Start by marking “The Oddling Prince” as Want to Read:
The Oddling Prince

The Oddling Prince

In the ancient moors of Scotland, the king of Calidon lies on his deathbed, cursed by a ring that cannot be removed from his finger. When a mysterious fey stranger appears to save the king, he also carries a secret that could tear the royal family apart.

The kingdom’s only hope will lie with two young men raised worlds apart. Aric is the beloved heir to the throne of Calido
Published May 15th 2018 by Tachyon Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Oddling Prince, please sign up.
Jill Hi Elle. This book was written as a stand-alone, however, it is always possible the author may revisit it.

Start your review of The Oddling Prince
Nasom
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
What attracted me to request this book (apart from the cover) was the bromance storyline. There is nothing I love more than loyalty/bonds between two people that are not based on romance so I was hyped to read this. Unfortunately, I did not like this as much as I thought I would

What I didn’t like
- The writing is in old English, very fairytale-ish which I realized I did not like. Sometimes, I did not even know what certain sentences meant. I think this book would have been better as an audiobo
Candace Robinson
What I really liked about this book was the writing. I felt the author worded things in a way that were very appealing, sort of like strawberries dipped in chocolate. But the story itself, I couldn’t get drawn into, and that was more like strawberries dipped in hot sauce. However, some people may like like that, and I think a lot of people will like this book, but I need to go and find my chocolate.
Eli
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, read-2018
Oh god this was just not for me.
I guess I just didn't really like anything about this... the characters were flat and very superficial, the story strange and not really coherent and yeah.. not my cup of tea but I won't rant about this.
Thanks Netgalley!
Mel (Epic Reading)
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-netgalley
So close to 5-stars. If not for two major plot points that really annoyed me near the end it might have made the coveted 5-star list. The Oddling Prince is compelling and has lovely writing; as I would expect from someone as experienced as Nancy Springer. There are some trips along the way in the story; but overall this is a great little book. Perfect to start a middle-grade reader off in the fantasy genre.

Plot Points
There are a few moments in this book that really irritated me. The first is th
Sherwood Smith
May 26, 2018 added it
Shelves: fantasy
In a fantasy version of historical Scotland, the king of Calidon lies on his deathbed, cursed by a ring that cannot be removed from his finger. His son Albaric manages to save him, and suddenly gets a fey brother whom the king doesn’t remember, and takes a sudden, violent hatred to.

But Albaric takes just as sudden a violent love for his fey half-brother.

And so begins a fairy tale novel that in the early chapters contained graceful, even elegiac descriptions that evoke Lord Dunsany, but as it de
Amy Leigh
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I adored this book! Old Scotland mixed with Fae and war. Two brothers that know nothing of each other and bond. It was an epic fantasy and I just want more!

Aric is seventeen and heir to the throne of the kingdom of Calidon. His father has taken ill and seems to grow sicker everyday. The cause seems to be an enchanted ring that no one can remove and things look bad for the king. Just when hope seems lost a Fae sprints in and removes the ring saving the king's life. His health steadily returns an
Lauren Stoolfire
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The king of Calidon is dying, cursed by a ring that cannot be removed from his finger. The fey stranger that comes to the castle to save him has a major secret that could tear apart the royal family. The kingdom’s only hope lies with two young men raised in two entirely different worlds - Aric, the son of the king of Calidon, and Albaric, a mysterious person who is clearly a member of the nobility but is strangely out of place.

It'
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
I feel like this is a book that people will either love or hate.

It follows our main character Aric (Yes! Finally a male protagonist in YA fantasy) and he is the young prince of a lonely kingdom in Northern Scotland. His father, the king, is dying because of a strange and spooky ring around his finger but luckily, a fae (that's right! Faeries!) suddenly appears and saves the king by removing this ring. Well, not all is what it seems when history reveals itself. I really don't want to spoil anymor
Faith M ✨
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of The Lord of the Rings
I received this eARC from Tachyon Publications on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way.

For fans of The Lord of the Rings, The Oddling Prince is a tale of two brothers and their father, the King, and a ring of power that has plans of its own.

The Writing and Worldbuilding

The beginning of this book was somewhat difficult to really get into, as the book was written differently than any book I've ever read before, with a very storyboo
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/07/08/...

Long ago in the highlands of Northern Scotland there lived a kind and just king. However, one day he returned home from a hunting trip with his son Prince Aric and found that a cursed ring had suddenly appeared on his finger. With no way of removing it, the ring quickly caused the king to sicken until he was close to death. But just as his father was about to slip away, Prince Aric noticed a mysterious young man riding har
Lili  Marcus
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Warning: Minor Spoilers ahead (depends on how you take them)

I think this book isn't for me...

The Oddling Prince is no doubt brilliantly written. I love the author's style, and yes, the 2.5 stars are for it alone. It was worded using archaic language, almost like in King James version of the Bible, and thankfully, it's my favorite version so I find the writing of this book fascinating. The words are flowery, lyrical and poetic.

Now with the content, I have so many complains. It was boring. I was e
Lucie
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

It just wasn't for me, when it sounded like it was.

I read some of Nancy Springer's works when I was younger, and adored her Enola Holmes series so much, so when I heard about The Oddling Prince, I was so excited to get my hands on it, especially since it was set in Scotland. Unfortunately, it didn't really click with me.

One of the things I enjoyed with this novel was how it focused on family dynamics : the entire plot is cen
Jackie
Feb 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs, fantasy, 2018-reads
As a huge fan of the fae mythology I was eager to read this book that promised the reunion of two brothers, one fae and one mortal, as they learn to love each other while facing the threats to their kingdom from enemies both foreign and within. Unfortunately, I spent the first half confused as to what all happened leading up to the sick king and Oddling Prince and then suffered with boredom through the rest.

The language used in this is very fantasy driven which is fine although there were a few
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Is this whole book is about Aric giving tuition to Albaric?
I can't bear it anymore.
Sheila Goicea
See my FULL review of this book on my blog along with others at: shesgoingbookcrazy.com

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Suicide Idealisation, Prejudice, Neglect
“What is a friend?
Troth without end.
A light in the eyes,
A touch of the hand--
I would follow you even
To death’s cold strand.”

I want to jump right in and say that I think this book has been (and will be) widely misunderstood. I’ve seen a lot of reviews already t
Kelly Brigid ♡
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
“Son of the wind, son of the thunder. Fleet are your legs, son of the lightning. Son of sky raining, shod with silver. Son of the dayspring, shod with gold.”

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I honestly don’t know how to elaborate my thoughts about this novel. The writing style started out peculiar, but I eventually learned to enjoy it. In addition to the writing style, I had mixed feelings about the brotherly love between Aric and Albaric. Siblings
Leah
May 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
*looks left*
*looks right*
*whispers* If you're looking for a great fantasy where the central focus belongs to two brothers, look elsewhere.
I hate that I have to write this review, but quite simply put, this was a boring fantasy novel with little to no stakes, plot or point.
First off, I hesitate tremendously to call this a young adult novel. The flowery yet overly simple writing, with words like "perforce" and "whence" put me off right from the get-go. Thank god for the dictionary feature on my
Justine
The Oddling Prince started as a foreign novel. The writing style is completely different from the ones I read. It is narrated through a 3rd person in the old English language. The introduction was hard to pick up. I was shaking my head and dragging myself to finish it because I kept on staring at the word “whence” repeatedly. The book sure has it’s own magic too, what I did like about is the writing style grows on you. It sticks. I don’t know but it does. It will be enough to get you until the e ...more
Sheila
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars--I liked the book.

I can't believe I've never read Nancy Springer before! But at least I've remedied that now. This charming book reminds me very much of a folk tale--like I'm reading about Beowulf or Cú Chulainn. And I think that tone is intentional. This is a story of two princes on a remote Scottish isle--one human, one fey--and the bond that ties them together.

Characters aren't deep and the story progresses in an unsurprising manner (as I said before, it reads like a folk tale), but
ash
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it

I received an Advance Reader's Copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I got hooked from the very beginning and finished this book within four hours. The plot was interesting and refreshing and the characters were unique and so lovable.

The bond between the brothers Aric and Albaric and their love for each other was so pure and heartwarming. They way they protected and cared for each other truly made my heart melt.

Aric is such a kind and genuine character, honest and full of
Kayla
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

This book was not for me. Fae books are my thing so I was really expecting to love it but i didn't. The plot was so well thought out and really well executed don't get me wrong but I think it's cause I just read a book series with heavy romance and now going into a book with none at all is weird and that's maybe why I didn't enjoy it.

Lisa
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m struggling with a way to begin this review that won’t sound like I’m incoherently babbling about how much I loved reading this because, for me, it’s just that great a book. So, I’ll start in the usual way, with a short summary of the book.

The Oddling Prince takes place in the kingdom of Calidon in ancient Scotland and revolves around two princes, brothers, one of them fey. One day Prince Aric is out riding with his father when suddenly a ring appears on his father’s finger as if from no wher
Meaghan
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
First off, I would like to thank the publisher and author for providing me this ARC to review. Please note that the version I read was an advanced copy, and certain events/language may be changed in the published edition.

Stars (Out of 10): 5/10 Stars

Favorite Character: Albaric

Spoiler Free: When I checked out the Goodreads reviews after being accepted for this book, I was quite worried. It was sitting around a 3.06, and that’s probably the lowest scored book on Goodreads I’ve ever read. While in
Kei • fiction court •
Feb 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc-copy, net-galley, 2018
Albaric, Aric and Bardaric are three different people. I'll start with that.

Bardaric is the King. Out of the blue a mysterious magical ring just appeared on his finger one day and nobody was able to pull it off him, both with force and magic. The ring weakened him to the point where he's about to die when a random stranger rides in the castle and he's able not only to walk into the King's bedroom like it's no big deal but get close to him and actually pull the ring.

description

Aric and Albaric have, by far
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: publisher-sent
My rating is somewhere between a 4 and a 4.5.
I have loved Nancy Springer since my childhood when I read the magical Not on a White Horse. I also loved her novels involving Camelot like I am Mordred. I was thrilled to learn she was coming out with a new novel.
The Oddling Prince is for lack of a better word, an odd novel. It's so different than what's out there now, which to me is a good thing because fantasy has become boring to me, trope upon trope of sameness. Oddling has it's own charm, with
Delirious Disquisitions
Nov 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

DNF at 20%. This book just wasn't for me. The attempt at archaic language grated on my nerves. As did the use of run-on sentences and stuttered speech to convey shock or dismay. 20% into the book and I still didn't care about the story or any of the characters. If you like stories with this kind of archaic language, medieval worlds bordering on the edge of faerie, and warrior culture bromance then this might be the book for you.
Vicky
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m all for a bit of JRR Tolkien in my literary reading list, so when I came across The Oddling Prince I thought it’d fit the bill perfectly. It’s by Nancy Springer, a famed fantasy author, it has an epic quest and it has a battle between good and evil, framed by the relationship between two brothers. Hooray, I thought, dear reader, and picked up the book eagerly.

Straight off the bat: it wasn’t at all what I was expecting. The story opens with Aric, a prince whose father, Bardaric, is dying due
Meegy
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Found it a bit hard to start off with when reading, but it started getting better, and the characters were amazing. I absolutely loved the ending, I cried like a baby.
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
I received a free e-ARC through NetGalley from the publishers at Tachyon Publications. If I had realized who the author was, I might have been more hesitant to request this title. I read Springer’s I Am Mordred and I Am Morgan le Fay some years ago. I don’t remember much except that I didn’t really care for them, and I’m not sure I would have volunteered to read another of her books had I been paying better attention. (What is the point of keeping track of everything I read on Goodreads and inde ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
ACPL Online Book ...: Fantasyland Scotland 1 3 May 15, 2018 11:10AM

• Twice Dead (The Necromancer's Song, #1)
  • Olympian Challenger
  • Song of Blood & Stone (Earthsinger Chronicles, #1)
  • Must Love Breeches (Must Love, #1)
  • Ruthless Magic (Conspiracy of Magic, #1)
  • Fawkes
  • The Black Wolves of Boston (Black Wolves of Boston)
  • White Stag (Permafrost, #1)
  • The Hawkman: A Fairy Tale of the Great War
  • Daughters of the Storm (Blood and Gold, #1)
  • The Smoke Thieves (The Smoke Thieves, #1)
  • The Prince of Nabalar (Awakening, #1)
  • Smoke Eaters
  • Blind the Eyes (Threads of Dreams #1)
  • Outrun the Wind
  • Squid Empire: The Rise and Fall of the Cephalopods
  • The Unbinding of Mary Reade
  • Devil's Cry (Shade of Devil Book 2)

BIO -- NANCY SPRINGER

Nancy Springer has passed the fifty-book milestone, having written that many novels for adults, young adults and children, in genres including mythic fantasy, contemporary fiction, magical realism, horror, and mystery -- although she did not realize she wrote mystery until she won the Edgar Allan Poe Award from the Mystery Writers of America two years in succession. DARK LIE