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
An epic, fun, interesting read. While it is a story of Tracker Tilmouth's life, and all that influences him, the nature of the story tellers mean it is mostly a story of Tracker's work, and Australian politics, Aboriginal issues, and Native Title more broadly. Loads of material in here relevant to my research, and lots of quotes making their way into my next few lectures too... this link in to my own work meant I couldn't really lose myself in the story but it was such a good book anyways!
Sharkell
Jul 03, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
up to page 106 (return to library)
Janine Gertz
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Read this book if you’re interested in Aboriginal Economic Development and Self-Determination.
Michaela
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Tracker by Alexis Wright is this year's Stella Prize winner. A collective memoir of the legendary Tracker Tilmouth, this epic read tells of everything from Tracker's childhood removed from his family and brought up on a mission to the charismatic Aboriginal leader running around federal parliament winding up all the politicians. A forward thinking advocate for the self-determination of Aboriginal people Tracker was controversial and explosive. Wright has used interviews from Tracker and his fami ...more
Alexandra Rose
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the few memoirs/biographies/autobiographies I’ve read where I have desperately wished I had gotten to meet the subject thereof. I’ve never read anything like this before, and I believe it’s highly necessary reading for anyone wanting to live purposefully within the still tumultuous space of Australia.
Jan
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
A big read told as stories by Tracker (Leigh 'Bruce' Tilmouth) and by the many who knew him. Wright has woven the transcribed conversations to give a chronological account of Tracker's life. This method of delivering a biography is unique and effective. Tracker's bigger than life quality comes through and can overwhelm at times, and the book is a large read at over 600 pages, so is best read slowly. There is much to absorb about Tracker's life that aids understanding of many issues. These issues ...more
Lisa
To read my review of this book up to about page 250, please see https://anzlitlovers.com/2018/04/10/t...
(I finished reading it a few days after the book won the Stella Prize. I think now that I'd read the best of it at the time I wrote the review, reading the ins and outs of Aboriginal politics is rather draining and at times I nearly decided not to finish it.)
Rosalie
Every Australian should read this book.
I have had to buy my own copy as I am half way through and have to return this copy to the public library.
This is a powerful book about a man who died too early but who achieved so much. Alexis Wright has revealed the man through his own words and through the eyes and words of those who knew him well.
Corri Minarelli
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating insight into a charismatic and magnetic character. Could almost be a business or political strategy book in a way. The huge number of people telling their stories from their perspectives gave a 360 view of Tracker the person, the strategist and the political, economic, social and environmental context that he worked in. Authentic and genuine, cunning and searingly clever.
Missyd
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Really enjoyed the first quarter describing Tracker’s childhood and adolescence. The rest got very repetitive, especially all the people giving a slightly different perspective on the same events. Having said that I think it’s an important and worthwhile read.
Janet Butler
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Didn’t finish.
Nancy
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
#aww2018
Narrative sounds like the flow of casual talk
campfire yarns…and in my opinion no great craft.

Review

Em Eff
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Great book, but could've halved the size. Felt far too long for the content.
Georgia Alexander
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Utilises the time-old technique of storytelling to give a glimpse of a huge life that was sadly short-lived. Told by those who knew him best, it's a fantastic book that speaks of not just the life, but the visions, tragedies, and mischief of a life well lived.
Lynette Drew
  • The Enlightenment of the Greengage Tree
  • Deep Time Dreaming: Uncovering Ancient Australia
  • The Forgotten Rebels of Eureka
  • The Hate Race
  • Adult Fantasy: searching for true maturity in an age of mortgages, marriages, and other adult milestones
  • Position Doubtful: Mapping Landscapes and Memories
  • Growing Up Aboriginal in Australia
  • Gentlemen Formerly Dressed (Rowland Sinclair, #5)
  • The Portrait of Molly Dean
  • Happy Never After: why the happiness fairytale is driving us mad (and how I flipped the script)
  • A Guide to Berlin
  • Dancing with Strangers: Europeans and Australians at First Contact
  • Love and Hunger
Alexis Wright is from the Waanji people from the highlands of the southern Gulf of Carpentaria. Her acclaimed first novel Plains of Promise was published in 1997 by University of Queensland Press and was shortlisted in the Commonwealth Writers' Prize, The Age Book of the Year, and the NSW Premier's Awards. The novel has been translated into French.

Alexis has published award-winning short stories a
“Am I Aboriginal, or how much of an Aboriginal am I?” 0 likes