Start by marking “Shattered Chains (Magic: The Gathering: Greensleeves, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shattered Chains (Magic: The Gathering: Greensleeves, #2)

Shattered Chains (Magic: The Gathering: Greensleeves #2)

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  378 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
"Spare us from plague, drought, and wizardly duels..."

To common folk like Gull and Greensleeves, wizards were a blight on the land. When Greensleeves discovered her own magical ability, she decided to use it to break the power of the other wizards.

Gull's army helped, but not much--and Gull wasn't much of a general. Their mana vault might have helped, but she hadn't learned
Published February 16th 1995 by HarperEntertainment

To ask other readers questions about Shattered Chains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shattered Chains

Myles
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Clayton Emery obliquely challenged Forstchen's Arena in Whispering Woods by shifting the emphasis of the story from a macho wizardly pissing contest to a real struggle of the 'little guy' versus the predations of wizards. Shattered Chains not only builds on the strengths of the book it also incorporates Noreen of Benalia and Garth One-Eye from Arena, last seen riding off into the sunset, literally. Of course.

The book starts a few years after the ending of Whispering Woods and Arena, Garth and No
Scott Johnson
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
I feel like the mythology is finally becoming a bit more solid in this one. A few things from Arena were retconned, which made sense. Turning those medallions for spells into just "oh wizards use these to remind them of things they've 'tagged' and places they've been" was kind of a clever way to undo the stupidest of precedents (though that still leaves the whole Ante aspect of wizard duels as a problem, but since they got rid of Ante in the game they just ignore it).

The cube thing turning out t
Israel Colunga
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
A better book than the previous one, more complex characters and a less naive than it's predecessor. MTG references are more closer to the card game on this one, i enjoyed that. Ultra cliche situations are still a thing, but, at least this was not a torture to read.
Josh
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but I'd be hard pressed to call it good. Halfway through, every single plot point has a convenient solution revealed a page or two later. What follows is simply a string of events that proceed as if on rails. No drama, no suspense. You don't see a character or object or spell coming per say, but eventually it becomes obvious that SOMETHING will just so happen to show up or be revealed that will solve the current problem.

The book is not without its charm though. I continue t
Chip Hunter
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
The characters from Arena and Whispering Woods (the first two MTG novels) are brought together in this book. Noreen (Garth's Benalian lover from the first book) plays an important role here, having an affair with Gull before finally getting back with Garth... While this one reads a little too much like a soap opera for me, there are still some of the gory and tragic incidents that make the MTG books worth reading.

The evolution of Gull's army into a real fighting force and Greensleeve's training
Pat
Oct 04, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a large step in this series. The first one made me not want to read it. However, this brought old characters and new ones to make up for the previous novels. The beginning took awhile to get started but once the plot was established had a good flow to it. I think the best part of the whole novel was the last third of the book. The characters that they met, the places they went, and the battles they fought were the best at the end. The resolution of the novel was well planned and it lays ...more
Canesgalactica
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was slightly better than its predecessor and includes some characters from the very first novel, Arena. A little faster paced and with a little more action, this was more enjoyable to read (for this reviewer anyway) than the previous two novels.

I also appreciated references to planes that Magic players will travel to in the future (at the time of the book's publication, anyway) and the fact that this novel references The Brother's War (the battle between Mishra and Urza) and gives a t
Karlie Nyte
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Not the best Magic novel that I've ever read, that's for sure. The book was entertaining, for the actual tie ins to the game. However, the characters didn't really develop that much, and frankly, the plot was poor. It's too bad really - I think the story could have had real potential. But - it was an entertaining book, even though poorly developed.
Stephen
I have really enjoyed this series so far. I think I rate it so highly only because I am a Magic: the Gathering player and this series is filled with game references and nostalgia for the cards that I remember from the early days of the game.
Nick
May 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, meh
Best part of the book: The dated cover.
  • Arena (Magic: The Gathering)
  • The Cursed Land (Magic: The Gathering)
  • Ashes of the Sun
  • Prophecy (Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle, #3)
  • The Eternal Ice (Magic: The Gathering: Ice Age Cycle, #2)
  • Nemesis (Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle, #2)
  • Planeshift (Magic: The Gathering: Invasion Cycle, #2)
  • The Prodigal Sorcerer (Magic: The Gathering)
  • Mercadian Masques (Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle, #1)
  • The Colors of Magic (Magic: The Gathering: Anthology, #4)
  • Planeswalker (Magic: The Gathering: Artifacts Cycle, #2)
  • Rath and Storm (Magic: The Gathering: Anthology, #3)
  • Bloodlines: The Story of Urza's Destiny (Magic: The Gathering: Artifacts Cycle, #4)
  • Tapestries (Magic: The Gathering: Anthology, #1)
  • Chainer's Torment (Magic: The Gathering: Odyssey Cycle, #2)
  • The Fifth Dawn (Magic: The Gathering: Mirrodin Cycle, #3)
19559
Clayton Emery is an umpteen-generations Yankee, Navy brat, and aging hippie who grew up playing Robin Hood in the forests of New England.

He's been a blacksmith, dishwasher, schoolteacher in Australia, carpenter, zookeeper, farmhand, land surveyor, volunteer firefighter, and award-winning technical writer.

He's a member of the Mystery Writers of America and Science Fiction/Fantasy Writers of America
More about Clayton Emery...

Magic: The Gathering: Greensleeves (3 books)
  • Whispering Woods (Magic: The Gathering: Greensleeves, #1)
  • Final Sacrifice (Magic: The Gathering: Greensleeves, #3)