Start by marking “The Letting Go” as Want to Read:
The Letting Go

The Letting Go

Everyone Emily has ever loved has been brutally murdered. The killer has never been caught, but Emily knows who’s responsible.

She is.

It’s the only possible explanation. Emily is the one thing all the victims have in common, which can only mean that someone—or something—is killing them to make her suffer.

Determined never to subject another person to the same horrible fate a
Kindle Edition
Published July 3rd 2018 by Sky Pony Press

To ask other readers questions about The Letting Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Letting Go

Start your review of The Letting Go
USOM
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this free book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

The ominous thriller tone is established from the very beginning. This undercurrent pulls you along the whole story, making you need to figure out who the killer is. The premise along gets you, but what ended up keeping me was the character of Emily. Emily is entirely intriguing because while the struggles of Emily are unique, the challenges she deals with are also universal -
Carolyn
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I did NOT receive a copy for in exchange for a review. I paid full price and preordered this book the day I knew it was going to be sold on Amazon because I have been a huge fan of the author’s writing since she published Secular Homeschooling Magazine almost a decade ago. So my disclaimer is nothing more than an assurance that this review is fair and factual.

So, did the reality of this novel meet my admittedly quite high expectation? Without a doubt. Witty, sharp, intelligent writin
Alisa Ellie
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-2018
"The end would be as easy as letting go."

In spite of gloomy and tragic circumstances of the story, the author managed to trick my mood and emotions with a smart narration style. It's not abstruse but still made me ponder over the same sentence again and again. The language is catchy and involving. The book is easy to read, but it still keeps me company and makes me feel passionate about it every day more and more.

I liked the characters very much. They appeared to be loving and of a big heart
Jaymie
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This was not a good fit for me. There wasn't enough suspense throughout the story - only at the end. The first section/"chapter" went on for ages, jumped around in time, and didn't seem to be going anywhere related to the plot of a girl who seems targeted by a murderer killing everyone she gets close to. I was disappointed in this one.
Mandi Schneck
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so unique and different, and I had no idea I would enjoy it as much as I did when I decided to read it. The Letting Go by Deborah Markus is a thought provoking story about a girl who believes she is not allowed to have anyone or anything she loves.

Emily is a loner, not because she wants to be, but because she has to be. You see, everyone (and everything-pets included), that she loves, is brutally murdered. Emily has finally figured out the rules: don't get too close to any living th
Lisa Bentley
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
The Letting Go is a campus novel. Our protagonist, Emily, has an obsession with Emily Dickinson – who history has recorded as having an obsession with death – much like our protagonist, Emily. Confused?

I really thought I would enjoy The Letting Go. Yes, I bought it on the strength of the book cover – an act that has burned me many times before. However, the story is told in a really disorienting choppy way that made me feel like I couldn’t keep up with what was going on. When the main dramatic m
Melissa
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Way too much exposition about Emily Dickinson's life, not nearly enough exposition about Emily The Main Character's Life. I think the diary style does this book a great disservice, because we only get to know what our main character feels like writing about and she is certainly not forthcoming. There are odd jumps forward in time with no explanation until later on, and the entire second part is a jumble of several weeks to months worth of memories in no particular order. Getting the happy ending ...more
Jen
May 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Emily's mother was murdered when she was young. She's now spending her days in boarding school, focused on her love of Emily Dickinson. She just wants to lose herself in Dickinson's writing and be left alone. But, when a corpse appears on the steps of the school and a new girl insists on becoming Emily's friend, she finds that she can't stay apart any longer.

I had a really hard time with this book. Emily was boring and her obsession with Dickinson was annoying. The fact that her family was murde
Tiffany ✨
The writing style was meh and none of the characters really blow me away. This book was a real struggle for me to get through because I was really bored. The second half of the book was better but it wasn't enough to keep me interested.

Emily was a boring protagonist and her obsession with Emily Dickinson got annoying after a while but what disappointed me the most was the fact that there was no mystery in the book until the very end. The plot twist felt random and had no buildup. The best part
Jennifer Gargiulo
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had a real tough time with this book. It took me probably 25-30 pages to realize it was written in diary format, and it was extremely slow to get into otherwise. I was expecting suspense all the way through, and I just didn't get that. I also wish that I knew more about Emily's history from the beginning, because not knowing details made it difficult for me to like her as a character.
emily | wiickedreads
There are some small spoilers in this review but not enough for me to want to mark it as spoilers. Read at own risk!

This book was such a pleasant surprise for me. We all know I have a habit of not reading the synopsis of a book before I read therefore having no idea what I’m getting into while I’m reading. Personally, I kind of like it that way. I like the surprise and being able to try and guess what’s going on without having any prior information.

That wasn’t this case with this. I did read the
Pip
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A friend of mine really loved this book so I thought I would read it. I had really high expectations for it going in and was excited since it seemed like a murder book. It turns out this book is not really a murder book at all. There was some talk of murder in the beginning and end but nothing like promised in the description.
Some things I liked about the book were the setting, the historical elements, the flashbacks to the childhood of the main character, and obviously the cover. This
Luke Nappa
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Emily Stone's life was chaos. Someone was brutally murdering anyone who got too attached to her. Her life was uprooted after a string of murders and she's been relocated to a boarding school for creative, artistic minds. That was the premise basically laid out in the first few chapters of the book. I was fairly interested at that point, hoping for a fascinating struggle about this girl figuring out who's behind these murders.

However, part 1 (Notebook 1) is basically her struggling to stay isola
Darryl
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ny comments are purely my personal reaction. Others may love this book. I didn't. The premise is very good and very intriguing. But this was literary fiction of the most excruciating type. The book was almost completely character driven. Plot wise, very little actually happened. The actual prose was well written, but the presentation was extremely disjointed. This seems to have been deliberate. This device is used very effectively in some books. Here it was in my view totally overdone and more f ...more
Karen Guenther
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked the premise of the book. It started well enough, but I quickly grew tired of the bits and pieces of Emily Dickenson's work. The pace of reading the book was slowed down because of it. I was more than happy when the narrator wrote that she would be telling the story in her own words. I enjoyed the story in the end. I would not re-read the book and would recommend it to someone if they truly enjoyed classic American poets.
meheadhurts
Nov 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020, ya
Loved the premise, and it was interesting learning more about Emily Dickinson, (and Saint Lucy!) First quarter was great, then it started to feel repetitive, and dragged a bit. Narrative seemed to jump around a bit in the latter quarter of the book, not sure if that was intentional, as a nod to E.Dickinson?
Jean
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The novel is written as Emily's diary, mostly in little shortish entries that begin with a line of poetry from Emily Dickinson. It can get really broken up, especially as Emily gets more distressed, so it's important to pay attention, but it's always possible to figure things out, even if it takes a little while. I was wondering how the mystery could possibly be resolved, and the suspense is pretty terrific, but it does become clear and has a satisfying conclusion. I thought it all came together ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
This is one of the worst executions of a plot I’ve ever read, including the format of the story. Additionally the narrator/main character vacillates between martyrdom and meanness, using the excuse of people around her being murdered. Anything else I say would be piling on.
kelsey
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF because it was SO slow, but skimmed because it had potential.

Loved the setting and the Emily Dickinson info. Didn’t love the general plot or the aggressive love interest - being a girl pursuing a girl doesn’t make it okay to be so PUSHY and make someone uncomfortable.
LJ
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The ending was a bit anticlimactic but overall it was a good read
Kathleen
Oct 18, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
Lexi Thyme
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautiful writing, interesting story.
sandy
Aug 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2019
uhhh this book was awful. literally nothing happened ??, ever??? the main character is annoying and whiny and literally 300 pages is just her walking around complaining and whining which. i get it. everyone u have ever loved has been murdered and u r afraid of getting close to anyone bc of that but this !! IS SIPPOSED TO BE A MYSTERY AND THERE IS NONE OF THAT. the killers reveal is so anticlimactic and the motive made absolutely no sense. it sounded like something i would have written in 4th gra ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
3.5 stars, rounded up.

I don't really know what to say about this. I enjoyed it, but I honestly can't say it left a huge impression on me. This book is part murder-mystery and I really didn't feel like that was wrapped up particularly well. The f/f romance (Emily is a lesbian) is okay, but there was something about it that I found kind of lacking; it just didn't have that spark.

The whole time reading this I couldn't help but think of that quote from Wide Sargasso Sea : "names are important".
Diny

• What I Leave Behind
  • Husband Material
  • Remember Me
  • Ghosts of Harvard
  • Apple Cider Slaying (A Cider Shop Mystery #1)
  • The Janes (Alice Vega, #2)
  • The Similars (The Similars, #1)
  • Pulp Friction (A Cider Shop Mystery #2)
  • The Roommate (Cormac Reilly, #.7)
  • The Simplicity of Cider
  • The Haunting of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl, #1)
  • I Know You Remember