Start by marking “Hellboy: Into the Silent Sea” as Want to Read:
Hellboy: Into the Silent Sea

Hellboy: Into the Silent Sea

(Hellboy: One-Shots)

Hellboy sets sail from the wreckage of a deserted island only to cross paths with a ghost ship. Taken captive by the phantom crew that plans to sell him to the circus, Hellboy is dragged along by a captain who will stop at nothing in pursuit of a powerful sea creature. Following the events of Hellboy: The Island, Gary Gianni draws Hellboy in an original graphic novel.

"The
Published May 2nd 2017 by Dark Horse Books (first published March 7th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy

Start your review of Hellboy: Into the Silent Sea
Sam Quixote
In the words of Van Jones describing Trump and Russia, Hellboy: Into the Silent Sea is a big nothingburger. It’s the archetypical Hellboy story: Hellboy goes someplace remote, encounters some supernatural things, there’s some trite exposition, he punches a monster, the end. That’s all that happens here - nothing remotely new, different or original for readers like me who’ve read all the previous Hellboy comics.

Gary Gianni’s art is beautifully eerie and haunting. It’s the kind of art I remember
Chad
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Felt like an excuse to draw Hellboy into an illustrated classic. Draws a little from Moby Dick and Treasure Island but a lot of this doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially as the story progresses. Any new Hellboy stories are a good thing, but there's just not a lot here.
Paul E. Morph
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I somehow missed this graphic novel when it was released last year (please note: this is an actual graphic novel; I'm not one of these dinguses who are too embarrassed to use the word 'comicbook').

It was pretty good, too. The artwork was really nice and the story had a nice twist at the end that just about elevated it above being 'Hellboy-by-numbers'. It still gave me that oh-too-familiar pang I get whenever I read a Hellboy story by anybody other than Mignola though: I really, really miss Mike'
L.S. Popovich
Into The Silent Sea is so short as to be inconsequential.
There are great ideas here and nods to classic themes like the madness engendered by the sea and the dangers of “truth.” There are hints at the deeper lore of Hellboy and the dark monstrosities that haunt this alternate world. But it all comes to nothing. The graphic novel is the equivalent of flash fiction, without that medium's ability to distill the world's essence. Here much is alluded to in to little space and it feels like buildup le
Jay
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming nautical tale, inspired by Melville, Coleridge, and Hodgson, with some truly awesome art with a woodcut feel. It's a classic ghost story mixed with a little cosmic horror, but the dry wit helps it stand out. And the art is really pretty.
Wing Kee
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quick solid little ghost story with great art.

World: The art is fantastic, it’s grounded and looks like that of old serials (It looks like art that were attached to Conan Doyle stories). It’s beautiful and gives this short little story a different tone to the other HB stories around. The world building is solid, it falls into the Mignolaverse lore fits in perfectly.

Story: The story is a quick read and solid. The tone is great and it’s creepy and scary. I like how it fits into the period of HB
Orrin Grey
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, mignola
Okay, so of course I loved this. It's Mignola, it's Gianni, it's William Hope Hodgson sea stories. But but but... I also kind of feel like it eats up a lot of its fairly brief page count getting us back to the start. Taking place immediately after the hellboy story "The Island," one of the last that Mignola wrote and drew before taking Hellboy to Hell, the book spends quite a bit of time getting Hellboy on board the doomed ship and recounting the events that have gotten us to this spot before th ...more
Spencer
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Unlike many of the other reviews I really liked this; the tone, atmosphere and setting work together really well to deliver a short but captivating story. Gary Gianni's artwork is beautiful and compliments the writing perfectly, I'll have to check out more of his art as I was very impressed.
Juho Pohjalainen
A short wayside trip with, by Hellboy standards, very little of new or worthwhile to offer.
Baal Of
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weird, fantasy, horror
This was a lovely little story with top-notch, gorgeous artwork. Plenty of finely detailed pen and ink without getting to busy. Excellent pacing and a fun concept, even if it does fall into the usual Hellboy solution of punching out the monster. The weird sea-creature monsters were well done, and the disintegrating finale was satisfying.
Jake
This was my least favorite Hellboy story, which is either saying a lot or nothing at all, because I still very much enjoyed it. I've never read a bad Hellboy story. This just had the least to offer, even in its scatterbrained delirium. Whether Hellboy's after something or just wandering the Earth, his very presence is alluring. Trouble finds him and he's one of the best balances of furious reaction and tranquil core. Usually, there's a small piece of him revealed in a story of his wandering the ...more
Mike
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creepy little Mignola nautical vignette. If you love Hellboy, you'll love this one.
Eric Orchard
A perfect and short Hellboy tale. Beautifully drawn.
Václav
Mike and Gary. Two great authors of mystery which I both very appreciate. I know Gary Gianni, who's responsible for the art here, as kind of old school Victorian-ish style horror-mysteries author. Those stories are creepy in a way I wouldn't believe "old school horror" could be for the modern erudite reader. But they are. And here comes Gary, contributing mostly by his art, it works perfectly. And I was happy to see his art colourized. It looks magnificent. All scenes are beautifully chilling, d ...more
Bogdan
The story wasn`t something impressive, but is enjoyable enough for a weekend day. And if you`re in the Mignola style and Hellboy, like I am, then you`ll not regret reading this one. ...more
CHRIS LOCKEY
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A pitch-perfect complement to the Mignolaverse. This taut, oneiric tale of a castaway caught up in a nightmare of crustacean horrors is a real page turner.
Angela
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I miss Hellboy and love any time I can read a new story with him in it. This volume did not disappoint.
Richard
There isn't as much here as I'd like, but what there is hits the mark tone-wise for a Hellboy story and features some very moody art that works well along with it. Overall, I'd say it's a three star story that gets an extra oomph from the art.
Brent White
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
always a pleasure to catch up with my favorite red demon from hell.
the fever dream this book follows is a wonderful throwback to melville and robert louis stevenson.
as always beautifully rendered and the feel of the hardback edition was a pleasure to read.
perfect for national comic book day.
Jeb
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful art, entertaining if slightly underwhelming story.
Lizzy  Walker
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review forthcoming for Monster Librarian.
Phinehas
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great, weird seafaring tale inspired by William Hope Hodgson.
Bill
Apr 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful to look at, not much to read.
Carmen Harris
Unlike the last few Hellboy comics I have read, speaking in "chronological" order, The Silent Sea doesn't hook you in like the others. Don't get me wrong, the art is still awesome (I am a huge Gianni fan), and Hellboy is still...well...Hellboy, but the story doesn't seem to have the same depth, and at times gravitas, that some of the earlier ones did.

I believe Hellboy is at its best when it becomes an exploration of the savagery of life, of the dark corners of our minds, the places in fairytale
Joseph R.
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After Hellboy left the B.P.R.D., he wandered around for a few years before winding up in Hell. This tale comes from that middle period. Hellboy is sailing the ocean and is picked up by the Rebecca. The Rebecca's captain puts him in chains and hopes to sell him to P. T. Barnum as a side show freak, which definitely shows something odd going on since it's the late twentieth century for Hellboy. If that wasn't weird enough, the captain answers to a strange woman who has hired the ship to find an an ...more
Jinji
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hellboy: Into the Silent Sea!!! In the tradition of Neil Gaiman’s Harley Quinn Valentine, Creatures of the Night, and Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba’s How to Talk to Girls at Parties, Dark Horse released another short story graphic novel, this time written by Mike Mignola. This features our favorite red devil comic book character (that could see), wandering off in a sea, probably just after he left BPRD. On the wild waters, he gets picked up by an old ship, probably from the 17-1800’s, and gets tied ...more
Harry Casey-Woodward
I’ve been a bit wary of Mignola’s more recent writing of his ‘Hellboy’ series. It just seemed to lack the punch of the early storylines. However, I found this little story very enjoyable and just as creepy and imaginative as some of Mignola’s previous Hellboy shorts. It’s a good maritime ghost yarn, with some salty literary references to such texts as Coleridge’s ‘Rime of the Ancient Mariner’ and ‘Moby Dick’. The art is really cool and atmospheric too. Mignola’s annoying habit of having bizarre ...more
doowopapocalypse
If you’re any sort of a Hellboy fan, this book will leave you confused, unsatisfied, wondering what you got wrong, calling your mom crying, etc. While it’s rare (very rare) that I don’t thoroughly enjoy anything in the Hellboy universe Mignola puts out, that rarity works against him here to really highlight the flaws. Gianni’s art is just ok. The story is color by numbers:

Hellboy is captured. Victorian-era science. Zombies. Allusions to classic literature. God-serpents. Hit things with giant han
rêveur d'art
I'm drawn to stories with a great deal of atmosphere and this excellent Hellboy story had that in spades. I liked that it quotes from Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1798), which I've read, as well as making an homage to it throughout. There are other nods but that's the one that was the strongest to me, besides Herman Melville's famous Moby-Dick story.

Beyond that it's a classic Hellboy story; great atmospheric art by Gary Gianni, an emotionally moving tale and, as always, an effec
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 3: The Mysteries of Unland
  • The Old Guard, Book Two: Force Multiplied
  • Pulp
  • Silver Surfer: Parable
  • Ronin
  • Snow, Glass, Apples
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo

Hellboy: One-Shots (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Hellboy: The Corpse