Start by marking “The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)

The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One

(Women Are Some Kind of Magic #2)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  23,770 ratings  ·  3,626 reviews
The witch: supernaturally powerful, inscrutably independent, and now—indestructible. These moving, relatable poems encourage resilience and embolden women to take control of their own stories. Enemies try to judge, oppress, and marginalize her, but the witch doesn’t burn in this one.
Published March 6th 2018 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One, please sign up.
TJL Never mind executions- lots of people just straight up died or languished in prison for months, men and women alike.

As someone who's studied the Salem…more

As someone who's studied the Salem Witch Trials for a long time, it is SUPER common for people with a feminist bias to downplay female responsibility for the trials. The girls who made the accusations get made into poor little victims of societal sexism, ironically removing their autonomy and responsibility as people. Any shady behavior is brushed to the side for the 'the accuser girls are innocent victims' narrative.

Like Ari said, it's not a mistake that the first accused women were black, mentally ill, and not simply inherited property, but was considered "loose" because she'd had multiple husbands had been accused of witchcraft before.

Funny how all three women were "safe" targets for young girls to accuse, isn't it? Funny how the girls didn't start accusing "proper" and "respectable" women until they'd already gained some power?(less)
Mia (A Happy Little Bookworm) There's no real reason why you couldn't read this book first. While reading them in the order they were written may give you a better understanding of…moreThere's no real reason why you couldn't read this book first. While reading them in the order they were written may give you a better understanding of the author's message & personal backstory, the books could be just as good read on their own. (less)
The Great Alone by Kristin HannahCirce by Madeline MillerEducated by Tara WestoverThe Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWhere the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
Best Books of 2018
1,372 books — 2,568 voters
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,196 books — 4,753 voters

More lists with this book...

·  23,770 ratings  ·  3,626 reviews

Start your review of The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)
Hannah
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is, without a doubt, my favorite poetry collection I’ve ever read
Schizanthus Nerd
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
⚠️ Warning - High Probability of Unpopular Opinions Ahead ⚠️

I’ve read Amanda Lovelace’s the witch doesn’t burn in this one twice now. I wasn’t familiar with Amanda’s poetry and was intrigued so read it immediately after I downloaded it. I had strong contradictory feelings about it and wanted to know how I’d feel after it sat with me for a while and then reread it. So, here we are straight after the reread.

My review may well feel like one big soapbox moment but if this book has reminded me of a
Iselin
Mar 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ugh-no
misandry
/mɪˈsandri/
noun
dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against men (i.e. the male sex).

I had many issues with this.

1) I listened to the audiobook. The narration is done by the author herself, and it is fucking awful. She has a monotone voice, and reads with no dedication at all, it sounds so lazy and rushed.

2) There are so many quotes in particular that I take issue with, or find rediculous.
Such as: "refuse to bruise!" I cant? Maybe I just dont like poetry, I think I`m just to
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
You can find this review and more on my blog!

#1: The Princess Saves Herself in this One ★★★★☆

& a blueberry muffin
to coddle you as
i try to convince you
that respecting
my existence is essential.

Much like the first book in this poetry series, Amanda writes about feminism with a pleasantly surprising level of intersectionality
Nat
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, feminism, arc
the witch doesn
Picking up this poetry collection couldn't have come at a better time with having just read a book about powerful witches by Leslye Walton: The Price Guide to the Occult.

I really took to heart Amanda Lovelace's The Princess Saves Herself in This One for its raw and honest take on love, loss, grief, and healing. Plus, the many feminist poems. So with this follow-up collection, I was keen on reconnecting with the author through her words.

As the blurb states, these moving, relatable poems encou
Jess
Mar 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This book and I did not mesh. I'm really sorry to say that, since I thoroughly enjoyed the first one. However, it was not the case with this one. It seemed like this second one was sloppily thrown together, the ideas weren't fully formed, and it was just trying to mooch off the success of the first book.
This book promoted feminism in such a way that I cannot get behind. I will be among the first people to fight for equality for women, but this book took it too far. It was basically saying to te
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
❥ 2 / 5 stars

I understand the word “feminism” and I always believe that men and women should be valued equally but sorry, I‘m not sure this one could be called a feminist book. It’s very ok to be angry at the men who did wrong to you but you should not generalize that every man on the earth is bad so you can feel that you are superior to them. It doesn’t seem right. I know my review might be harsh. I don’t want to say these things, either but the poetess actually gave me that feeling.

The Princes
may ❀
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
we must help lift
each other above
the flames.
- women supporting women.

this was alright.

i can understand the empowering women aspects and the supporting each other (!!!) and the push for self-love and healing and acceptance, that was all fantastic but i didn't resonate with the intense misandry

like i just want women to be recognized and praised and loved and celebrated and all but the whole burn every man at the stake notion was like sis, i could do without that, yeah

and the quotes were nice
C.G. Drews
this was entirely magically ragey and so feminist, it really was a lit match to all the injustices women face. i am all for women being angry, but that is a fire that burns out, so i almost wish there had been a poem to say remember to rest too? it's a collection of fierceness and justice and burning, but i think i liked her first one better...i'm keen to try the 3rd next
Cora Tea Party Princess
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Witch, femininity, sisterhood, fire, solidarity.

What did I feel when reading this book?

Lots of things. A lot of anger, a lot of pride, a lot of power.

I had goosebumps up my arms and down my legs. I wanted to scream and rage and burn things. But in a good way.

I loved this collection. I loved the narrative behind each poem, how it told a story as you turned each page. The writing itself seemed to change as I progressed through the book, it became stronger and more mature.

This was excellen
Beatrice Masaluñga
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, poetry
Thank you Andrews McMeel Publishing for proving an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

After my disappointment with the princess saves herself in this one, I crossed my fingers I'll like this more. Amanda Lovelace's newest poetry collection centers on feminism. Topic wise, it's good but the poems were still empty, rundown sentences. Some poems are written differently but the thought was just the same. It's quite unimpressive. Do I feel empowered or inspired by this collection? Sadly, no. I gues
Whitney Atkinson
I went into this knowing it's not my favorite style of poetry, which is why i'm withholding a rating. As always, a great message for those first delving into poetry/feminism, but for some reason I just can't vibe with each poem's delivery. I will say that I enjoyed book one more than this one.
Jenna
Jan 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
I'm disturbed and mystified that this book won Goodreads Choice for Poetry for 2018. Perhaps a lot of girls and women had their feelings validated reading this book, and that is why it won. For me though, it is merely a diatribe against men. Don't get me wrong -- I am a feminist. However, being feminist does not mean you are anti-men, or doesn't need to mean that anyway. Being a feminist means I know that women are equal to men and should be valued as such. Being feminist does not mean (or needn ...more
Julia Sapphire
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I was sent this by Andrews McMeel Publishing in exchange for an honest review

I will be discussing this more on my YouTube channel (Julia Sapphire) shortly!
This was incredible, I am speechless and I am so excited for everyone to read this when it releases.

“women
don't endure
simply because
we can;

women endure
because we aren't
given any other
choice.

- they wanted us weak but forced us to be strong.”
Christy

you many not
see my worth,
but i do.
i do.”

This book of poetry is important and it’s powerful. Some of the poems really spoke to me and moved me, others I couldn’t relate to as much. Overall I loved the book and I loved the message. There are some I highlighted that I know will stay with me. It only took me an hour or two to read (and I took my time reading it) so I would definitely recommend you take just
alana ♡
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well friends, it’s safe to say, this one just didn’t do it for me. Poetry seems to be something that is very hit or miss with me. It is also is the genre that I find myself most intimidated by, however, I’ve really been trying to broaden my horizons in terms of what I’ll read. Fantasy, YA, romance, mysteries, and contemporaries are all fun to read, but sometimes I want something more thought provoking and inspiring. So needless to say, I was rather excited to start this one because poems about w ...more
✨    jamieson   ✨
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads, poetry
"bitch," he spits.

"witch," he sneers.

& i say,
"actually, i'm both."

-reclaim everything.

it's really hard to review poetry because it functions so differently than an actual fiction book but I've decided to just rate this on enjoyment. and I enjoyed this a lot

Amanda Lovelace continues to write poetry that is personal, and raw, and honest. But I think this collection worked so much better than the first one (Which I also loved).

The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One is so cohesive and on topic. It mai
Shealea
Jan 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Before anything else:
(1) If your idea of feminism is misandry, you're not a feminist.
(2) If your idea of feminism is that women are superior to men, you're not a feminist.
(3) If you're a woman and your notion of empowerment stems from prejudice against men, then honey, women like you are some kind of tragic.
(4) We're here for equality, not another gender-based hierarchy.

Regarding the content of this collection of poems:
🔥 men 🔥 are 🔥 trash 🔥 let 🔥 them 🔥 burn 🔥
🔥 men 🔥 are 🔥 trash 🔥 let 🔥 them 🔥
lucie
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, in-english
we must help lift
each other above
the flames.
- women supporting women.

I loved The Princess Saves Herself in this One, loved and I looked forward to read this so much.
But..
hmm..
It wasn't what I was hoping for to be.

This book was full of anger against men. It supposed to empower women but I didn't feel empowered at all, I finished the book with a feeling that men are bad and are something less than women.

I liked and highlighted eleven poems (mostly woman-loving or self-loving ones) b
Rachel Reads Ravenously
5 stars!

Powerful. That's the first word that comes to me when thinking about this collection of poems.

Poetry is not really my thing, I've been getting into it a bit more in the past couple of months. I've heard of this collection of poems compared to Rupi Kaur, but I would disagree. That collection of poems seemed so disingenuine and fake, in my opinion. Lovelace, her poems felt like they were from the heart, she didn't try to use a shock factor to get her point across.

There are so many peopl
make sure
that
it doesn’t
burn the
good
with
the rot.
- we can’t lose our empathy.

3.75
It's the second book in the series "Women Are Some Kind Of Magic" and I find it even more fierce than the first one, boldly picking up on women's issues and feminism.
Then again I do not consider it to be the most authentic forms of poetry but I won't hesitate to put Amanda Lovelace at the second position in the ca
Crystal
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
review from the first volume is still valid. Love these stories and lessons
Zainab
The poetess gets aggressive in this one.

Get it? I'll see myself out now
may ➹
I thought I was being mean every time I made a 😐 face (which happened at least 20 times), but then came

“protest → potest → poetst → poett → poetr → poetry”

and

“you have to eat”—repeated at least 50x in my ear as I listened to the audiobook—

and I realized no, I was not being mean

I appreciate women’s empowerment, Amanda, but not like this :o)
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣

(shhh,
it's ok,
i won't tell.)

Thank you, Amanda!

Thank you for every word in this poetry collection.
Thank you for all your fire.
Thank you for putting that fire into words.
Thank you for making me feel less alone in my own fire.

Thank you, Amanda!

**********************************************

description
Kat | Rustic Pages
Mar 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book and I absolutely hate giving a one star rating but, this book…well lets start with the positive. I appreciate the author’s goal of empowering women, and if it has this effect on you as a reader, I think that is fantastic. I do understand my opinion is an unpopular one.

I love a good feminist point of view, but there is a difference between uplifting women and bashing men. I don’t think its okay to generalize and demonize men in the way that this book does. It rea
Dannii Elle
This is the second instalment in the 'Women are Some Kind of Magic' series and I adored it every bit as much as the first. The previous volume was far more focused on the individual but this collection aims to unite women, as one body. This provides a call to action for us to burn brighter, strive harder, and ensure that we never forget the ashes of our ancestors that we were born upon.
♡ diasreads ♡
ARC provided by Netgalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing in exchange for an honest review
this is an overdue love letter to each & every woman who walked these fields before me & made the path soft enough for me to walk through and get to the side they could never reach. for that, I owe you so much. - but I owe some things to myself, too.

This is the kind of book you read every time you doubt yourself, every time you feel powerless, every time you feel like your flame is slowly dying.
Jessica
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, feminism
This is a review of the Target special edition. It has a red cover instead of the white one, a letter from the author, and bonus poems.

I was so excited to read this because I’ve been super into witches lately. However, I liked this, but I didn’t like it as much as her first collection.

This collection got a bit repetitive at some points. There were a lot of poems on burning and fire. I wish there would have been more poems about the coven aspect of witches. There was a lot she could have done w
May 舞
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-ficition
The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One did not move me as The Princess Saves Herself in This One...The only inspiration came from passages that encouraged us to be strong and to stand our ground and never give up.

Some of the passages promoting self-love that I really liked: eat. fill yourself with energy, with sunlight. treat your body to tenderness & lavender. - we need you here & whole.

it’s more than okay to wake up with the overwhelming urge to cover up all the mirrors. self-love is not an insta
Goodreads Choice ...: The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One - Sept 2019 1 75 Aug 31, 2019 01:50PM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 3 May 07, 2019 07:50PM
Play Book Tag: The Witch Doesn't Burn In This One/Amanda Lovelace - Four Stars 3 15 Jan 28, 2019 09:21AM
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 9781449489427 5 17 Nov 04, 2018 08:19AM

• Pillow Thoughts (Pillow Thoughts #1)
  • The Sun and Her Flowers
  • Love Her Wild
  • She Felt Like Feeling Nothing
  • Milk and Honey
  • The Dark Between Stars
  • Healing the Heart (Pillow Thoughts #2)
  • Whiskey, Words, and a Shovel I
  • Mending the Mind (Pillow Thoughts #3)
  • The Chaos of Longing
  • Wild Embers: Poems of Rebellion, Fire and Beauty
  • Light Filters In: Poems
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • The Truth About Magic
growing up a word-devourer & avid fairy tale lover, it was only natural that amanda lovelace began writing books of her own, & so she did. when she isn't reading or writing, she can be found waiting for pumpkin spice coffee to come back into season & binge-watching gilmore girls. (before you ask: team jess all the way). the lifelong poetess & storyteller currently lives in new jersey with her fian ...more

Women Are Some Kind of Magic (3 books)
  • The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1)
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)