Start by marking “Interesting Times: The Play” as Want to Read:
Interesting Times: The Play

Interesting Times: The Play (Discworld Stage Adaptations)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  19,707 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
A new stage adaptation of one of Pratchett's best-selling novels

The Discworld's most inept wizard has been sent from Unseen University in Ankh-Morpork to the oppressive Agatean Empire to help some well-intentioned rebels overthrow the Emperor.

He's assisted by toy-rabbit-wielding rebels, an army of terracotta warriors, a tax gatherer and a group of seven very elderly barbar

Paperback, Stage Adaptation, 102 pages
Published July 4th 2002 by Bloomsbury Methuen Drama (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Interesting Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interesting Times

Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Seymour by: Mark Richardson
As with all of the Discworld books I have been devouring, this is ingenious, fantastic and very funny. Never a dull moment, and never expected, though also very satisfying when completed, I have to rush to the next one for new means of escape. I am ecstatic to be able to borrow these from Mark, and read them on the bus everyday. I will be quite sorrowful when he runs out . . . though there is yet no sign of that.

I would recommend all of his books, especially the later ones, as the best fantasy a
Feb 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm not a fan of Rincewind stories to begin with, but this was absolute agony to read. The conflation of all the various Asian cultures into one monoculture is I guess supposed to be parody but now just reads as appallingly racist. Awful, awful, awful.
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political
I read this book last year, and just finished listening to the Audiobook (Read by Nigel Planer) with my children. "Interesting Times" is the fifth book in the Rincewind series, in case you want to read them in order here they are:
[Book: The Color of Magic]
[Book: The Light Fantastic]
[Book: Sourcery]
[Book: Eric]
[Book: Interesting Times]
[Book: The Last Continent]

To fully appreciate this book, I would suggest reading at least the first two of the series first since those are the ones that explain th
Edward Johnson
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
INTERESTING TIMES by Terry Pratchett has got to be one of the most fun I've had reading since someon gave me the first two books of THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TRILOGY in 1980. It is such a welcome wild ride into intelligently written insanity that it was difficult to put it down. This is the first Discworld novel I have actually read, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to sit down with a good book and enjoy the fun. INTERESTING TIMES is not my introduction to Discworld. I found the COLOR ...more
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ahhh. Gotta love more Discworld. I had this in audio form, kept going on trips that weren't *quite* long enough, and having to restart. Even so, I liked it so much that once I was finished I went straight back and listened to it all again. I love how that's not really a mistake with a Pratchett book - I kept laughing at jokes I'd missed the first time around.
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Terry Pratchett's original Discworld protagonist, the sad sack wizard Rincewind goes to the Disc's equivalent of China to meet his old friend the tourist Two Flower.
Dead Penguin
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book really hook me up at the second half. The first half was a bit chewy to read but for the second half I would definitely give 4 or 5 stars.

I noticed that quite many people dislike Rincewind as character; he is indeed quite special but I really love his mindset and his encounters with Death (lovely bloke by the way; you should meet him!).

Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I know I've read this book before, but I can't remember when. Still, Terry Pratchett is like reading candy for me. His books are delightful and always such a treat.

Craig was reading this when I went out to Virginia in October, so when I came back and found "Interesting Times" in the book exchange box, I felt it was a good time for a bit of re-reading.

I like that most of Pratchett's books (at least with Discworld) often revolve around a theme. "Interesting Times" revolves a bit around China/Japan
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I confess I'm not the biggest fan of Rincewind. I tend to prefer the books with the Witches or the Night Watch as the primary characters. The friend who introduced me to the Diskworld books about a decade ago was a huge fan of the character, but I just don't really go for his sort of milquetoast, cowardly personality type. The only reason I have any particular fondness for seeing Rincewind is that, wherever he goes, the Luggage generally follows. And the Luggage is pure awesome.

So, between the c
May 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-adult
The Unseen University needs to send a wizard - make that 'wizzard' - to the Counterweight Continent. But they need someone expendable. That someone, of course, is Rincewind. Using Hex, a complicated new machine that seems to think on its own, they first summon Rincewind from his peaceful island hideout and then blast him into the unknown.

Rincewind, as anyone could have predicted, gets into trouble almost immediately. It seems the Counterweight Continent is in the middle of a Somewhat Aggressive
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Пътищата пратчетови срещат Ринсуинд с Коен Варварина, 90-95 годишния герой (и той вече не помни на колко е), който е тръгнал да покорява Империята с неговата пенсионерска дружина, наречена Сребърната орда. Първото име на Коен Варварина е Чингис, което сякаш е своеобразна алюзия за монголските нахлувания в древен Китай. Пратчет ни е представил закачливо този далекоизточен свят, заедно с историята му, изпълнена с преврати, непрекъсната борба между отделните династии (в случая са пет: Фанг, Танг, Х ...more
Cynthia Egbert
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-and-read
This DiscWorld book plays off of what I see as my favorite "self-help" book, The Art of War by Sun Tzu. It is satire at its very finest...what more can I say! And this book has Rincewind and Luggage and TwoFlower is back! Here are some favorite quotes:

"According to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle, chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."

"His policy was to find one person and make their life difficult until every
Jun 07, 2009 rated it liked it
I find that Pratchett's earlier work (mostly featuring Rincewind) leaves me cold.

His later works are far more sophisticated, with more clever jokes and pointed satire - the ones published at the beginning of his career definitely show his progression from an amateur humorist to a novelist of the highest calibre.

Sadly, Interesting Times is at the lower end of the scale. It feels like he kind of just crammed as much as he could of all the Oriental stereotypes in fantasy literature into the book,
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Following the initial Discworld stories, "Color of Magic" and "The Light Fantastic," this is another one that tells of events in the life of the character, Rincewind. A few other characters which were introduced in the first Discworld books return and are also major players in the story. (I'll not add any spoilers.) I'm not sure this is one of my favorite story lines so far in my reading of Discworld books, but the reputation of Terry Pratchett's skill with humor and satire is upheld. If you pla ...more
Nov 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I just finished rereading this book. It's a good Pratchett.
Lord Vetinari receives a strange message from the Agatean Empire, "Send Us Instantly The Great Wizzard". If it is not Archchancellor Ridcully of the Unseen University, could it be the Dean (size) or is the misspelling of the word wizard the clue? Could it be ... No! Seriously. You can't be considering to send Rincewind.
Why does the Agatean Empire need the Great Wizzard? All because someone wrote the revolutionary book "What I did on My H
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: discworld
The edge of the world, dangling dangerously on top of a disappearing dragon, the Dungeon Dimensions.....Rincewind the Wizzard always seems to have an adventure waiting for him everywhere he goes. But just when it looks like he'll be living the rest of his days in a small and blissful island, he's chosen by Lady Luck, in a game of chess between the gods, as a pawn in what turns out to be a war of Discworld-ian proportions.

On the same side is a group of ancient barbarians - The Horde - who, along
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, humor, 2012
Okay, I figured out why I didn't like Terry Pratchett the first time I tried to get into him. It's because the first time, I tried to start reading the Discworld books in order, and the early Rincewind novels BORE ME TO TEARS. This one is not super early, but it's not Pratchett at his best either. I know it's humor, but it seems to me that if you're going to write a full-length novel there should still be some, y'know, actual characterization. Rincewind isn't even a character, he's a one-line jo ...more
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
I can't believe I'm giving a Pratchett book only 2 stars, and wondering if that's not actually one star too many. This book overflows with sour notes. The gentle, sly mocking of an entire nation (something Pratchett is quite good at, usually) veers a little too close to hurtful stereotype at times. And why did he think that the frequent jokes about rape and sexual assault (mostly made by Cohen and his crew - Cohen admonishes their scholar to allow one of the men his "wishful thinking" about rapi ...more
Michael M
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An ancient, powerful, but calcifying empire, threatens a smaller but dynamic country and the only thing standing in their way is a wizard with no magical powers, but a hat with the word "Wizzard" written on it, Cohen the Barbarian and his senile Silver Hoard plus the extremely polite children of the revolutionary Red Army!

Terry Pratchett is on top form with this book. The narrative moves at a pace, the humour is constant and there are (in my case anyway) a few "laugh out loud" moments.

The Discwo
Jan 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people that have nothing better to do.
Recommended to Jack by: Kat
Okay, I guess I just don't get it. This is the third Pratchett book I've slogged through (others are "Monstrous Regiment" and "Guards! Guards!"). Each time I've picked up one of his books on a "recommedation from a friend, I keep expecting some decent humor in the vein of Goulart or Asprin.

I like British humor. I'm a huge "Python" and "Black Adder" fan. I have a very dry sense of humor myself. But these books barely rate a "tee-hee." I'm sorry, but I do NOT see what makes this guy such a "great
Cory Hughart
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Rincewind is back... and gone again. Off to the counter-weight continent, a place which resembles our China. It seems there is a peasant uprising, and they need the help of the "Great Wizzard" of legend. Is Rincewind really the wizard they're after? Someone from Rincewind's past seems to think so... Meanwhile, a certain barbarian of legend (he is old enough for it to be legend by now) is learning all about civilization, and is on the counter-weight continent to steal the largest treasure on the ...more
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Classic Discworld with plenty of Pratchett's usual humor. This time, its jokes and plot revolve around asian culture, with the majority of the book taking place on the counterweight continent; Discworlds equivalent of, well, Eastern Asia but most predominantly China. As is often the case with Pratchett, he mostly takes the piss out of the subject matter, in this case the culture.. which is just fine of course if done properly. However, I thought it fell a bit short this time, often using shallow ...more
Sep 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-recently
I was introduced to Terry Pratchett about a year a go and after reading "The Fifth Elephant" was instantly hooked. In "Interesting Times", Pratchett paints another of his hilariously satirical scenarios in which his endearing characters find themselves in completely absurd political and personal situations. Pratchett is like Fantasy meets Monty Python meets Franz Kafka. He pokes fun at everything, while treating his readers to a gloriously fun (and very, very strange) yet thought-provoking read. ...more
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny
I never really liked Rincewind much until this I read Interesting Times. I can't say why I didn't like him before, or what about this book changed my mind, but change my mind it did. In a typically madcap Rincewind adventure that explores--though not as deeply as it could, or as I would have liked--just how much control one has over one's life, and how much is influenced by Luck and Fate, Rincewind the Wizzard finds himself thrust into a conflict on the Counterweight Continent. We see the return ...more
Pedro León
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
El protagonista vuelve a ser Rincewind, el que inicia la saga. El imperio de Agatea pide a Ankh-Morpork su gran "echicero" y la universidad invisible decide enviar a Rincewind. En esta entrega descubrimos que el baúl con patas no es único y que el efecto mariposa es algo más de lo que pensábamos. ;)

Otro personaje que me encanta y es protagonista de esta historia es Cohen, un bárbaro ya mayorcito que con su "horda" de abueletes despacha ninjas y samurais como si de colegialas se tratase. En fin,
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
My first Rincewind novel. Unfortunately I read it in German first and it was hardly entertaining. I switched the the English books soon after that one (iirc the last German Pratchett I read was Hohle Köpfe, Feet of Clay) and it was a complete new experience and I suddenly realised how much damage a bad translator who tries to be funnier than the author can do.
Rincewind is sent involuntary to Bes Pelargic where he meets his old friend Twoflower again. To his surprise he is a fabled hero there an
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Of all the Discworld stories that I have read, I really enjoy the Rincewind (and the Luggage) stories. Poor Rincewind just wants a quiet life, but things just happen to him :-) His most frequest phrase is probably "Ohsh*tsh*tsh*t. I'm going to die!".
I love the way that Terry Pratchett uses a parallel world/life to set up his stories. This story included the Terracotta army and other chinese-type comparisons. I won't tell you where Rincewind ends up, but a later story in the series carries his ad
Martin Willoughby
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
By this stage in the discworld series, Pratchett has settled into the styel and humour. That said, it's a damn funny read with some 'near the knuckle' jokes.

Rincewind is back as is his friend Twoflower from The Colour of Magic. Alongside them, the luggage makes an appearance but doesn't save the day. Instead it becomes a father.

Genghiz Coehn and six other heroes make their confident appearance taking on 250,000 soldiers and the usual assortment of villains get their comeuppance.

The jokes, puns a
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Many people don't like the Rincewind series too much, preferring the Death or Watch series', but I think they're fantastic, in the most literal sense. The joke that Rincewind is a coward and always runs from danger runs a bit thin after the 10,204th time, but his adventures are full of swashbuckling fights, lots of magic and some very inventive fantasy writing. And Pratchett's biting sense of humour is alive on every page.

This book is based on the parody of Asian culture, which is painted with
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I mixed up the order on this book and The Last Continent, reading the later first. Oops. In Interesting Times Rincewind is back again and this time flung into the Agatean Empire, a thinly veiled parody of ancient China. Add in some aging barbarians (the only highlight of the book for me), the eponymous sapient pearwood trunk and the occasional wizard intervention.

I've said before that the Rincewind books are my least favorite and this book didn't change that attitude. I'd call the entire book a
Goodreads Librari...: Book (wrongly?) changed to stage adaptation 2 26 Mar 16, 2013 03:44PM
Goodreads Librari...: Play adaptation combined with novels 2 28 Dec 10, 2012 06:32AM
  • The Last Continent (Discworld, #22; Rincewind #6)
Stephen Briggs is a British writer of subsidiary works and merchandise surrounding Terry Pratchett's comic fantasy Discworld. He is also a narrator of many Discworld audiobooks
who graduated from Curtin University with a double major in Theatre Arts and Creative Writing before attending WAPPA and studying Broadcasting. Midway through his time there he decided he didn't want to be a journo and moved
More about Stephen Briggs...

Discworld Stage Adaptations (9 books)
  • Guards! Guards!: The Play
  • Maskerade: The Play
  • Wyrd Sisters: The Play
  • Mort: The Play
  • Men at Arms: The Play
  • Making Money: The Play
  • The Truth: Stage Adaptation
  • Terry Pratchett's Lords And Ladies: Play (The Play)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.” 618 likes
“Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages, and just scream in another forty-four.” 135 likes