Start by marking “Phasma (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #2)” as Want to Read:
Phasma (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #2)

Phasma

(Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  7,491 ratings  ·  1,063 reviews
Discover Captain Phasma’s mysterious history in this “Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi” novel.

One of the most cunning and merciless officers of the First Order, Captain Phasma commands the favor of her superiors, the respect of her peers, and the terror of her enemies. But for all her renown, Phasma remains as virtually unknown as the impassive expression on her
Published September 1st 2017 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Phasma, please sign up.
Mel A woman is tortured throughout most of the book. A man is eaten from the inside out by bugs, so that he swells and eventually explodes. I would think…moreA woman is tortured throughout most of the book. A man is eaten from the inside out by bugs, so that he swells and eventually explodes. I would think these would be worth mentioning more than an offhand reference to a woman having had more than one sexual partner. (less)
Manly It starts with a person discussing their knitting. That made me wonder what other exciting thrills were in store!

So I don't think it qualifies as non…more

So I don't think it qualifies as non putting down.(less)

·  7,491 ratings  ·  1,063 reviews

Start your review of Phasma (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #2)
Khurram
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG I loved this book. I was very dubious about reading this book. Actually I went into reading this book with zero expectations, at best I hope to get more insight into what could happen or new characters in the Last Jedi. In the Force Awakens Captain Phasma had two lines and I though her getting thrown into the garbage disposal was a fitting end to a forgettable character. Considering all this I was expecting a short story novella type book, this is nothing of the sort it is 380 page book with ...more
Prema Arasu
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
The shocking truth the First Order doesn't want you to know: Captain Phasma is actually five ewoks standing on each others shoulders
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/10/26/...

Billed as the secret history behind the First Order’s most notorious and ruthless Stormtrooper, Star Wars: Phasma was released to great anticipation from fans who wanted to learn more about the eponymous character whose chrome-plated presence was woefully underutilized in The Force Awakens. This being a Star Wars novel though, and knowing how they always tend to oversell the reality in their blurbs, I’d already braced
Alejandro
Surviving is merciless!

This is a prose novel, part of the new canon of "Star Wars".

PHASMA'S DARK PAST

I got an odd feeling while reading this novel, since most of it, it's told by a third one, instead of the actual Phasma, in fact, Phasma appeared (in real time) until the final climax of the book.

So, it's a book of Phasma and at the same time, kinda not.

But, don't get me wrong, since the story is quite strong, since it's a book about a villain, and certainly Phasma is merciless when it's
Ben Brown
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars-canon
Have you ever started a book and found that you were really enjoying it…yet months later, you realized that for whatever reason, you still hadn’t gotten around to finishing it? For me, that’s Delilah S. Dawson’s “Phasma”: I started it way back in early February, found myself digging it more than I thought I would, became genuinely invested in the story and where it was leading…and yet, three months later, I found that for whatever reason, I’d only completed about half of it. Part of that I chalk ...more
Lata
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 to 4 stars. I liked this book a great deal more than "Inferno Squad". It's a relief that Phasma's not played for laughs here (like in Force Awakens when Han and Finn throw her in a garbage chute.) The Phasma in this book is incredibly ruthless, singleminded, driven, violent. This is what I expected to see when she first walked onscreen.
This story takes place in two places, Parnassos, Phasma's home planet 10 years ago, and aboard a First Order star destroyer, Absolution. Vi Moradi, a
kartik narayanan
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read the full review at my site Digital Amrit

But if you are to join me, you must look to your pride, Phasma. You must learn to gracefully accede to a superior’s will. Would you rather be right or would you rather be alive?

Introduction

‘Phasma’, part of the new Star Wars canon, is written by Delilah S Dawson. It is, as the name implies, the ‘origin’ story of the eponymous character, set after ‘Return of the Jedi’ but before ‘The Force Awakens’.

Recommendation

“Phasma’ was a let down. I had
Tanya
Let's be honest, the only reason I read this book was for Armitage Hux wearing a robe and how he doesn't want to keep Kylo Ren waiting.

Except for Armitage Hux (You're doing amazing sweetie), I did not like this book.

Every character made horrible decisions that made no sense or outright contradicted themselves.

Am I really suppose to feel bad/think Phasma is the Evillest Evil to Ever Evil who only cares about her own survival when everyone she killed kinda were asking for it? Not a single one was
Jim C
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a prequel to The Force Awakens. This one tells the story of Phasma's home world and how she became a member of the First Order.

Firstly, I have to say I am not the biggest fan of Captain Phasma and I do not understand all the hubbub for her character. I think the first two movies has done nothing for her character. That changes with this book as the author fleshes her out. Phasma is a cold, fierce warrior and she is a perfect fit for the First Order. This book asks if Phasma is that
Jim
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good insight into a character sadly neglected in both films, but much as I enjoyed learning about Phasma, it was the frame story and the character of Cardinal that really captured me. I hope Dawson's plans include a future Star Wars novel featuring Vi and Cardinal...
Chad
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Probably the best of the Disney era SW books I've read. Told as a story within a story, Phasma's and the framing story both work.

Vi is a rebellion spy captured by the First Order. One of their officers wants information on Phasma and is willing to torture her to get it. So Vi slowly delves out Phasma's life on Parnassas as told to her by someone who grew up with her. Parnassas is a dying planet, her people struggling to survive. When General Brendal Hux crash lands on Parnassus, Phasma sees it
Lance Shadow
Feb 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: canon, star-wars, novels
Let's get this over with. Phasma. I've got two confessions to make. First, this book took me about two months to finish. Second, I finished reading Phasma about a week ago, but I really didn't feel like reviewing it.
That's how much this book drained me guys. Thank goodness it is over.

Now before I begin, I have to let it be known that I felt the need to change my rating system and update a few older reviews to accomodate this clunker's one star.

THE STORY: The purpose of this book is to tell the
Jerry
Feb 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
What a mess! This confusing book makes me pine for the original Expanded Universe: Thrawn, the Yuuzahn Vong, Corran Horn...MUCH better than this dreck!
Josh
This book breathes new life into Phasma, a character who had little more than a bit part on The Force Awakens. This is both a good and a bad thing. Now that Phasma has become a bona fide character in the Star Wars cannon, what role she is set to play in The Last Jedi is very important; given the momentum generated in this book to build her up as a ruthless career soldier with high ambitions and the Marvel comic (of which I’ve not read) it’s obvious there are plans to break the ‘Stormtrooper as ...more
Roy
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Im a massive Star Wars Fan and I felt like Phasma just isnt main character material. The story felt like the components around her were more important and Phasma was just related or involved in anytjing that occurred. Continues some great backstory information but overall not the strongest Star Wars novel.
Ivy
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Nice to be able to learn more about Phasma and her origins. She seems dangerous though. Hux better watch himself and everyone else should too. Hope Cardinal will join the Resistance. Also hope that Siv and Torbi will be okay. RIP everyone that died.
Audrey
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
My husband and I picked this up from the shelf at the library at the last minute before our road trip. The only reason we listened to it is there was nothing else to do in the car for 28 hours (each way).

This was so poorly written. Every phrase, every sentence was a cliche, and the “writer” had no idea. It was like she took a challenge to write a book using only 500 words of the English language: Enemies are “dispatched.” There is never another way to kill them. Feet “scrabble to find purchase.”
Kimberly
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I was pretty excited when Phasma was announced, that I wrote down my initial thoughts about what we might learn about Phasma: “I'm wondering if the reason we didn't get to know much about Phasma in TFA is because her backstory would give away a lot of surprises for TLJ, and maybe she has a larger role in the story than we have been shown. I'm not saying she's linked to any specific character, but I am hoping the character becomes a significant part of the franchise.”

Phasma’s story is told by Vi
Sud666
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This is probably the first of the "Newer Improved and better tasting" Star Wars Disney book that I've liked. It does have its flaws but those are grounded in the silliness of this "new" SWG. I'll be blunt-Th First Order is not scary. They seem rather soft. When the Cardinal character -what a dumbfucking name especially since it is implied in the book that it implies his rank as well as his color. The problem is where the hell did anyone in the SWG universe see a Cardinal (as in of the Catholic ...more
Michael Hicks
My original PHASMA (STAR WARS) audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

After writing the Star Wars short story, The Perfect Weapon, Delilah S. Dawson returns to a galaxy far, far away with the full-length novel, Phasma. I’m a fan of Dawson’s work, and it’s great fun seeing her playing around in one of my favorite cinematic universes and helping to build and expand upon the new canon of expanded universe tie-ins centering around the trilogy of Star Wars films.

After
Joe
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Phasma" may be the best book yet of the new Star Wars canon. I know, I know, high praise. "But Joe, what about 'Lost Stars? What about 'Thrawn'?" People, people, you've got to trust me here.

I think we can all agree that Captain Phasma was (how shall I put this?) rather underutilized in "The Force Awakens." She looked cool, sounded cool, but ultimately ended up being a footnote in the story. A very shiny, chrome-plated footnote, but a footnote all the same.

Then along comes the book "Phasma."
Boots
Sep 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-wars
i feel like Dawson took a post-apocalyptic novel out of her closet and slapped Star Wars characters into it. a nuclear meltdown? chickens? butterflies? these are not Star Wars things.

and the conceit of the story: that tortured prisoner Vi is nattering on endlessly about the windswept grey sand and Siv's tender inner feelings is patently ludicrous. Cardinal is likewise an absurdly naive idiot who gets what he deserves. and Phasma? this does not develop or improve her character in any really
Neil R. Coulter
Sep 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-wars, fiction
It’s a somewhat difficult time for Star Wars fans. On the one hand, there is a steady stream of new books and movies, and it’s fun to live in a world that is again Star Wars–crazy. On the other hand, the announcement that J. J. Abrams will direct Episode IX more or less ensures that nothing new or surprising will happen to conclude the new trilogy.

In such a world, it would be nice if a new Star Wars novel could be relied upon to be at least “okay,” or even “meh.” Unfortunately, and with rare
Christopher
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Antonio Marrero Jr
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
After reading Lost Stars by Claudia Gray (which I enjoyed) I went into this with hope that I would get another good Star Wars side story, sadly that's not exactly what happened.

Phasma suffered from the strangest problem, everybody and everything is more interesting than the character it is featuring. It was like the author was writing around the character instead of about the character. Phasma is dull and she is one dimensional. No matter what the situation is she will kill anyone who even
Gwen Goeldner
Dawson weaves an intricate plot describing the past of one of Star War's most enigmatic characters—Captain Phasma. It's a riveting story of sacrifice, love, loss, and suffering. It's so addictive it's dangerous, with fresh, raw characters and sharp, shocking twists. This is a book worth putting time into reading for hours. Dawson left a few threads hanging… Just enough for a sequel. Someone needs to make a movie out of this astounding piece of literature.
Jason
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly excellent story. It's a rather complex story within a story, both engaging, both taking you on a journey along with the characters. Each shifting POV character's story was well done...and I was into each of those characters. Not easy to balance and pull off well.
rachael ♡
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars-canon

Giving this one around 3.5 stars! There are so many different story arcs in PHASMA and it can get a bit overwhelming. Overall, I enjoyed it and felt the characters were very well
C.T. Phipps
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
STAR WARS: PHASMA is a book which I think really shows what the biggest problem with current Star Wars tie-in fiction is, which is the fact nothing is allowed to happen. This is the life story of Captain Phasma, the cowardly but dangerous leader of the First Order's Stormtroopers who brought down the shields of Starkiller Base when someone pointed a gun at her.

The entirety of the book is meant to reconcile the fact she's meant to be terrifying but rolled on her fellow Imperials at the first
Bria
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, I wasn’t the world’s biggest fan of Fury Road but this book mash up between it and Star Wars was something I never knew that I wanted until Delilah Dawson delivered it via Phasma. And then she also gave me more First Order goodness and honestly what more could a girl ask from a book? Phasma tells two stories in parallel: Resistance spy Vi’s interrogation by the First Order Captain Cardinal and the secret history of Captain Phasma as relayed to Vi by a woman the mysterious captain ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please Update Book Information 5 15 Mar 13, 2018 01:44PM
Around the Year i...: Phasma, by Delilah S. Dawson 1 9 Feb 07, 2018 11:08PM
Download Phasma (Star Wars) by Delilah S Dawson 1 8 Dec 24, 2017 08:17AM
Connection to official franchise? 2 26 Aug 26, 2017 06:14PM

• Inferno Squad (Star Wars: Battlefront, #2)
  • Last Shot: A Han and Lando Novel (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi - The Legends of Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)
  • From a Certain Point of View (Star Wars)
  • Thrawn: Alliances (Star Wars: Thrawn, #2)
  • Cobalt Squadron (Star Wars)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • Bloodline (Star Wars)
  • Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars: Thrawn, #3)
  • The Last Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #8)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Empire's End (Star Wars: Aftermath, #3)
  • Thrawn (Star Wars: Thrawn, #1)
  • Life Debt (Star Wars: Aftermath, #2)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
Delilah S. Dawson writes whimsical and dark Fantasy for adults and teens. Her Blud series for Pocket includes Wicked as They Come, Wicked After Midnight, and Wicked as She Wants, winner of the RT Book Reviews Steampunk Book of the Year and May Seal of Excellence for 2013. Her YA debut, Servants of the Storm, is a Southern Gothic Horror set in Savannah, GA, and HIT is about teen assassins in a ...more

Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Canto Bight (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #1)
  • Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #3)
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Captain Phasma
  • Cobalt Squadron (Star Wars)
  • A Leader Named Leia
  • The Power of the Force (Journey to Star Wars - The Last Jedi)
  • Star Wars Made Easy: A Beginner's Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
  • Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (Star Wars)
  • The Rebel Files (Star Wars)
“There is no greater enemy to justice than a little king on a little hill.” 5 likes
“That’s the problem with indoctrination—the whole point of the First Order’s kind of education is to stop someone from thinking and instead kick their emotions into gear. Make them hate everything else so they’ll cling to what you give them. It’s hard to think for yourself when fear and anger are driving the shuttle.” 4 likes