Start by marking “Like Brothers” as Want to Read:
Like Brothers

Like Brothers

The multitalented writers, directors, producers, and actors (as seen on The League, Transparent, and The Mindy Project) share the secrets of their lifelong partnership in this unique memoir.

Whether producing, writing, directing, or acting, the Duplass Brothers have made their mark in the world of independent film and television on the strength of their quirky and empatheti
Audio CD
Published May 8th 2018 by Random House Audio Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Like Brothers, please sign up.
Kimberly Westrope I just read this book last week. There is some swearing but not a lot. And definitely sexual references, but more like pubescent boy talk than anythin…moreI just read this book last week. There is some swearing but not a lot. And definitely sexual references, but more like pubescent boy talk than anything else.
(less)

Start your review of Like Brothers
Miriam
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Now I want to read a book by their mom to see how she raised two such nice people.
Adele
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brothers
This is funny and sweet. I loved reading about Mark and Jay's weird, intense, yet somehow natural and so *human* relationship. I am astonished at how they managed a joint personal perspective and actually turned what could have been a technical struggle into a story enhancer with those carefully selected, "I am writing this chapter alone" bits. Obviously since this is . . . well, not a memoir exactly . . . I'm not sure what it is but based on real life anyway, it has some parts that work better ...more
Cristy Jimenez-Shawcroft
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I chose to listen to this audiobook because Jay Duplass (one of the authors) was featured on the only podcast that I really listen to: Happier with Gretchen Rubin. I thought his interview was insightful, and the book proved to be so as well. The most interesting thing about Jay and Mark Duplass to me is how "emotionally evolved" they are, while still being "bro-y". They cry together and talk through conflicts using therapy-learned language, and yet they still act like dudes and brothers and make ...more
Scott
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I've enjoyed a bunch of Jay and Mark Duplass's movies over the years--especially Safety Not Guaranteed but also Skeleton Twins and Jeff, Who Lives At Home--never seen any of their TV shows, and always thought they seemed like reasonably interesting, smart people with a lot of energy and some charm. And that's true of Like Brothers, a dual memoir of sorts in which the boys, sometimes writing as "we", sometimes in alternating chapters, discuss their childhood and personal life, their creative care ...more
Rachel
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the chance to read about such a strong bond between siblings. I'm obsessed with Mark Duplass and all of the Duplass brothers movies. Getting to read about how their script writing process works was awesome! Great read!
Megan Phelps-Roper
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‪I loved this book. I read it slowly, primarily because the brothers’ relationship made it emotional for me. For anyone who knows what it’s like to be crazy-close to a sibling—and for anyone looking to successfully navigate such a relationship—this book is amazing.‬

‪It’s also wonderful for anyone seeking a kick in the creative pants.👖 If the brothers’ entrepreneurial spirit doesn’t inspire you to get out and DO something, I don’t know what will!‬
Katelyn Stalowy
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audio book read by the brothers, I imagine I would have liked it less in book form.
Daniel
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 because like, there some nice parts but most of it was self serving and not cute.
Erica Scoville
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. Mark and Jay’s sibling relationship is so reminiscent of mine and my sister’s, I honestly feel so connected to them. Throughout reading this I was continuously stopping to text my sister passages from the book captioned: “US!!!!!!!!”

i.e. “I knew in my spirit that there was something incredibly beautiful and also inherently unhealthy about our relationship.”
@Jade ..... US!!!!!!!

Basically I love everything about this book and admire the Duplass brothers so so much. I
Orsolya
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you don’t know who the Duplass Brothers, Jay and Mark, are; well then, shame on you! This acting, directing, screen-writing, just-about-anything duo has not only obtained Hollywood success but are just downright loveable and relatable, as people. The Duplass Brothers are also a little quirky: having a co-dependent sibling relationship that is more expected from a set of twins. However, this is what sets Mark and Jay apart and you can’t help but adore them. Mark and Jay join forces (well, duh! ...more
Stella
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a bond between some siblings that is so deep and so complex that it's weird. Part of it is growing up together, in the same house, with the same memories. Mark and Jay Duplass are one of these pairs of siblings. They shared a small bed, even when they didn't need to. They work together. They collaborate on project constantly. It's weird. It's insular. It's amazing.

Like Brothers is the story of their relationship and their working partnership. They have had a lifelong dream of being creat
Ron Christiansen
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, film, self-help
A must read for fans of Duplass films--it encapsulates their unique philosophy in the film-making world and offers intriguing details about the making of many of their early films (The Puffy Chair, Bag head, Jeff who lives at home etc) and a reflection on their two seasons of Togetherness on HBO.

It's very confessional, a bit preachy at times, but so smart, sweet and honest. You can make money creating films on your own with the big studios. I hope there are many listening so we get more films l
Marc Hampson
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I know this gets thrown around a lot, but this is a MUST READ for upcoming independent filmmakers. There is important practical advice for your career and your soul:)

Beautifully read (performed) by the brothers Duplass - this book is a powerful chronicling of the filmmaker's journey so far through their lens so but more importantly is about the power of coming to terms with focusing and and working on understanding their relationship with each other and others.

While being non-fiction (with some
Jo
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was amazed at how close these two brothers were. I could not imagine hanging with a 14 year old sibling when I was a freshman in college. That was weird. The book is an easy read. But I found myself skimming at certain parts. They go into great detail in many events and situations. How did they remember everything? They do give good advice if you are interested in getting into the business.
Zoe Cattolico
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
They’re better at making movies than writing books.
Nicholas Palmieri
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Informative, funny, touching, wide-ranging, and, like all the best collaborations, greater than the sum of its parts. This was the book on filmmaking that I've always wanted to read.

Before starting this book, my exposure to the pair was limited to one movie that they had helped produce. But by the end, I felt that I knew them better than if I had seen their work. What could have been an easy memoir, the brothers instead made this a large collection of small stories: numbered chapters detailing t
Sujata Neidig
Jun 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I listened to this on Audible. I didn't know who Jay and Mark Duplass where until I heard them on Brene Brown's podcast and immediately wanted to read/listen to their book. I loved their stories and insight into their super close relationship. While it's somewhat normal for siblings to be close, Mark and Jay are beyond that, they call each other their soul mates and openly acknowledge their co-dependenace. It was really interesting to hear them talk about this and explain how they keep their bon ...more
John
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To begin with, I highly recommend you listen to this book in audio form. Mark and Jay voice themselves throughout, so it's easy to know who's writing at any moment; plus, in this format, the readings of actual conversations from Jay and Mark's life lend an extra sense of their dynamic and chemistry, serving to further highlight the depth of the brothers' bond.

'Like Brothers' serves as a fascinating and heartwarming chronicle of the Duplass Brothers' lives, but not exclusively. It also contains a
Lauren
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The audio version is fantastic and it felt like the Duplass brothers were telling me a story for 5 hours even when they were giving genuine creative advice. There were parts that felt like it jumped around somewhat because there was no visual context the book had for chapters ending, but it wasn't distracting. I'm not a filmmaker and do not collaborate with my siblings on projects but it's still useful information for anyone who's a fan of their work, generally interested in expanding their crea ...more
Liliana
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think my love for this book is on par with how I love the acting, directing, and writing of this brotherly duo. I really really enjoy their work. I am always interested and engaged. To say it is mindblowing--not sure, but it always has this immense amount of quality. I appreciate the fact that they continue to produce their work.

My favorite part of this book is their loss of friendship when focusing on their business side of things. I often see that happen to so many relationships whether fami
Melanie
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Funny and engaging book from these directors, I have enjoyed some of their cult films, and am happy to see that they are gaining mainstream success with their Netflix productions... "Outside In" was very impressive... I didn't realize they are from the great city of New Orleans!!! This book is perfect for people who enjoy their work and their humor, or for aspiring film industry folks who want to know how these guys "made it." I most enjoyed reading about their relationship dynamics and little s ...more
MacKenzie Hill
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. Some parts a little indulgent but so so interesting to hear how their creative relationship works and witness the checks and balances they have to go through to maintain. Two very deep feeling human beings - two of the most in touch humans I've ever listened to reflect and dissect relationships and story telling. I think REALLY worth listening to the narrated audio book vs. reading the book on the page. Fun to hear their inflections and the tag team nature of their relatio ...more
Connie Hall
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
They are a couple of interesting guys and this is about their trajectory to success in the film industry. We saw them speak at the LA Library Foundation's Aloud series. They are funny and quirky and everything you'd expect. As is the book. They are interested in helping young talent (or perhaps I should say new talent) so if you or someone you know has a great screenplay, find them.
Eileen
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a solid 4 star read, the tipping point to 5 is the sense I would definitely read it again, have already recommended it on and the over arching sense of honesty the book holds. On one hand in 2020 hearing men speak to their emotions shouldn't be unusual but alas I think it still is. The Duplas brothers do it here with such apparent ease that it was refreshing and insightful.
Patrick Casebeer
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read that was both sensitive and thought-provoking and yet able to make you smile at their silliness.

The airport sections made me laugh the most, only because I’ve done that before. Not to their level or skill, but in a similar fashion.

I also learned about some of their other projects that I’m going to check out!
Aimee
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this audiobook over about 3 weeks. My gosh, what a wonderful book! It’s part memoir, part guide to indy film making and part self help. It’s read in the authors (and their wives) voices. A great read for my aspiring indy film making son if I could just get him to actually read it. 🤓
Rachel Becerra
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the book and I now love these brothers so much. I must now go back and watch anything I have not seen from them. I love their relationship and their respect and kindness for one another. I love their love and it makes me feel greatful that a relationship like theirs can exist. They are true soul mates.
Jenny
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
On a serious Duplasw brother kick right now and found this book really entertaining and thoughtful.
Becky
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book was fine, but my crush on Mark grows.
Uriah
Apr 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars!

• Permission to Feel: Unlocking the Power of Emotions to Help Our Kids, Ourselves, and Our Society Thrive
  • More Myself: A Journey
  • Together: Why Social Connection Holds the Key to Better Health, Higher Performance, and Greater Happiness
  • Untamed