Start by marking “I'm Not Missing” as Want to Read:
I'm Not Missing

I'm Not Missing

When Miranda Black’s mother abandoned her, she took everything—the sun, moon, and stars—and Miranda found shelter in her friendship with Syd, who wore her own motherlessness like a badge of honor: Our mothers abandoned us. We won’t go begging for scraps.

When Syd runs away suddenly and inexplicably in the middle of their senior year, Miranda is abandoned once again, left to
Published July 10th 2018 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about I'm Not Missing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Not Missing

Berit☀️✨
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, net-galley
I’m gone, I’m not missing.

This was a compelling story about Miranda’s search for her best friend and in doing so finding herself... A heartwarming and heartbreaking story full of friendship, family, and love....We really had a comprehensive look at love in this book, familial love, platonic love, romantic love, and first love... A beautiful romance wrapped up in a mystery with the perfect drizzling of family on top!

Miranda and Sid are BFFs a friendship built on the fact that they both have lo
Weezie
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Oh my god. OH. MY. GOD. I am so deeply in love with this book. I'll have a full review closer to pub date but this is the PERFECT book for anyone who has had their heart broken by a best friend or fell (embarrassingly) in love with their crush. I am in awe.
Samantha (WLABB)
After a display of bizarre behavior, Miranda's best friend, Syd, disappeared.
"I'm not missing. I'm gone."

This was the note Syd left for her father, but it was a crushing blow to Miranda, who was already dealing with prior desertions. Syd was her guide, her best friend, and supporter, and now Miranda was left to navigate the world without her.

This was such a beautiful story of love: platonic love between best friends, familial love, and first love.

The friendship between Syd and Miranda was built
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
DNF (skimmed to the end)

For me to enjoy a story with friendship as a central theme, I have to buy into the plausibility of the friendship. Aside from both girls having been abandoned by their mothers, I saw no affinity between Miranda and Syd. Miranda’s narration told of camaraderie, but it was never shown. All I could feel was that Miranda was lucky to be rid of Sydney after Syd ran away.

The positive aspects of the story were race, especially when Miranda, who resembled her Mexican mother, was
Julie
I devoured the second half of this book and I can't stop thinking about it. The conversations around grief and friendship and agency this book inspires are just. Remarkable. I loved it so much.
Karen
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5. I LOVED
Lauren
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“How many times would my father save my life without even knowing it?”

The relationship between Miranda and her father was so beautiful, it was truly the driving force of this wonderful book. I loved every minute and recommend it to everyone!
Elsa
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was... a lot for me. I absolutely loved it. Even though it centered on Miranda's relationships with Sydney and Nick, the aspect that really did it for me was the emphasis on and focus given to her relationship with her father. Without getting too into it, both Miranda and I lost our mothers- not lost as in she died, but lost as in she became lost to us. To see that sort of experience reflected so accurately and in such a raw way affected me much more than I expected. Insofar as her dad ...more
Abbi
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“i tried to find a place for this new pain, this brand-new baby grief, but there was nowhere to put it. i’d just have to carry it.”

WOWEEEE. i read this in less than 24 hours and finished it while both laughing and crying. gorgeous, layered, hilarious, and touching. as much as i adored the love story (and i really, really did) the true love story was miranda and her dad. i have never read a better depiction of a parent/child relationship. (her dad...is my dream man???) this is an absolute knocko
Reggie Virus
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GODDDDDD! Loved loved loved this!!! I want to know more about Miranda and Nick but I’m happy with what happened. I do wish we knew where and how her mom was doing. I love how she has her dad and how chill he is. I honestly wasn’t expecting to like this as much as I did and I only picked it up because of the cover, but I’m so glad I did.
Alexa
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Carrie Fountain's I'm Not Missing explores the life of a young woman in the wake of her best friend's disappearance. The protagonist, Miranda, comes to find herself as she deals with new love, lack of a mother, relationships with her family, religion, and choices about her future.

One of the novel's highest points is the believable and smooth dialogue between characters and the overall tone of Miranda as the narrative voice. I find that one of the potholes that adult authors tend to encounter wh
Jillyn
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I was absolutely blown away by this book. I was shocked to learn that this is Carrie Fountain's first novel. It's beautiful, haunting, and just straight up well written.

However, I definitely wasn't surprised to learn that her first two publications are books of poetry. It's clear that Fountain has a way with words. The way that the writing flows is beautiful. It's a bit slow paced, but I liked that. This book is set in the desert area of the US, so for me the tempo of the writing matched the slo
Michelle Lecumberry
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
MY REVIEW:

I'm Not Missing is a novel about a girl named Miranda whose best friend abruptly cuts off contact and skips town in the middle of their senior year of high school. It’s a story all about change and how to adapt to it.

The story was just beautifully written. Carrie Fountain is not afraid to talk about serious topics. It grips you from the start and it’s so captivating.

Miranda, the main character was completely relatable, I understood every decision she was making and where she was comin
Katherine
I’m not really sure how I feel about this one. I don’t really like contemporaries- especially YA ones- because they all too often focus on meaningless drama that I find hard to relate to. However, I thought it would be safe to give this one a try because it sounded more like a mystery laced with honest reflections on life, as our main heroine tries to forge her own path outside the shadow of her missing mother and best friend. What it turned out to be was a high school teen drama, complete with ...more
Kaitlyn Popielarz
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I usually don't give up on a book, however i could not get myself to finish this one. I attempted to read it for almost a month and got 50% of the way through the book and could not force myself to keep reading it. The plot is very slow moving and uninteresting. The plot just didn't grab me the way i had expected it to based on the synopsis. Maybe i would feel differently if i finished the book, and maybe one day i will. But for now i give it two stars base on the first half of the book.
Beaktweets
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this young adult fiction- it felt so true to the struggles and inter-dialogue I had as a teenager without being overdone or too frustrating as I often find young adult fiction to feel. I loved Miranda, her relationship with her dad and her love of Syd, in spite of Syd’s shortcomings.
Mwinchester97
Mar 10, 2019 added it
Shelves: own-f
What will she discover about herself when her best friend goes missing?

Her mother left her with nothing, so Miranda took refuge in Syd, another young woman who is also missing her mother. This is the basis of their friendship. After being in each other's lives for almost as long as they can remember, Syd suddenly disappeared. Miranda was left alone to try to figure out where Syd went. As her search for Syd went on Miranda found much more than she ever expected, including a relationship with her
Brittany | thebookishfiiasco
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
i just finished this lovely YA read by carrie fountain and 😭😍👏🏻 it was wonderful. thank you, @flatiron_books for sending this one my way.
this book is full of wonderful coming-of-age realness, complex family relationships, difficult life decisions, grief, loss, challenging, but deep friendships. it packed a great punch, and had me experiencing all the feels. the story is so multi-faceted that it keeps you hooked and engaged, throughout.
the real kicker, for me, which i think will be different fo
Kathy
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listened to audiobook.
Barbara Bryan
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The right book at the right time. No slavery, Holocaust or Internment camps. First love HS style, with likeable engaging characters. Syd and Miranda are best friends. Miranda crushes Nick. Syd runs away from home.
“ I want to climb inside your body and sleep.”
Molly
I'd never read any of Carrie Fountain's work previously, but once I saw that she was a poet writing a young adult novel, my interest was immediately piqued -- and Flatiron Books has yet to publish something I don't like. This was no exception.

Best friends Syd and Miranda share a particular, specific bond: their mothers are wholly absent from their lives, by choice. The two senior high school students "adopted" each other early on and have what seems to be an unshakeable friendship -- that is, up
Jamie Woodward
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this extra since it’s set in my college town.
Sam
Sep 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Honestly, I didn't finish this book because I couldn't get with the characters and agree with them or anything. I felt no pity for them and I honestly thought they were all whiny and annoying. I got to the middle of the book and was ready for it to be done.
Ariel
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
(I received an ARC of this book as a Goodreads Giveaway).

I'm Not Missing is a YA novel about a girl named Miranda whose best friend abruptly cuts off contact and skips town in the middle of their senior year of high school. It's a story about adjusting to changes, especially ones that occur within the context of our most important relationships--from best friends and prom dates to parents and family.

I found the novel's premise refreshing, mostly because I think platonic relationships - what they
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is great YA. I would have loved reading it as a teen. Underneath it all, it's a straightforward drama about being true to yourself in spite of the chaos around you. The plot has a mysterious element, as the main character's best friend vanishes abruptly and seemingly intentionally. This abandonment mirrors others, both minor and major, in the main character's life. There's a fantastic romance here, a terrific discussion of the value of family, with the "mystery" carrying the plot along.

I'd
Sarah Ames-Foley
You can also find this review on my blog.

cw: underage drinking, consensual sex, sexual assault
disclaimer: I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for review consideration. All of the opinions presented below are my own.

I’m Not Missing is a beautiful contemporary YA romance that also tackles a handful of serious topics. From the beginning, I found it to be a compelling read and worked my way through it pretty quickly. I started it while I was on vacat
Tara Evans
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it

YA - Just ok.

Lizzie
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Narrator Rebecca Soler navigates listeners through Miranda Black's unexpected senior year. Bonded by the disappearances of their mothers at a young age, Miranda and Syd have a friendship that is as constant as the red in the dirt of Las Cruces, New Mexico. But when Syd disappears and Miranda learns the truth about the embarrassing prom fiasco known as the "the Nick Allison incident," Miranda starts to rethink their power dynamic. Soler's range allows her to flow seamlessly between the story's un ...more
Teresa
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a slow burn for me but when I got to the ending I was so happy for Miranda and so happy that I picked this book up.
Carrie Fountain chooses to tackle the ages old topic of growing up and she does it sooo well and with such grace...it had me remembering the ages in my life that I grappled with what to do. I loved, loved, LOVED the way that Miranda learned how to be herself, without anyone goading her to do something differently. I loved the relationship she has with her father, not
Cait S
Aug 04, 2018 added it
Dropped at Chapter 3. This is So. Incredibly. Slow. The pacing is just beyond mind-numbing. I feel like there's probably a decent story in there but I just can't keep going to get to it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Chaos of Now
  • Finding the Worm (Twerp Sequel)
  • Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe
  • The Handsome Girl & Her Beautiful Boy
  • I, Claudia
  • Things Jolie Needs to Do Before She Bites It
  • Half My Facebook Friends Are Ferrets
  • The Yokota Officers Club
  • We Regret to Inform You
  • The Barn
  • Bandette, Volume 2: Stealers Keepers!
  • Two or Three Things I Forgot to Tell You
  • Hero on a Bicycle
  • They Come in All Colors
  • The Agony of Bun O'Keefe
  • Home and Away
  • The Law of Finders Keepers (Mo & Dale Mysteries, #4)
  • Sources of Light
Born and raised in Mesilla, New Mexico, Carrie Fountain’s debut collection of poems, Burn Lake, was a National Poetry Series winner and was published in 2010 by Penguin. Penguin published her second collection, Instant Winner, in 2014. Her poems have appeared in Tin House, Poetry, and The New Yorker, among others.

A former fellow at the James A. Michener Center for Writers at the University of Tex
“I tried to find a place for this new pain, this brand-new baby grief, but there was nowhere to put it. I'd just have to carry it.” 0 likes