Start by marking “Auto Repair For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Auto Repair For Dummies

Auto Repair For Dummies

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  286 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Book by Sclar, Deanna
Published September 30th 1999 by IDG Books Worldwide (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Auto Repair For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Auto Repair For Dummies

Michelle
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: skillz
This book was calling my name! It helped to diagnose & repair the PCV hose when the engine was dying at red lights. If you think I meant to say PVC, this book might help you too.
Elaine Nelson
I know basically nothing about cars. Didn't even get my license until I was 26. So I'm trying to learn, finally. I got this and one other book out of the library. Of the two, I liked this one better. Clear explanations, helpful pictures. I was able to check almost all the basic stuff under the hood of my truck, which made me feel really handy! (Also, I figured out that I was very low on coolant, and was able to top it off. Go me.) Never did finish it, for various reasons, but I think I want my o ...more
Christian
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book can turn any Mrs. Daisy into a regular Pep Boy. Modern passenger vehicles are becoming increasing complex and anyone who owns a car knows that routine maintenance and repairs are inevitable. Auto Repair For Dummies provides an excellent starting point for anyone who desires a better understanding of how a car works. This book provides a basic functional description of the various subsystems found on most modern cars. In addition, Auto Repair For Dummies provides some useful recommendat ...more
Brandon Grant
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Lesley
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I purchased this in my "broke college kid" days when paying somebody else to fix my ailing POS car just wasn't an option. That being said, this book saved me an inestimable amount of money and worry, with the added bonus of teaching me how cars work. These days, with detailed "how-tos" for just about anything a Google search away, it spends most of its time collecting dust on the shelf. But when I decided to embark on an open-ended road trip a couple years back, this tome and a somewhat outdated ...more
Jose
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how I managed to avoid learning anything about cars for 30 years. Well, this was the perfect introduction to cars and car maintenance. I really enjoyed going through this book and realizing what is probably obvious to most, cars are cool. The content in the book is repetitive but that didn't really annoy me. It is a good book to start with if you know almost nothing about cars because you have been busy with your life doing other things.
Matt
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very informative. I can't say I haven't learned anything from it; in fact, I've learned a lot! However, the author's personal opinions on things like pollution, alternative fuels, hybrids, and electric cars crop up everywhere and get in the way of what would normally be a great read.

I recommend it to anyone who is interested in how cars work and is interested in turning a wrench under the hood now and then. If anything, it makes a great reference.
Maradox
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a good introduction to auto repair, and a good read even if you don't have a car. We all need to know how to change a tyre as well as how to change oil and, if necessary, transmission fluid.

Reading this book also ungated other auto repair books and guides for me, for example Sullivan's Autoshop101.com as well as various repair manuals for common cars like the Honda Civic.
Bob
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Ok, so maybe I'm a dummy. But that's why I love this book so much. When I started working on my car I didn't know a carburetor from an alternator...and every other book assumed that I did. This book walks the reader through the entire car step by step giving confidence to poke and prod under the hood.

Great stuff that'll be my constant go-to resource for all things car repair.
Shirley
An excellent introduction to the inner workings of cars at the time.

Gave me the confidence to sling the lingo with my mechanic, change my own oil and figure out what the bad noise coming out from under the hood actually was.
Lacie
Apr 22, 2008 added it
You probably need more tools than most of us have to save a substantial amount of money on repairs, but helps you not look so dumb when you go into the shop. We went in once to find out that we needed grease on our axle.
Ben
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Wish it had much more details on common repairs.
Les
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Check this book out at your local library! Then, realize that you can't live without it and purchase it. Make sure you get the most current edition.
Samuel
Jun 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: car owners
A great book for the auto inept such as myself.
Cdwag
  • Photography For Dummies
  • New Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual
  • Frugal Living for Dummies

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »