Start by marking “Pathways to Bliss: Mythology and Personal Transformation” as Want to Read:
Pathways to Bliss: Mythology and Personal Transformation

Pathways to Bliss: Mythology and Personal Transformation

Joseph Campbell famously defined myth as “other people's religion.” But he also said that one of the basic functions of myth is to help each individual through the journey of life, providing a sort of travel guide or map to reach fulfillment — or, as he called it, bliss. For Campbell, many of the world's most powerful myths support the individual's heroic path toward bliss ...more
Published October 26th 2004 by New World Library (first published 2004)

Start your review of Pathways to Bliss: Mythology and Personal Transformation
Bharath
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first came across the concept of Joseph Campbell’s “The Hero’s Journey” many years back and found it fascinating. I subsequently read ‘A Hero with a thousand faces’ and found it a difficult read with it’s references to cultures worldwide since ages. And yet, even then, Joseph Campbell’s intellect and wisdom was apparent. I subsequently read more of his work and each work had important learnings about life. I could better relate to my earlier readings of his work over time. This book is assembl ...more
Allan Groves
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Classic Joseph Campbell at his best. Pathways to Bliss is a collection of lectures, interviews, and seminars that Campbell gave between 1962 and 1983. If you've read Joseph Campbell before, then this book may seem redundant at parts, but for those of us who could use a little reminding and repetition it's good to hear some of the same stories and points that Joseph Campbell is so well known for.

Some of my favorite ideas I'll list below:

A myth isn't a lie... a myth points past itself to somethi
Brian Johnson
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
“There are something like 18 billion cells in the brain alone. There are no two brains alike; there are no two hands alike; there are no two human beings alike. You can take your instructions and your guidance from others, but you must find your own path.”

“The basic story of the hero journey involves giving up where you are, going into the realm of adventure, coming to some kind of symbolically rendered realization, and then returning to the field of normal life.”

“The scientist knows that at an
Hayley
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In a parallel universe, Joseph Campbell is my wise grandfather and favorite adviser (I think we can assume that Campbell is "alive" for the sake of fantasy here), Bill Moyers is my favorite old uncle, and all of us frolic around Skywalker Ranch on long holiday weekends with their BFF, George Lucas, whilst we wax poetic on mythography and the true meaning of Yoda.

In this universe, I have this lovely book, a compilation of Campbell's lectures and papers published posthumously by by the Joseph Camp
Cheryl
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I generally enjoy topics that span across multiple academic areas, like linguistics and anthropology or literature and history, so this collection of Joseph Campbell's lectures tickled lots of neurons at once: the ones interested in mythology, as well as those interested in psychology, philosophy, theology, and even a smattering of literature too. Although the title may scare some people away as being a little too new agey/preachy/self helpy, I hope those people take a second look, because it's ...more
Magdi
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"Pathways to bliss" is a must-read for every open-minded person, who is interested in mythology and religions.

After reading this book you will not only unterstand yourself better, but also see other persons from a different perspective. One of the greatest things - and still relevant today - is Campbells approach toward heroines. People tend to forget, that Campbells lectures and books are as valid for women as they are for men.

No matter if its washing dishes, writing book-reviews, reading, br
Teri Temme
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simply FANTASTIC. A few of my favorite lines from the book:

You enter the forest at the darkest point, where there is no path. Where there is a way or path, it is someone else's path; each human being is a unique phenomenon. The idea is to find your own pathway to bliss.

You must have the courage of your own belief and leave it to somebody else to verify your authority for him or herself.

That is what is given to you - one life to live. Marx teaches us to blame the society for our frailties; Freud
David Melbie
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Seekers!
Recommended to David by: I'm a big fan.
The ninth book in the ongoing series, The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell, this is the one that focuses on my favorite Campbellism: Follow your bliss.

More importantly, this book gathers together all of his lectures that talked abut the pathway to bliss.

As always, after reading Campbell, I feel a renewed vigor and drive to get back onto the pathway. . .--From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Richard
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
The introduction and first chapter about bliss were....blissful - really, sublime. The two chapters on Jung and developing one's own personal myth were....my own story, my own thoughts put into words. Campbell's thoughts really are an extention of Jung's - his conclusions brought to their ultimate destination. A very good read for those interested in "getting into Campbell-ian and Jungian thought. Highly reccomended."
Joe
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love Joseph Campbell books. My mom was nice enough to let me steal this book from her even though she was less than half way through it. I love moms.
I think his stuff is a great tool from something we have been losing touch with for a long time, at an exponentially increasing rate. When the modern world has you lost, pick up a campbell book.
Kevin Orth
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've become fascinated with the genre of mythology and it's sister topics - world religion and depth psychology. this is a wonderful read to that end. I highly encourage anyone interested in this topic to explore any and all writing by Joseph Campbell. This being a relatively easy one to get through. Starting Hero With a Thousand Faces now and finding it much more dense.
Barbara Roma
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you're a lost and don't know nothing about your life, you don't believe in religion and urge to find out more about you...
You definitely must read this book!
This is not a esoteric book, it's about how myth were used to help us understand our lives ages ago and how it can be used again.
Amazing!
Lauren Davis
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A series of lectures by Campbell on the power of myth for personal transformation. Easy to read, lots to inspire. For many already acquainted with the world of Jung and Campbell and mythological studies, this may not seem deep enough, compared to other books by Campbell, but it's a terrific introduction and refresher.
Kent Winward
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythology
A refresher course on the missive I received early in my life from Campbell: "Follow your bliss." The pursuit of bliss becomes vital as you realize that "eternity is not a long time."

A closing quote:

"You've got to find the wisdom, not the clothing of it. Through those trappings, the myths of other cultures, you can come to a wisdom that you've then got to translate into your own. The whole problem is to turn these mythologies into your own. . . . Some have a harder time mythologizing than other
CAC
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great

A fantastic introduction to Campbell. It is a collection of speeches he gave later in his life, between his 50s and 70s. The book focuses loosely how to interpret and understand one's own personal mythology...basically making sense of life. Campbell's topics range from Freud to Maslow to Jung (he is a Jung scholar) and their interpretation of the self and what drives the self (Freud, sex; Adler, power; Jung, both) as well as his opinion of how mythology has evolved (devolved?) over time, as re
Susan Gabriel
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Joseph Campbell has left behind a rich legacy in his books, and a body of work that continues to enrich the lives of readers. As a novelist, I can only hope that I leave behind a fraction of what he did. This book is good for someone who has never even heard of Joseph Campbell, as well as those who want to revisit his contribution to the Greater Story of who we are as humans.
Author of The Secret Sense of Wildflower (southern/historical/coming-of-age)
(Kirkus Reviews- starred review- and a Best B
Sarah Rae
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent synthesis of many of Joseph Campbell's recurring themes, a good collection of lectures, very approachable. I would also recommend "Power of Myth" for this reason. The last entry is in a discussion format from one of his lecu lectures ures and they discuss the lack of a female "Hero's Journey" that would paralel the male journey- the conversation doesn't really leave you with any encouraging bits on the matter and presents childbirth and rearing as a primary paralel to the male journey ...more
Andrea Paterson
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An extraordinary book. Campbell presents a compelling and subtle argument about the importance of personal myth in a world where the major world religions have lost their relevance. With one foot firmly rooted in Jungian psychology and the other in the world of comparative mythology Campbell takes readers on a tour of dreams, images, symbols, and the heroic quest. His message struck a very deep chord, but there is too much packed into this book to explicate here. I suggest you read this one--and ...more
Anna Banana
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Through the exchange of stories/myths, Campbell suggests, we can discover an understanding of the universal symbols at work in the universe. We can then use these symbols to better understand our purpose as participants in and products of that universe.

I stumbled onto this book in the library in my hometown during a major transition in my life. No other book has shaped my thinking more.
Matthew
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This might be my single, favorite book.

Wide-ranging, Joseph Campbell seeks to tackle the basic questions of direction, purpose and satisfaction in life, all in this one, relatively short volume. I come back to this again, and again. The imagery and truth I've found in it is incredible and beautiful.
Lacy
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In my mind, Joseph Campbell was one of the greatest thinkers of the 20th century. This book is a selection of his lectures and dialogues. Reading it was entirely transformative--as in, I could almost physically feel my brain expanding. I'll have to give it another few dozen reads before I really begin to understand what he's saying but that's how compelled I am to understanding his work.
Anthony
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing

A life-changing read. This isn't Campbell's magnum opus, but this book puts the purpose of life, religion and the mythic path under glaring illumination. Still, Campbell's wit and gentle prose is enough to "hold the reader's hand" as he leads him down the path to enlightenment.
Peter Caputo
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythology
Joseph Campbell. Need I say more?
Fox
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Joseph Campbell is a favorite of mine.

Something about Campbell speaks to me on a deep, deep level. Reading him is like a revelation every time. The layers are peeled back, and myths and folklore come to life in the modern day. We're all on our own grail quest, Campbell writes, and each one of us must slay our own dragon. Pathways to Bliss is telling the same story The Hero With a Thousand Faces tells. Naturally. The monomyth is laid bare in this series of lectures, along with how it is benefi
Drew
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelves, 2018
After getting started with this book over the first day or so, I stayed up late and read half of it in one sitting, then finished the other half over the next couple days. Weird dreams followed. Reflections on life happened. So suffice it to say I enjoyed this a lot.

Pathways to Bliss talks about applying the metaphors in myths to a personal journey. After all, many myths were meant as metaphors for navigating stages of life or aligning with the transcendent (whatever that might mean for you pers
Angell Johnson
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Joseph Campbell’s work never ceases to amaze me. I could listen to him talk for hours upon hours and never get bored, and that’s always been the quality of his books.
Zach
As Joseph Campbell loves to remind his regular readers, choosing a place where there is no path is the purest and best way to begin your adventure as well as your pathway to Bliss, which are really the same -- depending on where you're at.

However, as he also likes to regularly remind his readers, there is no safety in choosing a path and beginning an adventure, though there will be help.

This book allows  readers further ways to understand and choose their own path. For my  part, this is never
Cy
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
I had to read this book for class. I mention because I believe it's important to know the motivation for reading a book, how you came to meet it, for lack of a better description. My personal bookshelf is filled with a lot of various myths, but not many personal psychological empowerment.

What Campbell does well, he does very very well. His cross-cultural comparison of myth and societal interpretations of myth was phenomomenal. He teases out some universal themes that can be found across a wide
K
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Campbell's exploration of Jung with mythological examples in this work - the annmia, animos, and the enantrodromia - the opposites within ourselves, relationships and society. There are a lot of similar concepts in this work with "Myths to Live By" with more of a focus on marriage and personal actualization in context of various roles/constructs.

In other words, I don't know the secret to life but I see some patterns in folk tales - maybe they are all pointing to the same innate symbols w
Kate
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you have a particular interest in how cultural mythologies and religion influence and reflect both our collective conscience and individual psychology, this is a book you'll want to read. It begins with a look at the geo-political spread and divisions of world religions, with particular consideration given to what the effect is on a society of either eliminating the feminine aspects of the divine or reassigning them to a singular, masculine figure. It ends with a transcription of a Q&A that e ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
  • Self-Reliance and Other Essays
  • The Sacred and the Profane: The Nature of Religion
  • The Quest of the Holy Grail
  • The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (Collected Works 9i)
  • Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment
  • A History of Religious Ideas 1: From the Stone Age to the Eleusinian Mysteries
  • Civilization and Its Discontents
  • Out of the Woods
  • Eight Pillars of Prosperity
  • Dirty Sugar Cookies: Culinary Observations, Questionable Taste
Joseph Campbell was an American author and teacher best known for his work in the field of comparative mythology. He was born in New York City in 1904, and from early childhood he became interested in mythology. He loved to read books about American Indian cultures, and frequently visited the American Museum of Natural History in New York, where he was fascinated by the museum's collection of tote ...more

News & Interviews

“All life stinks and you must embrace that with compassion.” 64 likes
“Revolution doesn't have to do with smashing something; it has to do with bringing something forth. If you spend all your time thinking about that which you are attacking, then you are negatively bound to it. You have to find the zeal in yourself and bring that out.” 23 likes