Start by marking “Caddyshack: The Making of a Hollywood Cinderella Story” as Want to Read:
Caddyshack: The Making of a Hollywood Cinderella Story

Caddyshack: The Making of a Hollywood Cinderella Story

“This is a tough, sharp history of comedy and competitiveness, of rising stars and brilliant upstarts. Of difficult egos, awful behavior, fragile friendships, bursts of inspiration, and blizzards of cocaine―told by the survivors and shaped by Chris Nashawaty's welcome insight and perspective.”
Mark Harris, New York Times bestselling author of Pictures at a Revolution and
Published April 24th 2018 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about Caddyshack, please sign up.
Marko Mladenovich Doesn't matter. The first half of the book is about Harvard Lampoon, SNL, Animal House, and other things that lead to Caddyshack. You can start the…moreDoesn't matter. The first half of the book is about Harvard Lampoon, SNL, Animal House, and other things that lead to Caddyshack. You can start the book.(less)

Joe
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Don't think you're just getting the making of Caddyshack with this book. You're also getting the making of:
- The Harvard Lampoon
- The National Lampoon
- SCTV
- SNL
- The Blues Brothers
- Animal House

You're also getting mini-biographies of:
- John Belushi
- John Landis
- Rodney Dangerfield
- Cindy Morgan
- Doug Kenney

The list could go on and on. This isn't just a nostalgia-fest either. They show the production, warts and
Ashley Adams
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wacky improv antics of early SNL cast members hit the big screen in Caddyshack. Based on real life experiences and now a classic in the comic genre, the story of the making of Caddyshack is just as wild and cocaine-fueled as you would expect. Enjoy the ride!
Heather Bridson
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I feel kind of bad giving this just two stars, but it just wasn't what I was expecting, and I didn't enjoy reading it. I was expecting a behind the scenes of what went on while making the movie, not a history of Lampoon in all its various creations and hardships alone the way. I just wanted to know about Caddyshack. I got really bored reading this book. It was well over halfway thru the book before you get to Caddyshack itself. Yes, I get that is takes a lot to get a movie going but this book is ...more
Danny Cerullo
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are between the ages of 30 and 50 Caddyshack probably had a major part in shaping your sense of humor. It's a glorious mess of big comedy stars improvising hilarious scenes that don't really add up to much of a plot. In the book Caddyshack, Chris Nashawaty tells the entire story of how this movie came together, starting with the formation of the National Lampoon and culminating in writer/producer Doug Kenney's untimely death. Kenney's rise and fall is the through-line throughout the book ...more
Mike LaRosa
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting and thorough enough read that you don't necessarily have to be a huge fan of the movie to both enjoy reading about its history and effectively follow the series of events. Nashawaty does a great job giving necessary context, starting all the way back at the Harvard Lampoon, moving on to how things like National Lampoon, Saturday Night Live, and Animal House played into the process of Caddyshack coming to be. With all the drugs, infighting, inexperience, and studio pressure ...more
Joseph Carano
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won a ARC on Goodreads. I never really thought about how a movie is actually made. The everyday problems with everything from casting, locations, scripts, politics etc... This book has it all, including the fact that it was made in the 70's, when the culture was everything and anything was go. Great stories are included about the actors, actresses, producers, directors, writers, etc... Learned more reading this book than most others. This offering will sell quite a few books.
Kirk
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, sports
Reading the book is a great excuse for listening to the Kenny Loggins theme title song over and over again! What a great cover, love the little guy, and was glad to read his role greatly expanded from the original script. TMI warning: I dance like him. :)
Cheryl DeFranceschi
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chock full o’ Hollywood gossip, sex drugs and rock and roll, and liberal amounts of comedic history, this was a very fun read, so it’s got that going for itself.
Joann
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First off, I got this for free from the publisher through a Goodreads giveaway, but I'd still say if I hated it. In fact, I found it engrossing, hilarious, and very hard to put down. And that isn't because I'm a diehard fan of Caddyshack. I like it a lot, but I don't worship it or quote it everyday.

Chris Nashawaty's Caddyshack is about a lot more than just the making of the titular film. In fact, that aspect is arguably the least intriguing part of the story. The book's subtitle, "The Making of
Doug Phillips
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
When I learned of Chris Nashawaty's long-overdue study of the Caddyshack phenomenon (Okay, more like a commotion. No, more like a sophomoric following.), I knew I had to get a copy hot off the presses. You see, I've seen the film a zillion times. Okay, more like twenty. Good or bad, this film represents a story, casting, and goofball acting that was marketed to me and every other 18-25-year-old male in 1980.

After reading the book, which lifts many veils around the planning and making of the mov
Kevin
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although the 1980 cult film CADDYSHACK is now a beloved antiestablishment comedy, its path to the screen was a bumpy one. As in cocaine bumps. Cocaine "seemed to be the fuel that kept the film running," writes Entertainment Weekly film critic Chris Nashawaty. Most of the cast and crew were friends, having worked together at National Lampoon magazine, Second City, SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE or ANIMAL HOUSE. But camaraderie turned into competition and "curdled into a toxic stew of bitter compromises, bru ...more
Dave
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
In depth telling of how Caddyshack came to be. From the beginnings with National Lampoon and Second City through to the aftermath of the movie's release. It's amazing to see how all those comedic geniuses gravitated together to create some of the greatest movies of a generation. Yes, this book is about more than just Caddyshack. Mr. Nashawaty weaves together the stories of the actors and writers who came together to create this wonderful movie. For anyone who is a fan of National Lampoon, Saturd ...more
Sara Vilkomerson
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I fell very much in love with this book and all the oddball characters at its center (except for one, and when you read this book you'll know who I mean). I have always been a fan of Caddyshack, and while it's very fun and informative about the making of the movie, the book is also an examination of a time period and a cultural shift in comedy that is downright fascinating. (I ended up on the couch reading past midnight because I could not put it down.)

Jack Herbert Christal Gattanella
"You take drugs, Danny?"
"Every day."
"Good boy - so, whats the problem?"

This is a clear-eyed take on a wild ride that happened for a lot of creative people, but at the core is Doug Kenney, the Harvard graduate and professional goofball who got heavily into drugs and co-wrote two of the funniest movies ever made (this and Animal House). More importantly he was a major factor in the magazine National Lampoon - which is where it started, the movies came later - as a gigantic force as a writer and ed
Lance L
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I get that the title couldn’t be “The Story of Doug Kenney and How He Was Involved in a Bunch of Stuff You Have Heard Of” but come on - the Caddyshack stuff comprises maybe 15% of the book, and doesn’t seem to add anything to what was already obvious and known (they did a lot of cocaine, improvised the script, and were pretty awful to Cindy Morgan). This is a somewhat interesting, one-off-ey sort of bio of a guy who was in the middle of the revolution in comedy that happened in the late 70s. Som ...more
Brian
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I won an ARC through Goodreads. I enjoyed reading about how the movie Caddyshack came to be. The book follows the development of National Lampoon, its publications, and then its first movie Animal House. From there, we follow the story of the actual development and shooting for Caddyshack. The brief summary is that there were lots of drugs, before drugs were bad.

For me, the book contrasts with one other making of works, As You Wish. In that work, the author is one of the lead actors, and so ther
Joshua
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hey everybody reading this book, WE'RE ALL GONNA GET LAID! When you find out that that wasn't supposed to be the original ending but in fact was just an ad-lib by Rodney Dangerfeild there's a strange sensation. Not disillusionment, but just a strange intellectual fascination at knowing something about one of your favorite movies.

Caddyshack actually wasn't the comedy of my youth, that was actually the entire collected series of Family Guy and then eventually Knocked Up came down the pike and chan
Ty
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. The author, Chris Nashawaty, did a fantastic job of telling the story about one of the films that revolutionized the American comedy. I knew most of the information in this book (I've done a lot of my own research and had opportunities to speak with John Landis & Ivan Reitman) and I was very impressed with the details and the facts Nashawaty used to telling the story.

One instance was, when I started this book and seeing how far back the author used as the starting point of
Fred Forbes
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are of a certain age - in my case, about to turn "Plenty two" part of the Boomer vanguard - you know well the folks and events portrayed in this book. At least, if you, like me, have a pretty sophomoric sense of humor and loved the National Lampoon parodies, the magazine and the movies like "Animal House" that were spawned from that creative collective you will enjoy this take on the classic movie. Great insight into the connections between the folks involved in this show and the developm ...more
Stephen
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
This was received as an ARC giveaway in exchange for an honest review.
This is an absolutely engrossing and engaging book that I read in one day!
It traces the evolution of the iconic comedy classic. Starting with the Harvard Lampoon and the National Lampoon to Second City and Saturday Night Live to the making of Animal House.
Richly-detailed and informative, you learn about all the players and a lot about the film making process.
Including the ups and downs and on location craziness behind the film
Amanda
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I entered to win this in a Goodreads giveaway because I've always been a fan of the movie. At first I figured the bulk of the book would re-tell a lot of stuff I had already learned about the film when watching a documentary on A&E. I'm happy to say though that I learned a whole lot that wasn't in the doc I saw. It's very informative and entertaining which, for me, usually boils down to a very fast read. If you're a fan of the film, you'll definitely want to check this book out!
Lana Revok
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This felt more like an abridged rehash of A Stupid and Futile Gesture than a book about the making of Caddyshack but I still found it to be a quick, entertaining read.

Oliver Bateman
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good summary of late 70s post SNL "new" comedy paired with an expanded version of a Caddyshack oral history written for SNL by Nashawaty.

Two interesting takeaways: 1) most of this comedy wasn't that good and 2) Caddyshack, aside from virtuosic scenes like Murray's "looper for the lama" speech, wasn't that good.

But I can see how this material, misogynistic and druggy (in the sense that a heavy pot smoker finds mere repetition funny, but not in cerebral Letterman style "you got any gum?" repeti
Chris Beaven
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun read about a classic film.
Jason Weber
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. Worth the read for any Caddyshack fan!
Marlan
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read and you will learn about the beginnings of SNL, National Lampoon and more.
Carol Lynn
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Breezy read with many details about script development, cast behind the scenes behavior, shooting and editing as well as interviews with many involved in the film. Enjoyable!
Cody Waits
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Cocaine.
Fred
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
A behind-the-scenes look at one of the most iconic cult comedies in modern times. If you're a die-hard fan of Bill Murray, the movie, or Hollywood, and must know how this movie got made, this is a great book. It's real inside-baseball for movie production, focusing on stars' egos and personalities, the realities of making a movie, and how the movie became so iconic.
Chris
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of this movie, reading the tale of how it was made was tremendously interesting. The story of how the players involved ended up together and the craziness that was the set for the movie was great. A must read for fans of Caddyshack.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• We'll Always Have Casablanca: The Legend and Afterlife of Hollywood's Most Beloved Film
  • Deconstructing Sammy: Music, Money, Madness, and the Mob
  • Homey Don't Play That!: The Story of In Living Color and the Black Comedy Revolution
  • The B Side: The Death of Tin Pan Alley and the Rebirth of the Great American Song
  • Cinemaps: An Atlas of 35 Great Movies
  • Hunting El Chapo: The Inside Story of the American Lawman Who Captured the World's Most Wanted Drug-Lord
  • Way Below the Angels: The Pretty Clearly Troubled But Not Even Close to Tragic Confessions of a Real Live Mormon Missionary
  • Faster, Higher, Farther: How One of the World's Largest Automakers Committed a Massive and Stunning Fraud
  • Brat Pack America: A Love Letter to '80s Teen Movies
  • Altamont: The Rolling Stones, the Hells Angels, and the Inside Story of Rock's Darkest Day
  • The Platinum Age of Television: From I Love Lucy to the Walking Dead, How TV Became Terrific
  • Ghost in the Closet: A Nancy Clue and Hardly Boys Mystery