Start by marking “Life Inside My Mind: 31 Authors Share Their Personal Struggles” as Want to Read:
Life Inside My Mind: 31 Authors Share Their Personal Struggles

Life Inside My Mind: 31 Authors Share Their Personal Struggles

Your favorite YA authors including Kami Garcia, Ellen Hopkins, Maureen Johnson, and more recount their own experiences with mental illness in this raw, real, and powerful collection of essays that explores everything from ADD to PTSD.

Have you ever felt like you just couldn’t get out of bed? Not the occasional morning, but every single day? Do you find yourself listening to
Published April 10th 2018 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Life Inside My Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Inside My Mind

Start your review of Life Inside My Mind: 31 Authors Share Their Personal Struggles
Lydia
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG someone else has these thoughts and feelings too
The Book Girl
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it

Trigger Warning. This book may trigger or upset you if you or someone you love struggles with these mental illnesses; ADD, Addiction Alzheimer's, Anorexia, Anxiety, Bipolar Disorder, Bulimia, and Suicide are all mentioned repeatedly in this book.

This was really a truthful and honest look at mental illness from a variety of people. It was so interesting for me to see how different people struggle and experience mental illnesses. I struggle with a number of the problems mentioned in this book and
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
An insightful collection of essays about living with different types of mental illness.
Kelly
Weird that the description on Goodreads mentions Kami Garcia; she's not actually in the collection.

That said: a solid collection of essays about living with mental illness, either as a sufferer or someone who has lived with another struggling. The bulk are about anxiety and depression, though a few essays on addition and an essay on Alzheimers and ADHD are included. Some essays are more compelling than others, as in any collection. My only real qualm was the bizarre essay by Francesca Lia Block
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got for review via Edelweiss.

Look, I’m constantly mentioning the fact that I’m mentally ill on this site. Generalized anxiety disorder, depression, OCD/dermatillomania. Psychiatric meds have saved my life and anyone who wants to fight me on that does in fact forfeit their life to me because DON’T YOU EVEN TRY IT, I WAS NEAR DEATH WITHOUT THEM.

Ahem. That said, is it really a surprise I leaped on an anthology of stories from people who
TheYALibrarian
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs-read, dnf
DNF 30%

Got too repetitive and lost interest. May return to it another time...
Seroxx83
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
anthologies/essays is hard to rate because of all the different views and I just find it hard to connect when each story is so short . Some I liked and could relate to, others just didn’t do it for me... felt a bit repetetive after 31 stories..
Jasmine
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good anthology. As with many anthologies, this can be a pretty mixed bag. We have pieces that I'm super grateful for and were personally useful to me (didn't know bipolar could present like that! a useful way to look at anxieties), and things that I'm really confused as to why they're present (not sure about a piece about how you want your addicted brother to die is useful), and things that I'm not a huge personal fan of but I see why they're there (had to have the traditional piece about h ...more
Amanda (StarDustPanda)
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
(Warning this book may upset you if you have or if you have someone you love who has these mental illness : Depression, Anxiety, OCD, ADD, bipolar disorder, Alzheimer, Bulimia, Anorexia, Addiction, Body Dystopia and Suicidal)

Jessica is my favorite author so I was really excited when I learned about this book I’ve been dealing with my depression and anxiety since I was 18 though I think I had them long before that I just thought it was normal and they weren’t as severe back then so finding out my
Gabri
Books on mental illness, especially when based on real life experiences, are so hard to rate because it almost feels like it's a judgement of the experience. Therefore I want to start off by saying how this book really deserves to be out here, and how brave all the authors are for opening up, not as authors but as people, sharing their stories so others can find comfort in it.

This being said I have to be honest about my personal experience with this book. Only few essays touched me. And I was di
Megan
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This book was a bit of an eye opener for me and I enjoyed a lot of the stories. Most of the stories talked about the same issues, so it was easy to mix them all together.
Nathan
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was very informative about mental illnesses, and it is a must-read for everybody, no matter who you are.
Alicia
Woah. Yes. Certainly taken as a whole the book (a collection of stories) is certainly overwhelming since the theme of the book is authors sharing their personal struggles with mental health in some capacity. For many it is depression or anxiety but it covers an older family members' struggle with Alzheimers, but then covers the negative affects of drug use and abuse as is Ellen Hopkins' story about her young grandson dealing with PTSD. They are powerful stories.

Some authors discuss their medica
Brandi
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies
This title does a beautiful job of illustrating how mental illness affects everyone differently and makes clear that there is no single treatment that will be right for all. These essays are raw and powerful, but might be triggering for readers who suffer from the illnesses presented. Yet, each author implores readers to get help (professional help) and ultimately presents an “it can get better” mentality. An excellent resource for high school libraries.
Catherine
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book does hit close to home, especially if you or someone you love suffers from mental illness but it is extremely relatable. That’s what made it so well done. It was wonderful to hear real stories from authors I admire and go “wow...so I’m not the only one.” This book is definitely something many people should have in their arsenal and I would especially recommend it to those who want to try to understand what their loved ones are going through.
Jaime Leigh
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This anthology collection is stunning. I happened upon it when I was browsing through my library's catalog and I am so glad I decided to pick it up. So many more people need to read it. I am not usually a fan of anthologies. They just aren't my cup of tea. However, the anthology format worked as the perfect platform for these authors to share their struggles. Many times I found myself reading a line and stopping, feeling very understood. I appreciated not only the depth of these essays, but also ...more
Erin
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
This was an amazing way to share and normalize stories about people living with mental health diagnoses. I have worked in the field for a long time and it was still such an eye opener for me. More people need to read this book.

I have 2 critics to help improve a future project:
1. I understand that mental illness is different for everyone but I would have liked a little more variety in the diagnoses. I feel like the majority revolved around anxiety and depression.
2. I did a quick google search o
Emily Barron
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Powerful and insightful collection of essays authored by those who have/are currently battling many different types of mental illness. As someone who has long battled mental illness myself, I felt very connected to some of the stories that were shared. I’d absolutely recommend this book, it’s very helpful and reassuring that - yea - I’m not alone in my struggles! Other people go through it too. I do want to issue a trigger warning if you’re considering reading the book.
Jenn
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-riot-2018
Closer to 3.5. Like a lot of anthologies, some of the essays I loved and others not as much and with so many authors with similar experiences, I felt it got a bit repetitive after awhile. Was still worth the read.
Lauren
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A very eye opening collection of essays describing each author's relationship with mental illness. I would not say this was an "enjoyable book" but rather, quite educational and a great window into what a person might experience when struggling with mental illness.
Lexi
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love love loved the book! It was so helpful, and interesting, and validating. For anyone who is struggling, has struggled, or is just plain empathetic this was a essential read.❤️❤️❤️🙌👍
Kaitlyn
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't say this book was the most comfortable experience of my life. But I think it was an important one. It always helps to realize that we're not alone and this book was wonderful for that. It's hard to give a book like this a rating but i'm going high because it takes a lot to open up about your struggles, I would know.
June
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-life
I picked up this book out of curiosity. This book truly opens doors for me to understand about mental health issues and how people are coping with anxiety, depression, or mental illness. I really appreciate those authors who are willing to tell stories of their lives, for the readers to see through the real lives of those people. After reading this book, I believe that I will be more understanding and will not hold any judgement toward those people. In fact, I wish people can be more open about ...more
Rachel
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Life Inside My Mind is a heart-warming book about mental illnesses. This book is made up of a series of essays. These essays are written by 31 authors and about their struggles being mentally disabled, or having someone who is mentally disabled close to them. It tells readers that they are not alone, how to live with mental illnesses, and what it means to have a mental illness. I recommend this book to anyone who has a mental illness or who is close to someone with a mental illness, it is very i ...more
Katie
This was such an honest, truthful look at mental illness from a variety of perspectives. Seeing how different people experience mental illnesses (that society tends to lump together as a singular experience) in such different ways was eye opening.

I liked how no one prescribed a “right way” to live with mental illness, even subtly. Each essay expressed that the writer was sharing what worked for them, not what would work for every person. I think, especially in a book aimed at teenagers, that it
Mayela
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really good collection of short essays about people who've gone through mental health problems and are still fighting, still showing up.

Perhaps not recommended for people currently going through a severe mental health crisis since, sadly enough, reading about it can make it worse. But I would 100% recommend it to anyone who has loved ones going through a rough time with their mental health or to anyone who feels stable enough in their journey with mental health that they could read about it w
KayCee K
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I enjoyed all the different stories and how each one was different. The struggles that people go through are as different as, how different we look to each other. One person tall while the other person is short. One person's struggles are different for the person next to you.

I found some of the stories I like more than the others, some I related to better than others but each story is important. Even though this book does cover many, many much need topics it still made me giggl
Jessica McAllister
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: april-2018-tbr, arcs
Anthologies are so hard for me to rate. Overall, this was an ok read for me. It didn't blow me away but there were good pieces in here that were relatable.

I received an ARC of the book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jen Petro-Roy
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh so important. Every essay in here is great.
Jessica White
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I personally think all books on mental health should be written in this format.
Life Inside My Mind is a collection of essays written by various authors who either have mental illnesses of their own or are close to people who do. Each author delves into what their struggles are and how they began helping themselves to a life they actually wanted and not one defined by their mental illness. Each author tackles a different mental health aspect, though some are repeated, their coping mechanisms and
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Add books to my profile from another; delete entry 3 23 Feb 09, 2020 09:32AM

• [Don't] Call Me Crazy
  • Our Stories, Our Voices: 21 YA Authors Get Real About Injustice, Empowerment, and Growing Up Female in America
  • Don't Feed the Coos!
  • The Ecstasy of Cornelia Day: An Erotic Supernatural Short Story
  • Dancing at the Pity Party
  • A Sin Such as This (Love Lies Beneath, #2)
  • All the Pretty Things
  • This Is My Brain in Love
  • 水神の生贄 8 [Suijin no Hanayome 8] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #8)
  • Back from the Brink: Saving Animals from Extinction
  • Wonderland
  • What I Leave Behind
  • Off Limits (The Scottish Billionaire #1)
  • 水神の生贄 7 [Suijin no Hanayome 7] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #7)
  • Breaking Rules (The Scottish Billionaire #2)
  • 水神の生贄 6 [Suijin no Hanayome 6] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #6)
  • A Whisper in the Dark (Charlie Travesty, #1)
  • 水神の生贄 10 [Suijin no Hanayome 10] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #10)
Twenty-two year old Jessica Burkhart is a writer from New York City. She’s crazy about horses, lip gloss and all things pink and sparkly. Jess was an equestrian before she started writing. Now, she writes the bi-monthly Canterwood Crest series for Aladdin MIX.

News & Interviews

“But it never, NEVER means how you feel about your own experiences with depression or any mental health issue is offensive or insulting to others. Because it’s not about them. It’s about you. They can exit stage left stat.” 0 likes
“You know how depression lies? Well anxiety is stupid. I did not just say people with anxiety are stupid. No, no. I mean that anxiety itself is stupid. If you asked anxiety what two plus two is, anxiety will think very hard and say "triangle" or "a bag of Fritos" or "a commemorative stamp." Because anxiety doesn't know what anything is. It will try to convince you that things that are totally fine are worthy of dread.” 0 likes