Start by marking “Countless” as Want to Read:
Countless

Countless

'Is there anything that's concerning you?’ Felicity says. ‘College, home, boyfriends?' Though she's more or less smiling at this last one.

I don't smile. Instead, I feel my face go hot. Silence stretches as wide as an ocean.
Published May 4th 2017 by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc

To ask other readers questions about Countless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Countless

Start your review of Countless
Sarah Elizabeth
(I received a digital copy of this book for free. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK & ANZ) and NetGalley.)

“So this is the deal I’m making: Nia and I call a truce. When the baby is safely here and I’ve found it some proper parents, then Nia can have me back. All I have to do is eat for seventeen weeks and then everything will be like it was before.”

This was a contemporary story about a girl with anorexia who discovered she was pregnant.

Hedda was really torn in this story, alter
Charlotte May
"Oh I believe in something all right."
"Like what?"
"I don't know. The way a butterfly looks, it's symmetry. The smell of conkers. Cut grass. Snow. How much better the world would be without people in it."

Countless was a fantastic surprise!
I don't tend to lean towards YA contemporaries very much, but I find I nearly always enjoy them!
It focuses on teenager Hedda, who finds herself pregnant. On top of this she has been suffering with anorexia for years - the disease she personifies and refers to
Dannii Elle
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a contemporary YA with a difference. There is little romance. There is no magic cure for the problems that arise. The protagonist is no special little snowflake.

This is a very real and very raw portrayal of a very real issue. It battles mental health, family dynamics, social stigmas and self-image in one poignant story. Nothing is romanticised or sugar-coated and Gregory, instead, simply delivers one of the most poignant and painful reads I have ever experienced. I am so thankful to thi
Cora Tea Party Princess
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Family, love, compromise, friendship, hope.

That was heart breaking.

Totally heartbreaking.

I had expected Countless to be triggering to me. But actually, I loved reading Hedda's story. It wasn't until near the end that it started getting to me and by then I was so invested that I couldn't put it down. But I was OK.

Hedda is not special, she's not "not like other girls", she's not magically cured. This story was SO REAL and so relatable for me. There's no hand-holding or sugar-coating, no g
Trish at Between My Lines
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, library, ya, 2017
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

Countless by Karen Gregory hits a myriad of emotions, and caused me countless tears.  The emotions jumped straight from the page to strike me where it hurt.  In the heart, in the gut.  All over.  Because it's such a realistic portrait of an eating disorder, and I ached while reading it.

First Line of Countless by Karen Gregory

"The cigarette between my fingers is thin, insubstantial."

Thoughts on Countless by Karen Gregory

Hedda has co
Kelly
Warning: This book and review both talk about an eating disorder, please do not read on if this may trigger you in any way.

Wow. This book had a real hold on my heart and emotions from the very first pages and that grip only tightened as the story went on. I felt like I was with Hedda on her journey and so wanted to wrap her up in cotton wool and take care of her.

From experiences on the unit, to counting calories, exercising and that voice in her head, Hedda’s anorexia, or Nia as she calls it, is
Trevor
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Initially, this was only going to be a 3 star read for me, but the intensity of the last 20% of the book bumped it up a bit. While this was a fast read, I took major bouts in between. Not because it was a bad book by any means (although I did find the beginning slow-paced & the some of the MC's actions repetitive), but because of the overall overwhelming feeling of it all. With that said, I'm putting a trigger warning for EDs, specifically anorexia.

Seventeen year old Hedda has found herself in a
Kaysia (bookskay)
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
i learnt so much from this book and am super glad i picked it up. it's got such a unique premise, however it is one that is very important. i was super affected by the characters, and especially could not stop bawling towards the end. i think some things were a little rushed in the conclusion but the main storyline that occurred was so vital to have every bit included that i understand why the end was so quick.
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bloomsbury
4.5 Stars
At seventeen years of age, Hedda is anorexic and living alone in a small, damp apartment with threadbare flooring, without a pension and without parental support. After a one night stand, now discovers she's pregnant. Hedda has spent her teen years unable to maintain control over her body image, resulting in an eating disorder that has consumed Hedda whilst devastating her family. Living within the treatment centre, the predominantly female adolescent residents have attended counselling
Bee
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel like the main character wasn't anything more than her eating disorder, so that was disappointing...but I enjoyed the beginning!
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mh-book-bingo
My second book of #MHBookBingo is complete! :D This story was very interesting and difficult and emotional but I really enjoyed it. I don't have experience of an ED myself so I can't comment exact on what the rep is like but from what I know experience of friends etc I think this dealt with it very well, I'm pretty sure it's ownvoices too which is always good. I'll hopefully get a proper review up soon but this was really good!
Hannah
I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This is painful and beautiful and heartbreaking and real and oh so beautiful.

I loved Hedda, I found her to be completely relateable and realistic. I loved how determined she was to get through her pregnancy without damaging her baby due to her illness and was so happy that she managed it. I also loved her attitude after Rose was born, she so wanted to be a perfect mum and my heart broke for her when she stru
Kirsty Hanson
It took me quite a while to read this book. Not because it was bad - far from it. It was just a very hard read but was about a subject that is very important to read and learn about. I had heard loads of hype about this book about five months ago and the hype lasted for about a week and then I didn't hear anything after that. Well, this is me bringing back the hype, because it's out next week and I think everyone should read this.

When Hedda discovers she is pregnant, she doesn’t believe she coul
Priya
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book because it was so honest and raw. You really got attached to Hedda and I personally really cared for her. It’s a beautiful story of love and one you don’t often find because normally stories about love are romances. I would give it a 4.5 and recommend it to anyone who loves a deep and raw book which includes difficult real life issues.
Abbie
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

Hedda was in a really difficult situation in this, and I really sympathized with her.

There were parts in this that dragged slightly for me, but it wasn't too bad thankfully.

Overall, An okay read.
Michelle
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Countless and I had a rollercoaster of a ride, but I'm happy I queued up and waited my turn. A lot of my worries with the book were solved when I learned that the author herself had suffered from an ED, and as I have not, I took this book as educational.

FIRSTLY, can I just say how thankful I am that this is a good book set in England? I loooove finding books that go into detail about the outside world, and when that world is ENGLAND which I understand, it's like a lovely little treat - Alice Os
Sigourney
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Received from NetGalley for review.

Countless is a heart-breaking story; it ripped my heart out and didn’t entirely put it back. It tells the story of a very troubled girl, seventeen-year-old Hedda, who has been in and out of hospital most of her life for anorexia and now finds herself pregnant. I imagine it’s hard enough being pregnant without being so young, living in a grubby flat because your parents don’t want your ‘corrupting influence’ on your younger sister, and being in the throes of
Alyce Hunt
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am SOBBING. I knew there was a reason I didn't read this book in one sitting, because it would have DESTROYED me. I've been reading it so regularly, even if it was only a chapter at a time, and I don't know how I'm supposed to say goodbye to Hedda. I love her so much, it feels like I've gained a sister by reading this.
Full review coming in a couple of days, and it's going to be a gushing one.

EDIT 29/07/17:

First of all, I need to say a huge thank you to Bloomsbury Publishing, who accepted my r
15TindallL
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book, I think it was a great storyline and it really hooked you in. The summery: a 17 year old girl fighting anorexia falls pregnant, she's deciding weather or not to keep the baby or even have it (I won't say what she decides because that's a spoiler), but the rest of the book is how she deals with the pregnancy and her eating disorder
Tanvi
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, 2019
I thought this was okay.
I really liked how the pregnancy & birth was depicted, it was extremely real & might've been the best I've ever read.

The depiction of an eating disorder, institutionalisation was also relatively okay. What I did not like not like was how the therapist & therapy was shown, the therapist almost seemed distant & that’s not how therapy is supposed to be.
I also felt like the author added unnecessary things to the story to make it more complex & I am not sure if that was rea
Stacey
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2017
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for proving me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

"Is there anything that's concerning you?’ Felicity says. ‘College, home, boyfriends?' Though she's more or less smiling at this last one.

When I look up, Felicity has this expression on her face like she's just seen Elvis. Slowly, she leans forward and in a gentle voice I've never heard her use before she says,
Aimee
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven’t read a lot of books dealing with eating disorders and teen pregnancy. So I was looking forward to reading this.

I wasn’t really expecting much when I picked this up but after reading a couple of chapters I didn’t want to put the book down. I couldn’t relate to Hedda, I’ve never had an eating disorder, but I really felt for her and what she was going through.

I didn’t really know what to think of Hedda’s mother. There were some things she said and did that frustrated me so much. I know t
Hollybooks
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This isn’t really my type of book, but in the end I rather enjoyed it. It dealt with very sad issues and I liked how they showed anorexia as an illness (because it’s not just a wanting to be slim). I think the starti and end were very well written but the middle had no structure to it and was a little flat. Overall I thought this was a nice read, but felt like when the author was trying to make it sad, it became quite slow. The book did put across the message it wanted to, but wasn’t very well p ...more
Genevieve
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
So this was my second time reading this book, and I don’t know. In some moments it was good and in others it was just like I was reading Wattpad again.
Sandra "Jeanz"
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW
I aren't totally sure exactly what initially drew me to this book, but for some reason I got the same 'I have to read this' feeling that I got from Eileen Cook's With Malice.Though I think once I noticed this book cover and its byline caught my interest and made me curious. Especially the girl with her legs tucked under her chin. I wanted to know why she wanted to make herself look so small.

I did enjoy reading this book, I felt very drawn in and truly found myself both caring about what wo
Charlotte Burns
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eating Disorders in YA books is something that I wrote about for my final paper at university and it is a subject that has fascinated me since. Countless is one of the best books I have ever read on the topic, and is so different to other novels in this area.

I found it haunting that Hedda referred to her Anorexia as Nia. Nia is a person to her; at times Nia is the only person who understands Hedda, but she is also unbelievably cruel:

"Nia sits at the top of the lamp post.

Stupid cow, she hisses.

Al
Eve beinguniquebooks
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For Hedda life is changing fast, living alone in a ran down flat after leaving her eating disorder unit she had been in on and off since age twelve and not living at home or having the option to.

She now faces a big decision, right after her best friend and bulimic, Molly die in front of her from a heart attack months ago, she realises she would have conceived her now twenty three week old foetus around that time and as she faces the choice whether to terminate or have the baby she faces another
LoisReadsBooks
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This isn’t your typical Young Adult contemporary. This book has very little romance, a main character who cannot conquer all of her problems and there isn’t a magical cure for any problems that arise.

Countless is a heartbreaking perspective on what it is like to live with Anorexia. The main character Hedda has given all control of her life to her Anorexia or Nia as she likes to call it. This book contains no easy solutions to the problems that Hedda faces. There are no bandages to hide her wound
Ellen Brickley
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Where do I start?

Things I especially loved:
- A rich, rounded cast. Every character, and I do mean every one, has their own story going on.
- Great depiction of therapy, without descending into cuddliness or Magical Therapy Fixes Everything.
- Lovely portrayal of the power of motherhood without suggesting its a fix-all
- Hating on Hedda's Dad. That was fun.
- The realism. The wins here are hard-won.

So I loved this one, clearly, but it's not an easy read (just ask the people in Costa who had to watch
Bookish Justine
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have never cried at a book until now.

I thought it would be triggering for me, and at some points I didn't think I could read on but the more I read the more I just couldn't put the book down. Hedda became a friend, and I had to read through the end to see what happened to her.

It was a heartbreaking read, but I will never regret reading it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Weight of a Thousand Feathers
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Trouble
  • Clean
  • All The Things We Never Said
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • All About Mia
  • Meat Market
  • Margot & Me
  • Fierce Fragile Hearts (Beautiful Broken Things, #2)
  • On a Scale of One to Ten
  • Juniper Lemon's Happiness Index
  • Am I Normal Yet? (The Spinster Club, #1)
  • Lying About Last Summer
  • The Right Girl
  • Scars Like Wings
  • Orangeboy
  • Beautiful Broken Things (Beautiful Broken Things, #1)
Karen is the author of the YA novels Countless, Skylarks and I Hold Your Heart. She wrote her first story about Bantra the mouse at the age of twelve, then put away the word processor until her first child was born when she was overtaken by the urge to write. Karen lives in Wiltshire with her family and is represented by Claire Wilson at Rogers, Coleridge & White. ...more