Start by marking “Speaking Our Truth: A Journey of Reconciliation” as Want to Read:
Speaking Our Truth: A Journey of Reconciliation

Speaking Our Truth: A Journey of Reconciliation

Canada's relationship with its Indigenous people has suffered as a result of both the residential school system and the lack of understanding of the historical and current impact of those schools. Healing and repairing that relationship requires education, awareness and increased understanding of the legacy and the impacts still being felt by survivors and their families. ...more
Published September 19th 2017 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Speaking Our Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speaking Our Truth

David Schaafsma
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just reread Secret Path by Gord Downie and Jeff Lemire and Wenjack by Robert Boyden that would be useful to read in conjunction with this YA non-fiction book that tries to put as positive a spin as it can on the horrific history of Canadian Residential Schools. I read it for my Fall 2017 YAL class.

For those who don't know, these schools were for close to 150 years the places where the Canadian government placed children they had taken by force from First Nations families, by force. They were
Krystal
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a revelation! Every Canadian needs to read this and put reconciliation into practice! It provides insightful history and recommendations towards a more equitable future for all, and I hope fellow settlers pay attention to how we can be better allies together.
The horror that was the residential schools is explored in this book that talks about what happened and what can be done to reconcile all that has gone before, for previous generations, and existing generations, by talking to survivors of the residential school system, as well as with youths of today who are only now learning about this horrid history.

For thos who don't know, the residential schools are schools where the Canadian government took children of First Nations' people, by force, and p
Lydia Wednesday
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even though this is a kids' book, it was amazingly informative.

This book is also emotionally heavy, but something that is important for everyone to know. I would recommend using this book as a way to start the conversation with children about the trauma that the First Nations suffered, and similar trauma that has been inflicted on indigenous peoples around the world. As this can be a frightening subject, I would definitely suggest reading the book is spurts and unpacking what was read with kids
Abby
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ownvoices
Priceless resource for talking about Residential Schools and Canada's Reconciliation process with young people--the United States should take notes. Earnestly, thoughtfully, truthfully written for indigenous and non-indigenous youth alike, the book incorporates many opportunities for reflection and self-care. This should be a classroom text!
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Tricia
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is a very informative book about the history of residential school system in Canada.
Laura Gardner
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 for this amazing nonfiction book about the residential schools in Canada that were so devastating for indigenous families in the 1800s through the 196”s, forcibly removing children from their families and attempting to erase their culture. The lasting impact of Canada’s racist past is detailed clearly here, as are the attempts of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission to come to grips with that past. I can’t help wondering when we will reconcile with our racist past (and present) here i ...more
Angela
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
How do you write a book that honestly portrays the horror that was residential schools in Canada in an age appropriate fashion for young people, while providing hope for the future? What a massive undertaking! This book is a great place for learners to start. The deeper thinking questions are wonderful for individual contemplation or group discussion and for those who want to dig further into this issue there are many suggested resources.

While discussing the wrongs that were committed through re
Brenda D
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book that should be required reading for all Canadian students. It deals with a tragic period in Canadian history in a way that is straightforward and yet compassionate - asking all readers to take their own steps towards fostering reconciliation. There are many stories and suggested activities and I hope each school has purchased several copies and teachers are actively using it in the classroom!
Tiffany
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
After seeing Monique speak at an Aboriginal Education Symposium, I decided to read her book. It is a comprehensive book using language simple enough for young readers and in my opinion, should be an important addition to the Canadian school curriculum. Truth and Reconciliation cannot happen if our young people (and everyone else, for that matter) do not learn about Canada's history of the persecution of our Indigenous peoples.
Marcie
Although this appears to be a lot like a textbook it's Canadian bent makes it both very interesting and seem a bit foreign. p. 31 has a great box on how to LOOK AFTER YOURSELF as you read the effect of Europeans on the Indigenous people. Lots to think about and unfortunately it was due back at the Library before I finished it.
Kat
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This non-fiction text is filled with thinking/discussion prompts that work toward reconciliation. The additional information (i.e., reading lists, organizations) sparks interest in delving deeper and working toward social justice. An essential read for older elementary and high school students in Canada.
Jasmine
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book for intermediate and middle grade students to learn more about residential schools and reconciliation. It's presented in a highly readable fashion, and has a lot of personal stories and reflections from children and adults. Even for adults, if you don't know a lot about the state of Indigenous affairs in Canada, this is a great primer.
Tammy Flanders
Very informative and reflective book. I can see this as an incredible classroom resource but really, anyone reading this will come away knowing a lot more about Indigenous history and Reconciliation in Canada. I appeciated the author’s personal tone especially.
Karen
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every Canadian should read this book. Every school should have a copy. It's essential we understand and acknowledge our past in order to find a fair and just future.
Jon
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must-purchase for schools and classrooms. Excellent, age-appropriate overview of residential schools for middle-grade readers.
Marcie
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indigenous-books
Essential reading for anyone regarding Truth and Reconciliation in Canada.
Vickie T
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: indians, non-fiction
Tough topic to write about for kids. She did a pretty good job.
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this as a part of a Reconciliation Book Club through FCSSBC. Written for kids (maybe 8-12?), it was a good source of information, and stories from survivors and their families.
Carly
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every Canadian must read this book!
Luciana Babocci
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well written, easy to understand, very informative & a must read for all Canadians!
Kfladager