Start by marking “Undercurrent” as Want to Read:
Undercurrent

Undercurrent

Phoebe and her disabled husband, Martyn, move into a new house in a village on the edge of County Durham. They plan to lead a quiet existence, a set up that suits them both.

Then Anna, who lives over the road and is bored of spending her days alone, seeks friendship with Phoebe and events take a dark turn.

Phoebe has secrets and is haunted by her past and Anna’s arrival in h
Published March 28th 2017 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about Undercurrent, please sign up.
J.A. Baker Sorry to hear your review wasn't accepted, I hope you have better luck later. Thank you for your question; its a really interesting one! I did want…moreSorry to hear your review wasn't accepted, I hope you have better luck later. Thank you for your question; its a really interesting one! I did want the river to be an omnipresent force within the story and become a character in its own right, full of threat and menace. However as the story progressed, the river also provided a backdrop to the sinister atmosphere needed to build a level of suspense required to keep the story flowing, so in answer to your question it was both!(less)

Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I was quite envious of Phoebe’s move to what is a very idyllic setting. The only off putting thing is walkers having the right of way past the end of the property, other than that though set out in the sticks with wonderful areas to walk around, it very much sounded like my dream home. Think Escape to the Country and you will get what I mean.

Sadly though it is apparent right from the start Phoebe has a lot on her plate. Her son lives abroad leaving Phoebe as the main carer for her disabled husba
Tammy
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
I STRUGGLED with this book. It seemed to drag on with details for pages about nothing really. I find that I don't connect with books that have an unreliable narrator and if I read that it does, I back away. I am happy that so many people loved it but happy that I finished finally.
Mark Tilbury
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The prologue of this novel grabs you immediately and pulls you into the story. I'd describe the story as tense and atmospheric, holding your attention well. The pace is steady rather than having loads of things happening at once - and this enables you to get inside the minds of the characters, which for me is a plus.
An impressive debut novel.
Joanne Robertson
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had heard an awful lot about this book from the blog tour that has taken place recently so that tagline is true, this IS the thriller everyone is talking about! Although saying that, this isn’t a “thriller” as such, but more of a slow burning , character driven suspense that keeps you on your toes with a select cast of interesting personalities-none of whom were particularly likeable!

I just loved the setting here and the use of the river that flowed through the narrative as pretty much the sta
John Hollenkamp
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uk-thrillers
Brilliant

A must read...clever...a well told story. Not what i normally would read, but highly recommend this superb thriller. I hope to read the next JA Baker.
Michelle Ryles
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed-shelf
Crikey! What a scorching debut from J.A. Baker. I saw lots of excitement on social media about Undercurrent on its release, so I didn't think twice about buying a copy for myself, although it is the curse of the blogger that books you buy tend to sit on your TBR pile a lot longer than they should. So I finally got round to picking up Undercurrent and couldn't put it down! I positively whizzed through it and loved every minute of it.

The prologue is one of those where you are shown a glimpse of th
Susan Hampson
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
Pure terror, desperation and fear that is what she felt. She wanted to be found but not be seen. Nothing was familiar, bleeding, battered and filthy, didn't mean anything to her because she was free and alive.  What an opening, I was left with an open mouth, a racing heart and one of those knowing feelings that you get when you have that perfect read in your hands.  And boy this was a little beauty!
The story then drops back 3 months as Phoebe and her disabled husband Martyn are moving into a vil
booksofallkinds
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the very first sentence, this novel throws you into the action where the danger and fear are palpable. Phoebe is hoping that moving to the small idyllic village of Cogglestone with her disabled husband, Martyn, will mark a fresh start in their lives and that their turbulent past may be left behind them. Acting as Martyn's carer and dealing with his moods, Phoebe understands that her life will never be simple, but she hopes for some peace and solitude from the memories that haunt them both. ...more
Misfits farm
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG! What a book! New neighbours have moved in across the road from Anna. Neighbours with a history. Nancy, a walker from a nearby village has gone missing a few days after they arrived. Anna’s brother Toby recognises the neighbour but can’t quite place her. Then Anna goes for a walk to watch the sunrise over the nearby river and she too can’t be found. We know the perpetrators from early on which to me is unusual, but this book still has that certain “je ne sais quoi” to keep you engrossed and ...more
Hilary Mortz
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some reviewers like to say that they 'spotted the twist' in the thrillers they read early on, but I don't want to do that - I want to be shocked and astonished, I want to be led gently along the wrong paths and rewarded by a big surprise at the end. J.A. Baker achieved all of this for me in 'Undercurrent' and I loved every minute.

Undercurrent is a very dark and atmospheric book - classic 'Northern Noir' if you like - and it does contain some disturbing physical and psychological violence, but it
Alexina
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With a prologue called "The Escape" that is descriptively written with tension and you unsure as to whose point of view it is... it left with me with dread, horror and full of fascination as to what had happened prior to these events.
Without a pause, this tempted me to read on.

The book is then set to three months earlier. To find out what has happened to make the events in "The Escape" unfold.

J.A. Baker schemes and maneuverers the story forward in a chilling and effective way.
We are introduced t
Elizabeth Berg
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really incredible book

I don't write about books because i don't want to be a spoiler so...
This book cannot be put down. It has a twist and by the time i figured it out there weren't very many pages left.
Love the book and looking for more books from this writer
Susan
Un-put-downable. I found this whole book mesmerising. If I could have read it all in one sitting, I would have. Highly recommended.
Livia Sbarbaro
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Undercurrent...is a chilling brilliant read with many twists in store.

Phoebe and her disabled husband move into a home by the sea..A beautiful big rambling house where Phoebe hopes to find quiet...Anna her neighbour ,a young mother of two boys tries to befriend Phoebe. Although Anna is happy she is a little lonely with her husband working so much..Phoebe though has a past ...and in this new home of hers nothing is quite as it seems...Then Nancy one of the villagers out for a walk by the rive
Nicki Southwell
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Phoebe has come home to the village where she grew up. They have bought the house next door to her childhood home and she shares it with husband Martyn. He had a serious accident a couple of years ago and is now disabled. Their only son lives and works overseas.

Bored and lonely, their neighbour Anna is the mother of two teenage boys and wife to Mike. She feels fed up with the day to day family life and usual squabbles breaking out with her sons. Mike works long hours so it rarely home. She is de
Sharon
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Phoebe moves into a quiet village with her disabled husband Martyn, the reader just gets a sense that all in the garden is not going to be rosy! Phoebe appears to have an ulterior motive for moving, one that is linked to her past. She is reluctant to get close to her neighbour, Anna, who seems desperate for company - #BadMove Anna, I was screaming at the pages...what a bad move! #Neighbours everyone loves good neighbours! But hell sometimes you just need to stay FAR AWAY!

Undercurrent opens
Marya Miller
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Curling up with a hard copy of J A Baker's "Undercurrent" is one of those absolute summer pleasures I will look back on with nostalgia--a total treat.

I never thought I'd say that about a novel so dark, but it was a fascinating and gripping read. The fact that we are able to both despise and sympathize with the main victim and villain at various points makes this tale even more horrific. I also thought I'd never thought I'd say I love a book written in the present tense--the latest publishing fad
Jane James
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Don’t go near the water.
This was such a fast paced read that I sped through it in no time at all. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I enjoyed the sensation I had that the author was playing with my mind, trying to lead me down the wrong path and trying to put me off the scent. I’m so pleased JA Baker didn’t go down the more conventional route of employing a detective to solve the crime as this made the read all the more rewarding. Yes the police were involved, in a slow bungling sort of way,
Wanda
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inticing!

Undercurrent by J. A. Baker is a psychological thriller that will leave you breathless!
Pheobe has had a hard life since the death of her sister Suzie. When she meets Anna she is always mistaken her for Suzie. In her warped mind Suzie has come back from the dead to be with her. But her disabled husband Martyn doesn't want anyone in the house. Be prepared for a wild ride with many twists and turns that will leave you guessing until the end of the book! I highly recommend reading this book
Lee
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is the kind of book that if too much is said you could easily give the story away, or what there is of it. For the first half of the book I was quite enthralled but for me the second half seemed to progress downhill. It became too unbelievable and over the top that I found myself skimming the pages which is not a great sign. I feel I may be in the minority here but it just did not work for me and I did not enjoy it.
Helen Lancaster Lancaster
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh Wow!!!

Loved this psychological book. My first read by this Author definitely won't be my last. It starts off as a couple Phoebe and Martyn move into a lovely new neighbourhood. Phoebe's neighbour Kate is very curious as all us mortals are and visits with a cake much to Phoebe's annoyance, but this is only the start of a brilliant story I couldn't put down. Thank you J.A. Baker 🔰😁😁
Ann Clucas
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story...

Good story...Kept me interested...but loads of errors...doesn't appear to have been ..... proof read....a bit off putting...would recommend it though...
Kyrene Chaudry
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant read!

Thoroughly enjoyed this book, plenty of twists and turns. A very good read. Denise read this one, you will enjoy it too!
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good book

I would recommend this book. Very suspenseful and a page turning thriller. This is the first book I have read by this author.
Dee Groocock
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by J A Baker and I loved it. A great storyline with twists throughout. A tense and gritty read.
Beatrice Schmidt
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great!!!

Superb book I couldn't put it down. It had me from page one.....I will be reading more of this writer!!!
Colette Lamberth
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The opening chapter definitely grabs your attention and makes you keen to see how events lead up to that point. I spoiled this book for myself by figuring some things out, pretty early on, that should have been revealed later on for dramatic effect.
Too many typos (missing or repeated words) in the kindle edition that should have been picked up by proof readers.
Netta Newbound
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I could read author's style of writing all day long - I loved it. The story was original, and although I worked out the ending fairly early on it didn't spoil it for me at all. A definite 5 star read.
Jackie Jackson
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, couldn't put it down
Luanne Hackney
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another page turner.

I am wanting to be careful, if I say to much as to give up to much for the next reader. So just know you will need to keep turning pages with this story.

• Do No Harm
  • The Snow Globe
  • Hell Bay (DI Ben Kitto, #1)
  • Sleep
  • Behind the Lie
  • The Replacement Wife
  • Pigen uden hud
  • The Housekeeper
  • Julien's Terror
  • A Suitable Lie
  • The Winter Folly
  • The Delilah Complex (Butterfield Institute, #2)
  • The Night Visitor
  • Bone by Bone
  • Everything Is Lies
  • Those Who Lie
  • The Sleepwalkers (Willi Kraus, #1)
  • The People at Number 9
J. A. Baker was born and brought up in the North East of England and Undercurrent was her debut novel, making it into the Top 100 on Amazon.

Her other books, Her Dark Retreat and The Other Mother, released in 2018 were Top 100 Bestsellers on Amazon, closely followed by Finding Eva, The Uninvited and The Cleansing which was released in April 2019.

The Woman at Number 19 is J. A. Baker's latest novel.
“Acceptance is easier than resentment and anger. So is forgiveness.” 0 likes