Start by marking “A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms: Level Up Your Core Programming Skills” as Want to Read:

If you last saw algorithms in a university course or at a job interview, you're missing out on what they can do for your code. Learn different sorting and searching techniques, and when to use each. Find out how to use recursion effectively. Discover structures for specialized applications, such as trees and graphs. Use Big O notation to decide which algorithms are best fo ...more
Paperback
Published October 25th 2017 by Pragmatic Bookshelf

Be the first to ask a question about A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms

Start your review of A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms: Level Up Your Core Programming Skills
Gabriel Paiva
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really sensitive explanations, easy to read but also with the necessary depth.
Mazin
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
The book is not as it was advertised on the book's page. I was expecting a lot more out of this book as it was published by Pragprog, but I was somewhat disappointed. The earlier chapters are decent and contain some good explanations that are not too jargony, which is a plus for non-CS readers. However, the later chapters where the material gets more interesting and intense like binary trees and graphs, I think the author decided to conveniently omit to explain some parts or even providing code ...more
Neeraj Krishna
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
while there are many books on the subject, this one stands out. Reason being the intuitive approach and the extra effort put by the author to elucidate each and every single step of the algorithm .
The book is language agnostic and code snippets were given in all the popular languages.
I used it as a supplement for the Udacity course - Data Structures and Algorithms.
Juan Ríos
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intuitive and practical. Explains from scratch common algorithms and data structure to improve your programming game.
Dilorom
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very well explained in a plain language. However, I wanted it to cover more topics or/and more in depth. I also liked how it alternates between Ruby, Python and JavaScript in the example scripts. Recommend it to beginners in the computer science field.
Patrick Coakley
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms is a fantastic entry-level look to data structures and algorithms that can also serve as a nice way to brush up if you've studied them in the past but got stuck on a few of the details. The amount of code samples and examples make it a really useful read for interview prep, as you can take a look at how to implement what you're studying in modern dynamic languages like Ruby, Python, or JavaScript. The author does a great job of making everyt ...more
Krishna Chaitanya
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Data Structures and Algorithms is a broad subject, often confusing and hard to grasp. This book stands out differently by choosing simple and easy-to-understand narrative with lots of diagrams and step-by-step explanations. Real life scenarios are considered as examples to explain a DS/Algorithm which makes it a fun read.

Few words of caution, this book is not an in-depth material, few coding samples are missed, multiple programming languages are used which is confusing.

For those who are students
Daylight Reviews
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've been developing software for computers since Win 3.1 (ca 1993). I have experience writing for numerous platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android) and innumerable programming languages (C++, C++/MFC, .NET/C#, JavaScript, etc) and technologies (web (HTML/CSS), ElectronJS)
Each year I search for a book that will shed some light on computer science related items (algorithms, data structures, etc.) Over the years I've seen the academic tomes (Knuth, Cormen, etc) and I generally read about 2-5 pag
Hafiz Hussain
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a fantastic book. If you are struggling with the foundation data structure and the analysis of algorithms, I will recommend this book. What can the reader expect from this book?
Once you complete this book, you can expect the below topic will be on your fingertips.
1. Big O for Time Complexity
2. Big O for SPace Complexity
3. Arrays ( Insertion, Deletion, Searching, Read Big O Time Complexity )
4. OrderedArrays ( Insertion, Deletion, Searching, Read Big O Time Complexity )
5. Linear and Bina
Sheeka
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My skill level - intermediate

I cannot recommend this book enough! It takes a topic that is pretty essential to understand if you care about developing good software, but one that is talked about in very mathematical and technical terms in most places, and presents it in easy to understand language.

The step-by-step, illustrated walkthroughs were a godsend and, while I don't by any means claim to be an expert in either data structures or algorithms after reading it, I do understand some concepts I
David Rissato Cruz
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is supposed to give you an overview for algorithms and I believed it would be a good refresher, but unfortunately it doesn’t delivery it. Although the chapter sequence is well chosen, there are errors in some examples that completely destroy the explanation. It also lacks of more information in areas that you should go deeper (even for a book which is intended to only scratch the surface) and also there is no consistency in which programming language is being used for the algorithms ac ...more
William Anderson
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This books serves as a great intro or refersher to the basics of algorithms. If you dont come from a comp-sci background or are just starting to get into coding this will help you understand what algorithms are and how some fundamental/common/basic ones work. More importantly this book will go over how to evaluate complexity of algorithms and aids in training a beginner on how to look for areas of code to optimize. A quick/fun well-written technical book.
Nate
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I earned my Bachelors in Computer Science 15+ years ago. I found this book to be a fantastic refresher of key concepts in data structures and algorithms, some of which I hadn’t given much thought since my college days. I also found that the author many times did a much better job at explaining these concepts than did some of my professors. I think someone in a similar situation as myself, who has familiarity with this topic but is a bit rusty, would be an ideal reader of the book.
Kaj Ström
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Great for beginners new to the topic. People with more history in computer science might find their fix of algorithms and data structures from more academic sources. The book does not go awfully deep into the subjects, but it is really easy to follow and the examples are really good.

Great way to get started with the topic. Would especially recommend this to people just getting started with programming in general.
Bodo Tasche
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
Nice book for people without a university background and want to start to understand what O(N) means or what basic data structures exist. I would highly recommend this to any person from a RailsGirls Learners group or other similar entry level. Sadly the book is a bit weaker at the last 25%, but it will get you started in learning more about the topics mentioned in the book.
Sergey Ponomarev
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is great if you're an independent developer without any CS grade. It deeps your slowly into basic concepts of algorithm complexity, Big O notation with trivial by classical examples like sorting, trees, and lists.

Alas! If you're already familiar with that stuff and didn't sleep on your CS lessons, you won't find anything new at all. Anyway, it could be worth to refresh your knowledge. I wish the author covered more topics.
Muhammad al-Khwarizmi
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked the down-to-earth approach and the relatively agnostic approach of switching between Python, Ruby and JavaScript for implementation. However exposition was occasionally muddled—the approach to partitioning struck me as unusual for example—and the text is a bit short. Increasing the content by 50% to a length of about 300 pages would probably be about ideal.
Pedro Santos
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Really liked the writing style and the way the problems are explained. It stays a 3* for me because:
* The title says "Level Up Your Skills", but this is basically an introductory book
* It says Second edition but it's still being written and there are a lot of gaps and chapters missing. I was expecting a finished product
bijan
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book, it's exactly as the title suggests: a common sense guide to data structure & algorithms!

It mostly solves the problems using Ruby, my favorite programming language and it gives enough of the theories that you understand, but doesn't bore you too much!
Nihar
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's an amazing book which explains algorithms in an easy to digest manner. A must read who is starting to understand algorithms, it will bring a lot of interest into how different kind of algorithms are chosen based on their performance and the trade off's made.
Eric
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book from start to finish, it is one of the cleanest explanations of algorithms and data structures I have read.
Behrooz
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even though I didn't learn anything new, I should note that it's beginner friendly and easy to read if you want to refresh your knowledge.
Ovidiu Neatu
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A simple step-by-step guide to the basics of algorithms.
Giustino Borzacchiello
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 53challenge
A good introduction to the subject for people who don't want to dive in the mathematics involved in algorithms and data structure.
Jesse Malinosky
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good refresher to quickly get a surface level understanding of some common data structures and algorithms.
Masoud Ghorbani
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great algorithm book with covering fundamental topics.
Hazel Sparks
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A good introduction, but way too short to call itself a guide.
Pavel
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: technology
Don’t take this book very seriously. It’s not precise, which is especially bad for beginners if they learn from it. You will need to re-learn.

Adel
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
For biginners!
Flower Red
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book is clear, easy to follow and contains good illustrated examples. BIG thumbs up from Egypt.

• The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • JavaScript: The Good Parts
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Clean Architecture
  • What Every Web Developer Should Know About HTTP (OdeToCode, #1)
  • 99 Bottles of OOP
  • The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change
  • Some Thoughts on Education and Political Priorities
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)
  • The Bhagavad Gita
  • My Early Life, 1874-1904
  • The Journey to the East
  • Ry's Git Tutorial
  • 30-Second Quantum Theory: The 50 most important thought-provoking quantum concepts, each explained in half a minute
  • Man and Technics: A Contribution to a Philosophy of Life
  • The Unicorn Project
  • Manage Your Project Portfolio

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »