Start by marking “The Book Knights” as Want to Read:

The Book Knights

When her parents are condemned to death by Morgan Fay for the crime of reading, Arti Penderhagen becomes a fugitive. Hunted by Mordred, the sadistic police captain who recites poetry to enhance his physical strength, Arti escapes to the Isle of Avalon, a sanctuary for outlaws. There she meets an old librarian named Merl who tells her about the Grail Tome, an ancient book i ...more
Published July 5th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Book Knights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book Knights

Start your review of The Book Knights
Kaya
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review copy provided by the publishers via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review. I thank them greatly!

"To Gwen, books were doorways into worlds of wonder, every work possessing its own magic, it's own reason to risk everything to visit its pages..."

Stars, I love that quote. I mean, let's be honest, if I had to choose between certain life and reading I think we all know which one comes first!

The Book Knights is an Arthurian tale, complete with all the characters you know and love. Reading
Meegy
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book to death. I don't know if this is a standalone or if it is a series. But I want to read more of Arti, Gal, Gwen, Lance and Merl.
The ending of the book left me intrigued, so I am really hoping there is more to this.
Lydia
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book is my shield. The pen is my sword. The ink is my blood.

WOW! What a great read! And immensely captivating, to say the least!

In a world where reading is forbidden, Arti and the new friends she gathers through fate and Merl's help, will try their hardest to bring back books, and save Arti's parents. Their foes? Morgan Fay, who, via a magic book, controls history - and her main lackey, Mordred, a cruel man bent on making his mistress's will done at any cost.

Honestly, I expected some kind of
Nildene
Sep 16, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish-unread
Shelves: arcs, fantasy
DNF at 31%

I tried to enjoy this book, but as I continued to read, I was unimpressed with the lack of intrigue the whole book had. I love the idea of retellings, but an Arthurian retelling with a dystopian twist just came across poorly. Nothing really fit, and I just couldn't continue without interest in it.

Unfortunately, because of my uninterest in the story as a whole, I couldn't push myself to a halfway point.

I guess the characters were okay – I didn't finish this book but the writing was goo
Hélène Louise
(I thank Netgalley and NetGalley Co-Op for sending me the ARC in exchange for my honest review)

I didn't like much this book, but can't advise anyone against reading it, as it's clearly a case of "it's not you it's me".
The general idea is very good and should have been entertaining, but alas I was bored, finding difficult to read on, and stopped at 30% (as a rule I always try to push till the third of a book before deciding to give it up).
The characters are nice, but very classic, quite generic.
Rachelle (RavenclawRachelle)
2.5 Stars

I received this book for free from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The second I saw gender-bent King Arthur retelling revolving around books, I knew I wanted to read that story.

I found the magic system and the added element the written words power to be intriguing however I thought other aspects could use a little more polishing.

If you have any familiarity with the King Arthur legend you can see the direction certain relationships will take or
Melindam
May 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-by-netgalley
An Arthurian retelling with a dystopian twist and some gender swap.

There were times where I struggled to go on and to finish this book, not because it was badly written per se, rather because I am not the target group for it. I may have enjoyed it more as a child.

The idea was rather intriguing, but quite superficial for me as an adult.

ARC provided by Netgalley for an honest review.
Lauren Stoolfire
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I always have to appreciate bookish stories. If you're interested in Arthurian legends and enjoyed the movie The Kid Who Would Be King, I have a feeling you'll enjoy McKenney's take on the classic legends.
Natalie panda eyes
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recieved from Netgalley. I like the simplicity of the cover artwork and how authentic it would feel. I was already in love with this book from reading the blurb. It’s a tough challenge to take on something that already exists and make it your own, but this was done perfectly.

The flow of the story was effortless, old legends rebuilt in a new and intriguing world. Number one place I wouldn’t want to go. No reading or writing? Burning books? Such a cruel world. It’s a story of adventure, magic and
Veselina
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks for this book given by Netgalley and the publishers for a read just to give my honest opinion.
It is one hell of a book.
The beginning of it is heart breaking for every book dragon like be/I can't call myself bookworm/. I won't reveal what it is exactly. You have to find for yourself.
The main idea of the book is soooo true. Words can change this world and there is people that want you to be ignorant and not to be a but read. You can say so much more just with words that by images.
So I don
Kate (BloggingwithDragons)
I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

I really liked the premise of the The Book Knights—Fahrenheit 451 meets Arthurian legend.  As a massive book nerd, The Book Knights was a dream to read, it offers a secret order of librarians, Grail Tomes, word fighting, and magical pens that rewrite the future. But while I really enjoyed the premise of the novel, I felt th
Jessica
Where to begin with this review? I won't deny that I had high expectations for The Book Knights. The fact that this story promised to merge together a dystopian world where readers are banned, and Arthurian legend, had me really excited. Can I please profess that I secretly loved every second a new character was introduced in this story? Their names were perfection and, set against the backdrop that McKenney created for them, they had me in their thrall. I was ready for an adventure, and I defin ...more
Carrie Dooy
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of The Book Knights from Net Galley and have to say, I absolutely loved it!

It is a King Arthur retelling, which took me longer to realise than I care to admit! However once I did realise everything clicked into place.

It follows our main character Arti, who’s parents are arrested for being readers and for having a hidden collection of books, which in this world is completely punishable. Arti goes on the run and meets Gal, a young street smart girl. And together, along with some
Grace
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: solid, ya, fantasy
Fahrenheit 451 AU of the King Arthur story.

The cover art for this is fabulous. The book itself is very... odd. The setting, this type of modern-but-not-modern Fahrenheit 451 dystopia, is very strange, and I never fully understood the world. They talk about different countries and other places, but both Morgan Fay's realm and "the Isle" seem about the size of Manhattan. Yet, somehow the fate of the world hangs in the balance? Why does the Grail Tome care if Morgan Fay is burning all the books in
Lauren Reads
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The introduction to this books world broke me and I do not ever wish to ever travel to this world at that time. The beautifully descriptive writing makes this world an easy to imagine and makes the opening that much harder hitting (no spoilers!). But reading is a crime in this world! (not a spoiler)

The Book Knights is an Arthurian tale with all the characters you know and love with wonderfully inventive name play (the myths and legends geek in me laughed and loved them). The story was effortles
Arthurianmaiden
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Book Knights is a surprisingly good and cute (and small) book. I say surprisingly mostly because I haven't read good new arthurian books in ages, so that's on me, not on the novel.

The Book Knights is a dystopia (it gave me shadowrun vibes) where Morgan le Fay rules (through her Corporation) over the world, banishing writing and reading, destroying books through fire. Arti (the clear king Arthur character) is a young girl who has to run away from her home when her parents are jailed for posse
Reading Robyn
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sophia Belle
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Set in a fictional world, this book has an extraordinary journey to offer to it's readers. The is like a spell that keeps you bound to it. The marvelous and fictional world created by the writer is definitely a treat for the readers. The book is well written- describing even the tiniest of the tiniest details. Character building, which is one of the strong and important points about the book, has been up to the mark. I strongly recommend this book to all the readers who want some fantasy, some Y ...more
Jan farnworth
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always been drawn to stories where being a reader, owning books, or being smarter then you should be are things that are banned or illegal in the land where the stories take place. I also loved the story of Merlin it a rich classic fantasy story. When i saw the chance to review a story that had both elements forbidden books and knights of the round table i quickly signed up. I was not disappointed in the least from the first page to the last i was drawn into this interesting dynamic of a world ...more
Kat
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
#NetGalley #TheBookKnights #MustReadYA/Tween
The Book Knights is a fantastic novel for anyone. If you love the magic of reading and how books made you feel as a kid then this book is for you! Arti, the main character, is well written and a great hero of the story. I feel the appeal of wizards, knights, and friends can be ageless. Plus, I just looked at the price and its well worth it for your kindle! It's a steal!
R.K. Emery
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
JG McKenney has written an imaginative and descriptive novel that does a great job of pulling the reader into the world he has created.

The flow of the novel was well executed and everything as far as pacing went felt smooth.

I enjoyed getting to know the characters both primary and secondary. They all felt like they had their own purpose and had depth that made me care about them.

A wonderful Young Adult Fantasy novel!
Francesca
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review*

This book is a retelling of the Arthurian legends with a spin, and the spin is books and the written word.
I feel this novel is too short. I'd like to explain more: the plot and the characters are compelling and I like how the Arthurian legend is retold and shaped to fit the story more, but they should be more developed and fledged. Also, the worldbuilding is practically non-existing.
D.P. Mendes-Kelly
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A highly original book that takes the Arthurian lagends and characters and transfer them into a futuristic city. We have Arti, Gal, Merl, Lance, Morgan Fay, Mordred etc. The myths are adapted into a fine tale of a book burining authoritarian society reminiscemt of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451.

It's a well written cliche-free page-turner. Well worth a read. Give it a try.
April
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story of adventure with magic, friendship and great characters. I love how the author reinvented old legends, which made for a very interesting and enjoyable read. The writing was great and the characters were generally all good with my favourite character being Mordred.
Overall I highly recommend this book and although it was wrapped up well I still wish for another.
NarniaGirl
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received through GoodReads First Reads for reviewing - thank you.

Really enjoyed this. A different take on the Arthurian Tales in the modern world but with corresponding characters.
C. Gonzales
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Fantasy to the extreme. There is not a lack of imagination used by JG McKenney in writing this story. I was blown away by the sheer detail used in bringing the reader into the magical world he has created.

I loved the pacing in this story, the plot flowed smoothly. It felt very believable and steady. The characters were plenty and well developed. Nothing felt too rushed or over the top, which I appreciated.

Definitely a great Fantasy read!
Nikki
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I first stumbled across this story as part of Kindle Scout. I was VERY disappointed when it wasn't chosen to be published because the premise of the story was massively intriguing. Thankfully, the author made it available on Kindle for free as a way of thanking those who nominated it.

I am in LOVE with this story. Sometimes an author has a really great concept but the writing doesn't live up to what the story should be. That is NOT the case with The Book Knights. I want the right people to get t
Justine
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Book Knights by J.G. McKenney is a reimagining of the classic Arthurian tale. Readers meet familiar and beloved characters in a world where reading is banned. Join Arti Penderhagen as she ventures off into a world of danger and magic in order to try and save her family.

Bad or good, I will always read anything that has to do with the legend of King Arthur. After seeing the description of the novel I was intrigued and far from disappointed after I finished reading it. The only issue I really
KatsCauldron
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Arthurian Fantasy
by J.G. McKenney
Victory Editing NetGalley Co-Op
Sci Fi & Fantasy , Teens & YA

This was a delightful modern young adult take on an old tale rewritten by Malory in 1485 with the most patriarchal slant imaginable. I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend to anyone fr an enjoyable evening or so with a story. At the same time, there is an underlying theme that strikes close to the current situation we are facing in society that is a new form of dark ages In
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Apartment
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • Bookish and the Beast (Once Upon a Con, #3)
  • Dragon Mated (Supernatural Prison, #3)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Truths I Never Told You
  • The Henna Artist
  • Kings of Lockdown (Brutal Boys of Everlake Prep, #2)
  • Midnight Jewel (The Glittering Court, #2)
  • Kings of Anarchy (Brutal Boys of Everlake Prep #3)
  • The Angel of the Crows
  • This Is How I Lied
  • The Emerald Sea (The Glittering Court #3)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Sword and Pen (The Great Library, #5)
  • Smash It! (Smash It! #1)
  • Dear Haiti, Love Alaine
  • Ruthless Magic (Conspiracy of Magic, #1)
For EON'S DOOR, J.G. (John) McKenney received the 2012 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Award, and was also a finalist for the Eric Hoffer Award. THE BOOK KNIGHTS, an exciting new Arthurian fantasy adventure, is available now.