Start by marking “Interaction Design: Beyond Human-Computer Interaction” as Want to Read:

Interaction Design: Beyond Human-Computer Interaction

The classic text, Interaction Design by Sharp, Preece and Rogers is back in a fantastic new 2nd Edition! New to this edition:

Completely updated to include new chapters on Interfaces, Data Gathering and Data Analysis and Interpretation, the latest information from recent research findings and new examples Now in full colour A lively and highly interactive Web site that w
Published March 1st 2007 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2001)

Erik
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Take a solid usability concept, slap an acronym on it, wait, then change it slightly and slap a new acronym in it, wait, then slice one piece out of it and give it it's own acronym, wait..lather, rinse, repeat.

Okay, that may be extreme, but that's how this book felt while I was reading it. Solid concepts explained repeatedly under different names. Usability engineering is not easy, but it doesn't need to be artificially inflated either. This book could be half its length and still get all points
Justin
Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it
It never fails to amaze me how so much of school is about formalizing terms for common sense. This book is no exception. There are some interesting bits (including analysis of interactions between users in online groups/clubs/games/orgies) and some interviews with usability and UI professionals, which I liked.
Jenifer
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very useful tool as I study HCID!
Megan
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I assigned this book for my Human Computer Interaction course this semester. I like that it has a lot of relevant examples, and it focuses on important aspects of the field instead of trying to cover everything. It is a good overview, with enough meat to support a semester introductory HCI course. I wish their activities didn't have the answers on the same page though, as it makes it difficult to ask students to think through them as they read; it doesn't encourage independent thought. I also ha ...more
Michele
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: university
Lots of good stuff, but various examples were too subjective and didn't really cover most of the cases.
I have skipped some parts, I have to admit, since they were not useful to my research.
Calvin
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book with wonderful examples, case studies and online material.
Sondre
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dropped
Felt like an encyclopaedia of terms and definitions from the field of interaction design, and did not provide any further insight into the field. What I found somewhat interesting was the occasional historic information and the interviews with various interaction design pioneers.
Cinnamon Toast READ
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had to read this for school. It was ok I guess, but don't read it unless you are assigned it for school.
Raquellis
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this back during my master's degree. Awesome resource that still resides in my office.
Derek Baldwin
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it
this is a set book for my OU module and while I stand by my earlier progress review the Achilles heel is how outdated it is. Its a quick moving field, of course, but the examples are sometimes quite laughably lame, and what the text implies are bold new web initiatives turn out to be defunct on more than one occasion. Having read a fair bit of the book now, in a non linear fashion, i have to say its pitched too low (e.g. explaining what the difference is between open and closed questions, gee, t ...more
While this book does have some helpful complements to my Interaction Design and Evaluating Interactive Systems course it does so in such a bland and boring manner that is all too common with school books. This book needs to be heavily edited for redundancy, to improve clarity and to overall be less of a snore so it can actually articulate the helpful information within without putting the reader to sleep.
Mike
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A set text from my recent degree, which I had to skip through to complete the study module within the time set. Having re-read it in detail I cannot recommend it highly enough for anyone who wants a detailed understanding of Interaction Design processes.

The book comes with a great set of online study aids also, including video, powerpoint, and lots and lots of recommended further reading.
Karla Kitalong
I've assigned this book for my undergraduate course. It's hefty, but focused on usability/user-centered design, so I hope it will be a good choice. I'm not totally comfortable with the order of the chapters. Because I read the last 25% in 2011, and because I'll read it again alongside the students, I'm counting it as a 2011 book.
Mike
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a set text this has proved very useful, although many of the reference sources are now out of date. This has proved a very thought-provoking and interesting introduction to the science of human computer interaction.
Emil
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At my university we have the course "Interaction Design", where this book is reading material. I don't find the course too exciting, but the books is totally worth reading while taking the course. It covers a lot of areas.
Harry
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. It is easy to understand and to teach to other people.
Sarismartinez
Oct 11, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: yes
Great textbook to understand the psychology of humans interacting with technology. How humans need to communicate within each other, getting involved emotionally utilizing technology as a very powerful tool.
Timothy
This isn't a strong subject for me; I enjoy reading about new interface models but find the best practices to be terribly boring. I do, however, want to recognize what a well-constructed textbook this is.
Norah Shalhoub
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved it, it helps you to know how to develop interactive products that are usable -effective to use-.
Elviszzh
Feb 03, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
zzz
BUDOOR
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Very interesting, this book is the core place to start before thinking about technology & multimedia design.
Neil
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: textbooks
I am reading this book for a class of the same name. So far I really like it. Easy to read with good information. I wish the class I read it for was as good as the book.
Joe Nickence
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I picked this up at my local Goodwill store. I keep telling myself I *need* to read this.
kate
Apr 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, usability
Reading for HCI 440 - Usability Engineering.
Gry Askaa
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Too long, could have explained the same in 1/3 of the pages. However good introduction to HCI
Alexandra
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: art-design
Although not thoroughly read; I followed a course covering this book and in my opinion it contains a lot of interesting approaches and helpful starting points for user research and testing.
Jan
Probably the most comprehensive and authoritative interaction design (HCI) textbook as of now.
Kap
Dec 21, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Marty Tormoe Yo
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's a very good book if you are in this field. I agree with most of their research though it is quickly becoming dated.
Hannah
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's just say I'm glad it's over. :)

• Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction
  • The Persona Lifecycle : Keeping People in Mind Throughout Product Design
  • Usability Engineering
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • Designing Visual Interfaces: Communication Oriented Techniques
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Yvonne Rogers is a Professor of Interaction Design, the director of UCLIC and a deputy head of the Computer Science department at UCL. Her research interests are in the areas of ubiquitous computing, interaction design and human-computer interaction. A central theme is how to design interactive technologies that can enhance life by augmenting and extending everyday, learning and work activities. T ...more